Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Any tips for a new bmx rider? Like an idiot I decided to buy one to ride at the local pump track. I probably should have bought a dirt jumper instead...

Already managed to wheelie myself off the back of it and ate poo poo. I’m scared of the thing now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

e.pilot posted:

Hi bike thread, in addition to the original trash kit reorders happening after the holidays, I've been working on a follow on, this is what I have so far.

I will probably tweak a few more things but it's most of the way there I feel.

The renders make it look like it's leather, and I'm oddly aroused.

Do you have a render that shows it on a spongily overweight bod?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

n8r posted:

Any tips for a new bmx rider? Like an idiot I decided to buy one to ride at the local pump track. I probably should have bought a dirt jumper instead...

Already managed to wheelie myself off the back of it and ate poo poo. I’m scared of the thing now...

Welcome to my life. Bmx is better. Don’t stick your arms out when you bail. Watch so youtubes to figure out some basic newbie tricks like wheelies and hopping, you’re right where i was 2 years ago when i got my first bmx at 33

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Also i still eat poo poo on the regular, it just doesn’t hurt as much.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I know nothing about bikes other than what I have read in the OP. My wife and I are interesting in biking around town for some combination of fitness and commuting. It wouldn't be dedicated to either, as these isn't much in a biking distance to us, and we don't want to go out road cycling just to cycle. They would be used mostly to explore cities we travel to, and to bike around our rough country roads. I think, if I grok the OP, what we would be looking for are gravel bikes. Living in the country outside the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex, does anyone know of second hand shops in the area, or want to look through craigslist and pinkbike listings with me? I don't know what our budget is; it isn't very high, but I'm more interested in seeing what my options are before I decide how much money to allocate.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 4, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
People love volunteering looking at Craigslist. Post your two heights and rough body proportions.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

People love volunteering looking at Craigslist. Post your two heights and rough body proportions.

Lovely, will do in the AM when I can measure my partner. Thanks!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Killswitch posted:

Welcome to my life. Bmx is better. Don’t stick your arms out when you bail. Watch so youtubes to figure out some basic newbie tricks like wheelies and hopping, you’re right where i was 2 years ago when i got my first bmx at 33

Any videos you’d recommend?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Albinator posted:

The renders make it look like it's leather, and I'm oddly aroused.

Do you have a render that shows it on a spongily overweight bod?

Imagine Raphael from the Ninja Turtles but with his shell on the front.

Not a huge fan of the 7-11 colors but I am also an AMPM guy. Plus I'd like to see how the chest logo looks on the whole front like the palace kit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

n8r posted:

Any videos you’d recommend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtJpBuNI6fo

This guy was a full time instructor at camp woodward until he moved into his van.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
ok i really liked that video and it makes me want to learn bmx. i am 34 and i can't even do a wheelie on my bike lol (i mean it's a road bike but still). one thing though, he gets into a bunch of tricks that involve variations on bunny hopping, but he specifically says "i'm not gonna teach you how to bunny hop", and i just want to understand the mechanics of that. you can lift the front wheel by pulling on the bars, but how do you lift the back wheel? he's not clipped in to the pedals or using toe straps, so he can't pull with his legs really... is it just shifting your body weight that accomplishes it?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/hotwalk-carbon

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I want a Turbo Levo but that's more in my price range. Thank you.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Took me longer than I'd like to admit to understand what I was looking at.

FFS.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i just want to understand the mechanics of that. you can lift the front wheel by pulling on the bars, but how do you lift the back wheel?

You tilt the bike back enough so that pushing off pedals is pushing the rear wheel into the ground, and not just pushing the lifted front wheel back down. You’re using the bike as a pogo stick. As you rise up, you do a bit more work to bring the bike with you, keeping the pedals under your feet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why get your kid a tricycle when you can get them a carbon fiber triathlon balance bike with aero bars?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mystes posted:

Why get your kid a tricycle when you can get them a carbon fiber triathlon balance bike with aero bars?

Because balance bikes are better for learning (apparently), and this is the only balance bike in the world

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Because balance bikes are better for learning (apparently), and this is the only best balance bike in the world

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

for when both parents are dentists

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
My kid's balance bike was expensive. Also he hates it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

If I could attach pedals and ride this like a little clown bike I would buy it.

E: lol $1k Jesus Christ

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I need help finding two bikes, one for me, one for my spouse. I’m posting here and in the other bike thread, assuming most people are subbed to both. I don’t know anything about bikes other than what I read in the OP, so I’m very new. We want bikes to commute into town for fitness, and to use to explore cities when we are on vacation. I assume some kind of gravel bike is what we are looking for but please let me know if that’s off base. A sturdy road bike ought to do the trick, too. Also looking for recommendations for a bike rack to hold two bikes and fits on our 2006 Prius! Thanks, y’all.

Budget: Unknown-- maybe $1500 total? Give and take for the right bikes.
Length of commute: 7 miles one way, but also want bikes to explore cities when on vacation, so it varies a lot
Terrain: 95% paved roads but the rest is rough terrain, back-country roads

Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand):
DFW: https://dallas.craigslist.org/
Austin: https://austin.craigslist.org/

Me
Height: 5’9”
Inseam: 32.5”

Spouse
Height: 5’10”
Inseam: 33.5”

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

*squinting at bottom left corner*
...what the gently caress

Sab0921 posted:

My kid's balance bike was expensive. Also he hates it.

We got my 3 year old girl a $70 Banana Bike a few months ago, and she likes it but doesn't love it as much as I hoped, so I feel like that was the right price tier balance bike for us. I got one of these bells (in copper, because it was closest to pink) to go on her pink bike with matching pink helmet (colors all at her request), and I think that bell is her favorite thing about the bike. To be fair, the little sproingy bit is a lot of fun, it's like operating a bell using one of those coiled doorstops.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

*squinting at bottom left corner*
...what the gently caress

A decent balance bike is what, $150? So upgrading to the very top of the line is only $850?
Name another bike model where you can go from the worst tier to the absolutely top, losing 66% of the weight.
Honey? This is reasonable!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kimbo305 posted:

A decent balance bike is what, $150? So upgrading to the very top of the line is only $850?
Name another bike model where you can go from the worst tier to the absolutely top, losing 66% of the weight.
Honey? This is reasonable!

So, this was part of my decision to spend $400 on ordering a https://us.woombikes.com/products/3 this week. Real kids bikes with appropriate hand brakes for them are $300 minimum, it's only an extra $100 to get one that's 5 lbs lighter? It costs a lot more than $100 to lose 5 lbs from any adult bike.

I'm assuming that weight matters a lot more when the rider is 40lbs too.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

weight on a balance bike doesn't matter at all because a 3yo isn't racing uphill without pedals

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

weight on a balance bike doesn't matter at all because a 3yo isn't racing uphill without pedals

Cyclocross :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

I need help finding two bikes, one for me, one for my spouse. I’m posting here and in the other bike thread, assuming most people are subbed to both. I don’t know anything about bikes other than what I read in the OP, so I’m very new. We want bikes to commute into town for fitness, and to use to explore cities when we are on vacation. I assume some kind of gravel bike is what we are looking for but please let me know if that’s off base. A sturdy road bike ought to do the trick, too. Also looking for recommendations for a bike rack to hold two bikes and fits on our 2006 Prius! Thanks, y’all.

Budget: Unknown-- maybe $1500 total? Give and take for the right bikes.
Length of commute: 7 miles one way, but also want bikes to explore cities when on vacation, so it varies a lot
Terrain: 95% paved roads but the rest is rough terrain, back-country roads

Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand):
DFW: https://dallas.craigslist.org/
Austin: https://austin.craigslist.org/

Me
Height: 5’9”
Inseam: 32.5”

Spouse
Height: 5’10”
Inseam: 33.5”

Both of yall should be solidly in medium range, with your spouse needing to running relatively tall seatpost for mediums.

I don't see a huge reason to push drop bars for this use, but included a couple.
All of these should fit racks and fenders. In TX, you'll prob want to run racks and panniers/baskets to carry things off your back, if you'll be commuting in the long term.
Austin seems to have a bit more selection for rigid hybrids. Listed roughly in order of value, not price.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-haro-amos-22-commuter-gravel-bike/7227194556.html 11 speeds is great. I would jump on if it rides well.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-medium-175-inch-specialized/7233194655.html 7-speed, which is ok but not especially fine grained.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-jamis-allegro-sport/7241188322.html
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-liberty-gravity-cxd-54cm-road/7236108263.html 8-speed, still kind of coarse gear steps. This is $500 new, but you'd have to wait to get your hands on it, and know how to assemble: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_cxd.htm
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/d/roanoke-kona-rove-54cm-like-new/7225503047.html
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bik/d/denton-priority-continuum-onyx-belt/7230185126.html Belt drive will have better resale value, but the geared hub has a different pedal feel that you might not like.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-nishiki-manitoba-hybrid-aluminun/7220322899.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

It matters when they're constantly flinging it around and climbing over things with it and need to be able to carry it on their own.

I realized my kid was ready for pedals when she started taking the balance bike down and off of slides.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there an easy way to identify which model of the Specialized power saddle I have?

My understanding is that it goes:

Comp
Expert
Pro
S-Works

Of those, the Comp is easy to identify because the rails are labeled cro-moly, and the S-Works is branded as such.

However, both the Pro and the Expert use Ti rails. The only way I can tell is to squeeze them and see if I can feel the difference in padding. The pro should be firmer.

I’m asking because I had bought a Comp and received an Expert or a Pro.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ok i really liked that video and it makes me want to learn bmx. i am 34 and i can't even do a wheelie on my bike lol (i mean it's a road bike but still). one thing though, he gets into a bunch of tricks that involve variations on bunny hopping, but he specifically says "i'm not gonna teach you how to bunny hop", and i just want to understand the mechanics of that. you can lift the front wheel by pulling on the bars, but how do you lift the back wheel? he's not clipped in to the pedals or using toe straps, so he can't pull with his legs really... is it just shifting your body weight that accomplishes it?

https://youtu.be/Lntt0Ar7FMU

You pull up and then at the highest point you shove the bars forward and that makes the bike want to rotate and level out.

You are doing this with the bars while basically jumping up with your whole body. After working on the timing, your bike will follow your jump and your pedals will stay with your feet as you jump.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is there an easy way to identify which model of the Specialized power saddle I have?

Comp
Expert
Pro
S-Works

Of those, the Comp is easy to identify because the rails are labeled cro-moly, and the S-Works is branded as such.

However, both the Pro and the Expert use Ti rails. The only way I can tell is to squeeze them and see if I can feel the difference in padding. The pro should be firmer.

Could weigh it and see which model its closer to

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Power or Power Arc? I have an Arc Expert, I can check if there's a label somewhere.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

kimbo305 posted:

You tilt the bike back enough so that pushing off pedals is pushing the rear wheel into the ground, and not just pushing the lifted front wheel back down. You’re using the bike as a pogo stick. As you rise up, you do a bit more work to bring the bike with you, keeping the pedals under your feet.

ohhhhhh

kill me now posted:

https://youtu.be/Lntt0Ar7FMU

You pull up and then at the highest point you shove the bars forward and that makes the bike want to rotate and level out.

You are doing this with the bars while basically jumping up with your whole body. After working on the timing, your bike will follow your jump and your pedals will stay with your feet as you jump.

nice i feel like i get it now thanks folks

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I've been back biking a lot for about 9-10 months now so still figuring things out. I ride an old early 90s rigid mountain bike, mostly on gravel and dirt roads. In the last week I have gotten three really slow flats from punctured tubes. It's not an abrupt flat at all, there are hours of riding between them and losing pressure pretty slowly, but three tubes in a week seems like something is up. I have felt around the inside of the tire several times for anything sharp and I can't feel anything, but it's weird that it keeps happening. Should I try taking it to a shop, or don't bother with spending money on them if they'll tell me to buy a new tire anyways so just do that now and skip a step?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Had a dude in a busted Camry go completely apeshit that I blew a stopsign that he was coming up to tonight. Chased me to the next intersection where he almost clipped my rear tire and I had to dip into an alley to disengage.

Urban cycling loving rules. I love it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

A decent balance bike is what, $150?
A puky LR M is under a hundo.

gohuskies posted:

Should I try taking it to a shop, or don't bother with spending money on them if they'll tell me to buy a new tire anyways so just do that now and skip a step?
This is why you align the valve stem with the tire branding. So you once you locate the tube damage you can see exactly where it corresponds to inside the tire or rim.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 5, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sweat poteto posted:

Power or Power Arc? I have an Arc Expert, I can check if there's a label somewhere.

Original, non-arc. If the arc has a label somewhere let me know, maybe the regular one does and I’m missing it.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Comp
Expert
Pro
S-Works

Apparently the Comp has decals on the rails now but mine doesn't, you might just have an older version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Busted out a 180km today and HOLY gently caress but constant headwind everywhere murdered me. Especially on the coast it was just constant winds at according to my app 12m/s, but whatever the case it was by far the strongest headwind I’ve ridden in and it was crazy how much it slowed me down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!