Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s bizarre how before a certain year, motorcycles were mechanically nearly unrecognizable compared to modern bikes.

Then after a certain time in the 60’s the modern motorcycle crystalized and literally hasn’t changed since. Yeah, the metallurgy got better, fueling improved, electrics got more reliable and the individual parts were improved over time but a first year CB750 is basically the exact same bike from a purely functional engineering standpoint as a 2021 CB1100

Like you look at a motorcycle from the 30’s or 40’s and it’s nearly unrecognizable from a modern technology standpoint.

The transition of motorcycles in the 60’s is basically like the transition from the strange gas powered horseless carriages we used to have into the model T, which cast the die for all future cars.

I believe this is the fundamental nature of bike design, if you're doing it right it will always be a certain way because that way is the best compromise between engineering integrity and meat interfacing. Even drastically different bikes today aren't really that different because small alterations in the fabulously complex stew of geometry and configuration can have a big effect on the meat interface without having to reinvent the fundamentals.

Prior to the sixties they were stumbling in the dark, then when everyone figured out roughly what an ideal bike should be like and had a target to shoot for the spread became narrower. Then not-poo poo tyres arriving in the 80's made people care about brakes and suspension and the ripples from that only settled around the early 2000's, just in time for the electronic aid revolution + thin wall casting making every bike smaller and lighter.

Every iteration has come closer to the hypothetical ideal even as technology has made it possible to completely divorce function from appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Case in point: old bikes used to use wicks as main jets.

WICKS

LIKE LITERALLY CLOTH JAMMED INTO A HOLE IN THE CARB.

then we invented jets. A piece of metal with a precise hole in it used to correctly meter fuel and we haven’t changed that basic premise. Fuel injectors push fuel through many tiny holes in a piece of metal but the core concept is the same

Really really old engines didn’t recycle their oil. They just pumped it from a tank, through the motor and onto the ground.

It’s mind blowing how different things used to be

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Case in point: old bikes used to use wicks as main jets.

[...]

Really really old engines didn’t recycle their oil. They just pumped it from a tank, through the motor and onto the ground.

Ok, now I really really need someone to recommend a big old illustrated book about the history of ICE generally and/or motorcycles specifically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I also want that. Bezos save us!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, now I really really need someone to recommend a big old illustrated book about the history of ICE generally and/or motorcycles specifically.

You could start with this wikipedia page, and the one about its engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Reitwagen

You think metering fuel with a wick instead of a carb jet is wacky? This thing used "hot-tube" ignition, which means there was a six-inch sealed metal tube sticking off the top of the cylinder head, with a blowtorch pointed at it and heating a spot on the wall of the tube red-hot. During the compression stroke the intake charge would get pushed up into the tube and the hot wall would light it off. You adjusted the ignition timing by moving the blowtorch up and down so the hot spot would be in a different place and set off the charge a bit earlier or later.

:jeb:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Kevin Cameron's 'classic motorcycle racing engines' is a good primer if you want to understand bike ICE's + read a bunch of incredible anecdotes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm not an expert but it seems like that would be a bad idea when you're on a machine with two wheels and no traction control

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm not an expert but it seems like that would be a bad idea when you're on a machine with two wheels and no traction control

Old harleys did it and dropped the outgoing oil onto the chain. I guess it also helps that every bike with total loss oiling was probably slow as hell too

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Dealing with the traction loss from the oil mist landing on the back wheel was part of the racing strategy in board track competition.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Dealing with the traction loss from the oil mist landing on the back wheel was part of the racing strategy in board track competition.

I can't tell if you're serious because this sounds ridiculous but is simultaneously exactly the kind of stupid bullshit I would expect from racing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deadly serious, they usually had white tyres and just about every period photo of one moving/just been ridden you can see the rear tire is considerably grubbier than the front.

There are loads out there but I like this one
because nobody has bothered to clean up the engine, it's like he's literally just finished the race.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Kevin Cameron's 'classic motorcycle racing engines' is a good primer if you want to understand bike ICE's + read a bunch of incredible anecdotes.
Seconding this, I think it's my most favorite book that I own. Highly recommend getting a copy if you can afford it, last I checked they were going for $300+ in good condition

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A brisk 15° morning greeted me at the conclusion of my second 16 hour workday in a row.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I can't tell if you're serious because this sounds ridiculous but is simultaneously exactly the kind of stupid bullshit I would expect from racing

Up until the 20s most bikes had a manual oil pump that you had to remember to pump every once in a while, and up until the late 50s racers at tracks with straights long enough to get away with it would remove the mechanical oil pump and return to the hand pump to save weight and parasitic losses.

Total-loss oiling was also common for packaging and weight reasons in aero engines right up until the 60s - until WW2 and closed cockpits, the pilots would get the exhausted oil right in the face which was unpleasant to start with, but the most common high-performance oil at the time was castor oil (it's where Castrol gets its name), meaning WW1 pilots had the shits pretty much constantly. That's something they don't mention in the Biggles books.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Seconding this, I think it's my most favorite book that I own. Highly recommend getting a copy if you can afford it, last I checked they were going for $300+ in good condition

:wow: I got mine for free holy crap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the most common high-performance oil at the time was castor oil (it's where Castrol gets its name), meaning WW1 pilots had the shits pretty much constantly.

Now you know why they wore those pretty white silk scarves

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure they had toilet paper even then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Do I wanna know what misguided half understood argument led to that av?

My son's first bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I pissed off someone in AI by saying that it's sexist to use "oval office hairs" as a measuring unit, so they decided to blow the lid off my own hypocrisy when I called Subarus princesses that break down when you look at them wrong.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I pissed off someone in AI by saying that it's sexist to use "oval office hairs" as a measuring unit, so they decided to blow the lid off my own hypocrisy when I called Subarus princesses that break down when you look at them wrong.

:catstare:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I knew Sagebrush needed to be cancelled when he painted those CB350 wheels white

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
That's a pretty pathetic attempt at a title, they didn't even use red text.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Oh ffs are those crybabies still at it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

I hate when people call my bike “she” but at the same time I love my forester how dare you.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I hate when people call my bike “she” but at the same time I love my forester how dare you.

Idk man, early gen Foresters in various states of disrepair are all over Facebook for under a grand and while I theoretically like them, that’s... gotta say something.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Revvik posted:

Idk man, early gen Foresters in various states of disrepair are all over Facebook for under a grand and while I theoretically like them, that’s... gotta say something.

Subarus with the EJ25 SOHC motor WILL blow their head gaskets. 96-04 naturally aspirated Foresters have that motor.

I disagree w/ Sagebrush's statement, but I've never owned any car that broke down when I looked at it, my two Subarus included. I'm pressing my luck now though, since I own a Jeep w/ the 2.0L turbo motor. </derail>

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I can change your title but it’ll be to this, real monkeys paw situation here.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lol

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A+. Love it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do it anyway.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm jealous

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Subarus with the EJ25 SOHC motor WILL blow their head gaskets. 96-04 naturally aspirated Foresters have that motor.

I disagree w/ Sagebrush's statement, but I've never owned any car that broke down when I looked at it, my two Subarus included. I'm pressing my luck now though, since I own a Jeep w/ the 2.0L turbo motor. </derail>

Subarus are more common here than anywhere else in the world (besides glorious nippon) and I can confirm they have a general reputation as unreliable, finicky pieces of poo poo and are easily the worst Japanese brand. They are also always extremely well represented at the DIY wreckers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I refuse to believe that any place has more subarus than Denver.

I swear it was 70% subarus last time I was there. They have dedicated Subaru garages that have foresters they’ve turned Into tow trucks by cutting the back off them.

It’s nuts

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I refuse to believe that any place has more subarus than Denver.

I swear it was 70% subarus last time I was there. They have dedicated Subaru garages that have foresters they’ve turned Into tow trucks by cutting the back off them.

It’s nuts

This is the entire front range, not just Denver. I didn't know about the forester tows though, that's just silly. What a lucrative business.

My favorite Subaru reaction is from James May on Top Gear a few years ago: "They're not making a new Impreza this year? What will the yobbos drive??"

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol nissan is the shittiest japanese brand by far. you're deluded if you think it is anything else

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

lol nissan is the shittiest japanese brand by far. you're deluded if you think it is anything else

Someone forgot that Mitsubishi exists

To be fair, everyone forgets that Mitsubishi exists

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

Nope, I was a car mechanic for years before I turned to bikes and subarus are so far and away the worst Japanese car it isn't even close. Terrible to work on and often break down in ways atypical to Japanese cars.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please do. You can put the quote in the text if you want too

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone forgot that Mitsubishi exists

To be fair, everyone forgets that Mitsubishi exists

lol I honestly thought they they stopped selling in the USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Subarus are more common here than anywhere else in the world (besides glorious nippon) and I can confirm they have a general reputation as unreliable, finicky pieces of poo poo and are easily the worst Japanese brand. They are also always extremely well represented at the DIY wreckers.

I only see two kinds of Subaru in the UK: rally replicas in blue and yellow, and kei trucks. And not many of either.