Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

at the end of the day all fuel based power plants burn a thing to boil water to make a turbine spin. There no other way to slice it other than combining the turbine + boiler into a "power plant" and allow more esoteric fuel methods that may cut out a middle process (e.g. converting crude oil into solid fuel products).

I think the only thing that'd help make solid fuel have a little more spice to it is if they could have different burning temperatures, so the boiled product can have higher values. but I guess at the end of the day having more joules of energy being used at a constant lower rate will basically surmount to the same thing as blasting it quickly to get a higher temp.

It's interesting because higher temp steam does change the output of things, I have a steam miner that changes the output speed according to the temp of the steam.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
More joules from better fuels is not quite as boring as it first appears, if the engines are capable of more output from the higher temp then a fuel change is a free upgrade to your power plant output.

The mod I'm making has higher efficiency for the superheater to provide more of a reason to use it and to justify the plumbing.
I think I will expand the scope a little and add oil- and gas-fired boilers and superheaters.

It's pretty cool to get 5.4 MW from a single turbine running off coal or solid fuel.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Fishbus posted:

at the end of the day all fuel based power plants burn a thing to boil water to make a turbine spin. There no other way to slice it other than combining the turbine + boiler into a "power plant" and allow more esoteric fuel methods that may cut out a middle process (e.g. converting crude oil into solid fuel products).

I think the only thing that'd help make solid fuel have a little more spice to it is if they could have different burning temperatures, so the boiled product can have higher values. but I guess at the end of the day having more joules of energy being used at a constant lower rate will basically surmount to the same thing as blasting it quickly to get a higher temp.

It's interesting because higher temp steam does change the output of things, I have a steam miner that changes the output speed according to the temp of the steam.

It isn't vanilla but bob's mods seem pretty much like how I like modded minecraft to be, way better. Anyway this is my sea of oil burning generators, with a few teraformers planting saplings to help contain the huge pollution being generated. Also I use logistics robots to mostly replace transport belts, is that not as good in vanilla or is it just too easy? Also I do have a lot of nuke plants generating heat for steam but I made an omega drill and surrounded it with speed 8 filled beacons feeding into an infinite buffer chest and it was eating up almost a gigawat all on its own so I made the oil burning generator field to do something with an untouched oil field.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I personally found the jump from steam engines to nuclear a bit jarring. It would have been a smoother transition if there was an extra step between them. You go from making simple handcrafted steam engines and boilers to needing a tonne of assembler machines to feed other assemblers that make all the parts required for a nuclear setup, and it takes a bunch of resources.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Can someone clarify how power in the Spidertron works? I can see that there's an equipment grid that you can load fusion reactors into, but for some reason I seem to be able to draw more power than the number of available reactors. It there inherant power provision from the reactors used in constructing it so that I get an additional 1500kw on top of whatever's in the grid? Or is it something else?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Do you have batteries in the grid? Those provide power as well

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Could you post a screenshot of the equipment grid?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Help me choose colours!

I need to distinguish between four different boiler-based entities:
Vanilla boilers - unchanged
Solid-fuelled superheater: ???
Oil/gas-fired boilers - black
Oil/gas-fired superheater - ???

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Solid fuel superheater: A red/yellow theme that evokes a wood fire
Oil/gas superheater: a blue/violet theme that evokes a gas flame

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The red one, by way of example:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Qubee posted:

I personally found the jump from steam engines to nuclear a bit jarring. It would have been a smoother transition if there was an extra step between them. You go from making simple handcrafted steam engines and boilers to needing a tonne of assembler machines to feed other assemblers that make all the parts required for a nuclear setup, and it takes a bunch of resources.

Ah, so it's just me that hand-built my nuclear reactors, then.

Really should have had an interim stage, though, yeah. Then again there's a lot of "there really should have been another option here" mechanics for me.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I feel like I’m missing the joke here, but the interim step between steam boilers and nuclear power is solar energy.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

nrook posted:

I feel like I’m missing the joke here, but the interim step between steam boilers and nuclear power is solar energy.

Solar is more of a "third option" choice, though; it works fundamentally differently from the fuel-burning steam producers with no upgrade path of its own, and it exists more to give a maintenance free alternative to power. Even the achievements reinforce that as far as communicating developer intent; there's no achievement for "launch a rocket without nuclear power" or similar, and I don't believe there's one for building a certain amount of it, but they're both tracked for solar in the same way that logistics networks are. Solar vs nuclear isn't an upgrade path, it's a fork in upgrades entirely.

If that makes sense.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GotLag posted:

Help me choose colours!

I need to distinguish between four different boiler-based entities:
Vanilla boilers - unchanged
Solid-fuelled superheater: ???
Oil/gas-fired boilers - black
Oil/gas-fired superheater - ???

Can't you use the system they added recently to give them a different glow out the exhaust from different fuels? More red for vanilla fuels, blue hue for liquid fuels? Then you'd only need one base recolor for the superheater, and I think red is a fine choice for that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Solar is more of a "third option" choice, though; it works fundamentally differently from the fuel-burning steam producers with no upgrade path of its own, and it exists more to give a maintenance free alternative to power. Even the achievements reinforce that as far as communicating developer intent; there's no achievement for "launch a rocket without nuclear power" or similar, and I don't believe there's one for building a certain amount of it, but they're both tracked for solar in the same way that logistics networks are. Solar vs nuclear isn't an upgrade path, it's a fork in upgrades entirely.

If that makes sense.

I agree with the fork argument, but there is no nuclear related achievement because the achievements were finalized before nuclear was implemented.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

VictualSquid posted:

I agree with the fork argument, but there is no nuclear related achievement because the achievements were finalized before nuclear was implemented.

Ah, that explains it. I bought and played a little of the game back when the old car model was still in, then shelved it until it was "done" so I didn't burn myself out, so I missed any interim development.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dumb assembler/chemical plant question, but can I have an inserter take an input from one chemical plant and feed it into another chemical plant? Not the output, like with direct feeding, but inputs. Basically I want to have one sulfur plant feeding four explosives plants, but I don't want to use a sulfur belt. Can I have an inserter remove a sulfur from one of the explosive plants and feed it into the next? I don't mind a little downtime in the process, that's why it's 1:4 sulfur:explosives, instead of 1:8.

e: This is for designing an artillery shell line.

e2: This does not seem to work for gears/iron plates, so I assume not.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Inserters will never take the inputs out of machines, with the exception of research labs.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

From a design point of view, yeah, that is the big problem from steam to nuclear: You get inundated with new things to make, organize and produce uniquely.

The best way to solve it would be to have other systems or objects use some of the items. E.g. I have steam turbine miners which use steam turbines, so it lessens the blow.

Heat pipes and boilers would be nice if there's something, perhaps there are "nuclear energy" like thermal/lava outlets that allow you to connect heat pipes up to them before you have the nuclear power stuff.

There's the whole other slew of things to do with getting uranium ore and processing it, if there were earlier uses for uranium then that would help soften that edge.

Basically you are slamming into a huge wall of STUFF, that you have to 1) set up, 2) process, 3) make a mining station, 4) weird new liquid mining stuff, 5) a bunch new buildings with their own piping systems. There's nowhere you can really slot it into an existing setup, and on top of that you have to produce a whole bunch of unique items that are only really used for just the task of nuclear fuel.

My thought, like mentioned before is to 1) have other uses for uranium possibly BEFORE nuclear power, 2) have uses for turbines/heatpipes/boilers for some world like object to tap heat from, and 3) More uranium recipes (ammo types, fuels, health, tech, etc)

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 5, 2020

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

"Steam-boosted miners with improved mining speed" would actually be an excellent way to introduce several mechanics at once:
  • Want to run (steam/oil) across long distances? Either build a pipeline and learn about pressure loss and pumps, or build a train/barrel delivery to carry the liquid directly. Or find a way to generate it on site, and truck the (coal/oil) over instead.
  • Plan on mining uranium? Here's an earlier fluid based miner so you have a little experience trying to set it up.
  • Want to improve your productivity but don't want to expand your footprint? Use (steam boost/modules) to spend a higher up front cost in exchange for more effective machines.
I'd really support that in particular as an addition, though I like your other ideas as well.

edit:
Another possible heat pipe use would be an upgrade to keep steel furnaces useful later in the game when electric furnaces exist; let them hook into heat pipes, and add a way to generate sub-500C heat for them. Centralize your furnace system's fuel to simplify supply lines, and retain the steel furnace's improved efficiency over electric furnaces in the process. Another place where the One Obvious Solution can get an alternative and introduce new mechanics. Plus now I'm thinking about directly nuclear powered furnace farms and smiling.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 4, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Feeding furnaces off of heat pipes from a nuclear reactor sounds like a very factorio thing and now I want it.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

GotLag posted:

The red one, by way of example:

These are quite nice! I like the copper touches. It would be cool to see one where the red has more of a coppery hue.

nrook posted:

Solar isn't a midpoint for inputs& productions, IMO. It's a way to mitigate runaway pollution in power production by chewing up real estate. The inputs & outputs don't scale between coal & nukes.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, it's much cheaper to get 600Mw with steam than solar.

I say 600mw because that's about what a red belt or solid fuel will produce.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Qubee posted:

I personally found the jump from steam engines to nuclear a bit jarring. It would have been a smoother transition if there was an extra step between them. ...

Fishbus posted:

From a design point of view, yeah, that is the big problem from steam to nuclear: You get inundated with new things to make, organize and produce uniquely.

The best way to solve it would be to have other systems or objects use some of the items. E.g. I have steam turbine miners which use steam turbines, so it lessens the blow.

Heat pipes and boilers would be nice if there's something, perhaps there are "nuclear energy" like thermal/lava outlets that allow you to connect heat pipes up to them before you have the nuclear power stuff.

There's the whole other slew of things to do with getting uranium ore and processing it, if there were earlier uses for uranium then that would help soften that edge.

Basically you are slamming into a huge wall of STUFF, that you have to 1) set up, 2) process, 3) make a mining station, 4) weird new liquid mining stuff, 5) a bunch new buildings with their own piping systems. There's nowhere you can really slot it into an existing setup, and on top of that you have to produce a whole bunch of unique items that are only really used for just the task of nuclear fuel.

My thought, like mentioned before is to 1) have other uses for uranium possibly BEFORE nuclear power, 2) have uses for turbines/heatpipes/boilers for some world like object to tap heat from, and 3) More uranium recipes (ammo types, fuels, health, tech, etc)

These are all great points and I'm really enjoying reading this discussion!

M_Gargantua posted:

Feeding furnaces off of heat pipes from a nuclear reactor sounds like a very factorio thing and now I want it.

Holy poo poo.
Wow. Is such a thing possible? I am glowing with anticipation.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I finally figured out train stackers and set up a secondary copper mine, so I'm back on a roll. Overseas campaign is continuing slowly.

Teledahn posted:

Holy poo poo.
Wow. Is such a thing possible? I am glowing with anticipation.
No, just an idea/suggestion I floated. It's not in the game and I don't even know if there's a mod for it.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

SkyeAuroline posted:

No, just an idea/suggestion I floated. It's not in the game and I don't even know if there's a mod for it.

I know friend, my comment was hypothetical. Given the heat exchanger is already translating water to steam in the same manner as the standard (combustion) boiler. Presumably this means that it is (hypothetically) possible to adapt absorbing heat from heatpipes in furnace-equivalents.

Hypothetically. I've never actually looked into modding Factorio so I'm just assuming it's all easy. (It's probably not easy)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Actually that one is easy, any entity that consumes energy can be defined to use heat as its power source

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Reading about steam-boosted miners makes me hunger for an adaptation for huge mods with extended burner phases to power all or most of the burner stuff by piping steam into it. Sub-nuclear steam furnaces don't really make sense given the temperatures which are supposed to be involved but also my eyes have been replaced by large counter-rotating cogs and my ears have been replaced by vent stacks emitting thick plumes of warm water vapor from condensing steam

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Reading about steam-boosted miners makes me hunger for an adaptation for huge mods with extended burner phases to power all or most of the burner stuff by piping steam into it. Sub-nuclear steam furnaces don't really make sense given the temperatures which are supposed to be involved but also my eyes have been replaced by large counter-rotating cogs and my ears have been replaced by vent stacks emitting thick plumes of warm water vapor from condensing steam

I'm currently looking into that stuff in my mod, I already have steam drills that increase their output according to the temperature, you can initially use regular boilers at (160C) so there's a marked increase in productivity when you finally pipe in nuclear steam (500C). And for a middle ground there are geothermal vents around the map that pipe out at (300 C)

I'll be folding in that wonderful heat pipe furnace idea for a high tech furnace, although there could be something said about being able to smelt things with 500-900C temps. But eh, vidyagaem

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Superheating released!

Those demonstration setups in the screenshots each produce as much power as 12 vanilla boilers feeding 24 steam engines, but do it in a much smaller area for only 2/3 the fuel, and using 1/3 the water.
The reduced water requirements especially should make it more practical to do things like power an oil field directly from its own crude product, with water supplied by train.

The mod only sets fuel values for the various oil products if another mod hasn't already done it first, and changes no vanilla entities, so it is about as compatible as it's possible to be.
I chose these values based on reversing the solid fuel recipe, so the only difference between using solid fuel and liquid is that liquid saves on the time and cost of converting to solid.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

LonsomeSon posted:

Industrial Revolution has (used to have? I don't know if it's still available) this and some other mods have steam assembler phases. I honestly don't like them; they're too annoyingly different from what you know the rest of the game is like so I feel like I'm setting up a huge amount of extra infrastructure for nothing.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I finally figured out train stackers and set up a secondary copper mine, so I'm back on a roll. Overseas campaign is continuing slowly.

Yeah, as mentioned, it's feasible as a heat-pipe is in input option for power:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fishbus posted:

Yeah, as mentioned, it's feasible as a heat-pipe is in input option for power:

Nice. What're you looking at for performance values vs steel & electric?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nice. What're you looking at for performance values vs steel & electric?

No idea, my basic thoughts are:

5x (or more) crafting speed
Has to run at 800C or more to work
No modules
Weird 2x5 footprint

I want to look into the energy requirements and if there's scaling of speed to power ratio, this can usually happen with some things, but not all things. So there's def some trial and error

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

GotLag posted:

Superheating released!

Those demonstration setups in the screenshots each produce as much power as 12 vanilla boilers feeding 24 steam engines, but do it in a much smaller area for only 2/3 the fuel, and using 1/3 the water.
The reduced water requirements especially should make it more practical to do things like power an oil field directly from its own crude product, with water supplied by train.

The mod only sets fuel values for the various oil products if another mod hasn't already done it first, and changes no vanilla entities, so it is about as compatible as it's possible to be.
I chose these values based on reversing the solid fuel recipe, so the only difference between using solid fuel and liquid is that liquid saves on the time and cost of converting to solid.

You know I don't play as much Factorio anymore since a lot of other games are taking my attention, but I want you to know that your mods are amazing and incredibly appreciated. :3:

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

GotLag posted:

Superheating released!

I feel like side inserters may come in handy here.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there a way to check to see if I turned biters off? I'm playing a MP game and haven't seen biters in ~20 hours which is pretty suspicious, but I don't remember turning peaceful mode on.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

On the load game screen, there should be a button to copy the map exchange string. Paste that into a new game to see the settings your map uses

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't know much about multiplayer, but if you are able to enter console commands then the following should tell you something:
code:
/c game.print(game.player.surface.peaceful_mode)
/c game.print(game.default_map_gen_settings.autoplace_controls["enemy-base"].size)
If the first one prints "true" and/or the second prints "0" then you won't have biters

Edit:

Tamba posted:

On the load game screen, there should be a button to copy the map exchange string. Paste that into a new game to see the settings your map uses

Or this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thank you. It says peaceful mode is false, but I just set up my first micro-refinery to make cliff explosives and the radars still haven't spotted any biters. Or a resource node outside my starting area. Huh. I did max out the starting area since I'm playing with people new to the game. I wonder just how large that is on RSO.

Edit: Zoomed all the way out and spotted my first resource patches and biters. The starting area is huge. Like a minute or two by train huge. Wow.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 7, 2020