Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

While we're chatting about electricity, I just discovered this guy on Youtube, who seems like he should be annoying but he's actually quite fun.
He did wade into the "do analog TVs have pixels?" debate but I think his video is pretty much correct even if it is annoying (because that debate is annoying).

e: Analog TVs have 27 pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Alarming amount of electricity knowledge in this thread, love it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

He did wade into the "do analog TVs have pixels?" debate but I think his video is pretty much correct even if it is annoying (because that debate is annoying).

e: Analog TVs have 27 pixels.

Analog TVs have scanlines and phosphor dots, that is all.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
WTF is an analog tv?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

Analog TVs have scanlines and phosphor dots, that is all.
Some of them have phosphor lines instead, or sausage shaped things. None of them are pixels though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

WTF is an analog tv?

The Guardian has you covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6-yjJJhrI

Guavanaut posted:

Some of them have phosphor lines instead, or sausage shaped things. None of them are pixels though.

Scanlines and some paint, then.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Can't decide if I want those calendars to be 100% Bounty all the way through or if it's funnier to have say one Malteaser today and then a run of 4-5 more Bounties.
There's a psychology PhD in this somewhere for somebody. Maybe for the bored nerd in charge of the machine.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
boun-ty the stron-ger soaker-upper

BOUNT-TEE

:sax:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bobstar posted:

While we're chatting about electricity, I just discovered this guy on Youtube, who seems like he should be annoying but he's actually quite fun.

Learn all about US power! (and he talks about UK power right at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

i’m a fan of this guys videos. lots of stuff on vintage tech that’s super cool.

seeing you guys diagnose these issues those makes me more content with the NA system although if i ever redo the kitchen i’m putting in more 240 outlets so i can have a high voltage kettle

edit: speaking that dude and tvs you should check out the video he did on a black and white tv that uses a physical sheet to make the video coloured. it’s like magic.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 5, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the thing is like, anybody would be able to find out the precise arrangement just by looking ahead in the calendar. i haven't sought out celebrations calendar spoilers but perhaps someone's uploaded a list to the dark web

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

mediaphage posted:

if i ever redo the kitchen i’m putting in more 240 outlets so i can have a high voltage kettle

everything below 1000V is low voltage :science:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

"forced to tuck into a Bounty" is the bar for a 'sick joke' now?

Is this how gammons feel when someone asks them to respect a pronoun, because loving hell when I think 'sick joke' I think making days 1-3 different chocolates and day 4 finger bones from a murder trial or stem cells to make a new Jimmy Savile.

Also I like Bounty

Yes. The crowd that often calls people "snowflakes" is in fact, highly sensitive about the most pathetic poo poo. :ironicat:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

i’m a fan of this guys videos. lots of stuff on vintage tech that’s super cool.

seeing you guys diagnose these issues those makes me more content with the NA system although if i ever redo the kitchen i’m putting in more 240 outlets so i can have a high voltage kettle
The NA system that does split phase instead of three phase is bad.

The UK system that has ring circuits is terrible.

The UK having ring circuits ostensibly to save copper and then doing all the central heating with copper pipes full of stagnant water is a level beyond terrible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Who the gently caress buys something that they know contains something they absolutely hate? Just buy a celebrations tub if you're going to be that picky.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ah but you see tradition...

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

kecske posted:

everything below 1000V is low voltage :science:

According to some engineers I know, anything less than 132 might as well be low voltage anyway.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guavanaut posted:

The UK having ring circuits ostensibly to save copper and then doing all the central heating with copper pipes full of stagnant water is a level beyond terrible.

Must be nice living in a house with fancy copper pipes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, I get the constant low key worry that one day the 40 year old pipework will piss lovely water all over the downstairs ceilings.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
And if your piping is some kind of cheap plasticy stuff you don't need to wait 40 years! Ask me how I know

(luckily it was a small leak but jesus christ why)

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I've not read New Statesman in years, and know it's been at very least centre left for longer, but has something happened to give it such a weird set of recent coverage? There's one writer who is putting out pro-royal pieces like why "milennials love Diana" (based on them and one friend's opinion) and an article about why bookshop.org is actually bad, leading with quotes from...Waterstone and Blackwells.

Seems bad even by their standards. Did some big editorial shift happen or something?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It was essentially the party journal of Blair's Britain, right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

you’re not wrong although a number of places will run three phase to your house if you want (though obviously you still need to segregate things out internally) and tons of restaurants work on three phase.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the easiest way to get three phase is to get a house that used to be a shop or eatery of some sorts, but they usually need a lot of work doing.

Otherwise you're looking at several grand and the road being dug up.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

bustin keaton posted:

I've not read New Statesman in years, and know it's been at very least centre left for longer, but has something happened to give it such a weird set of recent coverage? There's one writer who is putting out pro-royal pieces like why "milennials love Diana" (based on them and one friend's opinion) and an article about why bookshop.org is actually bad, leading with quotes from...Waterstone and Blackwells.

Seems bad even by their standards. Did some big editorial shift happen or something?

The new statesman is in very weird place right now. The main thread of its political coverage and editorial is very Sensible Centrist, but while Stephen Bush (political editor) is very much in that camp he is, at least, a lot less grating in general than the likes of Rentoul or most guardian political journalists, even if he's coming from a very similar place and has similar takes. I'd say he's better than your average UK political editor in that he doesn't just repeat "exclusive" leaks from a select few VIPs and does offer a view with some level of critique, but it's often a very narrowly defined view with similarly narrow key sources.
I listen to the podcast most weeks and it's kinda interesting if rarely particularly insightful, but one thing I've noticed that annoys me is that their political reporter, Ailbhe Rae, seems to be getting less interesting over time and is becoming more predictable in having takes on things that are pretty much like Bush's, which themselves are often very predictable "what would a self-described sensible commentator say?"

Their cultural stuff is usually fairly poo poo as far as I can tell, seeming like a poorer version of any given broadsheet's arts conent. Just a handful of reviews, and none with any real personality or spark, and overwhelmingly dull and pointless "think" pieces about whatever the current popular book/tv show/whatever is. Those kinda of articles that are effectively just bad blog posts, at best a few bland observations in search of an argument.

However, their Britain editor (I've no idea what that means either), Anoosh Chakelian, is fantastic, and is one of the very few uk journalists who is still genuinely interested in covering, and clearly very angry about, the continuing effects of austerity and welfare reform. Presumably because she's not a "political" journalist, which seems in most places to just be a very narrow remit of Westminster or Westminster adjacent gossip, she generally focuses on how government policy affects people's lived experience. Her work is consistently excellent and worth seeking out.

Niric fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 5, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

However, their Britain editor (I've no idea what that means either)
Presumably one who edits Britain.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Niric posted:

The new statesman is in very weird place right now. The main thread of its political coverage and editorial is very Sensible Centrist, but while Stephen Bush (political editor) is very much in that camp he is, at least, a lot less grating in general than the likes of Rentoul or most guardian political journalists, even if he's coming from a very similar place and has similar takes. I'd say he's better than your average UK political editor in that he doesn't just repeat "exclusive" leaks from a select few VIPs and does offer a view with some level of critique, but it's often a very narrowly defined view with similarly narrow key sources.
I listen to the podcast most weeks and it's kinda interesting if rarely particularly insightful, but one thing I've noticed that annoys me is that their political reporter, Ailbhe Rae, seems to be getting less interesting over time and is becoming more predictable in having takes on things that are pretty much like Bush's, which themselves are often very predictable "what would a self-described sensible commentator say?"

Their cultural stuff is usually fairly poo poo as far as I can tell, seeming like a poorer version of any given broadsheet's arts conent. Just a handful of reviews, and none with any real personality or spark, and overwhelmingly dull and pointless "think" pieces about whatever the current popular book/tv show/whatever is. Those kinda of articles that are effectively just bad blog posts, at best a few bland observations in search of an argument.

However, their Britain editor (I've no idea what that means either), Anoosh Chakelian, is fantastic, and is one of the very few uk journalists who is still genuinely interested in covering, and clearly very angry about, the continuing effects of austerity and welfare reform. Presumably because she's not a "political" journalist, which seems in most places to just be a very narrow remit of Westminster or Westminster adjacent gossip, she generally focuses on how government policy affects people's lived experience. Her work is consistently excellent and worth seeking out.

Stephen bush is a huge oval office lol and now on the board of deputies

He's been extremely open that windrush and the rest were not disqualifying of his vote but the labour antisemitism stuff was

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guavanaut posted:

Philip Cross?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Thinking about it, it seems like her remit is "commentary on what the government does," whereas the politics editorial brief is "commentary on what the government (+ parliamentarians & their staff) say."

The latter is much more prominent and prestigious than the former.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Brittany was their greatest triumph

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Who the gently caress buys something that they know contains something they absolutely hate? Just buy a celebrations tub if you're going to be that picky.

If they can convince enough gammons that there's a bunch of "lefty snowflakes" whinging about it then they'll get a bunch of them buying them to own the libs

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The BBC is reporting that Starmer is self isolating again. Idk why they bother frankly

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Careful on this volume on this one, as it's stupidly loud but

https://twitter.com/HammerzOliver/status/1335244473069088774

I am not even remotely loving surprised

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got my fudge quite a bit earlier than expected. My parents are still chocolate orange fans, while I have been awakened to the joys of whiskey and ginger. Seriously, that stuff is incredible, and I'd be happy to make it part of my regular order.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I feel like you're going to get this at almost all grounds when the fans get back in unfortunately. Sky will be praying for a third wave so they can go back to the sensible centrist 1880s robot fans who cheer a thrilling run by the opposition and applaud the ref for an astute application of the advantage law

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is this the same knee-taking as in the USA?

I didn't realise teams had started it here.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Darth Walrus posted:

Got my fudge quite a bit earlier than expected. My parents are still chocolate orange fans, while I have been awakened to the joys of whiskey and ginger. Seriously, that stuff is incredible, and I'd be happy to make it part of my regular order.

Glad to hear it’s gone down well! The whisky and ginger is probably the flavour I’m proudest of tbh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh god please kick the fans out again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh god the comments

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Not gonna get too smug about this because they're letting people in at West Ham in 45 minutes and, well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Millwall, a club so well-behaved that after losing an FA Cup first round tie to Slough in 1982 which almost got called off due to a half-time throw down between Millwall and Chelsea's Headhunters, they proceeded to make their way back to Slough train station setting fire or breaking the window of every car they found, and their chairman said if they did it again he would simply liquidate the club on the spot