Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i hate boring interior design. wind candles made of recycled wood that just sit there and nobody ever lights them, little stupid pillows nobody likes, everything is grey or slate colored, slate colored corner sofa with a glass table, toilet has a framed image of two baby angels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

margaret atwood has a really annoying face and her books are bad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My app list is multiple pages long. When I uninstall an app, it rearranges the apps on that page of the app list, but it doesn't fill in the end with apps from the next page, so there's just a blank at the end. Installing a new app also goes to the last page rather than filling in the earliest blank.

This shouldn't be this hard!!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The relatively new web thing where a video will be playing at the top of a page full of text that I want to read, and scrolling down past the video, about which I could not care less, swoops it down into a little box in the lower corner of the screen, still playing, the X to close it a tiny dark gray-on-black target.

Why does everything have to have, or be, a god damned video. (I mean, I know why, this is just a rhetorical lament.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pastry of the Year posted:

The relatively new web thing where a video will be playing at the top of a page full of text that I want to read, and scrolling down past the video, about which I could not care less, swoops it down into a little box in the lower corner of the screen, still playing, the X to close it a tiny dark gray-on-black target.

AutoplayStopper for Chrome
Disable AutoPlay for Firefox

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hey, thanks!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: Wrong thread

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

How phone companies/android just don't give the slightest of shits about stuff like notification fatigue.

My last phone, due to having Cyanogenmod installed (custom android) had an incredible feature where if an app ran a notification sound/etc, it would automatically be muted when doing so again for the next X min. (1-60 min possible.)
It was amazing, because it just completely removed that loving aspect of 'oh god someone is talking in a group chat again and the phone is honking and hollering constantly' that's so frustrating.

With normal android, even years later the only option it to drop it into do not disturb or silent if you start getting annoyed by notifications, which is a pretty bad approach.
(And apparently it's wildly variable if your phone gives you access to this feature even though it apparently exists in android. Supposedly a per-app minimum interval was added back in Nougat.)
-Some- applications have toggles where you can silence them for a while, I think maybe facebook messenger had a 'silence this chat for the next X', but the cyanogenmod thing was easy and system wide if I remember correctly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No matter what hour of day there is always one person passing my driveway as I pull out. It's a tiny wait but it's so strange that literally every time I pull out there's a car going by, and almost always only the one. If my street were super busy I would probably be annoyed but resigned, but the single car whenever I pull out is just maddening. I started to think I might be mentally writing off times it didn't happen, so I started to keep actual track and it's real, it's really happening so I guess that's just something I have to accept

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I hate when execs & other teams in my company push a shitload of work during the last 3 months of the year because of poor planning. Right now we're coordinating an office move from our current one to the new one across the street, on top of getting iPads returned (around 50) that need wiped & reloaded. On top of that we've got a bunch of new training that needs to be done by end of year & half the team hasn't been able to get it done because something else always comes up that gets treated like an emergency. The godawful communication is the worst part though because we end up finding out about all this poo poo at the last second with someone trying to "force" a schedule on us & get 10 people to do the work of 100 in less than a month.

Thank gently caress I paid off all my debt & have a healthy savings going, I'm honestly sick of working IT after 15 years of trash people, bad decisions & lack of accountability. My stepdad already had a heart attack a couple years ago from stress at his job & last thing I need is to end up in the same spot with a stupid, careless company working me into an early grave.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Ugh, especially when I'm trying to follow a recipe on my phone! I already had to scroll down for pages upon pages just to get to the actual recipe! :argh:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
pro apartment designing tips: if the microwave is mounted way up in the air above the stove, that sucks

the heat from the stove melts the bottom of the microwave all the time

having to hold a bowl of boiling reheated soup above my head to get it out of the microwave is mad dangerous

just set it on the loving counter, i already have to carry a ladder around the place for enough normal daily activities

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
time to go do the god damned dishes at the sink that's designed for people a foot taller than me, watch me stand on my adorable little stool

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hirayuki posted:

Ugh, especially when I'm trying to follow a recipe on my phone! I already had to scroll down for pages upon pages just to get to the actual recipe! :argh:

Recipe Filter is an excellent little extension that works with most recipe blogs (because they all use the same backend, Wordpress probably?)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recipe-filter/ahlcdjbkdaegmljnnncfnhiioiadakae?hl=en

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

pro apartment designing tips: if the microwave is mounted way up in the air above the stove, that sucks

having to hold a bowl of boiling reheated soup above my head to get it out of the microwave is mad dangerous

just set it on the loving counter, i already have to carry a ladder around the place for enough normal daily activities

But without the microwave’s vent fan to rely on how will they skimp on proper kitchen ventilation?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But without the microwave’s vent fan to rely on how will they skimp on proper kitchen ventilation?

I haven't lived in a place with REAL stove ventilation since...2006? 2007? And even then, it was a "downdraft" style vent in the middle of the stove. More effective than the lovely "recirculating hoods" that are commonly part of the over-the-stove microwaves (and even non-microwave hoods) but hardly a proper "over the stove, vents outside" hood.

And most of those places have their stoves installed on outside walls! I can at least understand if it's on an interior wall, and/or an apartment where there's no easy way to just go up through the roof. But both my current home, actual full home, and previous actual full home, have stoves on exterior walls but still just lovely recirculating hoods.

Granted, I lived in the last place for 4 years and had the opportunity, technically, to install one but I kept putting it off on the theory that I was TOTALLY going to redo the kitchen next summer, so I'll just do it then...but then never did.

I've been in my current place for a year and I'm doing the same excuses, so...yeah. At this point no one to blame but me, and the cost of a new vent hood+stove combo (cause it seems silyl to be to buy JUST a hood when I have an old stove that could use replacing anyway.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

No one needs a microwave, I lived without one for almost 10 years, and it was fantastic. The only reason I have one is because this apartment has one built in above the stove.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Recipe Filter is an excellent little extension that works with most recipe blogs (because they all use the same backend, Wordpress probably?)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recipe-filter/ahlcdjbkdaegmljnnncfnhiioiadakae?hl=en
Very nice--thanks! I don't know if it'll work on my phone, though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
5 star based rating systems where you know you either have to give 5 stars or you are putting someone's job at risk.

I had an instacart shopper that went off on me with like 15 texts about how inconsiderate I was for not telling them which staircases to take to get to my place and guilt tripping me for making them climb up "so many stairs with so many bags" and that "people unfamiliar with the property have no way of knowing which stairs to take".

I agreed wholeheartedly, which is exactly why I put "MOST GPS APPS ARE MISLEADING" in all caps before my delivery instructions and provide step by step directions on what to do once you get in the complex. I re-typed the directions they already had and all I got was a "HERE" response with my order haphazardly tossed at my door with some jars almost rolling off the landing.

In a vacuum I would say that warrants a 1 star, but I feel like I can't be honest without being a jerk and hurting people worse off than me, so I felt compelled to give a 5 star and just say "please read the delivery instructions next time" in the notes. Which they'll ignore, I'm sure.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

No one needs a microwave, I lived without one for almost 10 years, and it was fantastic. The only reason I have one is because this apartment has one built in above the stove.

You need one if running the oven means increasing the indoor temperature from 78F to 83.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
People going "ummmmmm there's no grand conspiracy here" when I point out a fact that's plainly obvious and probably not even malicious in intent. Like.. I wasn't fuckin' trying to imply that the local bakery is causing bigfoots to steal submarines when I said that the biscotti costs way too much. Chill way the gently caress out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Uber launched in my area I guess, because google maps now consistently shows "take a bus here and call an uber!" When I calculate a bus route home, and theres no button for "if I wanted an uber I'd use loving uber and not the bus routes apps you worthless fucks"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

google maps sucks because it makes assumptions about how you want to go around. i don't mind a 2km walk if the alternative is to wait for a bus for 20mins to cover the same distance, but theres no way to tell it this so it just invents some slowass route using multiple stops

as far as i know theres also no way to tell it to keep a route simple or use as few turns as possible so you dont constantly have to look at it while driving. i also never found a way to put it in a "dont turn off the screen" car navigation mode without leaving an overhead view or preventing it from rotating the map. i refuse to use anything that rotates the map

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Danaru posted:

Uber launched in my area I guess, because google maps now consistently shows "take a bus here and call an uber!" When I calculate a bus route home, and theres no button for "if I wanted an uber I'd use loving uber and not the bus routes apps you worthless fucks"

:capitalism:

Smart cities are going to be a nightmare. "The 12.45 is delayed - may we recommed you get a cab from our partners at uber for 10% off!"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

'Christmas sweaters' that are just sweatshirts with knit patterns printed on are insulting to my intelligence

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
Pickup truck sizes have been a joke for a long time but it seems like in the last 5 years or so they've grown from comically oversized to actual monster truck proportions.

I don't know if it's the influence of the Ford Raptor or what but I see so drat many enormous pickup trucks with tiny little beds and insanely high lift packages driving around. And I live in the suburbs so it's not like these are farm trucks or anything. They are all pristine and probably $60k. Someone said pickup trucks are just the logical evolution of the huge boat luxury sedans from the 70s and that seems pretty true.

On top of that a lot of the newer ones look like they've been vomited on by one of those tactical knife magazines for teenagers. All blacked out windows, angled surfaces, olive/grey drab paint jobs, and punisher stickers. They're like rolling temples to toxic masculinity.

Anyway pickup trucks are my pet peeve and I think they should be banned. Kei trucks and work vans for all.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Pickups are great if you live in an area that gets lots of snow but nothing ever gets plowed so your daily commute involves driving through 18" of snow the whole way. But yeah, even pickups that are notable for not being huge such as the Ford Ranger are loving huge now.

If Chevrolet brought back the S-10 in its original form factor with an electric motor option, they could sell billions of them to rural yokels.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the modern pickup market is mostly not targeted at people like that, it’s targeted at affluent suburbanites who will drop 50-75k on a status symbol.

Really a lot of things we consider “rural” both positive and negative are now not really indicative of rural America but of chuddy white suburbs.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Trucks are great. The people in control of them however......

But perhaps the same could be said of most things

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I know someone who’s leasing a pickup truck which is just baffling. If you do any truck poo poo with it you’ll get cosmetic damage you have to now pay for, so they’re really just overpaying for a big car with less passenger space and super terrible gas mileage.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Made the mistake of answering a question on Reddit. Got auto-deleted despite following all the rules. Way to immediately validate my decision to never post there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I also think how people use trucks has changed. It used to be a truck was a second or third vehicle for a family, so if it was just a two seater, it didn't matter because it was just to haul things from point A to point B. None of this "extend cab" or "four door cab for your WORK CREW!" BS.

I mean, obviously don't rule out the machismo factor of "BIGGER TRUCK MEANS YOU'RE MANLIER", but at least part of it is people and companies only wanting to have one vehicle to transport people, so you get an F-150/250 that is basically the front 2/3 of a giant SUV with a 5 foot bed on the end that can maybe hold the tools and personal equipment of the guys in the cab, cause the construction company gets their materials delivered, or has their own semi trucks or flatbeds for hauling, so it doesn't matter if it's a small bed with a cap on it.

And for the personal market, it means Brad and Karen can take it "camping" with Kayden, Kyle, and Kendra in the back seat, and tow a camper that costs as much as the truck and used 1/10th as often and they all have heated seats, or their own AC, and TV screens on the back of the seats, etc...

And people like us who really want a small truck as a second vehicle to haul trash or building materials for some DIY stuff on weekends get left in the dust because we're a small market, and eventually enough of us say "gently caress it" and sell our sedans/wagons and get a new Tacoma anyway, because even though you don't really want 4 doors or just a 5/6 foot bed, it's still technically the smallest truck available that's not 20+ years old.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Dec 7, 2020

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Brawnfire posted:

Made the mistake of answering a question on Reddit. Got auto-deleted despite following all the rules. Way to immediately validate my decision to never post there.

(User was put on probation for this post.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I won' respect any truck that isn't scratched to all hell, constantly covered in dirt, and sporting at least one (1) pair of gargantuan Truck Nutz dangling from the back bumper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife: Go take a shower!
Also my wife, while I'm showering: Washer go on! Dishwasher go on! Toilet go flush! :buddy:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve 1: under no circumstances is any random stranger obligated to make accommodations for your dog. It is always you who must be accommodating strangers and controlling your pet.

2: Unleashing your dog in areas it isn’t allowed isn’t just enormously discourteous, it’s literally dangerous for your pet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why do some people swerve right before turning left?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The Finnish flick! They imagine they're racecar drivers I guess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ooh, cool! I wonder what they're picturing the frightened bicyclists as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Ooh, cool! I wonder what they're picturing the frightened bicyclists as