Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey both Zweis are on this months' humble choice https://www.humblebundle.com/subscription/december-2020

a pretty fair price for both if you pick the 3 game option. then you can pick also pick shining resonance refrain for your third and never play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you pick the 3 game option then you cannot get both Zweis and both Frogs Detective

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's how they get you!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Elderbean posted:

If I like Tangledeep, should I check out Shiren?

Yes, absolutely.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Indivisible? OG Valkyrie Profile is probably my favourite Playstation game, though I assume other than the battle system and the 2D platforming dungeons there are few similarities. Is the comboing fun and is the character variety good? It's always been on my radar but I'm just not sure if it'll recapture that magic..

Considering it because it's part of this month's Humble Choice which also has One Step from Eden, Overcooked 2, Children of Morta, and the Frog Detective games, and is also at a $15 for 15 price.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Indivisible is okay but there's some really annoying bits. Comboing is fun but also very unnecessary, you can get through the entire game without really engaging with the fact that movelists are more complex than Valkyrie Profile. And the boss battles have an insanely annoying element of them being interrupted by platforming challenges, and if you fail the platforming you get sent back to the start of the boss fight.

It feels like it needed another six months in the oven, at least. If you're okay with that though it's not bad, and the animation's fantastic

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Finished Strange Journey last night. I got to Mem Aleph, ground and tried for 2 hours, then said screw it and looked up the endings on YouTube. I had a ton of fun for 75 hours and I didn’t really feel like spending any more time just to deal with their BS last boss. No regrets. Great game except for some BS bosses that required specific builds.

Next up is Trails to Azure. Yay another 80 hour RPG. But I’ve gotta play it before I get to Cold Steel 3 and beyond.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I've been lurking for a bit now while trying to find some kind of high complexity fully turn-based RPG to scratch an itch that I'd normally scratch by replaying War of the Lions or Tactics Ogre for the 5th time, and offhandedly decided to try Scarlet Grace despite never playing a SaGa game before. I'm enjoying it a lot, and really dig setting up combos--and how easy it is to retry engagements if I don't like how they play out or miss a reward.

Are the other SaGa games even remotely similar gameplay-wise? I know none of them are probably gonna be straight up bad or whatever since I'm familiar enough with the name to know it has its die-hards, but otherwise I'm totally oblivious to it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Last Remnant was the spiritual successor of SaGa before Scarlet Graces came out. You’ll get mixed opinions but I loved it and it may be what you’re looking for.

Get the PC version. The older one sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Finished Strange Journey last night. I got to Mem Aleph, ground and tried for 2 hours, then said screw it and looked up the endings on YouTube. I had a ton of fun for 75 hours and I didn’t really feel like spending any more time just to deal with their BS last boss. No regrets. Great game except for some BS bosses that required specific builds.

You can just grab a bunch of low level demons who reflect every element. They're defense is so low mem aleph does a ton of damage all of which is reflected onto her.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Last Remnant was the spiritual successor of SaGa before Scarlet Graces came out. You’ll get mixed opinions but I loved it and it may be what you’re looking for.

Yeah about that...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Getsuya posted:

The remasters are based on the PC version so all versions are fine except the original 360 version.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Sab Sabbington posted:

I've been lurking for a bit now while trying to find some kind of high complexity fully turn-based RPG to scratch an itch that I'd normally scratch by replaying War of the Lions or Tactics Ogre for the 5th time, and offhandedly decided to try Scarlet Grace despite never playing a SaGa game before. I'm enjoying it a lot, and really dig setting up combos--and how easy it is to retry engagements if I don't like how they play out or miss a reward.

Are the other SaGa games even remotely similar gameplay-wise? I know none of them are probably gonna be straight up bad or whatever since I'm familiar enough with the name to know it has its die-hards, but otherwise I'm totally oblivious to it.

The most notable difference is that Scarlet Graces has an entirely unique battle system and there's nothing quite like that strange turn/combo system. Everything else is pretty similar across SaGa games though: they all tend to have the same stats, weapon levels, sparking techniques, and all that good stuff. A lot of them tend to be similar in story structure, being semi-open world jRPGs where you can pursue pretty much every quest and side quest in any order, sometimes with notable changes happening in the world depending on which quests you do first.

But yeah, in general the rest are slightly more traditional jRPGs. You'll do a lot more exploring towns looking for secrets/plot hooks, and dungeon crawling. The battling is a more typical turn based affair as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'd say TLR (which is a SaGa game in all but name) has a pretty unique battle system.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Getsuya posted:

PC version was pulled from Steam some time ago.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That just makes it cheaper. I'm not one to condone piracy but a situation like this, where the product literally cannot be purchased legally even though it exists...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Cheap Trick posted:

PC version was pulled from Steam some time ago.

You can get PC keys off the SE store but I’m not sure how cost effective that would be

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dotn worry you can still buy the last remnant from the square enix store for ten pounds in europe

i didnt check to see if there's a us listing the eu one came up first in google for me

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

it's prob obvious what game this is talking about when you look at my previous posts in this thread but I lol'd all the same

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there actually is a 3d rpgmaker, it looks like this

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, it was on PS2 IIRC.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There were two.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Phantasium posted:

There were two.

I had both as a kid, and despite thinking it was neat and spending a lot of time with them, I was also like an 8 year old child so it mostly came down to playing the built-in, barebones example RPG and messing around with features until I was 'finished' with an area only to realize it was horribly, horribly broken. It ruled.

The earlier 3D one had a much different art style, but the one above went for a very PS2-era JRPG kind of thing.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I used RPGtoolkit for the PC and made like 10 different lovely RPGs that never got farther than the starting town.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elderbean posted:

I used RPGtoolkit for the PC and made like 10 different lovely RPGs that never got farther than the starting town.

You and everyone else on this hell site

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd never start from the beginning. I'd think up dope setpieces that translated like poo poo into an RPG and quit near the end when another one popped into my head.

Played a bunch more Scarlet Grace and dig it more and more, even though it likes to get stuck on an infinite load screen after winning a battle every so often and, despite it apparently being addressed by the devs, it does not appear addressed for me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i miss the raw chaotic creative energy of rpg maker communities where the users made frankenstein games out of an ill-fitting assortment of re-contextualized game rips

stan don miguel

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CYBEReris posted:

stan don miguel

God only knows what he was actually like but man do I have fond memories of that

and RTK installations that were missing assets hell yeah

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pyrus Malus posted:

it's prob obvious what game this is talking about when you look at my previous posts in this thread but I lol'd all the same

They're right

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sab Sabbington posted:

I'd never start from the beginning. I'd think up dope setpieces that translated like poo poo into an RPG and quit near the end when another one popped into my head.

String them all together and you'll still have a better-produced game than FFXIII :v:.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Welp, as much as I'm enjoying Scarlet Graces, despite it (apparently?) being patched on PC, it's decided to keep infinitely loading after every 2-3 battles, and none of the fixes have worked, so I'm gonna have to put a pin in it until I can revisit it on a different platform or give a poo poo enough to try again.

Outside of TLR, does anyone have any recommendations for (preferably PC available) games that might scratch a similar itch? I don't particularly care about the story--which is something young me would be very mad to hear--and am mostly interested in depthy combat/class/equip systems over something that I'll want to just grind until I'm massively overleveled.

I recall really enjoying Bravely Default when it came out, and really hosed with playing around with the delay system in interesting ways, but I've fallen off the RPG wagon for a long time now and I figure there's gotta be some new entries in various series that might work.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Try Octopath Traveler, it might hit some of the points you’re looking for especially if you’re not concerned about the story being amazing or anything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CYBEReris posted:

i miss the raw chaotic creative energy of rpg maker communities where the users made frankenstein games out of an ill-fitting assortment of re-contextualized game rips

stan don miguel

Oh yeah, I miss this.

My furthest RPG-Maker project was basically half the finished game, and I had tons of poo poo downloaded from weird RPG-Maker community sites on my HDD. But back then I didn't really think I'd need back-ups, so the inevitable happened. Losing all that stuff demotivated me heavily, and nowadays making RPGs is just one of my many hobbies competing for time. Also, I now have a job and am not in school anymore, which means even less time for fun stuff. The worst however is that nowadays everyone demands money for their bad game rips, preventing me from reconstructing my dumb landfill of RPG-legos

Though it's probably good for my writing that I now have to depend more on good writing and less on "cram as much bullshit into the game as possible".

I said, then I remembered my latest spreadsheet for skills, classes and equipment is already nearing 500+ entries. :suicide:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
rpg maker was a great learning tool and i had a lot of fun with it. i'd share some of my really old embarrassing poo poo but all my old srm files from rpg tsukuru 2 have somehow vaporized, like i still have them and all that but emulators just treat them as if they were blank save files. i could never wrap my head around the ps2 rpgmaker but that's okay.

the pc rm communities always seemed really cagey and insular when i was younger, but as i've seen more and more dev communities as time has gone on, i guess they're just ALL cagey and insular lol

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How is The Last Remnant? I remember hearing mixed things, mostly people being critical of the level scaling.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elderbean posted:

How is The Last Remnant? I remember hearing mixed things, mostly people being critical of the level scaling.

Weird as hell. I love it personally

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
end game in rs3 and I just figured out how battle ranks work lmao

got a lot of regrets too for how I equipped and built up certain characters. So far my heaviest hitting attack is charl with the silver hand + shadow clone + triumvirate

if there's another playthrough this thing is gonna get broken apart

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elderbean posted:

it's a saga-style game based around squad management. the level scaling was well fixed in the pc version but the entire game was basically a huge problem at launch and for quite some time after, and the reputation for being a badly-balanced game stuck.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Getsuya posted:

Try Octopath Traveler, it might hit some of the points you’re looking for especially if you’re not concerned about the story being amazing or anything.

I actually have Octopath Traveler installed and just haven't touched it yet because, as I understand it, it has a ton of dialogue that I'm gonna have to mash through, right? Probably still worth it, I'm sure, everyone I know who played it loves it, but it's held me back.

I've also been considering revisiting Grimoire of the Rift since I never finished it as a kid and though it didn't hit quite like the original FF Tactics I recall having a really good time with it. Anyone know if it holds up, or if I just have nostalgia goggles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Speak for yourself.

My bad video game toolkit of choice was BYOND. :colbert:

Elderbean posted:

Bad. The remakes are less bad but it's still bad.