Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I agree but I’m also completely broke brained and been filling up all 3 rings daily for almost 2 years (outside of a single miss on my birthday back in January where I was 29/30 on exercise) and I can’t stop now because Tim will know.

Been doing the same since October 2018. I let the stand ring slip for a while because I swear to God I did stand up and move around (like I physically left my office to walk to the kitchen to pour a cup off coffee and then bring it back to my desk) and the god drat thing didn’t count so I said f that and stopped caring about that ring. I think I stated to caring about it start of 2020 for some reason and now that I can adjust stand hours I just dial it down to 8 because that’s easy enough to hit without having to flail my arms around for it to register.

E: I used to have every monthly challenge badge to go along with my perfect move month badge but I stopped trying for those when lockdown started. It went from something like “do 5km a day” which was easy for me when I could you know go out and do things and then “go do 8km a day” or “55 minutes of exercise a day.”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bought a S5 to upgrade from my S2 and I think it may be cursed.

New Milanese Loop feels kinda cheap compared to my old Space Black, and either it or my jacket gave me a small rash. The flexibility and bend is totally different. Maybe it needs to break in?

Battery dead out of the box.

Literally cannot pair it because my options are "install update" or "start over", and Watch.app is insistent that I am Not Connected To The Internet.

Hoping it doesn't burst into flames while charging on my couch!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I got the watch last year and have been closing all 3 rings. But im downwards trending now

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

369 move streak, holy poo poo. You should probably bump your goal up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One time I got a monthly challenge that was “burn 20000 calories.” That was dumb and I don’t think they repeated it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

One time I got a monthly challenge that was “burn 20000 calories.” That was dumb and I don’t think they repeated it.

My November 2020 goal was to burn 32,101 calories. I hit the goal Nov 30 :smugdog:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It’s at 800 kcal per day. Which I think is a decent daily goal. i had one challenge that was similar earlier this year. I didn’t hit it. Because it was march and lockdown happened so i couldn’t go to the gym anymore.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My November 2020 goal was to burn 32,101 calories. I hit the goal Nov 30 :smugdog:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m at 500/day which I can reliably get with walking at work and a run in the evening or long walk with the dog without going out of my way to complete it by the end of the day which is ideally where I want it to be. Attainable by moving about without really going out of my way to get it. My average is closer to 600 since I’m running more nowadays but I like that floor for weekends where I sometimes... don’t want to do as much.

EDIT: you people are absolute sickos god drat

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I also don't subscribe to the always increase your move ring thing, mines been at 850 for a long long time, like two years, and I really don't feel like increasing it any higher. On a work day, any higher and I would spend all day doing nothing but working, eating, sleeping and working out.

And yes those challenges are out of control. This month is a very manageable 11km a day, but christ apple I'm working from home and it's freezing outside and exercise bike doesn't count?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

Bought a S5 to upgrade from my S2 and I think it may be cursed.

New Milanese Loop feels kinda cheap compared to my old Space Black, and either it or my jacket gave me a small rash. The flexibility and bend is totally different. Maybe it needs to break in?

Battery dead out of the box.

Literally cannot pair it because my options are "install update" or "start over", and Watch.app is insistent that I am Not Connected To The Internet.

Hoping it doesn't burst into flames while charging on my couch!
Had that update problem on my S3, finally found the fix for it recently (at least in my case):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251353285?answerId=252619764022#252619764022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

marktheando posted:

Yeah I also don't subscribe to the always increase your move ring thing, mines been at 850 for a long long time, like two years, and I really don't feel like increasing it any higher. On a work day, any higher and I would spend all day doing nothing but working, eating, sleeping and working out.

And yes those challenges are out of control. This month is a very manageable 11km a day, but christ apple I'm working from home and it's freezing outside and exercise bike doesn't count?

Exercise/bike not counting was such a pain in the rear end when I lived in the Netherlands. Like hello I just bike commuted 11km and another 15km back shouldn’t that count towards my “move this many km this month” goal? Apple Watch says gently caress you.

369 move streak, holy poo poo. You should probably bump your goal up.

Mines at 500 :shrug:

It’s more like a curse at this point to be honest. The day my move streak breaks for something out of my control I’m gonna pop champagne and celebrate because numbers must go up or else I get stressed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s more like a curse at this point to be honest. The day my move streak breaks for something out of my control I’m gonna pop champagne and celebrate because numbers must go up or else I get stressed.

I'm going to straight up do nothing for like a loving week if my streak breaks I can't wait.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

japtor posted:

Had that update problem on my S3, finally found the fix for it recently (at least in my case):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251353285?answerId=252619764022#252619764022

Thanks, I had to do exactly this before it would take. I guess there was some snafu on the wifi info handoff the first time - it seems updates are still downloaded directly to the watch (very slowly!)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Exercise/bike not counting was such a pain in the rear end when I lived in the Netherlands. Like hello I just bike commuted 11km and another 15km back shouldn’t that count towards my “move this many km this month” goal? Apple Watch says gently caress you.

Same. One day I was being lazy and had about 600 kcal done by the evening. Then went to the cinema with a friend of mine. We got out around 11 PM. Took the bus home. I got out a few stops early and ran the rest of the way home. Yo hit my 800 kcal goal, made it just in time.

This thing has me completely in its control.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It was really hardcore before you could change the stand or exercise goals. Makes me wonder, has anyone increased those?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wrist Hitler is responsible for me losing about 15kg over the last year.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I cheat sometimes and set the clock back and work out after midnight, my streak is a lie.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I cheat sometimes and set the clock back and work out after midnight, my streak is a lie.

I didn't know you could do this!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

marktheando posted:

How do you live with yourself?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sefal posted:

I didn't know you could do this!

Need to restart the watch after changing the time on your phone, or it gets confused. I don't consider it really cheating since I'm very nocturnal and I'm still doing the exercise.

If you want to really cheat you can just make fictional workouts on the health app on your phone.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Cheating would defeat the whole point of it.

Apple watch has legit been the best purchase I have made for my health. Sure Apple now has all kinds of information on me. But it has legit improved my health.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

It was really hardcore before you could change the stand or exercise goals. Makes me wonder, has anyone increased those?

gently caress I didn’t know you could change stand and exercise! Oh well, still closing those loving rings. I’m almost at a year.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I forgot to turn off a yoga workout and went to bed. I did yoga for 10 hours. I wish I could edit workouts so I could have kept that workout instead of making a new one without the metrics.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
This has probably been asked before but is there a recommended Podcast app that will sync to my watch? I'm looking to play directly off the watch and the syncing for everything I've tried has been hit or miss.

Right now, Overcast won't sync anything at all and doesn't even pick up what's on the phone (it did for a bit, now doesn't). Tried just about everything, but I've also found inconsistencies with Apples own podcast player.

I'm just looking for something that's a bit more reliable and automatic in loading to the watch.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

givepatajob posted:

This has probably been asked before but is there a recommended Podcast app that will sync to my watch? I'm looking to play directly off the watch and the syncing for everything I've tried has been hit or miss.

Right now, Overcast won't sync anything at all and doesn't even pick up what's on the phone (it did for a bit, now doesn't). Tried just about everything, but I've also found inconsistencies with Apples own podcast player.

I'm just looking for something that's a bit more reliable and automatic in loading to the watch.

It took some digging, but I found when we last discussed this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840039&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=105#post507933801

Many replies about how much Overcast sucks on the Watch.

Some replies:

I could never get Overcast to seamlessly sync anything. Audible is absolute poo poo at syncing as well, but it waits 45 minutes til it's completely done "sending a book" and doesn't show up on the watch. Good poo poo.

Violator posted:

PocketCasts might be an option. I use the phone app all day every day and love it.

https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/apple-watch/

There's also an option in the phone app to "Auto Download Up Next" to the Watch:

I don't know if this does this 24/7 or only when the watch is on the charger though. But if you stream via cellular things would likely be in sync all of the time?

Edit: I don't play podcasts from my Watch solo, but I do browse my playlists, downloads, etc. and manage my up next queue all of the time from the Watch app and it's pretty drat slick. Their site has some screenshots showing how it works.

TraderStav posted:

So far I've found Pocket Casts to be the best overall. I couldn't get into iCatchers UI, but it definitely handled the watch better than the rest.

Pocketcasts seems to be automatically transferring my up next as they come in (for podcasts that I instruct to add new episodes to the end of my up next). It is either transferring them straight away or buffering/downloading when I access them from my watch and not near my phone, but are very acceptable for me as I have an unlimited data plan and results in no thinking/planning on my part.

Going to give this a go for the next few weeks to see how it plays out in more situations and see if I'm interpreting what's happening correctly, but if so, this is the winner for me.

Appreciate all of the great input and discussion on this!

Now I just need Prologue to get a fully functioning watch app that syncs playback position with the phone and I'm all set! (It's on the road map at least)

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Thank you for that. I'll give it a whirl.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any third party apps that do something with the ECG data? Maybe some machine learning based stuff giving terrible advice and diagnostics?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any third party apps that do something with the ECG data? Maybe some machine learning based stuff giving terrible advice and diagnostics?

Not that I'm aware of. That sounds like it would be a HUGE liability minefield.

I just aggregate all that stuff into Health.app and make it available to my doctors (Primary and Cardio) along with all the data collected by my phone and watch. Pretty sure my doctor doesn't make any hard diagnostic decisions off it, but it does give my cardio a much better picture of "how has the last month been?" than my "It's been OK"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What I'm surprised is that the ECG app doesn't measure HRV. I'd wager it's probably more accurate at it than the optical measurement. At least there's never HRV data points around the date and time I ran the ECG.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

What I'm surprised is that the ECG app doesn't measure HRV. I'd wager it's probably more accurate at it than the optical measurement. At least there's never HRV data points around the date and time I ran the ECG.

Apparently it only samples every 2-4 hours when it detects you're still enough to get a good reading.

https://www.apple.com/healthcare/docs/site/Apple_Watch_Arrhythmia_Detection.pdf

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have HRV being collected at the same time my HR is being collected from what I can see.

kitten smoothie posted:

Apparently it only samples every 2-4 hours when it detects you're still enough to get a good reading.

https://www.apple.com/healthcare/docs/site/Apple_Watch_Arrhythmia_Detection.pdf

That looks right, I'd say I average between 8 to 10 readings a day looking at my historical data in Health.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 6, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Speaking of “cheating” I just noticed that I am missing literally 1 green exercise minute on this past Friday. It is bullshit because I remember I was doing loving jumping jacks and push-ups to fill up the move ring and I guess I didn’t realize the exercise ring was missing 1 loving minute and I am positive that between my 25 minute morning walk that day and the jumping jacks I did it should be 30+ minutes but it is at 29/30 and I am losing my mind over this. How do I go back in time and literally add 1 minute that I’m positive I did? I tried adding an Activity backdated in the Health app but it doesn’t seem to work. FML.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Speaking of “cheating” I just noticed that I am missing literally 1 green exercise minute on this past Friday. It is bullshit because I remember I was doing loving jumping jacks and push-ups to fill up the move ring and I guess I didn’t realize the exercise ring was missing 1 loving minute and I am positive that between my 25 minute morning walk that day and the jumping jacks I did it should be 30+ minutes but it is at 29/30 and I am losing my mind over this. How do I go back in time and literally add 1 minute that I’m positive I did? I tried adding an Activity backdated in the Health app but it doesn’t seem to work. FML.

You might need to change the date on your phone to Friday and restart your phone and watch.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
COVID quarantine has really hosed my health goals. I also have the “close all 3 rings all 31 days” this month and am on a 77 or so day streak that I can’t break now!

My SOs new watch was supposed to be delivered today but apparently UPS wanted a signature. I make a point to wait a few minutes to go get packages now since everything is supposed to be contactless.... now I get to go to the CVS down the street to pick it up tomorrow.

Be prepared to actually answer the door for shipments, I guess.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Totally Huge posted:

COVID quarantine has really hosed my health goals. I also have the “close all 3 rings all 31 days” this month and am on a 77 or so day streak that I can’t break now!

My SOs new watch was supposed to be delivered today but apparently UPS wanted a signature. I make a point to wait a few minutes to go get packages now since everything is supposed to be contactless.... now I get to go to the CVS down the street to pick it up tomorrow.

Be prepared to actually answer the door for shipments, I guess.

Man I haven’t had to sign for poo poo in like 8-9 months. Even booze they just look to make sure a 8 year old isn’t answering the door and then go and deliver their 500 other packages

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah they just sign for you and leave the package at the door. For alcohol they just need to make sure an adult is there. Most likely the dude didn't feel comfortable leaving your poo poo at the door because it wasn't safe from theft. Just leave a note on the door next time with your signature and yes all phones and watches from Apple ping a signature required

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought a video card a few months ago and it showed up on the porch with no additional box, just a huge nvidia logo hanging out there for anyone to see. It wasn't even taped shut and had no shrink wrap.

Plague has made carriers more careless and apparently think thieves are too scared to steal.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
What’s the LTE battery life like on the Series 6 if you aren’t streaming music or doing a workout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

What’s the LTE battery life like on the Series 6 if you aren’t streaming music or doing a workout?

S6 battery is great. LTE won’t burn too much battery if you aren’t actively using it.