Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Robviously posted:

I am legit surprised that they haven't gone the One Punch Man route and just gotten another artist to tell the HxH story at this point. I'm sure Togashi gets a say in if that's even a possibility but still.

It's almost certainly the case that Togashi doesn't want anybody else handling his work in this instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

So what they're saying is that no one has seen CSM and HxH in the same room at the same time. Hmm...

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Everyone's saying the announcement is gonna be for an anime adaptation, but I think the announcement is going to be that Hunter x Hunter is coming back with Fujimoto as illustrator.

nah that's not funny

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bible Ian Black posted:

Everyone's saying the announcement is gonna be for an anime adaptation, but I think the announcement is going to be that Hunter x Hunter is coming back with Fujimoto as illustrator.

nah that's not funny

*Fujimoto style Kurapika in suit barfing up a trashcan hotdog*

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
More fun panels from a re-read.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 4, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
apparently a lot of people are pissed that this is ending so soon because we still haven't gotten a deep dive on makima's backstory, meanwhile i am thankful

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's very Fujimoto of the author to do something like this, so I will probably like this sudden end.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While re-reading, I have a theory on how Denji beats Makima.

Makima thinks that Denji's contract with Pochita was for Denji to live a normal life. So Makima purposefully put Denji through hell to try and ruin that so he'd break the contract, presumably freeing Pochita and thus Chainsaw Man himself. However, Denji's ACTUAL contract was to show Pochita his dreams. We don't know what happens if a contract is broken - presumably the one who breaks it dies, or suffers some kind of punishment. Well, what if someone ELSE breaks the contract? Is Makima breaking the contract between Denji and Pochita by ripping them apart? If so, I wonder if whatever punishment is dealt to contract breakers will be dealt to her.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CodfishCartographer posted:

While re-reading, I have a theory on how Denji beats Makima.

Makima thinks that Denji's contract with Pochita was for Denji to live a normal life. So Makima purposefully put Denji through hell to try and ruin that so he'd break the contract, presumably freeing Pochita and thus Chainsaw Man himself. However, Denji's ACTUAL contract was to show Pochita his dreams. We don't know what happens if a contract is broken - presumably the one who breaks it dies, or suffers some kind of punishment. Well, what if someone ELSE breaks the contract? Is Makima breaking the contract between Denji and Pochita by ripping them apart? If so, I wonder if whatever punishment is dealt to contract breakers will be dealt to her.
Dude the raws are out: https://manatoki88.net/comic/6197436

That's a wrap

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Grouchio posted:

That's a wrap

Is there 1 more chapter or is this actually it? People kept saying "next week's chapter" but did that mean this week's release?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

That's a wrap

Oh welp, had no idea raws were out. Oh well! I'll wait for a speed translation at least, I don't like reading without knowing what's going on.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jerkface posted:

Is there 1 more chapter or is this actually it? People kept saying "next week's chapter" but did that mean this week's release?
The last page feels like a wrap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

It's the chapter after this one. There's supposed to be a color page and an announcement with the actual final chapter.

And I'm waiting for a translation, at minimum.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Grouchio posted:

That's a wrap

I can't wait to read the translation. This looks perfect in every way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jerkface posted:

There's one more.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://imgur.com/a/pVAyE3U

Speedscans.

I... I need a cigarette. And I don't even smoke.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Speed Translation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh.....
Oh.

Oh.....

No

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I burst out laughing at the last panel. Truly, this is the most Denji way of handling this kind of thing.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Makima: When I said eat me out Chainsaw Man I didn't mean it like this!

Also some great callbacks to the Reze fight. Denji hiding in a pile of corpses to catch Makima off guard reminds me of how Aki managed to attack Reze.

Oh and the Power chainsaw has little horns :3

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 4, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Speedscans.

I... I need a cigarette. And I don't even smoke.

I can't stop laughing. It truly is :perfect:

Denji finally got a dinner date with Makima.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah.

It's definitely something.

I mean... just...

It's very foreshadowed, it fits with the tone of the series, and it's completely hosed up. I haven't seen anyone call it beforehand, either, which is another point for Fujimoto.

Leaving aside the last part of the solution for a moment, that was a good trick on Denji's part. We saw Reze use a variant with a head body split all the way back in chapter 46, but keeping that going for this long? Kishibe's right. Denji's the best Devil Hunter alive.

(Looking back at the first chapter earlier today kinda confirmed it. The way Denji killed the Tomato Devil was a total pro's approach, complete with figuring out some tips for safe disposal. Easy to forget with all the crazy later, but Denji started the series as a near ten year veteran in a game where people who survive three years are ancient.)

Yep.

This manga's a classic. All that's left now is the epilogue.

Really excited for the final chapter next week. I knew I could trust Fujimoto's pacing. Lightning fast as it might be.

Edit: Holy crap.

The shot of Denji slicing into Makima with a chainsaw? That's a callback to the promo art!

This manga.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 4, 2020

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Hahaha

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
lmfao

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

:stare:

Well alright.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Last chapter damned well better be about Denji tracking down the Blood Devil.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

:piss:

This manga goes 10,000 mph and it doesn't feel at all unsatisfying. Gotdam.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh, Chainsaw Man.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So this should be completely unrelated to CSM’s erasing ability since it’s Denji eating her right? He just thought that since eating her isn’t “attacking” it’d bypass her immortality contract.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Yeah that's exactly what I didn't know I wanted.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Denji dealing with Makima like how Greebo deals with a vampire

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I would assume that Chainsaw Man's unique ability will work on Makima, though. Otherwise Denji will have a terrifying surprise in his toilet in a few days' time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Last chapter damned well better be about Denji tracking down the Blood Devil.

It's likely to come up, I think. Making a point of Power and Denji working together to kill Makima while Poochita was just a decoy suggests that the Blood Devil is going to be part of the epilogue.

That said, there's a lot of other things that make sense for the epilogue. Denji and Power's relationship was really important, but it wasn't the central dynamic of the manga (as seen with Power being gone for most of Bomb Devil without hurting the arc), so spending the whole thing on finding the Blood Devil would be a little odd.

I mean, just to start, Public Safety's down to just two known living employees (Denji and Kishibe), so that's probably worth a panel or two to handle how the government's going to cope. Kobeni's devil is still up in the air, we might find that out. Reze and the other hybrids can revive, so that probably is worth a bit of time to sort out. And then, if we're talking central dynamics in the manga, there's Denji and Makima, and there's Denji and Poochita. For Makima, there's seeing how this chapter plays out in the longer run. For Poochita, there's the fact the door is gone. He and Denji can see each other in dreams now.

And dreams have been a significant recurring theme here.

I dunno. There's a lot of directions to go here. I can't call which way things are going to wrap up.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ew.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I would assume that Chainsaw Man's unique ability will work on Makima, though. Otherwise Denji will have a terrifying surprise in his toilet in a few days' time.

Also why else would they bring it up?

Also hot drat this might be the best manga I've read, just consistently jaw dropping from beginning to end.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
That is not what I was expecting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I love this manga

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What does it say that I don't find that ending shocking whatsoever?

I really appreciate this manga that wanted to tell a story and did it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh my god.