Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've been toying around with a nothing-special Sabatier cleaver to try and make clearer to myself whether I'm going to get a CCK.

I really want one, but I don't know if I'd actually use it.

If you're on the fence get the $10 one from the wok shop and see how you like it.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/vegetable-cleaver/

I liked it enough that I stopped there. It's the best knife you'll ever get for :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I ordered the S210 (carbon steel one) and it arrived to me in Canada in under 2 weeks. It's like twice the size of my nakiri. The edge was dull but the weight is really good for chopping onions which is all I've tried so far, lol. Any questions?

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 4, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

poverty goat posted:

If you're on the fence get the $10 one from the wok shop and see how you like it.

I liked it enough that I stopped there. It's the best knife you'll ever get for :10bux:

ah, thank you. :tipshat:

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
I’ve been choosing my CCK cleaver lately over my Konosuke HD laser, Tojiro DP, Wusthof classic, and Shun premier. Tojiro probably gets the most use since I can leave it out all night and not worry about it rusting, but there’s a unusually high level of satisfaction when using the CCK. Highly recommend it for anyone on the fence, but personally don’t have any experience with other cleavers.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My wife does everything with paring knives if at all possible, and also prefers to use cheap knives she doesn't have to care about. We got a bunch of the $6 Victorinoxes and it's fine, but she likes to put them in the dishwasher. No sooner do I sharpen them than they're dull again, and half the time they're used and in the dishwasher again before I can even get a chance to sharpen them.

All this to say I am going to buy myself my own paring knife that I can keep sharp and hand wash. Back in the day I know people in these threads recommended a Dojo that CKTG used to carry, but they don't seem to carry it anymore and I don't even know if the company still exists. Anybody got a paring knife they absolutely love and want to recommend? I'm happy to drop a bit of cash but it is, you know, a paring knife. The Mac Pro is $60, which seems a little steep, but the Tojiro DP is $52 and if it winds up between the two, for $8 I'll stick with the Mac. Other brands are of course welcome, I would prefer that they be available on CKTG or Amazon if possible since I'm used to doing business with those sites and trust them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also note the tojiro paring knife is 3.5in and I believe the Mac pro is 3.25

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

guppy posted:

My wife does everything with paring knives if at all possible, and also prefers to use cheap knives she doesn't have to care about. We got a bunch of the $6 Victorinoxes and it's fine, but she likes to put them in the dishwasher. No sooner do I sharpen them than they're dull again, and half the time they're used and in the dishwasher again before I can even get a chance to sharpen them.

All this to say I am going to buy myself my own paring knife that I can keep sharp and hand wash. Back in the day I know people in these threads recommended a Dojo that CKTG used to carry, but they don't seem to carry it anymore and I don't even know if the company still exists. Anybody got a paring knife they absolutely love and want to recommend? I'm happy to drop a bit of cash but it is, you know, a paring knife. The Mac Pro is $60, which seems a little steep, but the Tojiro DP is $52 and if it winds up between the two, for $8 I'll stick with the Mac. Other brands are of course welcome, I would prefer that they be available on CKTG or Amazon if possible since I'm used to doing business with those sites and trust them.

Have you thought about putting some colored tape on one of the paring knives you already have and asking your wife to leave that one out of the dishwasher? Maybe there’s something about married life i’m not understanding

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

hypnophant posted:

Maybe there’s something about married life i’m not understanding

Rule 1 of marriage: If a situation could be resolved with a conversation, but skipping the conversation gives you an excuse to buy a toy you want, then don't have the conversation.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Times being what they may, it'd be very hard but this definitely seems like you'd be best to just handle the knives in person. Same weight, tojiro seems overall slimmer at its base and little longer, the mac shorter and a tidge (by MM's!) wider. It seems largely academic. They both use western handles and have more or less the same shape. The metal in the tojiro is probably the only functional difference, as they outright state they use VG10 which is seemingly as hard or harder (60-62HRC) than Mac's nebulous 57-61 proprietary formulation. Both stainless.

Really if you are OK with the knives you already have when they're sharp I don't think you could do wrong with either. Keep it sharp and that's most of having a functional and enjoyable knife.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

hypnophant posted:

Have you thought about putting some colored tape on one of the paring knives you already have and asking your wife to leave that one out of the dishwasher? Maybe there’s something about married life i’m not understanding

Yeah, this makes a lot more sense.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

poverty goat posted:

Keep in mind that this thing is tiny. Like all the sangdao I use are #1s, which tend to be around 24 cm, the CCK everyone gets from ck2g is a #3 (specifically the CCK KF1303) which is around 20 cm, and the noname wokshop one is like 15 cm.

It's also got a lot rougher fit and finish compared to the CCK or the SBZ cleavers I've been recommending as a cheaper alternative. I mean yeah it's only :10bux: but for ~US$20 (and rolling the dice on a random seller on aliexpress) you can get a bigger and better made SBZ S210 or something like that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

hypnophant posted:

Or maybe just "don't put knives in the dishwasher"

because holy poo poo people

don't put your knives in the dishwasher

Washing a knife is so fast and easy, there is no excuse to be tossing them in the dishwasher.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Recommend me a new chefs knife.

I started getting into cooking maybe 15 years ago and bought a forschner to start off with, but the plastic handle was too bulky for my liking and I wanted something better, so I got a global chefs knife. That met all of my needs but the thing is too loving slippery since the handle is all metal. The dimples help a bit but not as much as a normal handle would.

Then I bought the misen when it was announced because I believed everything Kenji said at the time. It’s ok, and I still use it for breaking down a chicken or cutting a butternut squash....things where I don’t care if something happens to the knife. It’s held up pretty well, so I don’t think it will be breaking in half like some of their knives that I’ve seen.

Here’s what I want in a knife:

Easy to sharpen. Like I can take a ceramic rod to it and that will get it nice and sharp. I have stones, but rarely have the time to go sharpen all my knives.

Onions/potatoes don’t stick to the side easily. I don’t even know if this is possible, but it’d be great if it existed.

So far I’ve tried the following:

Shun premier 8”: razor sharp/felt great. But I felt like I was going to break the tip just by looking at it. Not durable enough.

Mac mth-80: same as the shun, but maybe a little more durable. I liked everything else about it though.

Zwilling diplomme 8”: not sharp, didn’t like the way it felt in my hand.

Wusthof classic 6” santuko: I like this for onions and carrots, but it doesn’t go well with my cutting style for everything else. It has the scallops on the side but I can’t tell that they make a difference because things still stick to the knifeS

Here’s what I know about myself: I use a blade grip, I’m lazy when it comes to sharpening knives, and I want to be able to put a knife through the paces without worrying that I’m going to break the thing. For cutting, I usually chop onions/carrots, but everything else I tend to belly slice I think? The front of the knife usually stays on the board and I move the knife back and forth in a kind of sawing motion as I bring the back of the blade down and forward to cut...if that makes any sense.

Any recommendations for $150 or under?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's no knife that's going to stay perfectly sharp with just a ceramic rod. It'd be nice, we'd have all bought them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chemmy posted:

There's no knife that's going to stay perfectly sharp with just a ceramic rod. It'd be nice, we'd have all bought them.

drat. I thought AEB-L steel was supposed to be like that. Well in any case, something that’s easy to sharpen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
"Easy to sharpen" and "holds an edge a long time" are opposite ends of the same spectrum. You can have a hard steel knife like that Mac that will hold an edge well, but will be harder to sharpen, or you can have something like that softer steel Wusthof that's easier to sharpen but you have to do it more often. Unfortunately you're going to have to decide which one you prefer.

Are you cooking professionally, or just at home?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

guppy posted:

"Easy to sharpen" and "holds an edge a long time" are opposite ends of the same spectrum. You can have a hard steel knife like that Mac that will hold an edge well, but will be harder to sharpen, or you can have something like that softer steel Wusthof that's easier to sharpen but you have to do it more often. Unfortunately you're going to have to decide which one you prefer.

Are you cooking professionally, or just at home?

Just at home.

What’s harder to sharpen really mean in that context? Like I’ll have to spend twice as long sharpening it compared to the wusthof?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

nwin posted:

Just at home.

What’s harder to sharpen really mean in that context? Like I’ll have to spend twice as long sharpening it compared to the wusthof?
A more wear-resistant steel will resist the efforts to sharpen it, but because it is more wear-resistant, the edge you put it it will hold longer. However, because of the microstructure of the steel, there are compromises between wear-resistance and the practical maximum sharpness you can get the edge to.

Much of this has to do with the heat treat process, as well as the specific steel.

AEB-L is a nice stainless steel with moderate stainless/corrosion resistance properties that can be very nice and hard and hold a good edge when heat treated properly. I have a nice 7.5" chef knife in AEB-L and have found that it has a fantastic edge if I just take it barely to 3000 grit on the water stones (i.e. get it good and sharp at 1000 and then just do one or two light passes at 3000), while the carbon-steel knives I have that are harder I take up to 5000 or even 8000 grit (as they will hold those edges wonderfully, but must be sharpened a lot more often to hold such a razor sharp edge)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

nwin posted:

Just at home.

Yes, pretty much this. Exactly how much longer it'll take to sharpen will vary but harder steels will require more time. Here's the thing, though, you don't really need to sharpen your knives very often if you're a home cook. Once or twice a year is fine. The rest of the time you can just use a honing rod real quick before each use.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

guppy posted:

Yes, pretty much this. Exactly how much longer it'll take to sharpen will vary but harder steels will require more time. Here's the thing, though, you don't really need to sharpen your knives very often if you're a home cook. Once or twice a year is fine. The rest of the time you can just use a honing rod real quick before each use.

Ok so what would you recommend for either case? An easy to sharpen knife under $150 and one that’s not as easy to sharpen?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

nwin posted:

Ok so what would you recommend for either case? An easy to sharpen knife under $150 and one that’s not as easy to sharpen?

We talked about essentially this exact thing recently, actually. For a harder knife I like Macs and would probably go with the MTH-80 you already have, which has the added benefit of not costing you any more money. My default for a softer, Western-style knife would be a Wusthof Classic, but I don't actually own one so that's a blind guess. You can see us talking a bit about it starting here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post510363590

Since you like your Wusthof Classic Santoku, maybe grab their 8" chef's knife from the same line. The shape is a more traditional Western chef's knife with a significant belly, so if you like to rock chop it will probably be up your alley. The only thing that people don't like about it that I know of is that the bolster goes all the way down to the heel, which can be annoying when sharpening and will eventually protrude well past the edge if you keep sharpening it. That should take a long time under normal home use though and at that point maybe you just buy another one.

EDIT: I have never really noticed significant benefit from the scallops on the flat of the blade, on any knife, and I am not sure that it's anything more than marketing.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

guppy posted:

I like to sharpen my knives monthly, which seems to be about the mark where the cutting power depreciates appreciably. I have never seen a knife that will hold up for half a year if you're using it with any regularity. If I get any slippage/resistance on dicing an onion, it's too dull (I often hit this mark before a month, fwiw, I just get lazy with it). The upside is regular maintenance makes it quicker to sharpen because you're not correcting as much damage.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
both of my Misens cracked (a shame, since I really like how they feel). I second the 8" Wusthof, partly bc I want one really badly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wish I knew about the Tojiro Big Almighty Knife when it sold for under twenty dollars.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I wish I knew about the Tojiro Big Almighty Knife when it sold for under twenty dollars.

https://www.globalkitchenjapan.com/products/tojiro-general-purpose-large-knife-345mm-fg-3000?_pos=41&_sid=7483a3f8e&_ss=r

Bit more than $20 but still cheap.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kalsco posted:

I like to sharpen my knives monthly, which seems to be about the mark where the cutting power depreciates appreciably. I have never seen a knife that will hold up for half a year if you're using it with any regularity. If I get any slippage/resistance on dicing an onion, it's too dull (I often hit this mark before a month, fwiw, I just get lazy with it). The upside is regular maintenance makes it quicker to sharpen because you're not correcting as much damage.

The honing plays a big roll here. With my cheaper knives ill just use a ceramic for 10 swipes instead of remaking the edge with my stones. More to take off when I eventually sharpen but whatever.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Shine posted:

I've been using a Spyderco sharpener kit for years, but I decided to finally give whetstone stuff a try. I watched the Carter Cutlery and weirdo French guy videos and ordered some stuff. Here's hoping I'll soon join the "whoops, cut through my fingernail" club of idiots.

My stones arrived the other day. We got a 1000/6000 combo, and a 180/240 combo. My knife is the 10" version of the Victorinox in the OP. I started working on it, but it'll need another session; my spouse's knife was nicked to hell, so we worked on it first. Lots of newbie flailing, but we eventually got their chef knife (a Ginsu Chikara, which is the whitest trying-not-to-sound-white name I've ever heard) cutting better than ever, with almost all of the nicks ground out. Made for easy cucumber slicing.

I have a friend who doesn't know how to cook, but is going to take some video lessons. I told him that lesson 1 would be knife handling and that they'd insist he get some sharp knives. He said he has a Chicago Cutlery set his parents bought in the 80s that he's never sharpened or ever saw his parents sharpen, so he volunteered them for me to practice, with the understanding that I am a novice and I would probably make them look stupid in the process of making them functional. The paring knife (the only one he used regularly) needed the most work, as it required bunch of force to slice into a cucumber.

I did the paring and chef knives, and I'm happy (as is he) with how it went; both now have a primary edge sharp enough to cut hair. I don't know how long the edges will last, but at least now he'll have serviceable knives when he takes his cooking classes and does the initial slicing practice.

This is very relaxing stuff.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone with a nakiri have one that has the hammer dimples on it? Do they really work? I have a santoku with grantons on it that don't seem to help and I'm wondering if the :10bux: is worth it for the hammering.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

Rule 1 of marriage: If a situation could be resolved with a conversation, but skipping the conversation gives you an excuse to buy a toy you want, then don't have the conversation.

This is why/how I bought half my kitchen gadgets.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone with a nakiri have one that has the hammer dimples on it? Do they really work? I have a santoku with grantons on it that don't seem to help and I'm wondering if the :10bux: is worth it for the hammering.

The dimples never seem to work. I have a few knives with them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah dimples are a gimmick. The only grind that will actually make a difference is an S-grind, which I don't even know if you can find on production knives at all.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I came to this thread a couple weeks ago to look into whether or not my ancient lovely knives were worth trying to sharpen...

Now all my ancient lovely knives are at Value Village and this just appeared in my mailbox, I blame this thread.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I came to this thread a couple weeks ago to look into whether or not my ancient lovely knives were worth trying to sharpen...

Now all my ancient lovely knives are at Value Village and this just appeared in my mailbox, I blame this thread.

I’m guessing your knives were as old as your keyboard, good call on the upgrade

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

mls posted:

I’m guessing your knives were as old as your keyboard, good call on the upgrade

Not quite, but pretty hammered by a lot of neglect and I want to start over with knives I didn't inherit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Wanna type CD SIERRA on that keyboard.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Welp, finally pulled the trigger on some new steel. Have been using the same Henckels/Wustoff set I received as a wedding gift over two decades ago. Have been keeping them going with a sharpmaker. They aren't awesome.

Mrs Mango has been complaining a bit about the paring knives she likes to use (a ceramic and a 5 year old shun). So that opened the door to 'what about knives for christmas?' (I'm a hopeless romantic, I know).

So now on order are a Masakage Shimo Petty 150mm, Kurosaki R2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm, Tsunehisa G3 Migaki Nakiri 165mm, Sayas for all of them, and a Cerax Combo 1K/3K stone and 140 Grit Diamond Flattening Plate to keep them sharp. If she knows how much they really were, she'd kill me with one or all of them.

Any recommendation for a magnetic block? I don't really have a way to wall mount a piece of wood with magnets, need something to replace the old knife block thing.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
They have magnetic knife holder thingies you can attach to your fridge

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Shun is having an online warehouse sale tomorrow and the day after. Apparently it's all stuff with cosmetic defects. Not to sure if this sale is any good, but might be worth checking out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Welp, finally pulled the trigger on some new steel. Have been using the same Henckels/Wustoff set I received as a wedding gift over two decades ago. Have been keeping them going with a sharpmaker. They aren't awesome.

Mrs Mango has been complaining a bit about the paring knives she likes to use (a ceramic and a 5 year old shun). So that opened the door to 'what about knives for christmas?' (I'm a hopeless romantic, I know).

So now on order are a Masakage Shimo Petty 150mm, Kurosaki R2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm, Tsunehisa G3 Migaki Nakiri 165mm, Sayas for all of them, and a Cerax Combo 1K/3K stone and 140 Grit Diamond Flattening Plate to keep them sharp. If she knows how much they really were, she'd kill me with one or all of them.

Any recommendation for a magnetic block? I don't really have a way to wall mount a piece of wood with magnets, need something to replace the old knife block thing.

Just use the sayas? You probably won't get any magnetization through them.

Otherwise the ones I've bought have probably gone poo poo in quality on amazon, but look for negative reviews where people can't get the knives off. You don't want anything falling. The wood based ones to wall mount are less quality then the steel in my experience but I could have just picked poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

poverty goat posted:

I got it! $20 with shipping and they sent a free bamboo spoon.

blade is 7 5/8", 19.5ish cm, and the whole thing weighs roughly 250g, about 8 1/2 oz.

full tang, though said tang goes down to a little rattail that's hammered into the butt of the handle.

sufficiently sharp out of the box for me, but people who are more diligent would want to touch it up.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 12, 2020