Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Cugel the Clever posted:

If you don't already have a few months worth of essentials, you've probably already missed your window to get stuff while the stores aren't crazy.

I popped my head into a NOVA grocery store and things were just fine. I was in Costco the other day and aside for a run on TP and paper towels - things were fine.

Don't panic horde assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
CA went to non essential movement canked and a curfew a week or teo ago and at least where I'm at law enforcement said they won't enforce it. So cool!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

TCD posted:

Don't panic horde assholes

We both know that isn't possible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody is gonna tell me how many assholes I can have or use or resell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are plenty of assholes in my town.

You’re welcome to come and take them.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody is gonna tell me how many assholes I can have or use or resell.

I thought about putting a comma in, but I figured it worked both ways.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Has this been covered in here? https://mobile.twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/1334852773993701378

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Flying_Crab posted:

The consequences of someone running a light as a 200lb bicycle/rider at 12mph vs a 4,000 pound vehicle going 30-50mph are not in any way comparable. Also a lot of lights detect cars in order to change the signal, a bicycle usually will not trip that function and thus the bike is stuck there. If there is basically no traffic I slow at intersections to probably 5mph, if it's clear hell yeah I run the light (this is actually becoming legal in a lot of places, e.g. the "Idaho stop").

Admittedly I do see plenty of dumb cyclists who run lights at full speed without even slowing, which to be quite frank is borderline suicidal behavior. Still almost all of the risk of serious harm is undertaken fully by them, as opposed to cars being a threat to anyone around them, even on the sidewalk (of which there have been several people killed on the sidewalk by cars in the time I've lived here).

No, gently caress you, if you want to use the road you obey the rules of the road. You want to claim the right of way of a car you follow the rules that come with it. I can't count the number of times I've almost dumped my motorcycle trying to avoid pasting some gently caress who decided to run a red light at full speed in Boston because they didn't see me; it's like a weekly event during the summer. "There's no one coming so I went" is just as dumb as an excuse as if a motorist did it. I don't care if it's legal in another state, it's not legal here and the rest of the people on the road are acting and reacting with the expectation other people are going to follow rules. Yeah oh boy that car had to slam on his breaks big deal, but the motorcyclist behind that car doesn't have four wheels and can't slam on their brakes in a corner without highsiding into the concrete. Lane splitting is legal in CA, it doesn't mean I can do it in Boston.

That's not even getting into the assholes who think they have right-of-way when swerving across four lanes of traffic because they think a crosswalk means they can make an unannounced left turn at full speed and suddenly they're a pedestrian as long some of their cornering line brushes the crosswalk.

Don't get me wrong, Motorists are 100x more dangerous and in general complete morons. But that's the rub: generally motorists are morons, and running me over by being oblivious is way more predictable and avoidable, and I generally get embarrassment and apology from drivers who almost hit me (and the occasional dipshit in a BMW who equally thinks the rules don't apply to him can be spotted a mile away and watched/avoided), cyclists just flip you off or yell at you as if they have the right to do whatever the gently caress they want (if they even slow down) and it's a special kind of infuriating.

See also: "the bike lane isn't good enough condition to ride fast so I'll ride on the sidewalk" excuses. I don't ride my motorcycle down the bike lane when the road has pot holes, you don't get to ride on the sidewalk. It's this general culture of "well I can do whatever the gently caress I want if I think I have a good reason, and gently caress you for asking" that makes people lose their mind about cyclists.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I haven't seen it so far, but then again, I also haven't seen Trump's insane 46 minute rambling shitfest from a couple of days ago mentioned. I only heard about it in German media, and the brief description said pretty much everything I needed to know, I think.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

Don't get me wrong, Motorists are 100x more dangerous and in general complete morons.

If you want to be more accurate, motorists are closer to 35,000+ times more deadly than bicyclists general.

They might be more rude? We don’t keep stats on that because it’s not really important and it’s hard to measure.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3950229&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post510461229

Go to this thread please and give me some feedback.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Went to dentist yesterday. He mentioned people are absolutely destroying their teeth grinding at night that’s he’s had to schedule four emergency surgeries for people who previously had no problems. So if you have access to a night guard for your teeth that might be a good idea.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

facialimpediment posted:

I'm not really convinced that the ongoing wingnutathon is going to actually hurt Republicans in the Georgia doublerunoff.

But I could be convinced.

I figure the internet isn't real life and the only way that this will be determinative is if it comes down to a razor margin. I'm not holding my breath - there's a lot of people (including like half my family) who don't pay attention to politics and actively vote for split government because "it slows things down" or "it forces compromise" and I don't think Dems will turn out for the Senate the way they did for the presidential election.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Went to dentist yesterday. He mentioned people are absolutely destroying their teeth grinding at night that’s he’s had to schedule four emergency surgeries for people who previously had no problems. So if you have access to a night guard for your teeth that might be a good idea.

I found myself clenching my teeth last month.

I stopped in a few days, but I’d never done it before.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Awesome idea man. I don’t care if you know my address/real name.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Platystemon posted:

I found myself clenching my teeth last month.

I stopped in a few days, but I’d never done it before.

I found this really helpful as I suffer greatly from night teeth grinding (my husband says it sounds like I am chewing rocks)

https://www.healthline.com/health/tmj-exercises

Edit: Some actual news, imagine listening to a junior intel analyst for anything other than copy/paste HHQ brief

https://twitter.com/iboudreau/status/1334877142694424579?s=20

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 4, 2020

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I cracked a filling I've had for years and I'm pretty sure that's why.

When I went to my cardiologist this year in July (I have a pacemaker) he said he's noticed that 90% of people that come have blood pressure measuring 20 points higher than normal. I wasn't an exception.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nick Soapdish posted:

I found this really helpful as I suffer greatly from night teeth grinding (my husband says it sounds like I am chewing rocks)

https://www.healthline.com/health/tmj-exercises

If it works for your situation I'd 100% recommend getting a night guard. I was grinding my teeth for years and foolishly ignored suggestions to get one until after I had done damage, and after I finally got one immediately saw improvement. I was probably a few years away from needing major surgery without one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

We have a family friend in the UK in his 80s who, to my amusement and relief, has been watching what's going on here with interest, hates the gently caress out of Trump, and keeps emailing us with curiosity as to how this election turned into a dumpster fire. I'm trying to answer his questions as best I can (based off summaries from facialimpediment et al) and he's asked about pardons. As best I can tell, the TL;DR at this point regarding pardons is:

-Trump can pardon himself and his shitspawn offspring but that doesn't remove them from state level scrutiny, of which there's enough to go around (maybe 60 indictments against :smugdon: himself in NY alone) and,
-Unless The Worst Timeline finds a way to continue (:ohdear:), there's a good chance Hair Fuhrer gets jail time and/or loses some or all of his bank-owned property starting 1/20/21 at 12:01pm.

Am I missing anything?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If it works for your situation I'd 100% recommend getting a night guard. I was grinding my teeth for years and foolishly ignored suggestions to get one until after I had done damage, and after I finally got one immediately saw improvement. I was probably a few years away from needing major surgery without one.

can confirm

i put off getting a nightguard for years until my old dentist told me bluntly that i wouldn't have teeth in 10 years if i didn't get one and start using it.
it's been 10 years now and i don't sleep right without one.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

CBJSprague24 posted:

We have a family friend in the UK in his 80s who, to my amusement and relief, has been watching what's going on here with interest, hates the gently caress out of Trump, and keeps emailing us with curiosity as to how this election turned into a dumpster fire. I'm trying to answer his questions as best I can (based off summaries from facialimpediment et al) and he's asked about pardons. As best I can tell, the TL;DR at this point regarding pardons is:

-Trump can pardon himself and his shitspawn offspring but that doesn't remove them from state level scrutiny, of which there's enough to go around (maybe 60 indictments against :smugdon: himself in NY alone) and,
-Unless The Worst Timeline finds a way to continue (:ohdear:), there's a good chance Hair Fuhrer gets jail time and/or loses some or all of his bank-owned property starting 1/20/21 at 12:01pm.

Am I missing anything?

I believe is also under civil suit from a women who alledged that he assaulted her in the 90s. I believe the damages of which she is seeking compensation are for his defamation of her character.

However, when 30% of the country believes you are their divinely appointed savior, you will have an endless supply of marks to grift off. His net worth will likely increase while "running" in 2024.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
https://twitter.com/CassandraRules/status/1334691140034043905?s=20

Broken clock something something.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

It owns that republicans have gotten so warped that telling people to vote for republicans means you’re a dumb lib

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ya'all know they're gonna get state level pardons too to "further the healing of the divide in america" right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sacrist65 posted:

However, when 30% of the country believes you are their divinely appointed savior, you will have an endless supply of marks to grift off. His net worth will likely increase while "running" in 2024.

Unlikely. Right now, NY is waiting him with open arms because of the Real Estate Tax fraud stuff, he has massive debts coming due that he cannot rid himself of in bankruptcy because he PERSONALLY backed them.

Trump is unlikely to be financially or mentally fit for a 2024 run, and any campaigning around such is just to grift people to settle his ongoing re-election debts

CainFortea posted:

Ya'all know they're gonna get state level pardons too to "further the healing of the divide in america" right?

I don't see State pardons as likely, and while Trump himself will never be likely to face jail, Kushner and Trump kids may actually see some repercussions.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I feel like best case scenario is a bitter 2024 primary where a week after accepting the nomination at the RNC Trump dies of a heart attack or other natural, age related causes.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

If you want to be more accurate, motorists are closer to 35,000+ times more deadly than bicyclists general.

They might be more rude? We don’t keep stats on that because it’s not really important and it’s hard to measure.

Let me rephrase that: motorists being a bigger problem doesn't make this sort of behavior not assholish.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

CommieGIR posted:

Unlikely. Right now, NY is waiting him with open arms because of the Real Estate Tax fraud stuff, he has massive debts coming due that he cannot rid himself of in bankruptcy because he PERSONALLY backed them.

Trump is unlikely to be financially or mentally fit for a 2024 run, and any campaigning around such is just to grift people to settle his ongoing re-election debts

Maybe. Also this post could have been written in 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

CBJSprague24 posted:

-Trump can pardon himself

Am I missing anything?

This is actually up for debate.

Afaik no president has done it so it has had no legal scrutiny applied to it. The pardon power is very broad and discretionary, so there's a decent argument that he can, but it would need to be settled by a DOJ challenge being adjudicated by the Supreme Court.

Even with the makeup of the court now I'm not convinced they would rule in Trump's favor if a self pardon was challenged given how strong the language in earlier rulings about indictments were.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sacrist65 posted:

Maybe. Also this post could have been written in 2015

No, because he was in better financial shape in 2015. He has nearly a billion dollars in debt coming due in 2021, and didn't have pending cases waiting for his Org.

Being in public office was the worst thing that could've happened to the Trump Org, because suddenly they came under tighter scrutiny and, surprise surprise, its a fraudulent mess.
All the details necessary to know this were not known in 2015, most of this stuff didn't become public till 2020.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

CommieGIR posted:

No, because he was in better financial shape in 2015. He has nearly a billion dollars in debt coming due in 2021, and didn't have pending cases waiting for his Org.

Being in public office was the worst thing that could've happened to the Trump Org, because suddenly they came under tighter scrutiny and, surprise surprise, its a fraudulent mess.
All the details necessary to know this were not known in 2015, most of this stuff didn't become public till 2020.

Same energy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah this is the common thing when it comes to high-profile people and investigations. At one time, they weren't so high-profile, the state really didn't give a poo poo if he lied on his federal tax returns, and he wasn't in charge of an openly-corrupt government. Just the fact that a new Secretary of Treasury will immediately hand over Donnie's tax returns to NYState and Congress (unless stopped by courts) to prove the poo poo in the NYT series is quite a lot. Probably doesn't lead to an Actual Thing, but it enables the Actual Thing to happen.

Also, if Donnie does somehow manage to either pardon himself (sketchy) or others, my long-term bet is that he uses campaign / leadership PAC money to pay down his personal debts. I'm almost positive that's a severe legal no-no, and pardons can't cover future activity. I doubt he has the self-control to avoid tapping into the "no touchy" pots of money.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
pretty much every real estate mogul is committing some massive form of fraud, tax evasion or money laundering.

almost all of them are not stupid enough to antagonize everyone who has the power to investigate it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sacrist65 posted:

Same energy

K then.

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah this is the common thing when it comes to high-profile people and investigations. At one time, they weren't so high-profile, the state really didn't give a poo poo if he lied on his federal tax returns, and he wasn't in charge of an openly-corrupt government. Just the fact that a new Secretary of Treasury will immediately hand over Donnie's tax returns to NYState and Congress (unless stopped by courts) to prove the poo poo in the NYT series is quite a lot. Probably doesn't lead to an Actual Thing, but it enables the Actual Thing to happen.

Also, if Donnie does somehow manage to either pardon himself (sketchy) or others, my long-term bet is that he uses campaign / leadership PAC money to pay down his personal debts. I'm almost positive that's a severe legal no-no, and pardons can't cover future activity. I doubt he has the self-control to avoid tapping into the "no touchy" pots of money.

Yeah, nobody is pretending he isn't the only one doing it.

One thing Trump did clearly while president was skip out on bills for his rallies. He's not going to be able to do that as easily out of office, not to mention lack of access to, basically, free cross country transport.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Jarmak posted:

No, gently caress you, if you want to use the road you obey the rules of the road. You want to claim the right of way of a car you follow the rules that come with it. I can't count the number of times I've almost dumped my motorcycle trying to avoid pasting some gently caress who decided to run a red light at full speed in Boston because they didn't see me; it's like a weekly event during the summer. "There's no one coming so I went" is just as dumb as an excuse as if a motorist did it. I don't care if it's legal in another state, it's not legal here and the rest of the people on the road are acting and reacting with the expectation other people are going to follow rules. Yeah oh boy that car had to slam on his breaks big deal, but the motorcyclist behind that car doesn't have four wheels and can't slam on their brakes in a corner without highsiding into the concrete. Lane splitting is legal in CA, it doesn't mean I can do it in Boston.

That's not even getting into the assholes who think they have right-of-way when swerving across four lanes of traffic because they think a crosswalk means they can make an unannounced left turn at full speed and suddenly they're a pedestrian as long some of their cornering line brushes the crosswalk.

Don't get me wrong, Motorists are 100x more dangerous and in general complete morons. But that's the rub: generally motorists are morons, and running me over by being oblivious is way more predictable and avoidable, and I generally get embarrassment and apology from drivers who almost hit me (and the occasional dipshit in a BMW who equally thinks the rules don't apply to him can be spotted a mile away and watched/avoided), cyclists just flip you off or yell at you as if they have the right to do whatever the gently caress they want (if they even slow down) and it's a special kind of infuriating.

See also: "the bike lane isn't good enough condition to ride fast so I'll ride on the sidewalk" excuses. I don't ride my motorcycle down the bike lane when the road has pot holes, you don't get to ride on the sidewalk. It's this general culture of "well I can do whatever the gently caress I want if I think I have a good reason, and gently caress you for asking" that makes people lose their mind about cyclists.

there's not a big enough eyeroll emoji for this.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you could try just obeying the rules of the road if you dont want to get squished but whatever

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Technically the rules of the road is bikes have as much right to be in the primary lane of travel as cars in most states.

And let's be honest: most Pedestrian laws favor cars for a reason....because Auto companies lobbies to ensure it favored cars.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CommieGIR posted:

I think it was about 1990, and Trump decided he wanted to open a casino in Sydney. It took the federales about 2 weeks to figure out that all his money was dirty money from all over the world.

30. loving. Years. Ago.

He was considered ridiculous all over the world back then, just some rich idiot who did stupid things with his money. Yet here we are.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

you could try just obeying the rules of the road if you dont want to get squished but whatever

yeah man also only protest where the police tell you too and keep it peaceful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Naramyth posted:

yeah man also only protest where the police tell you too and keep it peaceful

lol