Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
if you use Diona's E on enemies that are immune to cryo, sac bow won't go off, just fyi. Should be the same for all sac weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

:eyepop:

berenzen posted:

The issue is that crystallize shields are actually really good vs. slimes because they have enormous amounts of RES against that element. Zhongli's shield is a straight geo shield, and so doesn't actually have additional RES vs. elements. Additionally, damage is dealt to all shields simultaneously instead of one at a time, which devalues stacking multiple types of shields as well. And crystallize shields are going to be weak compared to a Diona shield on floor 12, because Diona's shield is strong against all the cryo damage that exists on floor 12.

If shields stacked so one was damaged before the next one was, or the damage was split across the different shields, Zhongli's usefulness might be a different story, because you could run a turbo shield stack. As it is though, there are better shield providers that also provide more utility or survivability.

Cryo crystallize should be about as good as Diona's then, right? Against Cryo slimes, you'll be making them constantly, and since you need Cryo on your team to deal with Fatui shields, you can make them manually too. Too bad we don't know the exact numbers of how much more effective they are vs the same element. Mihoyo plz

As for shields not stacking, sure you'll waste a lot of shields, but Zhongli should be able to generate more than enough crystals without even being on the field. This is something unique to him at the moment.

Again, the actual numbers on crystallize could be really bad, but there isn't enough information available to truly judge it.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've been running Chong/Xingqiu/Diona/Sucrose for the Cryo Resonance bonus but I'm not sure it's really worth it without much crit on my gear to supplement it compared to throwing in Xiangling or Bennett for Melt shenanigans. Perhaps Chong/Xingqiu/Bennett/Sucrose would be more ideal.

Crit seems to be Cryo's thing. You'll definitely want a CRIT DMG hat rather than rate.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

gandlethorpe posted:

:eyepop:

Cryo crystallize should be about as good as Diona's then, right? Against Cryo slimes, you'll be making them constantly, and since you need Cryo on your team to deal with Fatui shields, you can make them manually too. Too bad we don't know the exact numbers of how much more effective they are vs the same element. Mihoyo plz

As for shields not stacking, sure you'll waste a lot of shields, but Zhongli should be able to generate more than enough crystals without even being on the field. This is something unique to him at the moment.

Again, the actual numbers on crystallize could be really bad, but there isn't enough information available to truly judge it.

shields should be 250% effective against their own element, IIRC

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The new Zhongli character quest is neat for multiple reasons, but one of them is that it opens an area in Sal Terrae that has a bunch of violetgrass. Some people were posting earlier about farming it being a pain, hopefully this makes that easier!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
there's a ton of ascend mats down there actually, which is nice

but zhongli's quest is super depressing

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Hazdoc posted:

there's a ton of ascend mats down there actually, which is nice

but zhongli's quest is super depressing

Yeah it was really good. I thought for sure That it was gonna be Morax killing the salt god for breaking a contract with her people but it was even more depressing than that.

Ok another note I really love Zhongli's voice acting in quests but his combat barks sound much angrier and I don't care for them.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man I really just need to spend like a week farming artifacts so I can get everyone up to speed. I have mostly good artifacts on my carries but some of the rest of my characters are still using 3* poo poo I threw on like 400 hours ago. It's probably the big thing holding me back from breaking through Abyss 7, which I've cleared but didn't get enough stars on to unlock 8.

It's nice that the gliding event is resinless so nothing is competing for this farm right now.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Has anyone heard from the test servers whether Albedo, Ganyu, or Xiao are supposed to be particularly powerful?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Doesn't matter since Zhong was also powerful before his numbers changed from the beta.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
Am I a crazy person for doing two mob routes and 4 leylines a day?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

malbogio posted:

Has anyone heard from the test servers whether Albedo, Ganyu, or Xiao are supposed to be particularly powerful?

Never trust the beta servers till they are like 3 days away from release

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Also, on the topic of shields. There's a stat called "Powerful Shields" that is severely underutilized. I think only Retracing Bolide grants it currently, and possibly Zhongli's ascension 1 passive. I imagine they want to expand more on shields in the future if they bothered to create a special stat. In fact, I'm absolutely sure of it because 3 out of the last 4 characters are shield users.

If people come around on Zhongli without him having to get a substantial buff, I predict it will be due to his shieldgranting ability. Stick Bolide on the main carry and they can go ham. Maybe even put some EM on Zhongli for stronger crystallize.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

was feeling prettty good about my stockpile but some of you hoarders make me look like a little baby. also apparently i should be farming slimes more, i dont have much of that poo poo but i have like 3 characters that use it, ugh. mostly focus on fatui + treasurer hunters + abyss mages when i care to farm, up to 32 purple abyss dealies (that will vanish once i hit ar50)

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

malbogio posted:

While numbers are subject to change, the leaked Xiao footage from beta makes him look really fun to use. His ult is him going super saiyan kinda like the anemo version of Razor. Unlike Zhong Li, Xiao clearly looks like a main carry, but no one really knows how an anemo carry will perform in practice. If you care about numbers, expectations should be tempered.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My very specific want is a not-loli main DPS cyro 1 hand sword waifu. Also a hydro great sword of some kind. Think that one shark ninja from naruto

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My very specific want is a not-loli main DPS cyro 1 hand sword waifu.
There was one in the second closed beta. We're expecting her in, uh... four months.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah, Ayaka should come around sometime with Inazuma. She's basically Ice Keqing with Mona Sprint.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah, Ayaka should come around sometime with Inazuma. She's basically Ice Keqing with Mona Sprint.

She also has Vergil's autoattack animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgQ1e0zdoQA

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

on the one hand, her hair ribbon looks so stupid to me and 100% she has been/will be changed since CBTwhatever

on the other, wow her skirt is really cool and flowy and Inazuma will definitely bring some nasty katanas that look great on her

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is the first gacha game where I've wanted to roll on someone almost constantly.

I wanted Zhongli, I want Ganyu, I want Baizhu, I want Ayaka...

I am very impressed by their character design skills and I hope they are at least one banner apart so I may save.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ashenai posted:

As a Zhongli user who loves Zhongli, I definitely wouldn't recommend Zhongli to anyone. I love him because of his style and animations and voice and story stuff, so I'm making him work as best I can, but Geo sucks and he's just not powerful enough to overcome that.

Um actually the meta slaves are wrong and a week from now everyone will know he's the best because

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Ultiville posted:

I love the Jade Curtain so much, it probably isn't good in actually difficult fights (and it's annoying that it just doesn't show up against the Oceanid), but every time I use it to cut off some ranged contingent while I take out their friends I just really enjoy my life.

mines are critting for like 7-8k now that I've got some decent artifacts, so i just drop it like a rock. then i macross swarm 12 more. ningguang rocks

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

mines are critting for like 7-8k now that I've got some decent artifacts, so i just drop it like a rock. then i macross swarm 12 more. ningguang rocks

Yes. Itano-circusing people is the entire reason I play Ning.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Does the gliding challenge have to be done every day or can I skip a day and catch up tomorrow?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tsyni posted:

The other thing that sticks out to me is to do these really effective frame cancel chains you'd have to have a shield on to do them 100% of the time because otherwise you're dodging much more.
This is something that galls me about DPS calculation people in this game. Do they even play it? Like yeah, technically doing a full attack chain between each tap of Diluc's skill is the highest DPS, but try doing that in practice and you will find that it works maybe 5% of the time at best. Things move, or you have to, or you knock things too far away with his giant loving claymore because it does that, and you have to adapt. Keqing/Childe charged attack spam is similarly impractical a lot of the time, it just can't happen. You have to adapt and improvise, you can only dump perfect damage on a flower or Dvalin or something that can't move and can't be pushed around.

malbogio posted:

Albedo is either going to be amazing or lame. He has potential as a tanky Geo Support who might actually be able to generate energy and could maybe be a DPS (at least at C2), but a lot is going to depend on the flow of his abilities and how some of them actually function and interact with his cooldowns. I don't think he should be underestimated but I would 100% wait for people to run tests on him before I'd even consider rolling for him. Unless Bennett's on his banner, then I guess all bets are off.

Ganyu is jokingly called "Ice Amber but good." She seems designed around powerful Charged Shots, but her Skill and Burst also seem to have decent duration and apply AoE Cryo, so if they do so frequently enough she could end up being really good. That said she will most likely be about shooting so she's going to be significantly worse on PS4 and mobile. This could result in her being overtuned and thus godlike on PC, but who knows.

Xiao was, when he came out in CBT, absolutely far and away the most broken DPS carry in the game. He was absurdly powerful and if he isn't nerfed in some capacity before coming out again he will be powercreep in its purest form. However, he probably will be, because the mechanics of the game were a bit different when he was in testing (he was the only character who could Plunge Attack at the time, for example), and it seems some of his stuff has been changed in datamines. He may still end up amazing if his numbers don't change significantly, as he's a fast-attacking polearm user with much higher multipliers than Xiangling and a Burst that significantly boosts his Normal Attacks (so, Crescent Pike). He's also got a mobility focus with jumping and airdashing (though, again, this may change), and is Anemo so very few things are immune to his skill damage and he gets Swirls easily. You definitely don't want to run him as a Viridescent Venerer support though, he's a pure murder machine. I expect him to see the most changes but it's unlikely they'll change his core role.

EDIT: To be clear, if Xiao worked like he used to, you could Venti Burst every enemy into a clump, weave in another element for bonus damage, and then Plunge Attack over and over with Xiao's Burst active and Swirl a hundred billion zillion times while doing shitloads of attack damage as well. And they'd feed each other energy at a high rate. It would be a ludicrous combination on anything that isn't too heavy to lift and require basically no skill to execute.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Ayaka as she was originally looked really disappointing, honestly. Her moves seemed rather clunky. I expect that will change though.

One thing to note is that Mona Sprint is incredibly bad on a melee character, as cute as it may seem to be able to ice dash around. Mona Sprint handles like a boat and traps the character in a recovery animation when emerging, and in my experience you cannot dash out of a knockback with it and have to just eat it (which is not a big deal on Mona, because she's at range, but Ayaka won't have that luxury). The one upside is that Mona Sprint lacks the iframe sprint internal cooldown and can be spammed, but the recovery animation means you're still vulnerable a lot.

If Ayaka's numbers are not super duper good, the Mona Sprint will actually be the thing that kills her as a character unless you never get knocked back, because that will be annoying as gently caress to attempt to recover from and to use in close combat.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 5, 2020

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Jinnigan posted:

Oh yeah the damage is nice too I’m just a sucker for battlefield constructs, I played Asheron’s Call 2 for a while because the tactician was such a cool idea (well and because I loved AC1) and that game was very bad.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JSZocfWRVc

just3c has a pretty nuanced take on Zhongli. He has his niches but no particular mechanical reason to roll for him at the moment.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JSZocfWRVc

just3c has a pretty nuanced take on Zhongli. He has his niches but no particular mechanical reason to roll for him at the moment.

I still rolled him and have no regrets because I really like the character, but yeah, I can’t imagine I’m going to fight with him much. Though I expect I’ll be happy to have him spit out his mobile tower every so often and maybe the geo construct resonance thing will be enough fun with the curtain that I’ll do that sometimes. Hard to tell yet as I’ve not leveled him much so haven’t experimented with what it actually does.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I used him last night to clear all the elites on the map with a team of Klee, Xingqiu, and Jean. Basically I would start with him and he'd drop his pillar, or generate his shield if I was facing anything with a stone shield to weaken it, and then drop his ult, then Xingqiu E-Q-E (with sac word), then Klee bomb blitz. I'm generating a lot of energy so if the battles ever lasted past the first salvo I'd be hitting Zhong's ult again pretty quick. This was with a level 0 petra set, but level 80 Skyward Spine. His ult is talent level 7 and I think he was getting around 10-12k ults at that point. I am going to just optimize him for ult spam and go 2 petra/2 nobless I think. I don't know if setting something on fire with Klee, then dropping his E and waiting for the crystal is optimal to get the 35% damage boost for four petra because I feel like I want to get to Xingqiu to hit his skill/ult and at that point I am wasting half the time for the buff. In some comps it might work great though. I guess I could buff the water damage instead...hmm. Anyway, petrify is nice for positioning purposes at the very least. Normally I'd have either Sucrose or Fischl in his spot, and I think for a lot of situations he does fine.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Welp, Xinyan C6. Mihoyo plz

I guess it's more incentive to farm up a Bolide set.

Nakar posted:

This is something that galls me about DPS calculation people in this game. Do they even play it? Like yeah, technically doing a full attack chain between each tap of Diluc's skill is the highest DPS, but try doing that in practice and you will find that it works maybe 5% of the time at best. Things move, or you have to, or you knock things too far away with his giant loving claymore because it does that, and you have to adapt. Keqing/Childe charged attack spam is similarly impractical a lot of the time, it just can't happen. You have to adapt and improvise, you can only dump perfect damage on a flower or Dvalin or something that can't move and can't be pushed around.

Yeah, I don't put too much credence in how things like perfect animation canceling factor into DPS. Or frame data, like it's not a drat fighting game. Like I'll still do it on the ones with horrible backswings because I don't like being stuck in a spot. But I won't consider it a make or break thing if someone's animations aren't as good as another's. There are plenty of other ways they can make up for one thing they're technically worse in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Razor's combo is the only thing slow enough that i've felt i need to cancel regularly to avoid recovery animations. though it seem like every GS that isn't Diluc has that issue somewhere in their combo (Beidou especially).

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Canceling out of the recovery of Klee's charge attack turns her from a sitting duck to a high mobility explosion machine. And learning to spam Klee's first attack on the Electrostasis boss turns her from 'never finishing it off before it recovers' and 'low damage on it's vunerable phases' to completely trivializing the fight. Not that Electostasis is the hardest fight, but it's still a big difference.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Nakar posted:

The other problem is the amazing combos that use 3-4 characters elemental skills and bursts all at once to do massive damage. In no way shape or form is there any fight where that is meaningful and dumping every skill you have to do massive DPS just means you're gimped for the next couple of minutes. It's like great, you can kill the two big hillichurls in the fire artifact domain if they're standing next to each other in 2 seconds flat. Now what are you going to do about the two skirmishers? Or even in the boss fights, can that one shot the wolf? If not then what matters is your ability to survive until you can do it again, not that you can actually do it. Or with Childe, congrats you've got a phase 3 skip but you're so targetted to that can you actually make it to phase 3 in the first place?

If someone really wants to convince me they have a killer build, they'd show off completing the Geo artifact domain in record times.

Edit:

Trihugger posted:

Canceling out of the recovery of Klee's charge attack turns her from a sitting duck to a high mobility explosion machine. And learning to spam Klee's first attack on the Electrostasis boss turns her from 'never finishing it off before it recovers' and 'low damage on it's vunerable phases' to completely trivializing the fight. Not that Electostasis is the hardest fight, but it's still a big difference.

If an auto-attacking Klee on the Electro cube fight can feel like "low damage on it's vulnerable phases", then I commend you on your animation cancelling skills that they make up for it but the problem in that equation isn't that Klee's damage isn't great without it. Any reasonable configuration for her will trivialize the Electro cube even just auto attacking it without any cancelling pretty quickly.

nessin fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 5, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nessin posted:

The other problem is the amazing combos that use 3-4 characters elemental skills and bursts all at once to do massive damage. In no way shape or form is there any fight where that is meaningful and dumping every skill you have to do massive DPS just means you're gimped for the next couple of minutes. It's like great, you can kill the two big hillichurls in the fire artifact domain if they're standing next to each other in 2 seconds flat. Now what are you going to do about the two skirmishers? Or even in the boss fights, can that one shot the wolf? If not then what matters is your ability to survive until you can do it again, not that you can actually do it. Or with Childe, congrats you've got a phase 3 skip but you're so targetted to that can you actually make it to phase 3 in the first place?

If someone really wants to convince me they have a killer build, they'd show off completing the Geo artifact domain in record times.

I think you are underestimating how quickly burst spammers can get their energy back.

For example, Venti can reliably burst on cooldown (and gives a bunch of extra energy to every other character on the team as well).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The whole point of skills and bursts is to, you know, use them so fights go faster. Often in conjunction with other skills and bursts because that’s how the drat combat system works. If you’re taking more than a couple minutes to get a volley of bursts back something is going wrong.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

nessin posted:

If an auto-attacking Klee on the Electro cube fight can feel like "low damage on it's vulnerable phases", then I commend you on your animation cancelling skills that they make up for it but the problem in that equation isn't that Klee's damage isn't great without it. Any reasonable configuration for her will trivialize the Electro cube even just auto attacking it without any cancelling pretty quickly.

You're right, most of the damage comes from elemental reactions and canceling Klee's first attack doesn't add a ton more damage with the small vunerability windows. She still can't finish off the last cubes before the boss recovers without her first attack spam. But that is just a matter of attack speed, since the only thing that matters is number of heavy attacks. And faster attacks don't necessarily mean higher dps depending on percentage modifiers. It just happens to be both faster and more damage for Klee, but there aren't a lot of situations where the difference truly matters.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 5, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Nakar posted:

Keqing is a ton of fun but I stopped using her as a main dps for this reason. Her damage is pretty lackluster when you aren't spamming charged attacks, which you really can't do in many situations and it drains your stamina to poo poo. Switched over to Ningguang and she's pretty much the exact opposite, able to do her thing with impunity. The only thing that throws her off is small enclosed spaces, but how often are you fighting inside caves in this game?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

dogsicle posted:

Razor's combo is the only thing slow enough that i've felt i need to cancel regularly to avoid recovery animations. though it seem like every GS that isn't Diluc has that issue somewhere in their combo (Beidou especially).

Diluc has it on the last hit of his combo. If you don't cancel it with a dash or skill, he just sits there for a full second doing nothing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sweet Flowers are the one food ingredient that I thought I was getting too many of but later realized I actually need pretty badly because so many foods use sugar.

gandlethorpe posted:

If people come around on Zhongli without him having to get a substantial buff, I predict it will be due to his shieldgranting ability. Stick Bolide on the main carry and they can go ham. Maybe even put some EM on Zhongli for stronger crystallize.

Yeah he seems good to me simply due to the shields, which are very useful against stronger enemies. I don't think he's supposed to be any sort of carry with high DPS. He has enabled me to deal with a lot of the level 90 domains that were giving me trouble. I'd go as far as saying that it might be possible to substitute him in place of a healer. He's basically a support that provides powerful shields and a low cooldown crowd control Burst (that also does decent damage).

Also, Zhongli seems to have bizarrely huge synergy with Geo MC, to the point where Geo MC kinda seems flat-out necessary for Zhongli to do good DPS, if you want to go that route.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

nessin posted:

Is 1:34 fast enough?

Might as well practice this one, since I'm probably gonna be doing it a lot.