Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't like BotW much and it's known but BotW Zelda is probably my favorite up there with Tetra

It feels weird to have Link just Be There but more it went on the more I was like yeah I'm fine with her taking the lead completely. I'm not sure how they could ever make link anywhere near as interesting moving forward if they refuse to have him talk. More interested in the others (though I still like the gags with him)

I think he just needs to be more emotive. Wind Waker Link definitely has a personality of his own just from how expressive he is about stuff that happens, compared to the other Links who switch between "blank stare" and "dull surprise".

Doomguy from 2016 Doom is another good example. Never says anything and you can't even see his face, but there's real personality in how he reacts to the other characters.

I think we also lost a lot of BoTW Link's personality in translation. Apparently all of the quest log entries in the Japanese version of BoTW are written like diary entries from his point of view, and we didn't get any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If they just actually made him a mute and wrote his inability to speak into the story it would go very far (and be pretty awesome representation for the non-verbal among us)! Imagine a Link who uses HYRULE Sign Language to communicate with his helper fairy, who then has to actually speak and/or negotiate on Link’s behalf.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Make him mute, and make the next Companion Character a dragon.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
No more companion characters, just one grim adventurer alone against the world.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

allegedly AoC outsold every other Warriors game Koei Tecmo's made, so hopefully Nintendo gets the message and makes more games with Zelda in a leading role, if not outright as a playable character.

desperately hoping BotW2 won't have her get damseled or otherwise vanish from the plot for large chunks of the game

It sold more then 3 million copies in 4 days, more then any Dynasty Warriors or Warriors spin off ever has in its lifetime.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

pentyne posted:

It sold more then 3 million copies in 4 days, more then any Dynasty Warriors or Warriors spin off ever has in its lifetime.

People always forget that Musou games are a very niche series, they've been around for a very long time just doing their own thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Judge Tesla posted:

People always forget that Musou games are a very niche series, they've been around for a very long time just doing their own thing.

I remember stealing a PlayStation 2 demo disc out of a sealed issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly at the drugstore when I was 12 and playing through one level of Dynasty Warriors probably 1000 times over the course of that summer

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat centenarians

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't like BotW much and it's known but BotW Zelda is probably my favorite up there with Tetra

It feels weird to have Link just Be There but more it went on the more I was like yeah I'm fine with her taking the lead completely. I'm not sure how they could ever make link anywhere near as interesting moving forward if they refuse to have him talk. More interested in the others (though I still like the gags with him)

Gotta say I agree, BotW Zelda is my favorite Zelda, even if her story arc is just one existential meltdown after another

Her "burgeoning scholar" side is loving adorable and I am here for it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I also found Zelda's english voice to be a lot more tolerable in Age of Calamity. Her delivery is a lot less soft and overly-breathy

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Augus posted:

I also found Zelda's english voice to be a lot more tolerable in Age of Calamity. Her delivery is a lot less soft and overly-breathy

They had to do something to make up for how comically clumsy Impa's voice acting and dialogue turned out :v: (I'm seriously convinced the English localizers just fed her early-game lines through Google Translate)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Augus posted:

I thought the general consensus even in BOTW was that her voice acting was mostly fine in the memories, and she just way overdid the breathy etherealness for when she's talking inside Link's head in the present.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I turned on japanese voice acting and I think it's allowing me to enjoy the cutscenes more because I can't tell how good or bad it is. can't even really tell if the dialog is as clumsy as BotW's since reading clumsy dialog is a lot different from hearing it out loud

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

that would be because aoc clearly has better voice direction than botw

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Amppelix posted:

that would be because aoc clearly has better voice direction than botw

My only problem with aoc's voice acting is the amount of cutscenes that have only noises or grunts.

Egg does something cute: * sigh *, * giggle *, multiples "oh", etc

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

romanowski posted:

I turned on japanese voice acting and I think it's allowing me to enjoy the cutscenes more because I can't tell how good or bad it is. can't even really tell if the dialog is as clumsy as BotW's since reading clumsy dialog is a lot different from hearing it out loud

this is the correct way to play all anime games

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

romanowski posted:

Dynasty warriors 3 was the peak for this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

VaultAggie posted:

Dynasty warriors 3 was the peak for this.

Any excuse to post this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTtNhNyA_o

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Would anyone here be interested in a copy of the hardback strategy guide for Breath of the Wild? It's the original one without the expansion stuff in it, though. I could turn it in for $1's credit at the local game shop, or I could give it to someone who might use and enjoy it.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!
I’ll lay claim to it. Sending a PM now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The trickest trick shot

https://twitter.com/smaho_neko/status/1335204369461960704?s=20

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What in the actual gently caress

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Augus posted:

How is Miphas in AoC? I hated every second of her delivery in BotW...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Screaming “no way! NO WAAAAAY!” at my screen for 30 seconds

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The sickest trick shot, but everytime they manage to one-up it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I had problems with getting the master cycle zero in the BotW DLC. Specifically killing those loving hover guardians (too cheap or lazy to do them proper with shock arrows) and kept gliding off the plateau because they were wrecking me but I'd kill a couple, climb back after the rain stopped and they'd all be back. I get that bomb arrows don't work in the rain (now) but seeing those long distance kill shots is wrecking my self-esteem.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Electric Phantasm posted:

What in the actual gently caress

I wonder how many hours upon hours of reloading the same save, memorizing the perfect placement and practicing the exact movements it took.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj9Urr5Ia2c

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

O man that's great

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Amazing

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I've owned Breath of the Wild for as long as I've had a Switch (~2 years) but last week was the first time I played it for long enough to leave the Great Plateau. I just finished the main quest, so I guess I'm going to start looking up where the shrines/side quests I missed are. Is the DLC expansion pass worth it? I don't really give a poo poo about Master Mode since the only changes seem to be to make combat more tedious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

i vomit kittens posted:

I've owned Breath of the Wild for as long as I've had a Switch (~2 years) but last week was the first time I played it for long enough to leave the Great Plateau. I just finished the main quest, so I guess I'm going to start looking up where the shrines/side quests I missed are. Is the DLC expansion pass worth it? I don't really give a poo poo about Master Mode since the only changes seem to be to make combat more tedious.

The new dungeon and a lot of the quest to get there are good, and the Master Cycle is rad as hell even if it comes along so late in the game that I was close to being done by the time I got it. I thought it was worthwhile overall.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The DLC quest is good but there's so much stuff in the main game it's hardly essential. Pretty sure you can wait till later and make up your mind then on the same save.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the DLC was a little overpriced, but I had a lot of fun with the Champion's Ballad quest. The Hero's Journey tool is really helpful. The horse-warping... thing is useful until you complete the Champion's Ballad and get the motorcycle. All of the added treasure items are not helpful at all, but fun to find. Basically the whole thing adds a few extra layers of reward for exploring beyond shrines and Korok seeds, and that alone I think makes it feel more complete.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i think you don't want to wait and instead get it ASAP if you're going to because the extra scavenger hunts are great fun while you're still exploring the world but very ho-hum if you've already been everywhere

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BqlmEWl.gifv

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Amppelix posted:

yeah i think you don't want to wait and instead get it ASAP if you're going to because the extra scavenger hunts are great fun while you're still exploring the world but very ho-hum if you've already been everywhere

Being able to see where you've been on the map is also useful for finding shrines in areas where you haven't gone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I didn’t start the DLC until after I had all 4 divine beasts down and it really breathed new life into the game world, IMO

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tall Revali kind of bothers me. The guy was barely taller than Link or Zelda. Other than that, I loved this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Amppelix posted:

:same:

The new dress-up sets of armour are actually useful when you're still underpowered, but if you leave them till the end you'll have far better stuff already.

You can't do the Champion's Ballad until you've beaten all the divine beasts, but the Trial of the Sword opens up once you get the Master Sword and again, the reward's much more worth having early on.