Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

webmeister posted:

All four of them end up, at some point, in a situation where they're fully expecting to die: Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom, Pippin at the Black Gate, Merry in the charge of the Rohirrim. I'd agree that Frodo's psychological torture was probably the worst of it, but it's kinda splitting hairs to start ranking them

Splendid! Let's begin at once. Where would you place Merry on the Mouth-of-Sauron - Faramir Broodingness Scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Well, the name alone takes him down a peg.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

skasion posted:

Time existed but there was nobody who gave a poo poo to count it. I think you can still figure out how long the age of the lamps lasted if you work from the Annals of Aman. It was also a long time for sure.

The Eldar back-calculated everything when they reached Valinor. The Years of the Lamps proper lasted about 14,900 solar years. This era was itself preceded by an 18,200-year long era of darkness before the Valar had settled into Almaren.

Here's a couple (e: several, I got carried away) key dates of interest, where one Valian Year equals 9.582 solar years:

VY 1: The beginning of Time. The Valar enter into Eä. Conflict with Melkor.
VY 1500: Tulkas enters into Eä and Melkor flees. Almaren established in the center of Arda
VY 1900: The Lamps are raised
VY 3400: Melkor returns to Arda and delves Utumno in the far North of the world
VY 3450: The fall of the Lamps and the flight of the Valar to Valinor
VY 3500*: Blossoming of the Two Trees
VY 4500: Varda begins work on the great stars
VY 4550: The Quendi awaken
VY 4585: Oromë discovers the Quendi
VY 4590–4600: The Battle of the Powers
VY 4600: The three ages of Melkor's imprisonment begin
VY 4605: The Great Journey to Aman by the Eldar begins
VY 4633: The Vanyar and the Ñoldor reach Aman
VY 4651: Tol Eressëa is anchored in the Bay of Eldamar
VY 4652: Thingol and Melian establish their realm
VY 4751: The Teleri come to Aman
VY 4679: Fëanor born
VY 4800: Menegroth is delved
VY 4862: Galadriel born
VY 4900: Melkor released from Mandos
VY 4950: The silmarils are created
VY 4990: Fëanor exiled from Eldamar
VY 4995: Finwë killed, the silmarils stolen, the Two Trees poisoned. Swearing of the Oath and the first Kin-slaying.
VY 4997: The First Battle: Melkor attacks the Sindar. Fëanor betrays Fingolfin and sails to Middle-earth; Dagor-nuin-Giliath. Fëanor killed and Maedhros captured.
VY 5000: Fingolfin arrives in Middle-earth. The Valar launch the Sun and Moon

*The Annals of Aman reset the calendar at the blossoming of the trees, but to keep things simple I just continued the numbering from the start of Time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Merry and Pippin go to war with everything that entails. Both horror and suffering and also a great appreciation of how you can achieve things with large groups of armed men. They get empowered by their experience and become noble leaders, the friendships they make and the deeds they do serve them well for the rest of their lives. One could say they become infatuated by violence though the book doesn’t push this too far. Frodo doesn’t go to war and he doesn’t win. He goes off walking into torment alone (“with only his servant” as the Silmarillion has it) and takes very little positive away from what was achieved through him, except the consolation prize of knowing that it could have been way, way worse. Frodo gets attenuated by his experience, and retreats from the world instead of becoming a leader or hero. He says that the world was saved, but not for him. He comes to find violence abhorrent, refusing even to kill Saruman. He also retreats from society, eventually from Middle-earth itself. The other hobbits get to have a nice adventure story ending, Frodo gets existential disaster and transcends into the spiritual realm leaving his nice adventure story ending to the gardener.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Falathrim posted:

but to keep things simple I just continued the numbering from the start of Time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New thread title material there.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Tree Bucket posted:

He really is a wreck by the end; the Ring does that to people.

Bilbo had it far longer (iirc, to the point where he felt he was beginning to fade), and used it often. Bilbo was able to hand it over (slightly grudgingly), but immediately felt better.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 4, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Fredonia also got physically wounded and poisoned, both, in ways the others didn't.

Edit: wtf autocorrect

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 4, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fredonia also got physically wounded and poisoned, both, in ways the others didnt.

This is true.

Would have been easier, had Sam not overheard the orcs talking about finding Frodo alive.
CHANGE MY MIND

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Falathrim posted:

The Eldar back-calculated everything when they reached Valinor. The Years of the Lamps proper lasted about 14,900 solar years. This era was itself preceded by an 18,200-year long era of darkness before the Valar had settled into Almaren.

Here's a couple (e: several, I got carried away) key dates of interest, where one Valian Year equals 9.582 solar years:

VY 1: The beginning of Time. The Valar enter into Eä. Conflict with Melkor.
VY 1500: Tulkas enters into Eä and Melkor flees. Almaren established in the center of Arda
VY 1900: The Lamps are raised
VY 3400: Melkor returns to Arda and delves Utumno in the far North of the world
VY 3450: The fall of the Lamps and the flight of the Valar to Valinor
VY 3500*: Blossoming of the Two Trees
VY 4500: Varda begins work on the great stars
VY 4550: The Quendi awaken
VY 4585: Oromë discovers the Quendi
VY 4590–4600: The Battle of the Powers
VY 4600: The three ages of Melkor's imprisonment begin
VY 4605: The Great Journey to Aman by the Eldar begins
VY 4633: The Vanyar and the Ñoldor reach Aman
VY 4651: Tol Eressëa is anchored in the Bay of Eldamar
VY 4652: Thingol and Melian establish their realm
VY 4751: The Teleri come to Aman
VY 4679: Fëanor born
VY 4800: Menegroth is delved
VY 4862: Galadriel born
VY 4900: Melkor released from Mandos
VY 4950: The silmarils are created
VY 4990: Fëanor exiled from Eldamar
VY 4995: Finwë killed, the silmarils stolen, the Two Trees poisoned. Swearing of the Oath and the first Kin-slaying.
VY 4997: The First Battle: Melkor attacks the Sindar. Fëanor betrays Fingolfin and sails to Middle-earth; Dagor-nuin-Giliath. Fëanor killed and Maedhros captured.
VY 5000: Fingolfin arrives in Middle-earth. The Valar launch the Sun and Moon

*The Annals of Aman reset the calendar at the blossoming of the trees, but to keep things simple I just continued the numbering from the start of Time.

This is silly tho. “Solar year” is meaningless without a sun and an earth going round it. There isn’t even other stars until the end of that time . As I said time is silly before the sun other than it “was a long time” . But even then that’s wierd.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Obviously the Elves define a second as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom at a temperature of 0 K and just calculated back from there

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hasselblad posted:

Bilbo had it far longer (iirc, to the point where he felt he was beginning to fade), and used it often. Bilbo was able to hand it over (slightly grudgingly), but immediately felt better.

Bilbo never tried to claim mastery of the Ring though. He tried to claim ownership of it, but that is an altogether different thing than trying to force the Ring to do your will.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

New thread title material there.

Second the motion.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

euphronius posted:

This is silly tho. “Solar year” is meaningless without a sun and an earth going round it. There isn’t even other stars until the end of that time . As I said time is silly before the sun other than it “was a long time” . But even then that’s wierd.

What? In real life, we say the universe began 13 billion Earth years ago, and the fact that the Sun and Earth didn't exist for 9 billion of those years doesn't stop "Earth year" from being a well-defined period of time that we can use as a unit of time measurement. In Tolkein's world, there's nothing to suggest that time progressed any differently before and after the Sun existed, either. That they reckoned time differently, based on different phenomena, doesn't meant that we can't convert from one measurement to another, just as we may convert between American feet and rest-of-the-world meters.

Can't vouch for Falathrim's math, though. I noticed that using their numbers, 14900+18200 solar years does not equal 9.582 solar years per Valian year * 5000 Valian years. I'm not a Silmarillion/Tolkien expert, but looking at Tolkien Gateway it seems they missed out on 15,300 solar years between the creation of the Lamps and the growing of the Two Trees (i.e. the 18200 number is pre-Lamps, 15300 post-Lamps pre-Trees, and 14900 post-Trees).

But the 9.582 solar-years-to-Valian-years ratio seems to be based on the conversion of 1 Valian hour = 7 hours, which doesn't seem like a very precise number. Assuming that could be anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 and rounded to 7, that means that the ratio of Valian year-of-the-trees to solar year could be anywhere from 8.898 to 10.266.

Also, there's another huge flaw in this system, both on the Tolkien Gateway and in Falathrim's post. There seems to be an assumption that the "Valian year" before the Trees is the same as after, which seems suspect, considering that the structure of the Valian year and the 9.582 ratio is based on how time was reckoned based on the blooming of the Trees. So they must have been reckoning time differently before the Trees, and presumably had a different arbitrary length of year. So we cannot conclude that the first 3,500 Valian years actually followed the 9.582 ratio. And the fact that they restarted their calendar numbering seems to lend credence to the idea that they were redefining the concept of a "year." Because of this, Falathrim's "I just continued the numbering from the start of Time" is a bad idea.

So in conclusion, we don't have enough information to know for sure how long the first 3,500 Valian years were (1,900 before the Lamps and 1,600 after), and the 1,500 "years of the trees" correspond to around 13,300 to 15,400 solar years. Assuming that the length of year was at least similar before and after getting redefined based on the blooming of the Trees, the first 3,500 Valian years were about 34,000 solar years, but we don't really know how big of an error bar to put on that measurement, or whether that's a good assumption in the first place.

But that's just how I see it, as someone knowledgeable in systems of measurement but a relative novice of Tolkien, who doesn't have the Silmarillion and Morgoth's Ring in front of me to check the citations on Tolkien Gateway. I'm curious if any of my assumptions about/interpretations of the text are incorrect.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

Bilbo never tried to claim mastery of the Ring though. He tried to claim ownership of it, but that is an altogether different thing than trying to force the Ring to do your will.

You could make a good argument that he used the Ring to bend Gollum to his will. Likewise, he used it to reach out his mind while on Amon Hen, though how much was the Ring and how much the Place is certainly debatable.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

You could make a good argument that he used the Ring to bend Gollum to his will. Likewise, he used it to reach out his mind while on Amon Hen, though how much was the Ring and how much the Place is certainly debatable.

He was also wearing it when he was stabbed by the Nazgul, IIRC.
(not that he was trying to control it at the moment, just an observation)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 4, 2020

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ynglaur posted:

Bilbo, I said Bilbo! Frodo absolutely claimed mastery over the Ring at Mt. Doom, and I brought up that Bilbo didn't to show why he wasn't really affected as badly mentally as Frodo was.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you look in Appendix B, Frodo is repeatedly "taken ill" on the anniversaries of his stabbing at Weathertop (October 6) and his poisoning by Shelob (March 13th), but not the anniversary of the destruction of the Ring.

The Ring's power was broken; it was his other wounds that did not heal.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mahoning posted:

I checked last night and iTunes has it available in 4K/DolbyVision/Atmos

I was checking on my AppleTV and it didn't say 4k for the Extended Editions, but when I look on my Mac it does say 4k/Dolby Vision/Atmos for both regular and extended.

(I ordered the UHD Blu-Rays anyway, but haven't had a chance to see what they look like yet)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

Bilbo, I said Bilbo! Frodo absolutely claimed mastery over the Ring at Mt. Doom, and I brought up that Bilbo didn't to show why he wasn't really affected as badly mentally as Frodo was.

Ah, you're right.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you look in Appendix B, Frodo is repeatedly "taken ill" on the anniversaries of his stabbing at Weathertop (October 6) and his poisoning by Shelob (March 13th), but not the anniversary of the destruction of the Ring.

The Ring's power was broken; it was his other wounds that did not heal.

I think that the fact that the loss of his finger does not traumatize him indicates that Frodo's problem is spiritual rather than physical or mental. In fact I think the reason it doesn't cause him pain later is because he loses the finger after he claims the ring. The damage to his soul was done at the moment he claimed it, and it froze him in place in a way, much like how Galadriel became a living memory or Morgoth became unable to heal himself.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sweet geek swag posted:

I think that the fact that the loss of his finger does not traumatize him indicates that Frodo's problem is spiritual rather than physical or mental. In fact I think the reason it doesn't cause him pain later is because he loses the finger after he claims the ring. The damage to his soul was done at the moment he claimed it, and it froze him in place in a way, much like how Galadriel became a living memory or Morgoth became unable to heal himself.

Hmm. I never thought of it that way. Makes sense.
Frodo lost a finger when he lost the ring- I can't remember, was Sauron's loss of finger-and-ring a movie invention?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Frodo lost a finger when he lost the ring- I can't remember, was Sauron's loss of finger-and-ring a movie invention?

The thread talked about it recently actually, Gil-Galad and Elendil defeat Sauron, but die. Isildur claims the Ring from Sauron's body/remains.

skasion posted:

Isildur did not defeat Sauron in the book. Elendil and Gil-galad did the fighting, everyone involved died or was mortally injured. Then Isildur robbed Sauron’s corpse, or at the very most chopped a finger off a fallen enemy who could not resist him.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The exact phrase is that Isildur "cut the ring from the Enemy's hand" though, iirc?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Tree Bucket posted:

Gollum refers to how Sauron only has four fingers on his Black Hand. So yeah, Isildur chopped off Sauron's finger.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kemper Boyd posted:

Gollum refers to how Sauron only has four fingers on his Black Hand. So yeah, Isildur chopped off Sauron's finger.

I like how losing rid of one's Ring finger is generally easier than losing the Ring...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tree Bucket posted:

I like how losing rid of one's Ring finger is generally easier than losing the Ring...
I dunno, "losing the Ring" vs. "lost fingat" is 2 for 2.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
At Imladris, lost fingat, write Red Book later

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

At Dol Guldur, lost fingat, raze Gondor later

ed: raze. Raze is better.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 5, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sweet geek swag posted:

bilbo had a different ring

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Can't vouch for Falathrim's math, though. I noticed that using their numbers, 14900+18200 solar years does not equal 9.582 solar years per Valian year * 5000 Valian years. I'm not a Silmarillion/Tolkien expert, but looking at Tolkien Gateway it seems they missed out on 15,300 solar years between the creation of the Lamps and the growing of the Two Trees (i.e. the 18200 number is pre-Lamps, 15300 post-Lamps pre-Trees, and 14900 post-Trees).

The Years of the Lamps spanned VY 1900–3450, a period of 1550 Valian years. 1550 × 9.582 = 14,852.1 solar years. I rounded that up.

I never provided a number for the full span of time prior to the Sun and the Moon, since that question hadn't been asked. That, of course, would be a span of roughly (5000 × 9.582 ≈) 47,901 solar years. This number, 47,901, is explicitly stated in the text.

DontMockMySmock posted:

But the 9.582 solar-years-to-Valian-years ratio seems to be based on the conversion of 1 Valian hour = 7 hours, which doesn't seem like a very precise number. Assuming that could be anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 and rounded to 7, that means that the ratio of Valian year-of-the-trees to solar year could be anywhere from 8.898 to 10.266.

The conversion is laid out in The Annals of Aman. Tolkien never throws the precise value of 9.582 into the text, but you can work through the math with him to arrive at this number. Using a conversion factor of 9.582 also allows you to arrive at the 47,901 solar years cited by Tolkien, within an appropriate margin of error. Tolkien also provides an in--universe number for why this number seems so weird: the Valar had intended ten solar years to equal exactly one Valian year, but the Sun and Moon flew across the skies more quickly than by their designs.

[EDIT: I've just recalled that while Tolkien himself never explicitly states the conversion factor of 9.582, Christopher does in his commentaries:

Morgoth's Ring, pg. 59 posted:

(ii) Relation of the reckoning by the Trees to the reckoning by the Sun
1 hour of the Trees = 7 hours of our time
1 day of the Trees = (7 × 12) 84 hours of our time
1 year of the Trees = (7 × 12000 ) 84000 hours of our time
There are (365.25 × 24 ) 8766 hours in a Sun Year, and thus:
1 year of the Tress = (84000 ÷ 8766) 9.582 Sun Years
]

DontMockMySmock posted:

Also, there's another huge flaw in this system, both on the Tolkien Gateway and in Falathrim's post. There seems to be an assumption that the "Valian year" before the Trees is the same as after, which seems suspect, considering that the structure of the Valian year and the 9.582 ratio is based on how time was reckoned based on the blooming of the Trees. So they must have been reckoning time differently before the Trees, and presumably had a different arbitrary length of year. So we cannot conclude that the first 3,500 Valian years actually followed the 9.582 ratio. And the fact that they restarted their calendar numbering seems to lend credence to the idea that they were redefining the concept of a "year." Because of this, Falathrim's "I just continued the numbering from the start of Time" is a bad idea.

While we've already arrived at this point, Tolkien is quite explicit in that the The Annals that all these dates use the same Valian year. The Valar didn't reckon Time at all until the Trees blossomed. The Eldar called the pre-Trees era the "Days before days" and back-calculated those dates after their arrival to Valinor. Per their calculations, there were exactly 5000 Valian years, of equal length, prior to the raising of the Moon, and this can be converted to 47,901 solar years.

Falathrim fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 5, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"raising of the Moon" is just an excellent phrase. Really wonderful.

Gats Akimbo posted:

At Dol Guldur, lost fingat, raze Gondor later

ed: raze. Raze is better.

At Fangorn, Lost Wife, Ent Moot Later

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Raising of the cellar door

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tree Bucket posted:

"raising of the Moon" is just an excellent phrase. Really wonderful.

At Fangorn, Lost Wife, Ent Moot Later

in cave. lost precious. thief thief thief baggins! hate you forever!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Kindle edition of the Silmarillion is $2.99 today.

I had been waiting a while cause my physical copy is multiple states away and someday I have to get more than ten pages in.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Kid-friendly, you say?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kilson posted:

Kid-friendly, you say?

Years ago, my little sister read about two paragraphs of the Sil and asked "why does he keep saying 'for' instead of 'because'"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kilson posted:

Kid-friendly, you say?

yes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Years ago, my little sister read about two paragraphs of the Sil and asked "why does he keep saying 'for' instead of 'because'"

because is one of the longest common words in english, "for" is far more efficient and sounds cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Like, as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate LOTR more. But I still retain my youthful love for just how much more action-packed The Sil is.

That was what drew me to it at first. I was big into nerd fights at the time, what fictional character could beat which other fictional character? And you learn very quickly even the mighty Witch-King is a chump compared to the powers in the First and Second Age. Fingolfin vs. Morgoth? Eat your heart out Gandalf vs. Balrog.

So I can see calling The Sil kid friendly. Big booms and fights galore.