Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I stopped using the word on the forums when people asked me to, because that seemed like the reasonable thing to do. That being said, if you're mad enough on a Friday night to pay ten dollars to totally own someone online, maybe log off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

charliemonster42 posted:

Careful, you’ll end up with an avatar. Somebodies upset and has mommies credit card.

Lmao welcome to the crew mate.

Anyway to get back on topic, this was listed as "customer states slight vibration"

https://i.imgur.com/Ayjx8o6.mp4

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Memento posted:

I stopped using the word on the forums when people asked me to, because that seemed like the reasonable thing to do. That being said, if you're mad enough on a Friday night to pay ten dollars to totally own someone online, maybe log off.

The really funny part is he’s inflicting it upon everyone who sees my new avatar. Oh well, jimmies have been rustled, money has been spent, and I’ve got a new avatar out of it.

ili posted:

Anyway to get back on topic, this was listed as "customer states slight vibration"

https://i.imgur.com/Ayjx8o6.mp4

And it’s a good crew to be on.

Also I’ve wondered how people manage to let things get that bad. I know I’m hyper-sensitive to funny noises and vibrations, but the absolute cacophony must have been staggering.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

charliemonster42 posted:

You’re right - I’m not trying to get banned for trying to parse out why someone has a different sense of humor. I just find it amusing that people get wrapped that far around the axle about a word on a ruler in a YouTube video made by a Canadian millwright/millwright adjacent person who makes money by being a bit blue. None of what he says would be amiss on any job site.

Yeah just cause something is said on a jobsite doesn't make it a-okay. The amount of casual racism and sexism thrown around on job sites is absurd and not a good thing. Canada certainly doesn't use the word in the way our Australian or British friends do, so this guy has has no excuse. It's part of the problem.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

wontondestruction posted:

So sensitive up in here, Christ. AVE rules

he stinks, he's a big stinky

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah just cause something is said on a jobsite doesn't make it a-okay. The amount of casual racism and sexism thrown around on job sites is absurd and not a good thing. Canada certainly doesn't use the word in the way our Australian or British friends do, so this guy has has no excuse. It's part of the problem.

Casual racism and sexism is actually fine in other countries

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i'm sure someone will pop up to say "oh lol that's just how shop guys talk"

charliemonster42 posted:

None of what he says would be amiss on any job site.

It’s a joke that’s been around as long as there have been machinists. In fact, I first heard it from my old boss while we were installing office furniture of all things. Let’s not all get high and mighty

Honestly it took more posts than I expected to get there. SA really is growing up, I guess (at least most of the posters are)

Anyway, "lots of people are offhandedly sexist every day" is not a good reason to excuse it! It is still unpleasant and offensive and it drives women out of all sorts of industries! Don't be a shithead!

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Honestly it took more posts than I expected to get there. SA really is growing up, I guess (at least most of the posters are)

Anyway, "lots of people are offhandedly sexist every day" is not a good reason to excuse it! It is still unpleasant and offensive and it drives women out of all sorts of industries! Don't be a shithead!

I mean, it is how shop guys talk, and I, as a relatively young engineer in a field full of older men with literally more years of experience than I’ve been alive, am not going to directly change their minds or behavior by telling them what they can and cannot say. Have to lead by example, which helps prevent things from going downhill. Eventually it will spread through to the crew but it will take time.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like AvE. A lot of his content is whatever but tearing apart tools has been useful information. Just turn on ad block and let your conscience rest.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I think it's fair to say that I am the most liberal and pc poster in this thread, if not this forum. And I for one still love to watch the AvE videos. Sure, his schtick is unenlightened and regressive as hell. But it's also tongue in cheek and hilarious.

Like, everyone should remember that there's a difference between being non PC because you're a caveman versus knowingly trying to be transgressive. Hell, if we couldn't be transgressive on purpose, there wouldn't even be such a thing as punk rock.

My liberal commie rear end is gonna keep watching AvE.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think it's fair to say that I am the most liberal and pc poster in this thread, if not this forum. And I for one still love to watch the AvE videos. Sure, his schtick is unenlightened and regressive as hell. But it's also tongue in cheek and hilarious.

Like, everyone should remember that there's a difference between being non PC because you're a caveman versus knowingly trying to be transgressive. Hell, if we couldn't be transgressive on purpose, there wouldn't even be such a thing as punk rock.

My liberal commie rear end is gonna keep watching AvE.

Not an empty quote.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I know two people that had 5 speed Rangers.

They both did that.

It may interest this discussion to know that even the mid 2010ish F750s did the same. So did my dad's 1989 F150.

What a weird, specific manufacturer defect.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

angryrobots posted:

It may interest this discussion to know that even the mid 2010ish F750s did the same. So did my dad's 1989 F150.

What a weird, specific manufacturer defect.
Ever not heard a Ford truck power steering pump?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Ford power steering pump whine will always put a smile on my face because it reminds me of my dad's old seventh gen F-150 and my grandpa's old Crown Vic.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Is that the one where it makes a whining noise like a Stuka dive-bomber, but somehow never breaks?

And if you accidentally fill it with Power Stearing fluid it gets 100x worse?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

ili posted:

Man, looks like we’ve all committed the grievous sin of enjoying things. Can’t possibly have context or ambiguity regarding what people do or say, we need to take everything everybody says at it’s face value and with the most grievous intent possible.

At least the forums now have $50 more in the coffers. Silver linings and all that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ugh can we please drop this bullshit already

Someone start a C word discussion thread or something and take it there please

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the idea of excusing casual racism and sexism just because it's been happening forever is stupid.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ugh can we please drop this bullshit already

Someone start a C word discussion thread or something and take it there please

Sorry, I’ll stop now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

charliemonster42 posted:

The real irony is the person seemingly most upset about it also has flair with animated confederate memes about general Shermans scorched earth as he plowed through the south, but we definitely need to be most upset and offended about the usage of the word “oval office”. I’d call him a oval office but, to quote jimmy carr, he lacks the depth, warmth, and the capacity to provide pleasure.

The problem is not with the word ‘oval office’ any more than the problem with the Access Hollywood tape was that Trump said ‘pussy’.

Hope that helps.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I just find it a little ironic people get so upset over a word that is essentially just slang for vagina, almost as if the rules would be acceptable if he labeled the scale "vagina hairs". I don't use the word oval office in my daily language because I respect that other people dislike it, I just think it's dumb how "oval office" is somehow different than other slang like "pussy". The only way I can personally relate to it is that I wouldn't care if someone called me a "dick head" instead of a "penis head" if they got mad at me. All insults should be equal, they just mean that your actions have made somebody upset. I don't get insulted often, hell I can't even rent the last time I made someone mad at work, but some jobs (collections. . .) are just going to involve talking to upset emotional people. If I called someone to say their car is getting repossessed, I wouldn't cry because they called me a oval office or dick head instead of a penis head, insults are insults and they should all be the same in my opinion.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the good quirky home machinist channel is This Old Tony.
Yes. He's legit funny and very often self-deprecating.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lets get back on the subject of of mechanical failures, not the failures of human beings.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey boss, you heard about that new variable valve timing Ford have going on?

https://i.imgur.com/dlAOlZ6.mp4

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

Hey boss, you heard about that new variable valve timing Ford have going on?

https://i.imgur.com/dlAOlZ6.mp4

Uhhh what is that out of?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What the gently caress? Is that one of those ones where the lobes are laser welded on and that one... Didn't have such great penetration? It's weird how smoothly it turns.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They press them onto the central shaft and then run a ball bearing through the middle of it to get enough expansion to make them all stay in place.

There are Problems with this method, as demonstrated. 6.8L Triton engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ford power steering pump whine will always put a smile on my face because it reminds me of my dad's old seventh gen F-150 and my grandpa's old Crown Vic.

Fear not, modernish Fords still whine.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Memento posted:

They press them onto the central shaft and then run a ball bearing through the middle of it to get enough expansion to make them all stay in place.

There are Problems with this method, as demonstrated. 6.8L Triton engine.
What is the proper way to make a camshaft? I always assumed they just use a bazillion axis CNC or some other fancy tool. Has the ball bearing technique been used successfully on other engines?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The proper way is to machine the whole thing from one piece of steel, as opposed to trying to make camshafts that can take any profile by pressing the lobes onto a blank shaft and letting them fail like this. Every cam I saw when I was spinning spanners for a living in the late 90s-early 2000s was one simple piece of metal with no possibility for anything moving.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But then they would still work after the warranty was up, can't have that!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I always thought that crankshafts and camshafts were either cast or forged, and then machined.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I always thought that crankshafts and camshafts were either cast or forged, and then machined.

Ford: hold my beer

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ford: hold my cam lobe

FTFY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Galaxy brain: do the “expand the tube by forcing a ball down it” trick, but have the parts scrupulously clean so that they vacuum weld.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

We here at Ford explosively hydroform all of our parts, it's not much but it's cheaper.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myfnvhl_r4

Allen Millyard is amazing

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

That whole project is awesome.

He's also the guy who put a Viper V10 in a motorcycle, which is especially impressive as he's from the UK.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

That whole project is awesome.

He's also the guy who put a Viper V10 in a motorcycle, which is especially impressive as he's from the UK.

I'm sure Chrysler had already figured out how to make it leak oil.