Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FNJnnVQN8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The mastery emote at the end of the Udyr animation is :discourse:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wait, Riot is actually putting out videos like this one these days :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1RjqonnU7M

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah. They are really pushing KDA. Seraphine was just the beginning.

I'm just going to focus on Rell. She probably cannot become a pop star.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Smol posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

As much as I love the KDA songs, these videos they're pushing are crazy

Really don't see why they couldn't just leave it a fun musical thing they do every few years

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hint: Makes them lots of money.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Elvis_Maximus posted:

As much as I love the KDA songs, these videos they're pushing are crazy

Really don't see why they couldn't just leave it a fun musical thing they do every few years

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Smol posted:

Yeah I saw one that was like an interview with a real person and it was... slightly unnerving? The characters definitely look animated but also like kind of close enough to trying to be people that it comes off as super weird. Not uncanny valley weird but some different sort of weird.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
It's definitely uncanny valley territory, all of that poo poo is just so profoundly weird

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Smol posted:

Oh gently caress off

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Well now you've done it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She turn into a kickin rad neon motorcycle instead of a horse. Boom KDA Rell.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Well now you've done it.

Invalid Validation posted:

This was my plan all along.

It's either that or a unicorn neon arcade skin or a flashy unicorn princess star guardian skin.

The point I'm getting at is that I am excited for future Rell skins.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Invalid Validation posted:

That sounds great though.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
the ferocity with which i will purchase KDA Rell has not been witnessed on this earth in eons

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hellioning posted:

Yeah. They are really pushing KDA. Seraphine was just the beginning.

If she looked like mordekaiser maybe she couldn't, but....
Despite being an 'ultra-heavy lance knight' she's a 16 year old schoolgirl who doesn't wear armor over her face or arms so she can show off her outfit underneath. She's designed first and foremost to be able to use skins.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

the insidious oriental

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the weebs are coming from inside the asia

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

yeah for real saying "the kda aesthetic is what appeals to the widest chunk of the playerbase" is one thing but that people keep posting that specific image ad nauseum is a wee bit uncomfortable

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I get that it makes them a lot of money, and hell I own most of the KDA skins so I'm deffo part of the problem.

But like.. why interviews and stuff? Are they getting money for licensing out the characters or something? Do they have marketing statistics that they're converting people into playing the game or something?

Idk, it's just weird because it doesn't really seem to actually contribute to them making money in any specific, tangible way compared to the music videos.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Who knows? Riots marketing is weird and it’s about the only lore thing they’ve been able to leverage after a decade.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Monicro posted:

yeah for real saying "the kda aesthetic is what appeals to the widest chunk of the playerbase" is one thing but that people keep posting that specific image ad nauseum is a wee bit uncomfortable

oh I didn't mean that in particular, sorry if I caused any offense. it's pretty much just "the country where this is super popular is orders of magnitude larger than basically every other region combined"

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

oh I didn't mean that in particular, sorry if I caused any offense. it's pretty much just "the country where this is super popular is orders of magnitude larger than basically every other region combined"

Frankly, the fact that China thinks lady champs are hot doesn't mean they also disproportionately like these weird parasocial fake interviews poo poo - though they might. This could be the product of internal market research or it could be some dude at riot thought it was a bright idea. The only thing we know for sure is that KDA skins print money - everything else is just an extension of them trying squeeze the cow a bit more.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i only play champions who were designed to LOSE money, the champs riot design to make people quit the game

Sarrisan posted:

Frankly, the fact that China thinks lady champs are hot doesn't mean they also disproportionately like these weird parasocial fake interviews poo poo - though they might. This could be the product of internal market research or it could be some dude at riot thought it was a bright idea. The only thing we know for sure is that KDA skins print money - everything else is just an extension of them trying squeeze the cow a bit more.

it sucks that china is ruining the game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I get that it makes them a lot of money, and hell I own most of the KDA skins so I'm deffo part of the problem.

But like.. why interviews and stuff? Are they getting money for licensing out the characters or something? Do they have marketing statistics that they're converting people into playing the game or something?

Idk, it's just weird because it doesn't really seem to actually contribute to them making money in any specific, tangible way compared to the music videos.

They’re running the virtual band playbook that Gorillaz created basically, though I’ve enjoyed some Gorillaz fans twisting into knots to justify how Gorillaz are totally different and not corporate maaan (while they do a live show to promote charging cables). Even if KDA fans never play the game and buy a skin, they’ll stream the music on Spotify (a Worlds sponsor) or buy a t-shirt or hoodie (that KDA hat sold real well).

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

yeah i was sure thats all you meant but the western league community (and the US in general obviously) is like crazy racist against china so that image in that context comes off a lil skeevy imo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I just noticed that Verdant Barrier goes on cooldown as soon as I buy it. Is that intended?

e: nm :downs:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 5, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes. Otherwise you'd get the first MR proc immediately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Redemption does the same thing, there’s a few items that start on cool down so they can’t be bought, used immediately and sold.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

I went over the list of champs and if I were to list my 16 most visually appealing champs it's 14 attractive female champs plus Blitz & Velkoz.

On the other hand, there's only a single champ in those 16 that is among my top10 most played.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The fact that anyone considers Miss Fortune's default appearance visually appealing is appalling. Her skins are real good though.

Speaking of MF, she is utterly filthy with Duskblade. The amount of frontloaded burst is hilarious.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

The fact that anyone considers Miss Fortune's default appearance visually appealing is appalling. Her skins are real good though.

Speaking of MF, she is utterly filthy with Duskblade. The amount of frontloaded burst is hilarious.

I think they might be going by MFs current splash which is actually pretty good. I imagine riot will redesign her ingame to match at some point. Or at least I hope so.

Also what the hell, Kindred? She? doesn't even have a face.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Kindred is not a top 16 champion visually. they are obviously top 3 at the least

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

SirSamVimes posted:

Would Eclipse not just do more frontloaded damage? But yeah, I'm pumped for MF to be in a good place again, she's my favourite ADC to play. Nothing like shooting a double up for 3/4ths of the support's health in lane.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Eclipse is also very good but Duskblade comes with a slow and invisibility. It's a personal preference thing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The filthiest thing about MF is when you complete collector and have dark harvest as well

Your ult gets to the point where it can sweep teams since any damage you do that would put someone below 5% instantly kills them, including dark harvest I believe. She feels ridiculously powerful as a result.

Unfortunately they're removing the funniest part of the collector next week, specifically that it affects minions as well so completing it means it becomes effectively impossible to miss a cs regardless of what you do. It makes jhin and mf into insane power farmers

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"this champion's visuals are appealing to me" is really vague and can be interpreted too many ways to be a useful heuristic. are their particles cool? do they move around in a satisfying way? do they have massive polygonal tits? people might even factor in audio without realizing.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeh jhin feels busted af right now. I had a game today with like 25 stacks of DH, 4th shot just deleted anyone. I had an ashe supporting me which worked really well, both our Ws and both our ults really synergized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Quickblade is so fun on so many adc's. Xayah and lucian especially.