Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

homeless snail posted:

learning to play without lock on sometimes is a valuable dark souls skill

Rarely used but incredibly important skill to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
of all the things folks have copied from dark souls over the years, i wish the controls were more widespread. having movement, attacking, blocking, and camera all on different fingers, is good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

learning to play without lock on sometimes is a valuable dark souls skill

This brings me to an important tip for all Dark Souls games:

Never, ever lock in if you're fighting a dragon. Ever. Every dragon you could ever fight in the series is surprisingly manageable if you're not locked on, and will utterly wreck you if you are.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

This brings me to an important tip for all Dark Souls games:

Never, ever lock in if you're fighting a dragon. Ever. Every dragon you could ever fight in the series is surprisingly manageable if you're not locked on, and will utterly wreck you if you are.

What about a crossbreed dragon though?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I can't believe FAK doesn't have Wizard101 on their top games list

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Started playing Elite Dangerous and all I want to be is a space trucker.

This is how I play Elite Dangerous. Looking to finally be able to do it in VR.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like elite dangerous but I completely hosed up my save years ago and I'm pretty sure there's no coming back

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

Of that list I have played all bar 2 of them (Dragon Quest Heroes and Hellblade) and of them 8 appear in my top 40 of all time list - 4 in the top 10.

You should play Hellblade, with headphones, in the dark

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

VideoGames posted:

Whereabouts are you?

I am in darkroot and have beaten (boss spoilers) Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, Bell Gargoyle, Moonlight Butterfly, Ornstein & Smough, Havel, Chaos Witch Quelaag, Iron Golem and Gaping Dragon.

I am currently rocking two awesome rings, a great club and the black knight armour :D Powerful clubbering!

This is my very first run through! I am a pyromancer with a club though.

Doh I was riffing off your post and not honestly saying I was gonna Dark Souls tonight, my bad :sweatdrop:

As a boomer gamer, Dark Souls is one of the few franchises I have never actually played :o:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dark souls is almost 10 years old, its a boomer game now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SDR2 Chapter 2:

Uh oh gangster boy got the motive

Nagito status: still loving bugnuts

aaaaaa it's a game within a game, neat!

Well Girl E is obviously sus

Oh and now Girl E is dead. Told ya she was sus

Twilight Syndrome controls: janky controls, plot doesn't make sense, outdated graphics, 2/10

Oh cool now I'm gonna help Kazuichi stalk Sonia. Cool. Cool cool cool

Oh poo poo there's too many people coming and going from the beach I'm getting bad vibes

NO I DO NOT NEED A BUNCH OF BIKINI SHOTS GODAMMIT

Lol Sonia in a wetsuit kinda made that worth it WAIT KAZUICHI NO FFS

WELP SOMEONE DEAD WHO DEAD

Oh buh bye Mahiru, at least you're not someone I care about :wave:

Anyway the instant reaction here is that this was Kuzuryu but that's probably the red herring

Character Rankings

1. Ibuki (musician) - ok Ibuki is definitely queer and I am here for it
2. Nidai (manager) - would totally let him do "it" to me
3. Nanami (gamer) - hopefully will not have an unfortunate gamer moment
4. Kuzuryu (gangster) - clearly the Togami of this game (apart from y'know, Togami)
5. Akane (gymnast) - a girl after my own heart
6. Sonia (princess) - appreciate the trolling
7. Hiyoko (dancer) - the way she attached to Mahiru was kinda cute
8. Peko (swords) - still basically just there
9. Hajime (gently caress knows) - stop enabling Kazuichi
10. Mahiru (photos) - not gonna miss you
11. Gundam (pets) - maybe you wouldn't be lonely if you stopped being such a goddam weirdo
12. Mikan (nurse) - at least she wasn't one of the bikini girls
13. Kazuichi (mechanic) - so very gross
14. Nagito (crazy) - even tied up you're creepy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They called the second souls game Dark Souls 1

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

homeless snail posted:

dark souls is almost 10 years old, its a boomer game now

I remember when the Atari 2600 released, what is this new fangled Dark Souls you speak of? :corsair:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know much about the danganronpa community but I always assumed nagito was one of the more popular characters

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know much about the danganronpa community but I always assumed nagito was one of the more popular characters

I assumed he was the protagonist just from how popular he was

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Steam forums for the Sam and Max remaster are entirely crying that they rewrote some questionable lines at the time to be less offensive

Never change Steam

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Steam forums for the Sam and Max remaster are entirely crying that they rewrote some questionable lines at the time to be less offensive

Never change Steam

Loving the comments that Skunkape is racist because they replaced the white guy who played Bosco in the original. loving dweebs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

stev posted:

Loving the comments that Skunkape is racist because they replaced the white guy who played Bosco in the original. loving dweebs.

I don't think I even realized it was a white guy voicing him at the time (for everyone else, the character is black and played mostly as a joke, since he's a paranoid conspiracy theorist with the punchline being that he is right regularly). Steam whining aside looking through the list of jokes they rewrote and wow this was a lot more dated than I thought, I'm glad they put the time in to actually do that. I hope they're able to remaster the other seasons and work on something of their own down the line.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I can't believe FAK doesn't have Wizard101 on their top games list

None of the content I've played came out this year :v:

The candy world is new but it's level 130 content and I'm still in content from 2010

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Help Im Alive posted:

He's a good character, he's just also a goddam psycho who will ruin me

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I even realized it was a white guy voicing him at the time (for everyone else, the character is black and played mostly as a joke, since he's a paranoid conspiracy theorist with the punchline being that he is right regularly). Steam whining aside looking through the list of jokes they rewrote and wow this was a lot more dated than I thought, I'm glad they put the time in to actually do that. I hope they're able to remaster the other seasons and work on something of their own down the line.

They have spots for season 2 and 3 on their website so hopefully at the least they can remaster those, wouldn't mind some more Sam & Max or just original games from them too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Wouldn’t mind seeing the list of rewritten jokes, got a link?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Wouldn’t mind seeing the list of rewritten jokes, got a link?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1440440/discussions/0/2965021152083053792/#c2965021152083325676

That seems fairly comprehensive. I don't remember most of that either lol but in retrospect

quote:

They also removed a lot of dialogue, such as:

1-"Why the sex change"

Sam: Mind telling us how you came to be a woman?

Max: Did you use lasers, or just do it the old-fashioned way?

Bosco: Are you sassin' me? Boy I'll whup your behind so hard you won't be able to see straight!

Max: But I don't see out of my behind.

Bosco: You will after I get through with you!

2- "How's life as a woman?"

Sam: So how are those BoscoTech breasts holdin' up?

Bosco: Oh, these are all natural, honey.

Max: I'm not gonna lie, I like 'em bosomy.

Bosco: Oh, Max, you take after your father.

Max: Okay, you just crossed the line, pal!

Sam: Easy Max, theoretically, we have even more disturbed people to worry about right now.

That's not great

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Transphobic jokes were way more popular in the 00s than people remember

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rarity posted:

Yeah :smith:

I'm glad they made the changes they did, the games aren't meant to be meanspirited and a lot of that crosses a line now (and probably then too if I was paying attention)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr E posted:

They have spots for season 2 and 3 on their website so hopefully at the least they can remaster those, wouldn't mind some more Sam & Max or just original games from them too.

Yeah a proper, non-episodic sequel would be great to see. AFAIK the team is tiny at the moment though so I don't know how realistic that is unless these remasters do really well.

Rarity posted:

Go back and watch pretty much any episode of HIMYM, even the later ones. It's wild how consistent and frequent the transphobic jokes are. (Actually don't do this).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

stev posted:

Yeah a proper, non-episodic sequel would be great to see. AFAIK the team is tiny at the moment though so I don't know how realistic that is unless these remasters do really well.

I think what makes these changes impressive personally is that they're a small team of ex-Telltale devs and this is pretty obviously a "what can we toss out cheaply and easily to make any cash at all" and they did that anyway.

I felt like they nailed the episodic structure though, each game is about an hour and a half to two hours, so perfect for a single sitting. I'd set aside a weekend afternoon to go through it.

quote:

Go back and watch pretty much any episode of HIMYM, even the later ones. It's wild how consistent and frequent the transphobic jokes are. (Actually don't do this).

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia had a fair few too

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah :smith:

I'm glad they made the changes they did, the games aren't meant to be meanspirited and a lot of that crosses a line now (and probably then too if I was paying attention)

The thing to remember with jokes like this is they always crossed the line, only the line wasn't as firmly drawn in the sand back then.

I wonder what we will be embarrassed by in 20 years that we do now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Walla posted:

I wonder what we will be embarrassed by in 20 years that we do now.
jokes about disabilities, since that is still a line people love to cross

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rarity posted:

Futurama is thick with them which is painfully unfunny for a show set in the year 3000. One or two of those episodes are about as regressive as you'd expect a South Park episode to be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1334909174673670147?s=20

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

jokes about disabilities, since that is still a line people love to cross

The only jokes like that I see is differently abled comics taking the piss out of typical people. Thankfully

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this past year had a lot of speculation and mockery of both presidential candidates having a litany of possible disabilities/mental illness and they still are doing it tbh. so i see it a lot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

this past year had a lot of speculation and mockery of both presidential candidates having a litany of possible disabilities/mental illness and they still are doing it tbh. so i see it a lot
i don't think that acknowledging that both of them are barely coherent is ableism

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Why are the reviews of Empire Of Sin tanking so? The game looks promising.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Frekkie Melody posted:

if one whole half of the game (the economy simulation) is worthless the whole game suffers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:ohdear:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Frekkie Melody posted:

Reading reviews it seems like there's some love put into the game but they forgot to actually add depth to the actual game part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new humble choice has both frog detective games