Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the big image dump but I finished up my Hanomags & Panzer IV and I'm very pleased with them.

Did some weathering on the inside too:

Don't talk to me or my sons ever again.

Now to just paint all the infantry. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

Converting Panzer IV F2s to H in 15mm scale with spare plastic card suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Panzer IV Ausf J with no Schürzen because it kept breaking so I just took it off.

Geisladisk posted:

Incidentally this is exactly what the crew did IRL and for the same reason, so this is very historically accurate :mil101:

:aaaaa:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Those are some sweet German vehicles, zuul. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok, so the Italian Wars are interesting because it's a melting pot of various armies of different styles fighting back and forth through italy. The Landsknechts and gothic armours of Germany, the French that looks like late medieval troops, the Spanish that have that typical conquestador style and then the Italians themselves, a mixture of styles in between as well as unique to them. But puffy sleeves, feathered hats, all that jazz. On top of this, there were tons of mercenaries from all over Europe and the Mediterranean selling their services to the invading armies or the city miltiias.

A typical trait of these early renaissance troops is that a lot of men started wearing mainly a cuirass and helmet, or even no armour at all. Compared to the medieval armies, chainmail seems to be far less popular. So for my project, I need to git good at crafting small cuirasses for my hobbit friends. Mainly for the heavy infantry of course, but also light infantry and ranged troops would wear cuirasses if they could afford them.

First out was some cuirass practice. Making these before any limbs are added were the way to go. With their short stature, I imagine that renaissance halflings would not be too worried about leg hits, instead putting extra emphasis on big thick paldrons to protect from all those strikes from above that they'd be likely to receive.

Then I added some heavy weapons from the Perry foot knigths kit. Heavy infantry were still an important unit type, by this time fighting mainly without shields as they could bash down anything but other plate armoured opponents, which made heavy weapons the way to go. I squeezed in another spearhobbit while waiting for things to cure.

These were by far the trickiest conversions, as I could basically not use either human nor halfling arms. Most of the arms were completely sculpted in green stuff, with the basic shape done first and then clad in plate armour after it had cured a bit. While the most work, I also think they look really badass.

I also did some test archers:

Archers were still a thing, as handguns had spread a lot but had not yet completely replaced them.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Those look really good! One of the forgiving things about early 16th c. conversions is that sculpting big poofy sleeves can be used to cover up all kinds of ugly joins. If you want some inspiration, this blog has lots of great ideas for modelling early 16th c. forces (mainly English and French, but in his earlier posts he has a lot of stuff on landsknechts):

https://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.com/

The big project I've been working on for the last little while is a German force of c. 1500 assembled from the Perry plastics. This is more of a modelling than a gaming project, so I've been doing a lot of kitbashing and converting, and while I started out mainly producing troops that would fit in the late 1400s, I'm now slowly moving into early 16th c. stuff... Soon enough I'll be adding some early landsknechts to my force. I'll post some photos of what I've been working on soon.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Those look really good! One of the forgiving things about early 16th c. conversions is that sculpting big poofy sleeves can be used to cover up all kinds of ugly joins. If you want some inspiration, this blog has lots of great ideas for modelling early 16th c. forces (mainly English and French, but in his earlier posts he has a lot of stuff on landsknechts):

https://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.com/

The big project I've been working on for the last little while is a German force of c. 1500 assembled from the Perry plastics. This is more of a modelling than a gaming project, so I've been doing a lot of kitbashing and converting, and while I started out mainly producing troops that would fit in the late 1400s, I'm now slowly moving into early 16th c. stuff... Soon enough I'll be adding some early landsknechts to my force. I'll post some photos of what I've been working on soon.

Yes, collars, paldrons and puffy sleeves are doing wonders at covering my noob scupting. Thanks for the link, will check it out!

After doing tons of ww2 and nappy, I had worked up quite the medieval/renaissance itch that this is perfect for.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What's with people dropping armor altogether? "Eh, I'm not gonna get stabbed, and if I'm shot, I'm hosed anyways?" Isn't it a bit early for that?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that firearms were rapidly outstripping the defensive capabilities of even plate armour. Infantry in particular opted for mobility and flexibility over cumbersome armour to improve their effectiveness in the field.

But the truth is that in the 16th c. it only looks like a lot of people aren't wearing any armour, since lots of soldiers did wear mail or segmented armour but just covered it with garments.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Plus soldiers spent most of their time in the period walking all over the place and not having to carry that poo poo is a huge incentive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The increase in pikes also seems to change how you armour yourself. My impression is that you either armoured up HARD, in full plate, or you had maybe a cuirass and a helmet, or even nothing.

I’m also checking up falconet cannon. They’re really different looking than ”generic fantasy” cannon, so might help to get that renaissance feel.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 4, 2020

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
If you're looking for a good Italian Wars-era artillery, Steel Fist recently added one to its excellent 28mm Italian Wars range:

https://www.steelfistminiatures.com/product/art-01.-demi-culverin-with-crew-firing-gun./

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

If you're looking for a good Italian Wars-era artillery, Steel Fist recently added one to its excellent 28mm Italian Wars range:

https://www.steelfistminiatures.com/product/art-01.-demi-culverin-with-crew-firing-gun./

Thanks! I looked at it, but since I don’t need the crew, I’m thinking of mirliton’s range. I think somethin like this would be very distinctly renaissance and stand out compared to generic guns:

https://www.mirliton.it/historical-25-28mm/renaissance/italian-wars-xvi-century?product_id=18992&sort=p.price&order=ASC

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Liljonas you constantly inspire me and also make me never want to put my shamefully clumsy brush to tiny man again

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that firearms were rapidly outstripping the defensive capabilities of even plate armour. Infantry in particular opted for mobility and flexibility over cumbersome armour to improve their effectiveness in the field.

But the truth is that in the 16th c. it only looks like a lot of people aren't wearing any armour, since lots of soldiers did wear mail or segmented armour but just covered it with garments.

In truth, I think it really came down to cost. Even in the Thirty Years War it was easy enough to armour troopers to be highly effective against arquebus/musket fire. However, it wasn't worth the cost. I think I read that for the cost of a regiment of armoured cuirassiers you could field 7 unarmoured regiments of horse.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yes, but I think it would still feel worth it for the individual soldier in question :v:

After all, aside from being shot, you're also stabbed and slashed and shot by pistols!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I know it's an overdone topic and predictably depressing, but love to see battlefront releasing a new range of tins with custom dice and counters for all the WW2 factions: American, British, German, Soviet, Waffen-SS.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I know it's an overdone topic and predictably depressing, but love to see battlefront releasing a new range of tins with custom dice and counters for all the WW2 factions: American, British, German, Soviet, Waffen-SS.

I wonder which one is going to sell like crazy...

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

JcDent posted:

Yes, but I think it would still feel worth it for the individual soldier in question :v:

After all, aside from being shot, you're also stabbed and slashed and shot by pistols!

true, but it's worth remembering that armor is going to cost months, if not years worth, of their full wages. Most of those farmers-turned-soldiers don't have anywhere near the money to afford real armor. This of course doesn't stop them from scrounging what they can from the dead, but armor stands a good chance of being the most expensive thing anyone owns on the battlefield.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Liljonas you constantly inspire me and also make me never want to put my shamefully clumsy brush to tiny man again

If it helps any, I feel like a clumsy child wearing knitted gloves when I’m sculpting these, looking at other sculpters and wondering how the hell can they sculpt fingers, when I’ve failed at a simple strap for the fourth time.

Anyway, some progress. In the italian wars, ”rondoleros” or swordsmen with lighter armour and small shields were popular in the Spanish and Italian armies. They could either fight as skirmishers or together with pikes, dodging into the enemy ranks and cut them up close. A perfect job for a halfling! This first one got a kidney shaped shield, or ”adarga”, popular in the early 16th century. These type of infantry got so popular they even spread to the frozen north, with Sweden’s army regulation calling for ”rondachierer”.

I’m sculpting the shields separately, against a bit of plasticard, and then I strip them off once cured.

The adarga was a type of leather shield, initially invented by the Berbers and used by their light cavalry. The it was used extensively by both muslim and christian fighters in Iberia, before spreading across Europe in the early renaissance.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 5, 2020

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
FLGS suddenly has a group of people looking to start in on some Ancients by way of SPQR, so it looks like I get to paint and sculpt a shitload of Persians. Hoping Infamy, Infamy can catch on as I’ve read good things about it, but I know my planned Achaemenid Persians aren’t repped quite yet. Glad to at least dip the toes into ancients.

Trying to decide if I should do all my cavalry by hand thanks to a lack of plastic cav kits for them, or just do some heavy converting so I don’t need to sculpt multiple horses from scratch.

Looks like the initial goal is running a short campaign of loosely-narrated battles, so I’m gonna end up prepping some riotously colorful Levies and a couple units of Immortals.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
What's your timeline like for assembling the Persian force? Because Victrix has plastic Persian cavalry on the way, but they've been delayed by Covid:

http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2020/05/victrix-new-plastic-heavy-persian.html

If you're willing for now to prep infantry, you should be able to assemble a reasonable force and then get a hold of cavalry in about 6 months. In the mean time, you can always sub in Victrix's Greek cavalry, as the Persians did employ Greek or Greek-style cavalrymen at different points.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

FLGS suddenly has a group of people looking to start in on some Ancients by way of SPQR, so it looks like I get to paint and sculpt a shitload of Persians. Hoping Infamy, Infamy can catch on as I’ve read good things about it, but I know my planned Achaemenid Persians aren’t repped quite yet. Glad to at least dip the toes into ancients.

Trying to decide if I should do all my cavalry by hand thanks to a lack of plastic cav kits for them, or just do some heavy converting so I don’t need to sculpt multiple horses from scratch.

Looks like the initial goal is running a short campaign of loosely-narrated battles, so I’m gonna end up prepping some riotously colorful Levies and a couple units of Immortals.

I'd probably wait for Victrix to release their Persian cavalry, as the new Victrix sets have ben lit AF. There'll be plenty of time to paint infantry in the meanwhile.

https://www.beastsofwar.com/news/victrix-persian-unarmoured-cavalry/

Next batch of converted halflings are done! I wanted some well needed leadership for the plate armoured guys, so this fellow got a chain to denote his higher status and a heroic pose. He brought a standard bearer and a musician. The pose ended up a tiny bit... off, but I'm happy that I'm learning new green stuff skills on the way. I think the standard bearer is one of my favourites this far.

I also tried to make some more rondeleros, but morion helmets turned out really hard to convert using green stuff.

24 halflings done! By this pace, I might have a small force done by New Years. But I'm running out of bodies soon, will need to buy another kit or two ASAP! My first goal is to make even eights so that I can have a playable SAGA force.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 7, 2020

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Yeah, good calls there. Looks like they’re currently in tooling, although who knows what the looming UK crisis will lead to.

Either way, I have about 40 infantry to paint for my first small game, so that’ll be fun. I just love the colors and patterns available to the era.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

About 15 years ago I came across bag full of tiny minis about to be shitcanned and took them home. Last night I opened the bag up to see what was inside! Turned out to be a buttload of Heroics and Ros 1/300 WW2 figures, mostly in original packaging.

UK:
9x light infantry platoons
3x heavy weapons platoons
3x para platoons
8x universal carriers
4x daimler armored cars
4x 6 pdr AT gun and crew
4x either 17-pdr AT or 25-pdr field guns
22x Sherman variants (8x m4, 4xFirefly, 10x DD)
4x Wolverine
10x Churchill AVRE (a couple each of flamethrower, bridgelayer, mine flail, fascine, and bobbin carriers)
4x Typhoon fighters

German:
4x Grenadier platoons
4x panzergrenadier platoons
2x heavy weapon platoons
4x 120mm mortars
3x 10.5 howitzer
3x 15cm howitzer
3x Wespe
1x Hummel
3x 2cm Flak 30 guns
5x quad Flak 38 guns
2x 8.8 Flak guns
4x Pak 40 AT
3x Panzer 35 (or 38?)t
13x Panzer 4 (9x F2, 4x H)
11x Panzer 5
7x Stug IIIG
5x kfz 234 (-1, -2, and -3)
9x kfz 250 (mixed MG, mortar, assault gun, flak)
5x kfz 251 (mixed mortar, flak, assault gun)

Some of the vehicles and guns weren't labelled so I gave it my best guess. Dunno what do with them yet but it takes up way less space than 1/100 so maybe they'll live in a shoebox somewhere? :shrug:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Can you take a pic? I don’t think I know what a 1/300 tank even looks like.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My Heroics & Ros T-72s, in that scale:

Two of the turrets just flat out vanished during painting. I'm sure they'll turn up someday.

Also yes, post pics of anything you aren't sure of. We can definitely work it out for you.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Well, I have 80 Persians now thanks to Wargames Atlantic. Time to convert some bodies for my Immortals, get my levies together, and start painting riotous patterns.

As I’ve seen mixed reviews for SPQR, any other decent skirmish-level ancients stuff to help get this going? Already have Infamy, Infamy and I’m looking into what will be needed for Mortal Gods, but the primary goal is to get more people into rulesets without attached models, which is all most of them are used to.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

My Heroics & Ros T-72s, in that scale:

Two of the turrets just flat out vanished during painting. I'm sure they'll turn up someday.

Also yes, post pics of anything you aren't sure of. We can definitely work it out for you.

I bough HnR Cold War stuff as well and the quality can be... something. I mean, it's great if you already have them - as the fair goon does - but otherwise, I'd spring for GHQ.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hedningen posted:

Well, I have 80 Persians now thanks to Wargames Atlantic. Time to convert some bodies for my Immortals, get my levies together, and start painting riotous patterns.

As I’ve seen mixed reviews for SPQR, any other decent skirmish-level ancients stuff to help get this going? Already have Infamy, Infamy and I’m looking into what will be needed for Mortal Gods, but the primary goal is to get more people into rulesets without attached models, which is all most of them are used to.

SAGA: Age of Hannibal just came out and is probably good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

I bough HnR Cold War stuff as well and the quality can be... something. I mean, it's great if you already have them - as the fair goon does - but otherwise, I'd spring for GHQ.
On the other hand, this cost me the equivalent of two GHQ T-72s, so if "good enough" will do... they're fine. They're definitely a brand where it's worth googling the thing you want to make sure they aren't terrible though. These are a little flat and mediocre looking. All the other tanks I got have been lovely though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hedningen posted:

Mortal Gods is self-contained within the box set. You get the rules, the dice and tokens, and enough little plastic Hoplites to play a small game or a side of a large game. It's a fun system.

There's also Saga, a skirmish game which initially focused on the Viking era, but just came out with a Punic Wars (Rome v. Carthage) book that is good. (Edit: Class Warcraft already mentioned this.)

And if you like that era there's Clash of Spears, a fun skirmish game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Two of the turrets just flat out vanished during painting.
That's what happens when you don't pay attention and don't varnish all the letters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Don't know if anyone'll be interested, but some helpful grog has scanned a bunch of Featherstone's Wargamer's Newsletters.

http://fourcats.co.uk/mags/index.html

Adverts, articles, battle reposts, letters...

I opened up March 1973 at random and "The October issue just arrived and I believe that Mr. Gygax essentially misread and misunderstood my Wargamer's Gardyloo article. To reply point by point:"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Don't know if anyone'll be interested, but some helpful grog has scanned a bunch of Featherstone's Wargamer's Newsletters.

http://fourcats.co.uk/mags/index.html

Adverts, articles, battle reposts, letters...

I opened up March 1973 at random and "The October issue just arrived and I believe that Mr. Gygax essentially misread and misunderstood my Wargamer's Gardyloo article. To reply point by point:"

This is amazing, I opened one from when I was born and found a 1,000 essay decrying scale creep including figures the author pulled from measuring his figures. This is concentrated grog.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This guy would be so disapointed to know that in 2020 balance still sucks in every game

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This weekend I managed to get quite a bit of work done!

Got a 222 up to tabletop standard, going to work on chipping it this week.

Also got 5 of my 33rd Charlemagne guys dialed in.

and with those being dialed in, I started batch painting the other 25 guys plus the 5 Indian Legion guys I have.

I'm splitting up the entire block of SS guys so roughly have will have the Autumn Oakleaf & half will have the Spring Oak Leaf.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I pulled up a random one and found a British Brigadier responding to a letter by a Canadian Lt Col on how to make games more psychologically engaging, and one of the recommendations was to check out a couple books on strategy by some other military authors. Due to the time period and their rank, everybody involved would have been a veteran of a couple wars. Also had a good laugh over vets of the North African campaign semi-complaining about the unrealistic rules for armor penetration when compared to actual tactics from the period.

I feel like that kind of person wouldn't fit very well in a modern western military anymore.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

This guy would be so disapointed to know that in 2020 balance still sucks in every game

People who want to play the game rather than history haven't gone away (I recently saw a few on the God-drat ASL facebook group), but yes, it will forever be the burden of game designers to try and make a system airtight. We might not see it, but maybe our children's children will!

Guest2553 posted:

I feel like that kind of person wouldn't fit very well in a modern western military anymore.

How so?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

I wonder how good/historical the Annie sculpts are when compared to Warlord Soviets:

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Female-Soviet-Infantry-Squad-10/p/77407036/category=36713221

Well, in the link you have a straight-up all female soviet infantry squad with smgs and rifles storming the enemy, and that's AFAIK not historical. Women in the red army were used as snipers, tank drivers, truck drivers, medics and lot more, but were thought unsuited for direct combat for a variety of reasons( chief among them the unsuitability of male soldiers to concentrate when they were around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Just live a little, you Danish grump.