Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

Well I wouldn’t exactly call the show bad per se, just a bit unimaginative in some areas. I like most of the characters (Moroha and Towa probably being my personal favorites) and am still interested in seeing where the story ultimately goes.

I think what frustrates me the most right now is that a lot of the episodes have just been rehashing old Inuyasha stories. Like I wouldn't mind the the episodes where the girls fight a random Yokai of the week, and grow as people like the original show. In fact, I'd probably like it, but I don't like how it's recycling poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also isn’t this show only supposed to be about 20 something episodes long? Doesn’t seem like a lot of time for them to just be spinning their wheels like this (though we did get some major plot stuff in the most recent episode).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Also isn’t this show only supposed to be about 20 something episodes long? Doesn’t seem like a lot of time for them to just be spinning their wheels like this (though we did get some major plot stuff in the most recent episode).

I think it's 24 episodes long, though I don't know if they're planning on this only being a single season, or if they're going to do another one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The latest episode was basically pure filler (apart from introducing a minion of Kirinmaru) but it wasn’t too bad.

As mentioned above, I am sort of curious now if they’re actually going to manage to wrap everything up in 14 more episodes or if we’re getting a season 2.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

The latest episode was basically pure filler (apart from introducing a minion of Kirinmaru) but it wasn’t too bad.

As mentioned above, I am sort of curious now if they’re actually going to manage to wrap everything up in 14 more episodes or if we’re getting a season 2.

I think they're planning a second season at this point. Right now, Yashahime is actually getting great ratings.

As for the episode itself, it was all right. I think right now, I don't think Yashahime is amazing or anything, but it's been fun to watch here and there. I just think it could be a lot better than what we've been getting thus far

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

I just think it could be a lot better than what we've been getting thus far

To be cynical about the source material? I kind of don't.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well more often than not they’re basically reusing manga arcs with slight alterations but at the moment I’m mostly in this for the characters and general curiosity about where the main story is going.

But yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re getting a second season out of this (if not more) as otherwise the pacing would probably be a bit faster.

That said, this episode did touch on Moroha’s more vulnerable side at one point (she’s incredibly lonely due to basically being on her own since she was an infant and considers Towa and Setsuna to be her first real friends) so that was nice if nothing else.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 28, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

To be cynical about the source material? I kind of don't.

Just so we're clear, I'm not expecting Shakespeare here. Honestly right now, I find Moroha's background of not growing up with anyone a fuckton more heartbreaking and relateable then Towa and Setsuna being seperated, despite both having grown up with families, and Setsuna not really being bothered by her curse

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, to be honest Moroha seems like a more compelling character than the sisters at this point as unless you count Myoga (who she seems to treat about as well as her dad did if not slightly nicer) she literally had NOTHING prior to meeting Setsuna. The other girls at least had foster families that helped raise them.

Hell, the poor thing looked like she was about ready to cry back when she was griping about Towa and Setsuna bailing on her. This is just another reason why I really hope Inuyasha and/or Kagome aren’t dead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wow, you guys sure are uh...

Well I'm still enjoying this show a lot.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sure are what? If you're gonna say something about people just say it.

I'm still enjoying it but the plot seems like it's going to have to pick up soon without the pacing feeling rushed if it's really only ~24 episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Sure are what? If you're gonna say something about people just say it.

I'm still enjoying it but the plot seems like it's going to have to pick up soon without the pacing feeling rushed if it's really only ~24 episodes.

Yeah, despite complaints I’m still enjoying this series. At this point I’m almost positive we’re getting a second season as unless they really start speeding things up going forward it doesn’t seem like they’re going to reach a satisfying conclusion in just 14 or so more episodes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Fangz posted:

Wow, you guys sure are uh...

Well I'm still enjoying this show a lot.

I didn't say I wasn't enjoying the show, just that some aspects of it are frustrating to me

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's mostly that this thread is like 80% complaining

Edit: VVV yes, we've established that you feel that way

Fangz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 1, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Look, during the quarantine, I read through the entirety of Inuyasha, and I really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would. Right now with the sequel, everything feels rushed, and outside of Moroha, I really don't care too much about Towa or Setsuna.

I'm enjoying the show, but I can see why some people wouldn't.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of impressive that Myoga’s English VA sounds almost exactly the same after all this time, not a big fan of Takechiyo’s voice yet but I imagine it’ll grow on me eventually.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Am I the only one who found it kind of hosed up that Towa and Setsuna only hung out with Moroha last episode so that they could steal her bounty, and that Setsuna lied about being friends to Moroha? Moroha was genuinely happy and thought that they really wanted to be with her

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah, this latest episode kind of makes me hate Towa and Setsuna's treatment of Moroha, considering that the latter asked them to wait a few seconds before heading out.

I know that in the last episode Moroha had Takechiyo speed up when Towa and Setsuna were trying to catch up, but she was clearly just messing with them for fun. Here it looks like that Towa and Setsuna didn't seem to even be playing any jokes on her, and were just impatient

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Especially since they’re pretty much the only family Moroha has at the moment unless you count Myoga and they’re both kind of dicks to her more often than not.

Though to be fair, I’ve pretty much liked Moroha better than the sisters for a while now (she’s not only entertaining but just seems like a more compelling character overall).

Aside from that and this basically being another manga adaptation with the characters swapped out (though there were at least enough twists on the original story to make it feel a bit more unique) this wasn’t a bad episode overall.

At this point I’m almost certain there’s going to be a Season 2 unless they really start speeding up the plot from here on.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 5, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Especially since they’re pretty much the only family Moroha has at the moment unless you count Myoga and they’re both kind of dicks to her more often than not.

Though to be fair, I’ve pretty much liked Moroha better than the sisters for a while now (she’s not only entertaining but just seems like a more compelling character overall).

Aside from that and this basically being another manga adaptation with the characters swapped out and a few new twists this wasn’t a bad episode overall.

At this point I’m almost certain there’s going to be a Season 2 unless they really start speeding up the plot from here on.

I think what sealed it for me is the fact that in the last episode, when Moroha left them at the beginning after being upset with them with not going with her, Towa didn't even try to catch up with her and tell her it wasn't anything personal. I thought that Towa was supposed to be nice, but she's been really lovely to Moroha the whole time they've known each other. Like, even Moroha acknowledged that Towa was the most reliable of them, and that her demon powers were really impressive.

With Setsuna I can understand more, but I still think she's nicer to Moroha than Towa is

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True (hell, last episode Moroha looked like she was about ready to cry while she was griping about Towa and Setsuna bailing on her). And yeah, despite being a bit blunt Setsuna ironically seems to treat her with more respect than Towa does.

I know the main crux of the story is about the sisters but compared to those two Moroha has basically been an orphan since she was an infant, give the poor kid a break already.

All that aside, some of Setsuna’s memories appear to slowly be coming back (though I’m not really sure why she couldn’t recognize the other girl as Towa since they don’t look that much different) so that could be interesting to see where it goes.

I forget, is the pond demon from next week’s episode also a manga retread or is it something original?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 5, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean they can't all be nice to each other immediately, there has to be room for development later. I'm guessing that when we find out what exactly Moroha wants all this money for, there would be a change to their relationship. For now the sisters seem to assume that Moroha is the money-grubbing capitalist whereas Setsuna is fighting demons to help people, while Towa is trying to heal her sister, so Moroha's motives seem the most suspect and selfish.

EDIT: Especially as Moroha keeps trying to manipulate the two into doing fighting for her own benefit, and wants to get the two to fight their own dad.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 5, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

I mean they can't all be nice to each other immediately, there has to be room for development later. I'm guessing that when we find out what exactly Moroha wants all this money for, there would be a change to their relationship. For now the sisters seem to assume that Moroha is the money-grubbing capitalist whereas Setsuna is fighting demons to help people, while Towa is trying to heal her sister, so her motives seem the most suspect and selfish.

Fair, though we’re also 10 episodes into a 24 episode show so unless they’ve got another season planned (which wouldn’t surprise me given the current pacing) things kind of need to pick up in that regard fairly soon. But yeah, as far as we know right now Moroha is basically just a bounty hunter while the other two have slightly more altruistic motives.

Also seems like Takechiyo is an official member of the party now (though we still don’t know if he can fight at all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 5, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Fangz posted:

I mean they can't all be nice to each other immediately, there has to be room for development later. I'm guessing that when we find out what exactly Moroha wants all this money for, there would be a change to their relationship. For now the sisters seem to assume that Moroha is the money-grubbing capitalist whereas Setsuna is fighting demons to help people, while Towa is trying to heal her sister, so Moroha's motives seem the most suspect and selfish.

Especially as Moroha is trying to manipulate the two into doing fighting for her own benefit, and wants to get the two to fight their own dad.

Didn't Jyubei say that Moroha had a debt? Wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason she's obsessed with making money

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

Fair, though we’re also 10 episodes into a 24 episode show so unless they’ve got another season planned (which wouldn’t surprise me given the current pacing) things kind of need to pick up in that regard fairly soon.

Also seems like Takechiyo is an official member of the party now (though we still don’t know if he can fight at all).

Well, they've knocked off 2/4 Perils now, and they have a solid hint on the recover-setsuna's-memory quest, so I think they can fit in confronting Kirinmaru and Sesshomaru in the back half.

Willo567 posted:

Didn't Jyubei say that Moroha had a debt? Wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason she's obsessed with making money

That seems a super tenuous reason, especially since Towa's end goal currently is that all three of them go live in the modern world, which would render all such debts irrelevant. And like it'd not really clear how Moroha could be legitimately in that much debt anyway.

My sort of guess right now is that Moroha is aiming to buy her parents' freedom somehow.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 5, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

Well, they've knocked off 2/4 Perils now, and they have a solid hint on the recover-setsuna's-memory quest, so I think they can fit in confronting Kirinmaru and Sesshomaru in the back half.

I thought Riku said a few episodes back that there were 7 pearls in all?

Also I don’t think it’s really stated how much Moroha actually remembers about her parents (she was sent away as an infant after all) but it could be possible.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 5, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Apparently Hisui, Kohaku and Koton are supposed to appear next episode according to a Japanese program guide. Maybe Konton will die next episode?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

I thought Riku said a few episodes back that there were 7 pearls in all?

Well, then we've accounted for 6 of them so far, haven't we? Only 3 are in the trio's hands, but the rest have been gathered together by the corpse dealer/Riku. It's not clear whether Riku will be a midboss or an endboss, but I think we'll probably end the "gradually collect pearls" stage once the Perils are done and Riku shows his hand.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 5, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

Well, then we've accounted for 6 of them so far, haven't we? Only 3 are in the trio's hands, but the rest have been gathered together by the corpse dealer/Riku.

True, I think there’s only one left unaccounted for at this point.

As for the old cast, we know Miroku’s alive and wandering around for some reason, Rin is stuck in a tree, Sesshomaru is out there somewhere, the fate of Inuyasha and Kagome is still unknown and Sango and Shippo are the only ones completely unaccounted for right now.

Like I said before, I kind of hope everyone’s alive and we get a big teamup between the two groups near the end. It would be nice if Kagome got a chance to meet her nieces (all three of them in fact) as well.

I also kind of wonder if Kouga and/or the Wolf Demon Tribe are going to show up again at some point.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They were probably getting Moroha out of the picture to so that it would just be the sibling pairs together for story reasons. Doing it by bullying her was just the funniest way of separating her from the group, the way she's all "gimme a sec, I forgot something!" and they couldn't even wait five seconds as she bounced out of frame was great. The way they just cheesed it out of there after trashing that poor family's house was also pretty good.

Moroha never getting her bounties is just karma balancing itself after helping herself to thousands of dollars on her uncle's credit card.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Does anyone know if there's anything left to adapt after the water demon and Nikosen stories?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Does anyone know if there's anything left to adapt after the water demon and Nikosen stories?

Well there was that one story about a medicine man who turned out to be some kind of bug I believe (it was never adapted into the anime and took place right between the spot where the original ended and Final Act began). Otherwise not sure.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Fangz posted:

EDIT: Especially as Moroha keeps trying to manipulate the two into doing fighting for her own benefit, and wants to get the two to fight their own dad.

I really don't know if that's entirely the reason she wants them around - maybe it's a part of it, but like I said, she looked like she was about to cry while riding to Koton because Towa and Setsuna wouldn't come with her.

Also, other than trying to rope Towa and Setsuna into doing the one bounty with Jakotsumaru, when did she try to manipulate them?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 5, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Willo567 posted:

I really don't know if that's entirely the reason she wants them around - maybe it's a part of it, but like I said, she looked like she was about to cry while riding to Koton because Towa and Setsuna wouldn't come with her.

Also, other than trying to rope Towa and Setsuna into doing the one bounty with Jakotsumaru, when did she try to manipulate them?

Well, I don't mean that's the actual reason, but that it could easily seem to Towa and Setsuna that this is the reason, since they don't have the benefit of our point of view.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
These kids are kind of mean to each other but there's only been three attempted murders and like one rude dig at anyone's mother so they're doing much better than the last generation so far!

If anything they could stand to do a little more maiming, that's how your dads used to bond!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

New episode descriptions

Episode 12: Night of the New Moon, Black Haired Towa - Airs 12/19/20
Formerly a sage, Nikosen held a wicked heart and transformed into a demon. Konton, one of the 4 Perils, orders Nikosen to get rid of Towa and the other Yashahimes. Meanwhile, Kohaku, head of the demon slayers, requests for Towa and Setsuna to slay Nikosen who is killing (the vegetation) in the mountain. They meet up with Moroha, who has also been requested to slay the demon, at Hageyama. There, they are to confront Nikosen who has prepared to ambush them. However, Towa is unable to create the blade of her demon sword and in a difficult battle, strongly comes under the pressure of Nikosen’s senki poison. Then, her hair becomes black and she turns into a human. That’s because the phenomena of half-demons losing their demonic powers on the new moon has occurred in Towa’s body.

Episode 13: The Delicious Feudal Monk - Airs 12/26/20
A demon that devours virtuous monks and priests has appeared. Demon slayer Hisui is requested to guard his father, who is monk, by Kohaku. Towa and Setsuna accompany him. Miroku, Hisui’s father, once had a wind tunnel that could suck anything in his right hand. However, he was freed from the curse after destroying his old enemy, Naraku, and no longer possesses the wind tunnel. Miroku, who keenly felt his powerlessness after a battle with a certain demon, began a 1,000 day Buddhist training in order to obtain divine powers. 2 years is said to have passed since then. The man-eating demon, Toutetsu, appears before Miroku after being guided by the Rainbow Pearl.

Episode 14: The Mastermind Who Burned the Forest - Airs 01/09/21
No summary

It looks like things are finally going to be picking back up

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, so it looks like Miroku will finally be making his proper return in episode 13 (whereas before we’ve just seen him wandering around wearing a straw hat), I wonder who they’re going to replace Kirby Morrow with once the dub gets around to this episode.

Still wondering where Sango is though (I really hope she’s not dead)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fangz posted:

That seems a super tenuous reason, especially since Towa's end goal currently is that all three of them go live in the modern world, which would render all such debts irrelevant. And like it'd not really clear how Moroha could be legitimately in that much debt anyway.

My sort of guess right now is that Moroha is aiming to buy her parents' freedom somehow.

Part of me says that it's like the case with Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop, where you are saddled with an incredible debt from childhood that can never be paid off, due to a decision that you likely had no choice in making. If that's the case, then Moroha (once she's older and wiser) could renegotiate the terms to keep the obligation in good faith or ignore the debt entirely.

But I'm hoping that the debt is more of a ruse to keep her coming back to the Corpse Dealer so that the latter can keep an eye on her. It can't be denied that Kaede is getting on in years, so when the inevitable happens then there would be nothing to keep Moroha in the area while she's still growing up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you think about it, the Corpse Dealer is technically the closest thing Moroha has to a father figure unless you want to count Myoga. Though whether he actually gives two shits about her outside of her debt to him I’m not entirely sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I wonder if she's saving money to put out her own bounty on the whereabouts of her family.