Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alhazred posted:

I find it annoying that they use rhyming when vikings used alliteration.

Eh, that doesn't really bother me, I feel like rhyming is probably an easier sell for jokes while staying reasonably close to the general flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

SubNat posted:

Gods, Creeper World 4 is so satisfying to play.

Each map you slam up against these all-consuming tsunamis of creeper, and there's just something so satisfying about the core loop of slowing it down, reclaiming territory, and blasting it into submission.
It's very much a core-rts loop condensed into 5-15 min maps for the most part.

I especially like how there's a little reward for trying to protect the wildlife that's popped up on most maps. Sure it's a challenge on some maps, but you managed to save that little patch of forest.
It's such a small neat thing, since it isn't directly required (except for possibly some custom missions), and only gives a small energy boost to that area, but it's still nice to protect those tiny little trees.

C'mon buddies, you can reclaim that wasteland.

Oh dang, thank you for bringing to my attention this game's existence

Does the leap to 3D work well?

Edit: I got it and played through the first 6 levels without stopping, it's still so addictive

I used to play the flash game predecessors while I was coming down from amphetamine binges in college. Glad it's still so much fun when you're sober.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Dec 5, 2020

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

bony tony posted:

Origins did a lot with those scenes. You even fought a boss during one of them!

Also in Revelations one enemy wasn't all the way dead, so he woke up halfway through Ezio's monologue, which was fun.

You forgot to mention the boss doesn't just get up through the monologue, he gets up after you aerial assassinate him and drive a dagger down his spine. The only character in the entire franchise who just no sells a successful aerial assassination.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Valhalla, there's a musician with a Prodigy haircut who needs you to deal with a local holy man who won't let him play is his music. Once you beat him up, the musician starts singing "Smack My Bishop"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Does the leap to 3D work well?

Edit: I got it and played through the first 6 levels without stopping, it's still so addictive.

Yeah, the game's done a great leap to 3D. Controls well, and it's really well optimized and runs pretty smoothly. (besides a tiny bit of remapping, though I kinda wish you could rotate the camera to look a bit more straight down.)
Knuckle Cracker took his time and it shows.

Also it has expanded mission and unit modding tools now, so there'll probably be a ton of neat community missions again this time.
Kinda like how CW3 had a series of missions where you played as the creeper, too.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lGhMVQn.mp4
Flyting is just the best, the most fun I've had being a jerk since Curse of Monkey Island

Can you initiate this instead of getting into combat?

More games need accurate representations of the fight or flyt response.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You pillage like a dairy farmer

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hades has an alternate mode you can try when creating a new save file that makes the early game much harder. This is done by permanently enabling certain "Pact of Punishment" curses right from the start. No extra rewards, just bragging rights and a different start for experienced players. However, they took the opportunity to give several characters new dialogue regarding the Pact of Punishment being unlocked early, which is really cool and very Supergiant of Supergiant to bother doing.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Hades has an alternate mode you can try when creating a new save file that makes the early game much harder. This is done by permanently enabling certain "Pact of Punishment" curses right from the start. No extra rewards, just bragging rights and a different start for experienced players. However, they took the opportunity to give several characters new dialogue regarding the Pact of Punishment being unlocked early, which is really cool and very Supergiant of Supergiant to bother doing.

The dialog in Hades is incredible. Characters will comment on what you're wearing, or that you took something off since the last time they saw you. Or that you have another god's boons, or that you lost / won a battle your last round... it's insane.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

christmas boots posted:

You pillage like a dairy farmer

How appropriate! you loot like a cow!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AC Valhalla just made itself the best Assassin's Creed game ever because I just did a thing that unlocked a cat for my longship. So now there's a kitty sleeping on the little shelf under where Eivor stands.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You can buy a cat with real money in Sea of Thieves and I keep finding it curled up and asleep in new places.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

lord funk posted:

The dialog in Hades is incredible. Characters will comment on what you're wearing, or that you took something off since the last time they saw you. Or that you have another god's boons, or that you lost / won a battle your last round... it's insane.

Hermes will mention your speedrun timer if you have it on, the game is too good.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

AC Valhalla just made itself the best Assassin's Creed game ever because I just did a thing that unlocked a cat for my longship. So now there's a kitty sleeping on the little shelf under where Eivor stands.

There's no button to pet the boat cat, but if you just crouch in front of it Eivor will do it automatically.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Valhalla finally did a solid in the costume department, giving you a fun quest to do with the most badass headgear ever. Not only that, but you can keep it afterwards and it shows up in cutscenes (the taking-off-hood-to-get-serious animation is also much funnier now)

Also sometimes she doesn't take it off even when folks want to get close for a little face-to-face time :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Flyting is just the best, the most fun I've had being a jerk since Curse of Monkey Island

This is the first thing that I've seen of AC Valhalla that seems interesting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

How about the game randomly killing you while you're running around between missions

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Finally wrapping up Ace Combat 7 and just hit this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDe2SPlRPsU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Finally wrapping up Ace Combat 7 and just hit this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDe2SPlRPsU

Fuuuuck, do I have to play Ace Combat now?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's a good game but so far that's really been the only instance of that style of humor, so maybe not for this specifically

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Huh, I don’t remember that part of the game. Can you give a bit of context to refresh my memory?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Huh, I don’t remember that part of the game. Can you give a bit of context to refresh my memory?

It's from the post-game dlc missions (chronologically taking place toward the middle of the campaign) involving some intelligence dude who uses an ai and a very large submarine

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

It's great DLC, too. In the first mission the psychotic enemy aces discuss everything you might do, from jousting to avoiding them entirely.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The replays in AC7 are honestly one of my favorite parts. Since I always play in cockpit it's fun seeing different a good flight from different angles and realizing I narrowly avoided collapsing bridges and missile swarms. I also enjoy the dumb cutscenes although I really can't feel sympathetic for princess ivanka and the Eurusians.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh poo poo, they did story dlc? I thought it was just planes or whatever. I’ll have to check that out.

In a related note, project wingman is a really good one of those. Doesn’t do the post mission ribbon of you flying around and scoring points/kills though. I do appreciate that they start adding the weird poo poo in early and that they appear to be more readily available enemies than bosses (so far).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I know there's no ethical consumption in capitalism, but I can't bring myself to buy anything Ubisoft until their entire management is ousted.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Hygiene posted:

They're called broguelikes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

They're called broguelikes.

Those shoes that look like someone attacked them with a holepunch? I hate those shoes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Golf story, when the old folks club gets invaded by young kids: the golf rap battle to get rid of them is goofy as hell but it made me laugh

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
PYF huge things in games: my big floppy CyberCock 2069 :dukedoge:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Creeper World 4 going to 3D does really help it, I feel. In 3 on some custom maps I would find some spots where the Creeper reached like 300 deep, but there was no real visual difference between 30 and 300. Being able to see a wave of creeper the height of a skyscraper bearing down on you, or conversely a massive lake being bombed down to nothing is much nicer when you can actually see what's going on. The increased variance in terrain also helps a lot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I like CW4 but I feel like I’m missing something. What’s the use case for sprayers exactly?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Warbird posted:

I like CW4 but I feel like I’m missing something. What’s the use case for sprayers exactly?

Red creeper and area denial. if you click them you can set them to always on mode so they poo poo out AC all the time, just slowly flooding an area with the stuff. also set one to collect AC and dispatch ore to turn AC in useless areas into ammo.

Then again, I only just did the first mission with them, so...

Ashsaber has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Dec 11, 2020

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Warbird posted:

Flip on the option to have them ‘Always On’, douse your surroundings in anti-creeper. Handy alongside cannons in the same way cannons are good backup for mortars, since the anti creeper sticks around and happily burns off any tiny encroachment so it doesn’t distract the cannons

Bonus; forget to turn them off later and submerge your entire base in a sea of anti-creeper

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Warbird posted:

Cannons destroy a small amount of creeper per shot, are short range, shoot rapidly. Can quickly clear shallow depths. Costs energy.
Mortars destroy a big chunk of creeper in a small area, but need to be firing into depth to be efficient, and can't effectively clear shallow creeper. Costs energy.

Sprayers, in their base mode, operate kind of like cannons, except with a kind of "damage over time" effect - the anti-creeper they fire will linger and nullify some of the surrounding creeper as it fills in. If you set them to "Always On", they will continuously pump out anticreeper at a fixed rate, which will slowly cover the surrounding area. This gives you minor coverage over a very wide area that builds up over time - this can help protect you from an unexpected breakthrough in case you gently caress up your missile coverage or leave a gap in your sniper coverage.
Offensively, this also serves to provide a constant "push" against the oncoming creeper, making it easier to push forward - as your own cannons and mortars open up gaps, anticreeper will pour in to the space and negate any creeper trying to do the same thing, allowing you to push the front and leapfrog faster. Sprayers also don't cost energy to operate, which can be a boon on a couple maps when your energy generation is limited, but your ore generation is usually also pretty limited, so it's really more of a supplement.

You can also, as other posters have mentioned, set sprayers to collect AC and convert it into ammo, so in areas where you don't need a ton of coverage you can recycle your AC and run additional sprayers in forward positions. Since shields block AC, you can also use shields to channel AC towards the enemy and away from your own base, although I've never found this particularly practical to set up - shields seem most useful as a last-mile option to help clear a beachhead or keep a nullifier protected.

In general, much like it isn't efficient to use just cannons or just mortars, to hold the line or push a front, you want to mix sprayers into your offense as it makes the rest of your offense that much more effective.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There won’t be anything as coldblooded as the Paz spirit in Smash Bros: Ultimate giving your character a Bob-omb, but this shot from the new Sephiroth trailer comes close:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1337187387101876224

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I didn't know you could use the sprayers to suck up accumulated AC; I tend to have an absolute ocean of AC over my entire base by the time I'm done. I've found them very useful on missions where Redon isn't convenient to harvest early on because having a thin layer of AC on your most important stuff can save it from spore impacts.

As for topical content, I adore the TERPs. Getting to alter the terrain and creating huge walls along flanking paths is very satisfying. Also great for making the final push against a tough emitter since you can build a high platform right next to it and place a pylon + disrupter on top to cap the point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh poo poo, I need to do that. It seems like a good game but I usually dual screen it and zone out so I’m not surprised I missed some things. The game could do a bit better job of explaining some of the use cases for things like sucking up AC but I do appreciate that the dev out that thought in.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Super Mario 3D Land: Small Mario has a silly pitch shifted voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
In NIGHT IN THE WOODS, the options menu has a note from Mae's therapist: "Options... it's good" and I think about that every time I open an options menu. It's good.