Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ok I DEEPLY need stackable conveyor poles to snap to non-stackables, and also to snap to the top (poo poo maybe also the bottom) of conveyor lifts

gently caress it, also to the top of machines in order to make running conveyor stacks over production areas take that many fewer steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
One easy way to run a conveyor line over an already built-up area is to terminate the conveyor belt in a truck loading station, load the goods onto a factory cart, and catapult the cart over the buildings using a jump pad.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Phssthpok posted:

One easy way to run a conveyor line over an already built-up area is to terminate the conveyor belt in a truck loading station, load the goods onto a factory cart, and catapult the cart over the buildings using a jump pad.

Meanwhile, in Factorio...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-R_lAUp0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHCDSJsDH74

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this is hilarious

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Factorio: let's mod in some silly nonsense

Satisfactory: here's a mod for straighter and more organized conveyors

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

That train video, tho.

In Ficsmas news, you can't overclock present trees.

drat.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Mile'ionaha posted:

In Ficsmas news, you can't overclock present trees.

drat.

Up to 20 present trees and I still can't reliably make 1 star per minute and I need 400 of them.

The Xmas items really don't play nice with a manifold factory layout, their massive stack size really breaks it. If anyone is just starting their xmas factory, def look more at balanced setups and don't do long manifolds.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What do they stack to? 500 per?

I might log on to check and gently caress around with it for a few hours.

Trees output 15 presents a minute, so you would prob want to design a small tree farm to make belt capacity sooo a small number of 52 trees. If production is using almost everything from the conveyers, then manifold can work but you need to add in some injections to bring the belt back to capacity.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 4, 2020

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I started a base in the new desert location to go FICSMAS from the ground up with a friend. The holiday cart is hilarious.

Does it have super-sloppy handling everywhere, or is it just in the sand that it can't even go in a straight line without spinning out?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Foresty enough for me. I havent unlocked the multi-ornament yet, that happens tomorrow? or the 11th?

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Up to 20 present trees and I still can't reliably make 1 star per minute and I need 400 of them.

The Xmas items really don't play nice with a manifold factory layout, their massive stack size really breaks it. If anyone is just starting their xmas factory, def look more at balanced setups and don't do long manifolds.

Or do a setup where your long manifolds can insert into each other at multiple points.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Cobbsprite posted:

I started a base in the new desert location to go FICSMAS from the ground up with a friend. The holiday cart is hilarious.

Does it have super-sloppy handling everywhere, or is it just in the sand that it can't even go in a straight line without spinning out?

Even if you're driving in a straight line on foundations you're probably going to end up spinning out and tipping over. It doesn't use any fuel though and has a single inventory space, so you can use them to set up an automated delivery route of low-yield items like turbo motors or whatever. Way better than just using a belt.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Tenzarin posted:

What do they stack to? 500 per?

I might log on to check and gently caress around with it for a few hours.

Trees output 15 presents a minute, so you would prob want to design a small tree farm to make belt capacity sooo a small number of 52 trees. If production is using almost everything from the conveyers, then manifold can work but you need to add in some injections to bring the belt back to capacity.

Yea most stack to 500, I think the ornaments and their clusters just stack to 100. So it's not just the presents that are problematic, everything in the production chain has largish stacks.
You definitely can do manifold (I still am) but just know it's going to need some hacks or a lot of patience and trees to wait for it all to balance out. Ultimately it can just be a matter of growing your forest, but that's more labor and resource intensive than just slapping down a OC'ed MK3 miner since your trees are also competing for the resources your finished products need.

Even at 50 trees, you'll still be looking at running the game for hours to build 400 stars. 100+ tree farms now seem entirely reasonable to me.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 4, 2020

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Going to get a 200 tree farm going. Unless there is a way to overclock them later.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
T8 is coming in Update 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5SkE4nzhg
Still feb/march, but they're stating already it'll break your saves since they're reworking T7.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
At least T8 is coming. I was very disappointed that it didn't come with Update 3. I always stopped right around T7 because I didn't feel the need progress further.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DelphiAegis posted:

Still feb/march, but they're stating already it'll break your saves since they're reworking T7.

Hoping it doesn't mess things up too much, I can't imagine trying to rework the larger projects I've done to suit whatever changes are introduced. If it completely breaks them I'll probably just start a new save once the patch drops. Still a few months away, should be able to complete my 48 supercomputer/min plant and get the Golden Nut before then, which I've long considered the standard for "beating the game" anyway.

Curious about the new building, looks like it has 2 belt input ports on the front and maybe some kind of fluid tank on top? Possibly a late-game manufacturer type building that lets you input fluid directly.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 4, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Curious about the new building, looks like it has 2 belt input ports on the front and maybe some kind of fluid tank on top? Possibly a late-game manufacturer type building that lets you input fluid directly.

At first I thought they were going to say it was a centrifuge, but then when they said batteries also use it that's what I ended up thinking too. Batteries are probably gonna be like Copper/Aluminum + Sulfuric Acid in that new building I bet.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

DelphiAegis posted:

Weird, they're re-working nuclear fuel but didn't bother to include in their prep tips to stockpile fuel rods.

Edit: I bet it is a centrifuge, some kind of new refinery/smelter hybrid. It would make sense that you use it for fuel rods and would align with simplifying Bauxite and eliminating refineries.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 4, 2020

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Weird, they're re-working nuclear fuel but didn't bother to include in their prep tips to stockpile fuel rods.

Edit: I bet it is a centrifuge, some kind of new refinery/smelter hybrid. It would make sense that you use it for fuel rods and would align with simplifying Bauxite and eliminating refineries.

They said stockpile everything in tier 7.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

So i bought this for my kid on sale so we could play together and the christmas stuff is suuuuuuuuuuuper distracting when you’re just starting the game.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DelphiAegis posted:

Hmmm. I definitely agree that refineries are out of control with how many of the drat things you have to build. The fact that they're power-hungry is fine, but they're just so loving huge. Laying out an array of 20-30 smelters or constructors is easy, a big refinery setup is much more annoying.

The idea that aluminum production is too difficult / complex I don't agree with, particularly now that we have valves. The whole thing with water by-product that needs to feed backwards was a bit of a puzzle before valves, but now you can just dial in 60 per scarp refiner and 40 from extractors. But maybe they have data that says people can't figure it out. I definitely saw a ton of "why no fluid sink?" being asked on the reddit before update 3.5 came out. I'd have imagined valves would fix that but I may be overestimating the audience.

OTOH I've already solved that puzzle, including the hard way without valves, so I don't super object to it being changed.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It doesn't use any fuel though and has a single inventory space, so you can use them to set up an automated delivery route of low-yield items like turbo motors or whatever. Way better than just using a belt.

I really *really* want to set up a high-end factory that uses tons of carts to move everything around, but first I need someone to make a mod for a cart-size vehicle depot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

So i bought this for my kid on sale so we could play together and the christmas stuff is suuuuuuuuuuuper distracting when you’re just starting the game.

You can turn it off in the options.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Klyith posted:

The idea that aluminum production is too difficult / complex I don't agree with, particularly now that we have valves. The whole thing with water by-product that needs to feed backwards was a bit of a puzzle before valves, but now you can just dial in 60 per scarp refiner and 40 from extractors. But maybe they have data that says people can't figure it out. I definitely saw a ton of "why no fluid sink?" being asked on the reddit before update 3.5 came out. I'd have imagined valves would fix that but I may be overestimating the audience.

OTOH I've already solved that puzzle, including the hard way without valves, so I don't super object to it being changed.

I don't know if it's the conceptual difficulty that's the problem, just that it requires three steps with four different resources just to reach aluminium ingots and a fourth step (with a fifth resource) to make the only product ingots are used in. Especially with petroleum coke as an input, where getting a reliable output of that is a challenge in itself that you haven't had to approach before, so you probably have to set up a new refinery system that scraps excess packaged fuel unless you've found relevant alternates. It's a big hump of production capacity to build just to get the tier's basic resource, which is supposed to be your start point for getting into the tier.

If it weren't for them claiming to take refineries out of the design, my prediction would have been that they remove alumina solution and the need for petroleum coke, with the first step being water + bauxite -> al. scrap + water so they could retain the "feed the output back to the input" design while cutting down significantly on the complexity of setting up aluminium. Or maybe they will do that, since this will still cut down the number of refineries you need, especially if they increase the throughput of the recipe too.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can turn it off in the options.

Nice. Thanks. Trying to convince an 8 year old to gather plants instead of presents is a hard proposition.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

It's a big hump of production capacity to build just to get the tier's basic resource, which is supposed to be your start point for getting into the tier.

Yeah, if tier 8 is now very different from the unreleased / datamined quantum stuff seen previously it would make more sense for aluminum to be more of an entry point to the tier.

I thought the old aluminum design was good, when aluminum was also pretty much the end of the standard resource system altogether. As the capstone to everything you'd been doing before it was satisfying, with resources that required a transportation network to employ because bauxite, water, petcoke, and copper aren't found in the same areas. And then tier 8 was the start of a totally new resource system and production chain, which seemed to be basically "go back to the start but more complicated". With that as the future direction the capacity issue isn't as big a deal, because the goal isn't to build dozens of turbomotors per minute anymore. You don't need a massive aluminum supply chain to support just 1-2 turbomotor manufacturers.

That design may not have been the best though, if the whole tier 8+ part wasn't working out. My guess is that the unspoken part in that video is that tier 8 is no longer quantum geegaws, and now tier 7 and 8 are a stretched and expanded version of what tier 7 was before. Turbomotors in tier 8, an actual production use for batteries, a new building that will be used for items we've already seen -- all that seems like tier 8 won't have much "new stuff" but will have a very different production process.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For aluminum waste water, I just pipe it back down the factory to where its getting pumped up the side of the factory. Since the pipeline is getting more water than is needed, the water pumps then slow down automatically because the pipes are already at capacity.

Didn't seem that complex to do.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Just got to coal power, gonna rebuilt my factory after I get proper power finally setup, finally no more mulching trees and leaves.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenzarin posted:

For aluminum waste water, I just pipe it back down the factory to where its getting pumped up the side of the factory. Since the pipeline is getting more water than is needed, the water pumps then slow down automatically because the pipes are already at capacity.

Didn't seem that complex to do.

That works great with the right arrangement of pipe segments plus the elevation change, and badly or not at all with pipes that are level.

The first aluminum setup I ever did was a tiny temporary one, designed to produce a cargo crate of plates for mk5 belts when building the *big* stuff. 1 machine of each step, with just bauxite and silica being mined. The petcoke and copper ingots just came from 2 boxes. Easy enough, math it out and under & overclock things to make everything balance. But my refineries choked on water despite the extractor being set to only supply the units/min needed. As it was before valve existed, I needed a buffer and an unpowered pump for a one-way valve to get it fully stable.

I think the reason lots of people got frustrated with the aluminum water is that you have this situation where someone can show you a thing that works, but it doesn't work in your own setup due to plumbing differences. The fluid sim can do some pretty weird stuff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Something I just thought of. If update 4 is gonna nuke my save, then I'm not gonna really keep all the christmas event stuff, will I?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Leal posted:

Something I just thought of. If update 4 is gonna nuke my save, then I'm not gonna really keep all the christmas event stuff, will I?

It's not going to nuke your save.
They specifically said they're working to keep as much as possible working from old saves. No recipes from tiers 0-6 should be changing at all. Only factories making tier 7 items (including supercomputers and radio control units) will need to be rebuilt.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been making supercomputers, but I haven't gotten anything else because I need more plastic. But I need to find the Recycled Plastic recipe before I can get any of that set up, and I swear its going to be the last one I find. I have recycled rubber, but I already have plenty of rubber. I got the Caterium Computers and Silica Circuit Boards early on, so I never really needed plastic, so most of my stuff is making rubber.

I feel like stuff like Turbofuel, Compacted Coal, and Recycled Rubber/plastic should be in a static location, since you kind of need those late game.

Also, is there a way to turn down the fog? I know how to turn it off, but it looks kinda weird. I have a factory set up near the coal deposits in the north west of the map, but gets so thick there you can't see more than a few feet ahead, which makes building difficult.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 7, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you wanted to keep your existing world but be prepared for update 4, they're recommending you stock up on things like Turbomotors/Supercomputers/RCUs/etc. that they're changing. So you can jump in and build the things that require those items and also rebuild your assembly lines for T7 items.

I'm just going to make a new world anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

nielsm posted:

It's not going to nuke your save.
They specifically said they're working to keep as much as possible working from old saves. No recipes from tiers 0-6 should be changing at all. Only factories making tier 7 items (including supercomputers and radio control units) will need to be rebuilt.

That's basically nuking the save for anyone in the late game. Tiers 0-6 are relatively trivial in terms of complexity when compared to aluminum refinement and everything that comes after, most of which is likely to break when the update hits. Anyone with several hundred hours in the game is going to see their major projects past maybe the ~100 hour mark either in need of serious repair or so broken that they might as well be dismantled entirely.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Re saves and update 4, their save format is very tolerant of changes and I doubt updates will ever make saves totally incompatible. They store everything in json structures with explicit names, so there's never collision like you get with ID#s. And the game just drops anything it doesn't know how to load. You can mod your game to heck and back, and still load it in vanilla. Everything that came from mods gets deleted, that's it.

A Moose posted:

I feel like stuff like Turbofuel, Compacted Coal, and Recycled Rubber/plastic should be in a static location, since you kind of need those late game.
I mean, you really don't need them. The quantities of stuff you need to progress unlocks and build buildings are pretty modest when talking about the high-level items like computers and up. Like if you had a challenge where you had to build every computer by hand, and so you had incentive to make only as many as you needed, it wouldn't be terrible just getting through the tiers and building your infrastructure.

OTOH if you evaluate everything in terms of buying the gold nut, then yes you kinda need a lot of alternate recipes. But you're talking about the optional maximum challenge in the game. It's supposed to be difficult, that's the point.

A Moose posted:

Also, is there a way to turn down the fog? I know how to turn it off, but it looks kinda weird. I have a factory set up near the coal deposits in the north west of the map, but gets so thick there you can't see more than a few feet ahead, which makes building difficult.

Nope, on and off is the only setting. I definitely agree, that bay is one of the spots that's just stupid foggy at times. They've said they want to take another pass at the fog stuff. I really hope that's on the list for update 4.

As a note, the fog in many areas like that north bay is very altitude dependent. Just building a few lookout towers can get you out of the zone where you can't see to build, so you can at least place the machines. And if you're building anything big, make a multi-story structure so you can go up rather than out.

Vasudus posted:

If you wanted to keep your existing world but be prepared for update 4, they're recommending you stock up on things like Turbomotors/Supercomputers/RCUs/etc.

In particular, the Mk2 versions of constructors, assemblers, and manufacturers use terbomotors and supercomputers. So "stock up" is probably covered by something between a half-dozen stacks and a storage box, unless you plan to start replacing 1000s of building in your old infrastructure as soon as you unlock that tech.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm kinda the opposite, that setting up the infrastructure to handle late game recipes takes up mountains more time than actually say make a turbo motor factory. You gotta find the nodes, set up a base of operations near by, you gotta bring in a ton of resources depending on the size of the base, and you gotta figure a way your getting to and back there.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Tenzarin posted:

... you gotta figure a way your getting to and back there.

If you aren't building hypercannons (or at least normal hypertubes) then what even are you doing with this game.

In related news, I started playing with a friend who doesn't know about stacking hypertube entrances to make a hypercannon. I spent two hours building a hypercannon that would shoot you from one end of the map clear across to the other so she would hit a tree and die. Worth it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That's basically nuking the save for anyone in the late game. Tiers 0-6 are relatively trivial in terms of complexity when compared to aluminum refinement and everything that comes after, most of which is likely to break when the update hits. Anyone with several hundred hours in the game is going to see their major projects past maybe the ~100 hour mark either in need of serious repair or so broken that they might as well be dismantled entirely.

So if the idea is that it will be a big hassle to fix / deconstruct your late game factories, here's what you do. Right before the update comes out, load your save into satisfactory-calculator, and delete your busted tier 7 factories with the easy-peasy drag select tool. You don't get the mats back but you keep all your early to mid-game progress and infrastructure. If you've got a storage array you'll have plenty of stuff to rebuild with.

Sure you can blitz through iron and steel when you know what you're doing, but rebuilding oil stuff in sounds like a giant drag to me. Large oil refinery setups aren't any less work to build than aluminum IMO.

OTOH if the idea is to take the excuse to start fresh on a new save, that's good too.

Tenzarin posted:

I'm kinda the opposite, that setting up the infrastructure to handle late game recipes takes up mountains more time than actually say make a turbo motor factory. You gotta find the nodes, set up a base of operations near by, you gotta bring in a ton of resources depending on the size of the base, and you gotta figure a way your getting to and back there.

Oh yeah, the transportation infrastructure is also a killer. Especially if you run your rail in nice lines with elevated causeways. If you just slap that poo poo on the ground in ugly squiggles it doesn't take that long, but who wants that? A nice rail line is an investment.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

So if the idea is that it will be a big hassle to fix / deconstruct your late game factories, here's what you do. Right before the update comes out, load your save into satisfactory-calculator, and delete your busted tier 7 factories with the easy-peasy drag select tool. You don't get the mats back but you keep all your early to mid-game progress and infrastructure. If you've got a storage array you'll have plenty of stuff to rebuild with.

Sure you can blitz through iron and steel when you know what you're doing, but rebuilding oil stuff in sounds like a giant drag to me. Large oil refinery setups aren't any less work to build than aluminum IMO.

Might do this, depends how much things break. I think my fuel generator facility will be fine which is the big thing, having to deal with power generation again would be kind of demoralizing even knowing that things would break with updates ahead of time. Unless they really mess with refineries some more and change the diluted package fuel cycle I think it will keep going through update 4.

This ~47 supercomputer/min factory I just finished after about 50 hours of work will probably need troubleshooting in one form or another. Started it before the announcement that players shouldn't start any major projects producing supercomputers, hoping repairs won't be too difficult when the changes come. That's still months away anyway.

Original generated plan and floor plans:

code:
Floor 1:

60 Refineries (4x15):
600 water       >  4 belts 562.5 copper ingots
900 copper ore

code:
Floor 2:

120 Refineries (8x15):
1200 water       > 8 belts 562.5 copper ingots
1800 copper ore

code:
Floor 3:

20 Refineries (2x10):
200 water            > 1 belt 750 copper ingots
remaining copper ore
(1 pipe 400 water extra)

40 Refineries (4x10):
1200 crude oil > 1600 oil residue (4 pipes 400)
		 800 polymer resin (2 belts 400)

54 Packagers (3x18)

3200 water            > 3200 packaged water (3 belt 600 3 belt 480)
3200 empty container
(1 pipe 360 water extra)

code:
Floor 4:

54 Refinery
1600 oil residue     >  3200 packaged fuel (4 belts 720 1 belt 360)
3200 packaged water 

54 Packager
3200 packaged fuel > 3200 fuel
	             3200 empty container

code:
Floor 5:

118 Refinery
~2840 Caterium Ore > 1420 Caterium Ingots

20 Refinery
800 polymer resin > 400 rubber
800 water	  >

21 Refinery
remaining water   >   470 copper sheet
470 iron ingot

code:
Floor 6:

63 Refinery
Fuel   > plastic
rubber

44 Refinery
fuel    > rubber
plastic

32 Assembler
Copper Ingots   >  Wire
Caterium Ingots

48 Constructor
Wire > Cable

code:
Floor 7:

176 Assembler
all caterium ingots  >  ~16000 quickwire
all copper ingots

92 Assembler
~3440 quickwire > ~800 circuit board
~1200 plastic

code:
Floor 8:

19 Assembler
all copper sheet > ~95 AI limiter
~1890 quickwire

38 Manufacturer
all cable           >  ~140 high speed connector
~7920 quickwire
~140 circuit board

26 Manufacturer
remaining rubber          > ~95 computer
remaining circuit board
remaining quickwire

26 Manufacturer

remaining plastic        > ~48 supercomputer
all AI limiter
all computer
all high speed connector

From ground level before putting windows on:

Finished project:

All so it can feed supercomputers on a Mk. 1 belt into a storage container and resource sink.

Can finally step away from this now and actually engage with the Christmas content. Maybe I can make a similarly excessive tree factory while this slowly gets me to the Golden Nut.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

DelphiAegis posted:

I see this and think, well my save breaking sucks but at least it'll be an opportunity to build a proper factory with walls and poo poo, instead of my floating platforms and conveyor spaghetti mess that is my current factory.

And then I stop lying to myself and admit I'll probably just make the same inefficient mess all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hipster Occultist posted:

And then I stop lying to myself and admit I'll probably just make the same inefficient mess all over again.

Now now, you'll make a totally new inefficient mess as you try to apply new building methods.