Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I set up a scanner room around those lily islands. I can see it go much deeper than I can take the truck. I did take a trip down to 450m for an artifact, but it was a straight shot I could see clear to the surface. Magnetite would be nice, half the time I can't figure out what an 'anomaly' ping is, but it feels like they want to delay that upgrade until I find the spiral plant for synthetic fabric at least. Also lacking a laser cutter, I probably missed it just like the habitat builder. I found an early ore thing underwater with silver/gold, but I haven't spent much time on land.

One nice thing, I'm not sure if this is intended or a bug? I started my base with a Scanner room and the multipurpose/Moonpool rooms don't have the goofy legs stretching to the sea floor. Spent so much time in the first one banging into those things.

edit: like 5 minutes after posting this I found the spiral plant, neat

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I had to look up the spiral plant due to where it's found. Didn't even think to go *inside*... that.

Also regarding magnetite, the first place I found it was actually inside a giant iceberg with a fissure. A little voice in my head gave me a heads up about it. (Not that one, the first one)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Those plants are found outside also.
But rarely.
I found some where the purple blasty explody bubbles are, but the deep lower part.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There's also a few in the thermal vent areas, but they're hard to spot.

I held on to the cuttings I got like precious gems to stuff into grow beds, but that particular plant seems glitchy in them right now and it kept acting like I was slashing metal when I tried to harvest them afterwards. :v: Early Access!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

OgNar posted:

Those plants are found outside also.
But rarely.
I found some where the purple blasty explody bubbles are, but the deep lower part.
I think this is where I found it. That cave with all the sea monkey nests with goodies stuffed inside.

Bussamove posted:

There's also a few in the thermal vent areas, but they're hard to spot.

I held on to the cuttings I got like precious gems to stuff into grow beds, but that particular plant seems glitchy in them right now and it kept acting like I was slashing metal when I tried to harvest them afterwards. :v: Early Access!
Planting in general is kinda rough? I put a creep vine, not the seed, into a planter bed and the game just rolled with it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
You could do that in the original as well. Planting a vine will only give you the vine with no seeds. If you want to harvest the seeds you need to plant the seed originally.

I'm not sure why they made that a feature and kept it in as it's the only plant that behaves like that at all.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

HiKaizer posted:

You could do that in the original as well. Planting a vine will only give you the vine with no seeds. If you want to harvest the seeds you need to plant the seed originally.

I'm not sure why they made that a feature and kept it in as it's the only plant that behaves like that at all.

It's because the creepvine and the creepvine with seeds are basically two different plants insofar as how fast they grow and their effects upon their environment. The seeds' luminescence, in particular, isn't always desired, particularly when one just wants more fabric, not rubber or lube, or even, in desperation, food for an early vegetarian run. It also, as kind of obliquely mentioned, grows way faster than a creepvine with seeds does, so it's ready for harvesting way faster, and if you're planting one to harvest for cloth fabric, not the seeds, that will make a big difference for efficiency/patience.

Note that you can just 'plant' a lot of other plants, too, including the mushrooms, gel sacks, melons, etc, the difference being that you can't harvest from them multiple times the way you can a creepvine, before it gets removed from a planter (or the soil it naturally grows in), so they just 'continue existing' in singular form in your planter the same way they had in your inventory (with the difference for melons being that they stop rotting).

It's a good thing, not a bug.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Well this is cool, Below Zero update.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-below-zero-teeny-tiny-update/

"Complete encyclopedia, tooltips, names, descriptions and PDA text."

:monocle:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Be nice if they fixed the goddamned PS4 version of the original game sometime before they finish BZ.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Its called the teeny tiny update and its 2.7g

"Hopefully, this update will serve as a hold-over through the holiday season and make your Early Access experience that little bit more polished!"

From this wording I would expect at least another 3 months.
Bare minimum.

e: Has anyone got more than 11/13 achievements?
I assume at least one is for finishing, can't figure out the other though.

e2: Deconstructing seems to have new animation and sounds, i've also come across a freshly picked up poster with a ? on it.
Guess they didnt get all of them yet.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 4, 2020

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Gahd dang it! I held a small hope this would be ready for my holiday break. Oh well.

I know others have said it's basically finished, but with no ending.

:negative:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's because the creepvine and the creepvine with seeds are basically two different plants insofar as how fast they grow and their effects upon their environment. The seeds' luminescence, in particular, isn't always desired, particularly when one just wants more fabric, not rubber or lube, or even, in desperation, food for an early vegetarian run. It also, as kind of obliquely mentioned, grows way faster than a creepvine with seeds does, so it's ready for harvesting way faster, and if you're planting one to harvest for cloth fabric, not the seeds, that will make a big difference for efficiency/patience.

Note that you can just 'plant' a lot of other plants, too, including the mushrooms, gel sacks, melons, etc, the difference being that you can't harvest from them multiple times the way you can a creepvine, before it gets removed from a planter (or the soil it naturally grows in), so they just 'continue existing' in singular form in your planter the same way they had in your inventory (with the difference for melons being that they stop rotting).

It's a good thing, not a bug.

I never said it was a bug, just a feature I thought was a bit redundant. In my own runs I never was bothered by the time difference but if it has been helpful to you then I guess that's good. Beyond that I have no thoughts or feelings or feelings on the matter.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

GD_American posted:

Be nice if they fixed the goddamned PS4 version of the original game sometime before they finish BZ.

The year is 2020, post-release support is a luxury and no product should ever be purchased on the assumption that "They will fix that".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Serephina posted:

The year is 2020, post-release support is a luxury and no product should ever be purchased on the assumption that "They will fix that".

As opposed to the old days, where if you wanted to have a bug fixed, you needed to mail your save game on a floppy disk to the devs through the US postal service.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

As opposed to the old days, where if you wanted to have a bug fixed, you needed to mail your save game on a floppy disk to the devs through the US postal service.

Outpost was “fun” and worth the wait for them to mail it back. :colbert:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Well no, back in those days nobody even thought post-release patches where possible, so if the game had bugs/bad features reviewers just said so. ET on amiga? Craptacular, famously so. Ultima 8? Terrible performance, nobody bought it.

We all raised our expectations in the 2000's when every major studio kept patching for ages (but releases weren't necessarily flawless), but somewhere along the line patches got less popular in favor of taking the money and moving on. I have bought/seen more than one Early Access game where people are acting shocked, shocked, that some random thing wasn't totally reworked before release.

This isn't offtopic, this is relevant because You shouldn't buy the farking game until you know it's good. I'm not exactly bubbling with goodwill for UWE, and the PS4 comment doesn't surprise me after some of the other technical marvels they've done.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Serephina posted:

The unspoken assumption there is of an informed consumer.

There was no warning in the Playstation store about "by the way, this game only saves up to a certain point then all your poo poo is gone"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey uh, anyone build bases in cool places in either original or BZ and can get and post neat stills or short videos (ideally loop friendly) of the great views from inside that I can use for Zoom backgrounds?

:v:

I figure creatures in the containment tank or aquarium could also be neat.

I'd make them myself but Subnautica does not run at a good FPS at any of the medium or better graphics settings. :(

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Hey uh, anyone build bases in cool places in either original or BZ and can get and post neat stills or short videos (ideally loop friendly) of the great views from inside that I can use for Zoom backgrounds?

I have an album for my base here:

https://imgur.com/a/1niw0X8

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

any news on when below zero will be on PS4 PS5?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

LionArcher posted:

any news on when below zero will be on PS4 PS5?

If it's anything like subnautica on PS4 I wouldn't bother.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

uPen posted:

If it's anything like subnautica on PS4 I wouldn't bother.

This. I simultaneously enjoyed the game and would never recommend it to anyone.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I've got the itch to play Below Zero, but when I tried I saw there were still some codex entries missing. Is everything I need for the story in place? I'm wondering if the missing codices are just for bonus side stuff.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No, it's still not 1.0

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

I have an album for my base here:

https://imgur.com/a/1niw0X8

These are great, thanks!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Decided to dip in to Below Zero again randomly this afternoon, wound up playing for like 4-5 hours on a new game. Last time I played was about six months ago. Impressions:
  • Feels much more like a completed game with all the voice acting, icons, and entries seemingly there. Did notice a few small typos in log entries but not enough to detract from the whole experience. Haven't explored too widely but no big empty areas yet.
  • Either a second playthrough is making me ruthlessly efficient, or they've made the early game a lot more generous - there were Seaglide fragments scattered almost deliberately around the lifepod, and I got a sea truck in relatively short order. Towards the end of my session I found P.R.A.W.N. suit base, which I never managed in my original run of about 30 hours. There's a scripted event that triggered not too long into the game that led me to base where I was able to scan a heap of stuff, which feels like it might make some of the later exploring a bit anticlimactic.
  • So far pretty chill and relaxing, haven't had too much trouble with mobs. Forgot how much I enjoy just cruising around, looking for minerals/fragments, and checking out the sea life/seascapes :3:
  • No bugs yet (!)

Overall enjoying it and it feels a lot better than it did on the earlier build I was playing, although full disclosure I have barely been on land yet.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Magnetite is a bit tougher in BZ, it's in a few scattered places but I believe I got my first pieces in the deep twisty bridges luckily you don't need too much of it.
You'll find more when you find the prawn suit lady again. When you do, I recommend building a base there

Below Zero. Finally hit the second spoiler part, but bass-ackwards as usual. I'm not even sure where I went down, but I descended into the Shadow Leviathan area, picked up some Kyanite. Coming back up from another path I stumbled upon her base. Went inside, met her dog.

So I know it's kinda intrinsic to the game, but I will absolutely force quit every time my camera gets grabbed by something. Don't like it. Hate it. Won't put up with that nonsense. I used to give the shiny seahorses leeway until one got me bit by a shark. I have, multiple times, lost progress because of a Moonpool animation and a twitchy alt-f4. So it's been kinda fun working around the Shadow guy.

The first time my PDA announced "lol there's a leviathan here? did u know?" Right before he grabbed me from behind. The second time I took a big loop around the side, clung to the wall, only to run smack dab into him face first. From there it was mostly working around the perimeter and waiting for him to cycle through, caught his attention a couple times trying to build a deep scanner room.. I miss the 'free' cameras from the first one's scanner rooms, it was like getting a beacon tacked onto the side. I dropped the prawn suit at the place for my next real base. The sea moth can hit 1000 now. Good times in the frozen north!

Oh and I dug through old PDA entries, lmao at Alterra immediately starting to test Kharaa variants? No way that could backfire!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

[*]No bugs yet (!)
[/list]

Haha, nm. Maybe my most random one yet - was truckin' around the spires and all of a sudden my screen just faded to black and said "You died".

I respawned in the back section (back at my base), with my character stuck in the sitting position. Going into my base didn't fix it. I decided to try and swim back to the vehicle and I randomly exploded after hitting a few walls. Fortunately I'd saved 5 minutes before, but still.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Came across an LP of Subnautica that was started like 2 weeks ago by someone saying they are an aquatic scientist, or at least in school for it.
Always funny to see someones reaction to the Sunbeam coming in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Base price of below zero being increased from 20 bucks to 30 bucks on January 5th.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

OgNar posted:

Came across an LP of Subnautica that was started like 2 weeks ago by someone saying they are an aquatic scientist, or at least in school for it.
Always funny to see someones reaction to the Sunbeam coming in.

link?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sure.
Not your average LPer as she mentions this is her first PC game.
But I always like a fresh perspective on a game I enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL70KgbsIbcYNkFfAIygmRoVswLSQjy960

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

GD_American posted:

This. I simultaneously enjoyed the game and would never recommend it to anyone.

https://twitter.com/SubnauticaPS/status/1339683488191164417?s=19

Good news GD. Your wishes have been granted.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I just saw that. We'll see lol

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Recent is an odd choice to use when the save corruption bug was present when I played on PS4 like a year ago.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I waited to play Subnautica until the 1.0 release and didn't regret it. Even at that stage, the game was pretty janky.

Definitely waiting until Below Zero reaches a similar state.

Edit: I also don't know if I can forgive them for killing the Cyclops. Sea Truck just ain't the same.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

OgNar posted:

Sure.
Not your average LPer as she mentions this is her first PC game.
But I always like a fresh perspective on a game I enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL70KgbsIbcYNkFfAIygmRoVswLSQjy960

if she's a fan of cephalopods, I'm a fan of her

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Skippy McPants posted:

I waited to play Subnautica until the 1.0 release and didn't regret it. Even at that stage, the game was pretty janky.

Definitely waiting until Below Zero reaches a similar state.

Edit: I also don't know if I can forgive them for killing the Cyclops. Sea Truck just ain't the same.

It's fine - been playing quite a bit the last week or so and it feels pretty much complete.

Cyclops had a bit more personality but Sea Truck works just fine.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It's fine - been playing quite a bit the last week or so and it feels pretty much complete.

Cyclops had a bit more personality but Sea Truck works just fine.

Have they changed the base move speed in any of the recent updates? The idea of replacing the Seamoth and Cyclops with a single modular vehicle is interesting, but piloting a Sea Truck with no modules and having to keep using the boost upgrade every few seconds to get roughly the same speed as the Seamoth felt like a bad design choice having played the first game. It would be better to either increase the base move speed to equal the Seamoth inherently, or replace the activated boost upgrade with an upgrade that brings the base move speed to Seamoth levels. When I played a few updates ago it still felt sluggish and there didn't seem to be any good reason for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The sea truck is growing on me. I'm running 2 though, one for exploration (bed-storage-aquarium-dock/PRAWN, with depth module and afterburner), and another for base-building and storage (3x storage + fabricator). I've got 2 actual cabs, mostly so I can skip swapping one cab back and forth. They get too unwieldy after 4 cars, at least without the horsepower boost (which I've yet to find :v: ).

Anyone got a good place for base building? I'm camped out near the Delta lab docks for now, I was hunting for PRAWN suit parts in the wrecks and that area is loving loaded so I just settled there after my first mini-base near the escape pod :)