Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thom12255 posted:

I'm having a great time in Hitman 2 and ACV. Love Forza Horizon 4 as well. Much better playing them at 60fps than 30fps on the Xbox One.

I know if you already own a last-gen console and have low standards for frame rate then the XSX and XSS are meh right now but I've never owned a console before and I'm having a lot of fun and glad I picked one up on release. My wife is really enjoying it too and it's helping her relax after pretty stressful days at work.

I'm shocked how much bitching there is about these consoles because this is absolutely the best that a console has ever offered at launch. There's a deep backlog of last-generation games that are in most cases significantly improved by running on the new hardware, vs a small pool of often mediocre launch titles that comes with most console launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm shocked how much bitching there is about these consoles because this is absolutely the best that a console has ever offered at launch. There's a deep backlog of last-generation games that are in most cases significantly improved by running on the new hardware, vs a small pool of often mediocre launch titles that comes with most console launches.

Well go into the PS5 thread and it's all about how awesome it is to play PS4 games on the PS5. Come into this thread and it's PS5 console warriors trying to spin the same situation into some sort of sick burn on Xbox.

It's tiring and PS console warriors are literally the worst of the lot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is John Wick Hex any good?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Coming from a PS4 these last 7 years, I am really enjoying my new Xbox. With game pass it just is a super nice deal. So many games I still have to try out.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

John F Bennett posted:

Coming from a PS4 these last 7 years, I am really enjoying my new Xbox. With game pass it just is a super nice deal. So many games I still have to try out.

All I want is the next Bethesda title on Gamepass so I can be disappointed for $1 instead of $70

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Personally I am really enjoying

1. Yakuza like a dragon, which runs very badly on the PS4 so I bought it on series s
2. All of gamepass

Gamepass is cool! I never had it before so to me these are all new games. There is so much to play seriously what the hell. Honestly really impressed with it

Roman posted:

Is Control on console Game Pass going to be the next gen upgraded port when that's released, or still the vanilla 30 fps version

I downloaded and played it on series s and it does not run very well

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sure I could have played gamepass on pc but I have 1000+ hours played in the free game dota 2, so that’ll tell you how my pc gaming time is spent

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

ErrEff posted:

Installed Titanfall to check how the population is. 187 players worldwidw. Oof.

Game still excellent.

original or 2?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Too busy enjoying my Xbox to respond to the trolls and haters.

Tetris Effect Connected is really good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is John Wick Hex any good?

Yes and no.
Is it a fun/challenging tactics game? Yeah
But it has some major flaws.
First off its way too janky and stiff to go for the cinematic/cool camera angles and action replay stuff it is attempting. It looks ridiculous and not at all like the movies.
Secondly, your ammo and health persist between levels of a chapter and refills are scarce so you can gently caress yourself over and make levels unbeatable if you have bad luck in an earlier one
Thirdly, the ui is annoying and john wick will do things you didnt want fairly often.

But its a cool game to try out but maybe not actually finish

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I skipped the PS4 pro so I’ve only been playing PS4 games on my Ps5 lol.

I am starting to think that the PS5 controller beats the standard Xbox controller now though.

It’s not as good as the elite but it’s a huge step up from
The DS4 Jesus.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes and no.
Is it a fun/challenging tactics game? Yeah
But it has some major flaws.
First off its way too janky and stiff to go for the cinematic/cool camera angles and action replay stuff it is attempting. It looks ridiculous and not at all like the movies.
Secondly, your ammo and health persist between levels of a chapter and refills are scarce so you can gently caress yourself over and make levels unbeatable if you have bad luck in an earlier one
Thirdly, the ui is annoying and john wick will do things you didnt want fairly often.

But its a cool game to try out but maybe not actually finish

Thanks! I think I’ll skip it for now and wait for it to go on sale or Gamepass. I’m really not up for care over health and ammo.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 4, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

MarcusSA posted:

I skipped the PS4 pro so I’ve only been playing PS4 games on my Ps5 lol.

I am starting to think that the PS5 controller beats the standard Xbox controller now though.

It’s not as good as the elite but it’s a huge step up from
The DS4 Jesus.

Yeah the PS5 controller looks really good. I think it'd be great for a game like Ori.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh how long does Madden take to load on startup? Like the bar moves super fast and just hangs with like 10% left. Goddamn EA

That some special tittle of screw up. I’ve tried quoting and even restarting the system. It does the same thing.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

It just occurred to me that since all of us manchildren (and womanchildren, etc) have our Series X/S now, and the actual kids will mostly get theirs from Christmas Eve through New Years be it from parents / friends /cool as hell grandparents / what have you that downloading anything from gamepass or updates is going to get pretty slow. How many parents do you think crack the box open, carefully unwrap, update, etc the thing and repack it the week or two before for the kids? Nothing says fun for Christmas like waiting for a 40gb fortnite update (or 133 gb halo MCC download) .

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Crafty posted:

original or 2?

Original, I'm sure the sequel has a larger population.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

otter posted:

It just occurred to me that since all of us manchildren (and womanchildren, etc) have our Series X/S now, and the actual kids will mostly get theirs from Christmas Eve through New Years be it from parents / friends /cool as hell grandparents / what have you that downloading anything from gamepass or updates is going to get pretty slow. How many parents do you think crack the box open, carefully unwrap, update, etc the thing and repack it the week or two before for the kids? Nothing says fun for Christmas like waiting for a 40gb fortnite update (or 133 gb halo MCC download) .
I'm gifting my 41yo brother my old One X with a 3 month Game Pass sub and dev mode installed with every pre 2005 video game ever made.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

otter posted:

Look some of us celebrate Hanukah and Christmas and are cool parents too. :colbert:

Also I just had to delete Madden and try redownloading. Normally this would greatly annoy me, man this system plugged right into my Fios. 50 GBs in 15 minutes. I could never even do this on steam...makes me wonder if my network card or something on my 2011 pc build (updated for memory and graphics card) has some sort of limit built into some hardware I’ve never released. That said these speeds also blow the :piss: out my PS4 pro downloads.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

ErrEff posted:

Original, I'm sure the sequel has a larger population.

I played the hell out of the original at launch, such a good game. I've downloaded the 2nd one off gamepass, going to try it out this weekend.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Look some of us celebrate Hanukah and Christmas and are cool parents too. :colbert:

Cool is relative for people who spell it with one k and no c yo. (I kid, I kid.) It also ends a week before the larger-by-population-#s-mass-retail-holiday for which children may receive said xboxen who will already be neck-deep in games by then.

Also, yes. Why on earth is the Playstation 3 and 4 so damned slow to get updates and downloads? I always thought it was my router but upgrading to a nice mesh system didn't help and then I found out my brother (who is a playstation whore) has the same slowness.

Additionally, American McGay wins all winter holidays by driving a monster semi-truck full of so many collectable and rare games to their brother's home.

Come to think of it, all my brothers are shitheels and our sister isn't much better, though mostly she's so self-centered that she runs the daily risk of throwing the earth's orbit out of whack.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

otter posted:

Cool is relative for people who spell it with one k and no c yo. (I kid, I kid.) It also ends a week before the larger-by-population-#s-mass-retail-holiday for which children may receive said xboxen who will already be neck-deep in games by then.

Also, yes. Why on earth is the Playstation 3 and 4 so damned slow to get updates and downloads? I always thought it was my router but upgrading to a nice mesh system didn't help and then I found out my brother (who is a playstation whore) has the same slowness.

No cool, but oddly it’s something that I was also horrible on the PSP too. Though I think that was wifi related. I just remember having a long rear end train trip from NYC back to Philly and trying desperately to download my game before I left and Jesus did the PSP suck.

Same issues on the PS4 when I had a wired connection and the mesh network. That series x is goddamn ridiculously fast. I normally get 500mbs and even had some brief appearances for 10 seconds of 1.35 gbps. I suspect that was an error as I Max out at 1gb for Fios. But barring times where it gets “slow” 30-50mbs, it’s usually comically fast. Even for the slow times if I reset the system it kicks back up and sometimes naturally goes up. So I don’t know if it’s my PC which is also wired causing it...which does give me an idea for an experiment to try (only have the Xbox wired and do some downloads). I’m just astonished I had Cyberpunk 2077 preloaded in about 20 minutes or so.

I’m so so happy I don’t have trash like Xfinity.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The wifi modems they stuck in the PS4s absolutely sucked, just atrocious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m so so happy I don’t have trash like Xfinity.

My cutoff date for Xfinity is December 8th and 1 gig fiber comes in on December 9th. gently caress yeah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am amazed at how fast things download on PS5. I didn't realize I was being robbed this whole time.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

otter posted:

after owning a PS3, PSP, PS4, and also a Vita, PSN in general is a piece of poo poo network propped up and held together with poop and sticks. It's a miracle it hasn't completely collapsed on itself already (though you could make the argument that the massive hack was about as close as it gets to a total collapse). IMO they should completely shut it down and rework it, like MS did for 360 and onwards. Gonna suck for PS3/PSP/Vita touchers but there's just so much jank. never had these issues back when I was playing SOCOM 2 through DNAS on my PS2 :colbert:

that being said I have no idea if any of that contributes to your poor download speeds but the alternative is that the wifi chip sucks I guess

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 4, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The wifi chips suck AND PSN is also a massive piece of poo poo so it's a double-edge sword

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Its not the wifi only, ps4pro has 5g wireless and still takes way too long to grab stuff and a wired up ps4 is still slow as hell too even bypassing the garbage wifi
Theres several weird issues that all combine to make it suck and the best you can do is set up a proxy, stop and start the download until you get a good server, and wait in rest mode.
Ps5 downloads about a billion times faster than 4 could ever hope to in the same conditions.

Though the true king of bad wifi is the launch switch i have which has zero connectivity in the next room from the router at ranges where a phone still has max bars

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 4, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The wifi on a vanilla PS4 isn't even 5GHz right? Lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Real hurthling! posted:

Its not the wifi only, ps4pro has 5g wireless and still takes way too long to grab stuff and a wired up ps4 is still slow as hell too even bypassing the garbage wifi
Theres several weird issues that all combine to make it suck and the best you can do is set up a proxy, stop and start the download until you get a good server, and wait in rest mode.
Ps5 downloads about a billion times faster than 4 could ever hope to in the same conditions.

I'd assume maybe the SSD write speeds helps with the PS5's download performance, no? Coupled with wifi 6 speeds.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dunno, but ps4 never got enough data/second to saturate its write speed so i dont think so

teagone posted:

The wifi on a vanilla PS4 isn't even 5GHz right? Lol.

Right, that was added for pro

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is there a controller stand that would work with usb-c (or the other charging port on the bottom) and the official battery pack thingies? Like the ps5 one. I already have the battery packs so I don't want one that makes me use their batteries and a new piece of plastic over the battery area, but that seems to be the only option.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I imagine ms being one of the largest cloud computing companies in the world helps keep Xbox live speedy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Power of the cloud, you say?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So if my account has Gamepass but I have my son signed up under me in a family account does he still need a Live account to play? I can sign into his xbox and then switch to his profile but then if I go to my xbox it tells me I can only play on one xbox at a time, even if it's a game I own and not on game pass.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wont get to pick up my Series X tonight, but Best Buy finally has it available for pickup. :toot: Got held up with a house furnace repair.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

wandler20 posted:

So if my account has Gamepass but I have my son signed up under me in a family account does he still need a Live account to play? I can sign into his xbox and then switch to his profile but then if I go to my xbox it tells me I can only play on one xbox at a time, even if it's a game I own and not on game pass.

You'll need to go into the Personalisation menu in the settings and set his console as your home console. This means that on your console you will have to be connected to the internet to play your games.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Why don’t they just have a family option? Make the requirement be to have everyone connected via the Microsoft family thing. Max of like 5 accounts? It seems like I can be signed in on my series x which is now my home unit and on my one s in the other room.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Game sharing is basically something that's unintended but not policed at all.

The PS3 allowed like 5 people at once and Sony immediately cracked down on that with the PS4 so I wouldn't hold your breath for something better any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I picked up MK11 for like 15 dollarydoos and the story is so loving insane. Absolutely stupid. It’s impressively stupid, though. They def made an effort at least :D
The new Xbox dpad really shines with fighting games. I thought it was too clicky at first but I appreciate it now.