Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

nessin posted:

The other problem is the amazing combos that use 3-4 characters elemental skills and bursts all at once to do massive damage. In no way shape or form is there any fight where that is meaningful and dumping every skill you have to do massive DPS just means you're gimped for the next couple of minutes. It's like great, you can kill the two big hillichurls in the fire artifact domain if they're standing next to each other in 2 seconds flat. Now what are you going to do about the two skirmishers? Or even in the boss fights, can that one shot the wolf? If not then what matters is your ability to survive until you can do it again, not that you can actually do it. Or with Childe, congrats you've got a phase 3 skip but you're so targetted to that can you actually make it to phase 3 in the first place?

This was how I felt about it until I got my team comp right. I'm running C2 Ning/C4 Xingqiu/C4 Sucrose/C0 Qiqi and there is basically never a time when I'm not bursting now. The rotation goes:

Qiqi E and Q to begin applying frost
Xing E to apply freezes, Q to begin applying hydro on every subsequent hit. With artifacts, his Q is also generating energy for the whole party.
Sucrose E E E to swirl the poo poo out of everything as it is continually re-frozen, then Q which should now be fully charged, gathering everything together
Ning E, dash through the screen for dmg boost, Q, immediately E again, all your missiles should hit and AOE the clumped enemies, causing enormous damage and blasting shield crystals in every direction. The sheer amount of energy coming off all of these reactions plus Xing's bonus energy will have recharged all your Q's as well, and Sucrose's passive has given everyone +80 EM, and Qiqi's E is healing for thousands per tick. Congrats, you're invincible.

By this point anything in the open world is probably dead, but if you're facing a boss or something you will have about 10 seconds to do Ning's rotation and then everyone's Q will be off cooldown and ready to rotate through again. The only thing that this build does not decimate in a few seconds is the Stonehide Lavachurl which I gather is just resistant to basically everything.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sarsapariller posted:

This was how I felt about it until I got my team comp right. I'm running C2 Ning/C4 Xingqiu/C4 Sucrose/C0 Qiqi and there is basically never a time when I'm not bursting now. The rotation goes:

Qiqi E and Q to begin applying frost
Xing E to apply freezes, Q to begin applying hydro on every subsequent hit. With artifacts, his Q is also generating energy for the whole party.
Sucrose E E E to swirl the poo poo out of everything as it is continually re-frozen, then Q which should now be fully charged, gathering everything together
Ning E, dash through the screen for dmg boost, Q, immediately E again, all your missiles should hit and AOE the clumped enemies, causing enormous damage and blasting shield crystals in every direction. Congrats, you're invincible.

By this point anything in the open world is probably dead, but if you're facing a boss or something you will have about 10 seconds to do Ning's rotation and then everyone's Q will be off cooldown and ready to rotate through again. The only thing that this build does not decimate in a few seconds is the Stonehide Lavachurl which I gather is just resistant to basically everything.

well stonehides you need to kill their shield with anti-geo stuff (so, claymores, overload reactions, and geo attacks), so you'd need to spam their shield down with ningguang attacks first before going through your rotation.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Now that I've shifted my focus away from Razor and to Childe and Chongyun all I'm pulling is Razor constellations. He's up to C3 now. :shepface:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Is 1:34 fast enough?

Might as well practice this one, since I'm probably gonna be doing it a lot.

drat that Chong is beefy. How many constellations are on your Diona? I really wish I pulled more for her, but I was trying to avoid Childe.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Tsyni posted:

drat that Chong is beefy. How many constellations are on your Diona? I really wish I pulled more for her, but I was trying to avoid Childe.

None. Once I got her (of course last out of everyone else on the banner), I stopped pulling to save for Chongyun constellations, which I still haven't gotten after C6 Xinyan, C3 Razor, and C1 Zhongli :shepicide:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

None. Once I got her (of course last out of everyone else on the banner), I stopped pulling to save for Chongyun constellations, which I still haven't gotten after C6 Xinyan, C3 Razor, and C1 Zhongli :shepicide:

I will not mention how the game has been throwing Chongyun at me on every banner then. Weapon banner, standard banner. Chongyun fiesta :|

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Do different artifact sets have different drop rates in a domain? I farm the electro domain pretty regularly since it's the easiest one with Diluc, and I swear I get the electro res artifacts far more often than the electro damage artifacts. I haven't done the noblesse oblige/bloodstained domain quite as much, but in my few runs it definitely feels like noblesse is less common.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

inthesto posted:

Do different artifact sets have different drop rates in a domain? I farm the electro domain pretty regularly since it's the easiest one with Diluc, and I swear I get the electro res artifacts far more often than the electro damage artifacts. I haven't done the noblesse oblige/bloodstained domain quite as much, but in my few runs it definitely feels like noblesse is less common.

From my experience the drop rate is: What you don't want 99%, what you want gently caress You%.

Recently it's Crimson Witch timepieces. I've gotten two and they were both def.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bussamove posted:

From my experience the drop rate is: What you don't want 99%, what you want gently caress You%.

Recently it's Crimson Witch timepieces. I've gotten two and they were both def.

I've spent like 600 resin in there and I've seen one Crimson Witch hat. Ever.

It was DEF, naturally.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
So, anyone know if Baizhu is going to be a playable character? He sure has the clothes for it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is today's glider challenge messed up? I feel like I'm going crazy but the first ring has you too low to hit any of the others.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is today's glider challenge messed up? I feel like I'm going crazy but the first ring has you too low to hit any of the others.

Press E.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ashenai posted:

So, anyone know if Baizhu is going to be a playable character? He sure has the clothes for it.

He's listed as upcoming payable but I'm not sure what the source is besides common sense based on his look.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CJ posted:

Press E.

Haha oops. Forgot about that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The fact that encounters don't always go as planned or require improvisation is also what I love about Childe and why I think the bow stance is slept on. I will actively switch back to it in fights, because it's super versatile to have that ranged option and melee option in a single carry.

inthesto posted:

Diluc has it on the last hit of his combo. If you don't cancel it with a dash or skill, he just sits there for a full second doing nothing.
The issue is that Searing Onslaught can cancel that fourth hit recovery, it's true that it can, and it's also true that doing 1-2-3-4-SO is theoretically the highest damage per second. It's just that the reality of things is you will want to weave between one to three autos before Searing Onslaught taps because the window to hit E again without the cooldown starting is quite narrow (and the real DPS loss is loving up your SO combo, because then you're loving up your Flame Witch set bonus proc). If you need to reposition Diluc because an enemy got knocked back, or died, or is out of range, or is attacking you so you can dodge into them for iframes, you have to just kind of feel that out and decide how many attack swings you can get in before the next tap. Unless your Diluc is C6, you just don't have an ideal rotation that is practical (since C6 is incentivized to do 1-2-SO-3-4-SO which is relatively trivial and you can dodge-cancel to go back to 1-2-SO-1-2-SO-etc. if necessary).

None of this is to say Diluc is bad because the theorycrafters are unrealistic. Diluc is actually great because he's so versatile in being able to cancel his combo or dash to reposition whenever he pleases (since he's not dumping stamina into Charged Attacks). I think that flexibility should be seen as a strength to a character, not a weakness. I feel that Jean is similarly underrated on a DPS end; she has a simple, reliable moveset with low cooldowns and tons of CC on top of just healing herself and others for attacking, and her Charged Attack isn't really made for spamming but can be utilized with Gale Blade to do a fall damage combo which DPS tracking can't really measure. Geo Traveler is similar, as that one video of the 3000 IQ plays showed off; the ability to deal damage and AI manipulate with Starfell Sword is extremely difficult to quantify, but I think people would agree that it does have value.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ashenai posted:

My personal bet is that he'll release alongside Act 3 (along with Dendro becoming a fully realized element) OR perhaps in the patch between Act 2 and 3 as a sort of introduction to the element. Just speaking out my rear end though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I hope Baizhu ends up being the free Dendro. Gimme Dendro-Kaeya

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

inthesto posted:

Diluc has it on the last hit of his combo. If you don't cancel it with a dash or skill, he just sits there for a full second doing nothing.

i'm probably just inadvertently cancelling with skill/burst/swap, since Diluc is flexible like that. Razor having a bit less of that definitely means i'm hyper aware of my jump and skill cancels.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Nakar posted:

The fact that encounters don't always go as planned or require improvisation is also what I love about Childe and why I think the bow stance is slept on. I will actively switch back to it in fights, because it's super versatile to have that ranged option and melee option in a single carry.

The issue is that Searing Onslaught can cancel that fourth hit recovery, it's true that it can, and it's also true that doing 1-2-3-4-SO is theoretically the highest damage per second. It's just that the reality of things is you will want to weave between one to three autos before Searing Onslaught taps because the window to hit E again without the cooldown starting is quite narrow (and the real DPS loss is loving up your SO combo, because then you're loving up your Flame Witch set bonus proc). If you need to reposition Diluc because an enemy got knocked back, or died, or is out of range, or is attacking you so you can dodge into them for iframes, you have to just kind of feel that out and decide how many attack swings you can get in before the next tap. Unless your Diluc is C6, you just don't have an ideal rotation that is practical (since C6 is incentivized to do 1-2-SO-3-4-SO which is relatively trivial and you can dodge-cancel to go back to 1-2-SO-1-2-SO-etc. if necessary).

None of this is to say Diluc is bad because the theorycrafters are unrealistic. Diluc is actually great because he's so versatile in being able to cancel his combo or dash to reposition whenever he pleases (since he's not dumping stamina into Charged Attacks). I think that flexibility should be seen as a strength to a character, not a weakness. I feel that Jean is similarly underrated on a DPS end; she has a simple, reliable moveset with low cooldowns and tons of CC on top of just healing herself and others for attacking, and her Charged Attack isn't really made for spamming but can be utilized with Gale Blade to do a fall damage combo which DPS tracking can't really measure. Geo Traveler is similar, as that one video of the 3000 IQ plays showed off; the ability to deal damage and AI manipulate with Starfell Sword is extremely difficult to quantify, but I think people would agree that it does have value.

the problem with jean DPS is that she's splitting her damage between two types, physical and anemo. Diluc can build for pyro and be fine doing it, since he infuses his sword with pyro after bursting, but jean has no such luxury. So often she ends up being relegated to healer/nuke support rather than a proper DPS, unless you're explicitly building the team around her with a venti, for instance.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

the problem with jean DPS is that she's splitting her damage between two types, physical and anemo. Diluc can build for pyro and be fine doing it, since he infuses his sword with pyro after bursting, but jean has no such luxury. So often she ends up being relegated to healer/nuke support rather than a proper DPS, unless you're explicitly building the team around her with a venti, for instance.

Does jean skills actually do notable damage? I was under the impression that people mainly used her for healing + the knockup / fall damage combo, which wouldn't rely on the ability's damage anyway. Don't have her but I feel like going physical-focused on her would be the way to go, assuming her healing scales on atk like qiqi

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Hazdoc posted:

I've never bothered with anemo damage on Jean, but I mostly run her for heals and yeets. Her physical damage is good enough when I run into something Klee can't bomb to death.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Indecisive posted:

Does jean skills actually do notable damage? I was under the impression that people mainly used her for healing + the knockup / fall damage combo, which wouldn't rely on the ability's damage anyway. Don't have her but I feel like going physical-focused on her would be the way to go, assuming her healing scales on atk like qiqi

the numbers on her e are pretty bonkers, 292% ATK at level 1 on a 6s cd is actually crazy strong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Indecisive posted:

They do a lot. Her E is as mentioned above, her Q does the same damage as Zhong Li's rock while healing your party to full. Physical doesn't make any sense on her because most of her damage should come from abilities and phys% isn't the same as atk so it won't scale her healing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 5, 2020

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

No Wave posted:

They do a lot. Her E is as mentioned above, her Q does the same damage as Zhong Li's rock while healing your party to full. Physical doesn't make any sense on her because most of her damage should come from abilities and phys% isn't the same as atk so it won't scale her healing.

Yeah, I don't build for physical damage, just attack and some ER. The scaling on her E and Q are good enough that I don't feel the need for more anemo damage with her.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Better scaling would mean anemo damage would be more beneficial. That said idk what people like, atk is more heal and anemo is more ability damage so either is probably fine.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

No Wave posted:

Better scaling would mean anemo damage would be more beneficial. That said idk what people like, atk is more heal and anemo is more ability damage so either is probably fine.

If only I had a decent VV set to give her.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I've been getting kicked from domain groups before they even begin because "Geo is crap" and I main Ningguang. This only really started up after Zhongli was released. :sigh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I've been getting kicked from domain groups before they even begin because "Geo is crap" and I main Ningguang. This only really started up after Zhongli was released. :sigh:

lmao people are idiots

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
look, the numbers don't lie. you should only be bringing pryo to co-op, as it's the mechanically superior element.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The same kind of players that parrot this probably don't even try to properly trigger reactions. I bet they'd be A-OK queuing into Guyun with 4 Pyros.

Anyway co-op with randos is just asking for a bad time. Build a Chongyun self-sufficient team that can handle 95% of content.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well i hope they like Xinyan

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I personally kick anyone that isn't using a C6 Diluc

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

nessin posted:

The other problem is the amazing combos that use 3-4 characters elemental skills and bursts all at once to do massive damage. In no way shape or form is there any fight where that is meaningful and dumping every skill you have to do massive DPS just means you're gimped for the next couple of minutes. It's like great, you can kill the two big hillichurls in the fire artifact domain if they're standing next to each other in 2 seconds flat. Now what are you going to do about the two skirmishers? Or even in the boss fights, can that one shot the wolf? If not then what matters is your ability to survive until you can do it again, not that you can actually do it. Or with Childe, congrats you've got a phase 3 skip but you're so targetted to that can you actually make it to phase 3 in the first place?

If someone really wants to convince me they have a killer build, they'd show off completing the Geo artifact domain in record times.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here, but it sounds like you're having huge energy recharge issues. Possibly because you either don't have the right team comp or because you're not picking up orbs with the right characters, idk.

Just to try it out I did a lovely halfassed run of the WL6 geo artifact domain with a team consisting of Keqing, Fischl, Mona and Bennett, and over the course of about two minutes (not a particularly impressive time, I know) I used Keqing's ult five times and everyone else's ult twice. Keqing's I basically use as often as I can, it's insanely spammable, and I did the Bennett/Mona vaporize combo once on the ruin hunter, but it wasn't worth setting that up on the abyss mages since they don't have enough HP so I just used them as they came up the next time.

I really don't know what you're doing in order to be "gimped for the next couple of minutes" when you use everyone's burst. "4 carries spam bursts off cooldown" is a perfectly viable team comp, it just takes a ton of resource investment to get there.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 5, 2020

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Am I missing any good options for dealing with the cryo agents? I only have Bennett as a competent source of pyro damage and obviously he's a great one but since he relies on the cooldowns to actually do pyro, and there's the Spiral Abyss level where you face them on both sides, it's not really ideal. I can probably grind through that Abyss level by virtue of being overleveled but it's a real unfun slog taking those guys down without being able to clear the shield. At the same time, the idea of leveling up Amber just for that one thing seems like a big waste of grind time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

since Fatui shields explicitly require their hard counter, no. but you only have to raise Amber to an extent where she won't get instantly killed and something like a leveled flower and some throwaway HP% gear could help you there. charge shots are obviously faster but you could also just break the shield by dropping bunnies between focusing on other enemies.

e: or that other free pyro character, lmao VVV

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ultiville posted:

Am I missing any good options for dealing with the cryo agents? I only have Bennett as a competent source of pyro damage and obviously he's a great one but since he relies on the cooldowns to actually do pyro, and there's the Spiral Abyss level where you face them on both sides, it's not really ideal. I can probably grind through that Abyss level by virtue of being overleveled but it's a real unfun slog taking those guys down without being able to clear the shield. At the same time, the idea of leveling up Amber just for that one thing seems like a big waste of grind time.

You should have gotten a free Xiangling from clearing abyss 3-3. She should be able to melt those cryo shields fine.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Hazdoc posted:

Her skill and burst have good multipliers but there's still close to zero point gearing Jean for specifically DPS because her best numbers in any fight you'd care about come from impact damage. So you can blow days worth of artifact XP to squeeze an extra 1000 damage from her E skill, or you can just punt an abyss mage into a wall for like 15k damage times 2 hits, every six seconds, and she can do that with lucky dog artifacts and a one star sword.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 5, 2020

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

gandlethorpe posted:

Anyway co-op with randos is just asking for a bad time. Build a Chongyun self-sufficient team that can handle 95% of content.

I like the challenge of joining someone’s world then immediately warping to Mt. Hulao to try and get some Cor Lapis before they start the co-op domain invites.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

I found this chart handy for making sure I have team comps that can effectively cycle ults. Xiangling for example has an expensive (80 energy) ult but low particle generation, so I pair her with Bennett to keep the Pyronado spinning. Note: Energy particles & orbs provide 60% of their normal benefit to characters who aren't on the field, and 1/3rd of their normal benefit if they're of a different element than the receiving character. So only 20% benefit for teammates of different elements who aren't on the field.

Combine sufficient particle generation with her c4 that increases ult time by 40% and Chongyun's c2 for 15% cooldown reduction and you can keep Pyronado spinning for 14s on 17s cooldown.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Whoreson Welles posted:

I like the challenge of joining someone’s world then immediately warping to Mt. Hulao to try and get some Cor Lapis before they start the co-op domain invites.

Sounds like a job for Zhongli!