Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Frekkie Melody posted:

What's 9 VOLTs deal and why does people seem to reflexively loathe them?

I don't think they do anything but tweet about video games, but I haven't seen anything from them that makes me think they suck.

My best guess is that they're rather snarky on twitter, so somebody is going to utterly despise them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

I don't think they do anything but tweet about video games, but I haven't seen anything from them that makes me think they suck.

My best guess is that they're rather snarky on twitter, so somebody is going to utterly despise them.

People being mad about other people on twitter is now a full on career path, it seems.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

As diseased as it is to make a defense of the prequels I'd hate to come across the brain that defends the Matrix sequels. At least the prequels are good for memes.

Here’s my video essay defending the matrix sequels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poLPKdc-zTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvLQMMaVmzU

thank you for watching

Augus fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 5, 2020

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't seem to see much of 9 V O L T on Twitter even though I follow them and they aren't muted or anything. I know he's fallen foul of GG/KF types and has had a good bunch of running battles there but that's kind of about it.

Chalk up another hugely insightful reply for the Kimster.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

Yeah they just overdo the snark sometimes into full rear end in a top hat territory but otherwise seem harmless.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I hadn't watched the Matrices in ages until a few months back and watched them back to back to back and the failings of the sequels are even more stark when you watch em that way.

It becomes really obvious that they had no real idea where to go after the end of the Matrix. They should have just stuck to the original plan of doing a Matrix prequel about the war against the machines and then a proper sequel. It would have given them a lot more time to think on what they wanted the sequel to actually be.

Alaois posted:

Enter the Matrix is the game where you play as either Ghost or Niobe and was advertised as being INTEGRAL to understanding the full story of the Matrix Sequels, and contains over an hour of unique footage shot just for the game.

Its also such a hilariously buggy mess due to pressure to release it alongside Reloaded, that the first ingame cutscene you see shows Ghost driving a car that has square tires. People already mentioned the hilariously broken car sections too.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Matrix Online was much better than the movie it was a tie-in to.

M:O actually had an influence on the quality of Revolutions, as the Wachowskis decided to put chunks of the plot meant for Revolutions into Online instead. That's why the ending of that movie doesn't show you what actually happens with Neo after doing his Jesus Christ routine.

I was totally obsessed with the Matrix as a kid, so I have a lot of useless trivia knowledge about it. Considering the sequels and stuff like Jupiter Rising and other movies/series that the Wachowskis made, I have zero hope for the 4th movie turning out above decent on its own merit. Though it would be nice if it was a hit and started a Matrix revival of sorts, maybe then I'd be able to buy a decent leather long coat again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i still haven't watched both matrix sequels all the way through, all i know about them is that they did Tank dirty

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean I don't think the Matrix 4 will be good because of the Matrix sequels but Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer were both good. The only bad post Matrix movie they've directed is Jupiter Ascending and even then I liked what it was going for.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What would it even be about? Is there a single story more finished, done and just stripmined than the Matrix trilogy.

Ah right the Hobbit exists.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

What would it even be about? Is there a single story more finished, done and just stripmined than the Matrix trilogy.

Ah right the Hobbit exists.

They could go with Matrix Within A Matrix or crib stuff from Matrix Online with Neo getting resurrected inside the Matrix, and there's a race between factions to find him to do stuff.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alaois posted:

i still haven't watched both matrix sequels all the way through, all i know about them is that they did Tank dirty

Was there a behind the scenes story about that? Something to do with salary negotiations?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Was there a behind the scenes story about that? Something to do with salary negotiations?

quote:

In 1999, Chong appeared as Tank the Operator in The Matrix. In May 2003, Chong filed a lawsuit at Los Angeles County Superior Court against Warner Bros and AOL Time Warner, saying Warner was in breach of a 1998 verbal agreement, and a 2000 contract to continue the character of Tank in the film's two sequels.[8] It was reported that a breakdown in talks caused by his salary demands and threatening phonecalls prompted The Wachowskis to write Chong's character out of the second and third films in the series.[8]

apparently!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean I don't think the Matrix 4 will be good because of the Matrix sequels but Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer were both good. The only bad post Matrix movie they've directed is Jupiter Ascending and even then I liked what it was going for.

Back when I used to listen to How Did This Get Made?!, the episode they did on Jupiter Ascending was one of my favorites. It was an in-studio episode (so already good to start off), and it went from their usual mockery of a movie to genuinely trying to figure out where the movie went wrong and how it could have been salvaged. It was a fun, thoughtful discussion that I really appreciated as they just posted more and more live episodes that weren't nearly as good.

I ought to go back and see what they're doing now, since live shows aren't a thing at the moment

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

Back when I used to listen to How Did This Get Made?!, the episode they did on Jupiter Ascending was one of my favorites. It was an in-studio episode (so already good to start off), and it went from their usual mockery of a movie to genuinely trying to figure out where the movie went wrong and how it could have been salvaged. It was a fun, thoughtful discussion that I really appreciated as they just posted more and more live episodes that weren't nearly as good.

I ought to go back and see what they're doing now, since live shows aren't a thing at the moment

I think Jupiter Ascending could have fantastic with a quick script rewrite. Dump everything that isn't people being dramatic in a sci-fi ball-gown, and anytime Eddie Redmain's character isn't on screen all the other characters should be asking "where's Eddie Redmain". Sorted.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Frekkie Melody posted:

What's 9 VOLTs deal and why does people seem to reflexively loathe them?

Because 9 Volt will say things like "I kind of enjoyed The Last Of Us 2" and a portion of nerds go feral

Also his one joke tweet has gone viral forever and conservatives are not a big fan of him!

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1127612977585299457

And really all he does is just snark at idiot gamers. I don't think he's a writer or works on anything, he's just some dude who gets a particular portion of nerds riled up but his tweets never have the tone of anything but "eh sure" which I find really funny.

Also related to his one joke tweet, Brie Larson got announced as a present at the Game Awards and it is utterly amazing how many people act like Animal Crossing isn't a real game and all say the same "she's not a gamer if all she plays is animal crossing" comment

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

9 VOLT and Krang T Nelson are in the same Roast Twitter space as far as I can tell. Nothing really necessitating further concern beyond a ha ha.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's good at riling up the GG crowd and just general gamers:

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/984429864475414529?s=20

Augus posted:

Here’s my video essay defending the matrix sequels:

thank you for watching

That's one of the scenes that makes them bad (when it turns unnecessarily into full CGI and he just flies away anyway). Burly Brawl is an amazing song though.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 5, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfeGPilWZp0

Yeah, this is a pretty conclusive ending. Everyone stuck their heads up their own asses and then the machines shut down the Matrix because there wasn't enough paying users. All official Canon.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I actually liked the Enter the Matrix game cause I was like 7 when I got it and you could do bullet time gunfights wow like the lobby scene from Matrix wow

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Matrix Online had a lot of cool concepts but it had some of the worst combat in a genre notorious for bad/boring combat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was also extremely buggy and boring to play.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Let's combine two trends and do a live action remake of the Animatrix.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Groovelord Neato posted:

He's good at riling up the GG crowd and just general gamers:

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/984429864475414529?s=20

I've also seen people mad at 9Volt and I really don't get it. It's incredible to me that some people are so thin-skinned about their hobbies that these kinds of inoffensive jokes send them into insecure baby tantrums.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Groovelord Neato posted:

Matrix Online had a lot of cool concepts but it had some of the worst combat in a genre notorious for bad/boring combat.

It had the same type of combat system that Ryzom had. In that you and the enemy each rolled for an attack and whoever got the highest number did damage and the other took damage.

This of course meant that enemies were often too easy or too hard. And you would get fights where you "won" several rolls in a row and got the enemy down to 10% HP without taking damage. Then the enemy won 10 rolls in a row and you died.

A lot of people (me included) use MXO as an online chat room where you decked out in cool looking clothes and then would just hang out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it stood out so much because it;s the ONE thing over everything else you had to make cool and fun for a Matrix game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

It was also extremely buggy and boring to play.

Didn't it also have some crazy (for the time) hardware requirements?

Macaluso posted:

Also related to his one joke tweet, Brie Larson got announced as a present at the Game Awards and it is utterly amazing how many people act like Animal Crossing isn't a real game and all say the same "she's not a gamer if all she plays is animal crossing" comment

This ties into stuff like the tweet from Dr. Disrespect and his 'mobile gaming isn't real gaming I have a 200K+ gaming rig THAT is real gaming like comment and subscribe.'

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Let's combine two trends and do a live action remake of the Animatrix.

A second renaissance live action film is something I desperately want to see.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlqWBVea5S4

Lindsay Ellis did a really good video on Borat and the general state of early 2000's comedy that just...absolutely aged like dogshit

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

9volt owns

Even tho they think Fallout 4 is better than Fallout New Vegas :mad:

Anyway, content!

Civvie's Throwback roundup covers a bunch of new boomer shooters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQvLjFRUJo

Also new Commentocracy! "No, You're NOT A Gamer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdMzjz5rtI&ab_channel=JimSterling

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 5, 2020

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sexpig by night posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlqWBVea5S4

Lindsay Ellis did a really good video on Borat and the general state of early 2000's comedy that just...absolutely aged like dogshit
I couldn't watch any of it because I hate this kind of mockumentary stuff so much lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

New Borat was good. It's got a lot more plot than the original.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I've never been able to stand these kinds of prank shows. Mockumentaries with actors are one thing, but anything involving real people who aren't in on the joke makes me cringe way too much to laugh.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if you can't stand them normally but want to try something like it try nathan for you - he really does try to throw himself in front of the embarrassment like a soldier throwing himself on a grenade in most of the shows.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bakeneko posted:

I've never been able to stand these kinds of prank shows. Mockumentaries with actors are one thing, but anything involving real people who aren't in on the joke makes me cringe way too much to laugh.

In the Borat 2 the funniest (and most offensive scene) the people are in it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's one of the scenes that makes them bad (when it turns unnecessarily into full CGI and he just flies away anyway). Burly Brawl is an amazing song though.

it loving owns, just complete wacky cartoon bullshit with zero restraint whatsoever, PS2-quality Hugo Weavings flying everywhere
You watch Matrix 1 for the beautifully-executed shootouts, social commentary, and metaphor. you watch Matrix 2 to see the Wachowskis stretch early 2000’s CGI beyond its breaking point in a quest to make anime real.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

In the Borat 2 the funniest (and most offensive scene) the people are in it.

Honestly, if anything I thought Borat 2 suffered a bit from the number of prank scenes where the people figured it out. Like, I thought it was hard to laugh at the "how many girls do you usually put in a cage this size" scene when it was clearly some dude just rolling with the film crew. I think people are catching on to prank stuff a lot more than they used to. Eric Andre seemed to be having a hell of a time actually getting people in the most recent season too.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't know how people could still fall for Borat in 2020 when everybody's annoying co-worker has been doing the "Borat voice" and screaming MY WIFE for the past 14 years

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Benne posted:

I don't know how people could still fall for Borat in 2020 when everybody's annoying co-worker has been doing the "Borat voice" and screaming MY WIFE for the past 14 years

The entire movie is about exactly this. Borat has become too famous to do his schtick, so he's in several disguises through out the movie. Sacha Baron Cohen is disguised as Borat who is disguised as other people.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1335403514470658049

What?!?

https://twitch.tv/videos/827110725

WHAT?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Benne posted:

he's in disguise like 70+% of the film and his fictional daughter carries a lot of the actual pranking