Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a scary timelapse map showing the rise in rates per county across the US during October & November, when reported infections went from 7.2 million to 13.5 million

https://twitter.com/givingmap/status/1334191917987373057

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My MegaCorp’s initial response was also free coffee, which served as a reminder that they charge us for coffee. Soon afterwards coworkers began dying and it made the news so they sent us home.

I was the first positive at the factory I used to work out and the initial response was to shut everything down, clean it all and send everyone home. By the time we had a cluster, management had decided 'just work faster' was an appropriate response.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I can't even imagine paying for coffee at work that's barbaric

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Strategic Tea posted:

I can't even imagine paying for coffee at work that's barbaric

I visited an office last year that had an entire walk in closet full of snacks for the staff, it was like a dream

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I visited a friend at a Twitter office once, free snacks is nothing. They got free meals, plus drinks and snacks in multiple breakrooms.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get a world class meal at any tech major at 1am. twitter isnt quite there

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

They have beer taps at Facebook. I get yelled at when I drink beer at work and these guys are getting it for free.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hadlock posted:

Somebody (WHO?) got a bunch of money and they've already broken ground on a new vaccine factory/production lab in... India? To do ~5 billion doses/year of vaccines a year as a sort of global backup facility for the next time covid happens, it'll make flu vaccines in the off years

I dunno how you ship fifty million liters of vaccine out of that facility, but it's a start

Are you talking about the Russian Sputnik vaccine that is going to production in India? Because I'm a little bit skeptical about that... But that could be an entirely separate thing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

New estimate says at least 2,700 people in Denmark have been infected with a mink strain.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Github has three full time salaried bartenders, a full size fully stocked open bar, and a fully staffed sushi bar that's open until 7pm, as well as a pool table and other stuff on the ground floor

They have a secondary bar on the roof which has pretty decent views of downtown San Francisco where we found an unguarded bottle of champagne

Most tech companies have beer, and if you know where to look, liquor in the cabinets, this is nothing new. Nearly any office could supply free beer, snacks and lunch for their employees as a rounding error out of their CEOs annual bonus, they just choose not to

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I visited an office last year that had an entire walk in closet full of snacks for the staff, it was like a dream

I occasionally work at restaurant clients and they're the best, they sneak an extra professional coffee machine onto the order and put it in the head office kitchen

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We're all so brokebrained from cabin fever that we're fondly reminiscing about working in offices LOL

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Forget free coffee, I don't even have free parking where I work. I park up to 1.5 miles away and walk in after my 30 minute drive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whooping Crabs posted:

Forget free coffee, I don't even have free parking where I work. I park up to 1.5 miles away and walk in after my 30 minute drive.

In the UK it was decided to give NHS staff free parking at hospitals back in March, but only after hundreds of thousands of people signed a petition: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52048632

The hospitals started winding that back in September, LOL: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54192516

quote:

Harrogate District Hospital's trust says fees will return from 23 September after being paused for staff, patients and visitors during the coronavirus pandemic.

The GMB union said some low-paid health workers could not afford potential charges of up to £1,300 a year.

The trust said it knew the move was "unwelcome" but it needed the spaces.

naem
May 29, 2011

Whooping Crabs posted:

I took public transit for 3 years when parking was raised to $400 a month

$400 didn’t even guarantee you a spot, it was first come first serve and they’d sell more passes than there was parking

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

naem posted:

I took public transit for 3 years when parking was raised to $400 a month

$400 didn’t even guarantee you a spot, it was first come first serve and they’d sell more passes than there was parking

That's how it's been in the last two offices I've worked in because they're in Seattle proper. I much prefer taking the bus over driving anyway.

I miss the wasabi peas they had in our office and I've been debating ordering from the same company, because they're the kind of wasabi peas that will melt your face. I do still have to go in regularly because I work in a lab, but they do still have really amazing whole fruit in the kitchen.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Fame Douglas posted:

Those are way more useful than doing the stereotypical American thing. But lol @ being so devoid of imagination as to be unable to imagine anything more useful than something totally useless to the current situation (guns & ammo)

sorry dude, but that's some american exceptionalism stuff

the usa is doing bad, but when it comes to deaths per capita, that's just midrange

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

New estimate says at least 2,700 people in Denmark have been infected with a mink strain.

Aaaand away we go!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

I visited a friend at a Twitter office once, free snacks is nothing. They got free meals, plus drinks and snacks in multiple breakrooms.

My school district doesn't offer coffee at mandatory 7 AM trainings.

It's a great way to say "gently caress you" without saying a word.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

I dunno how you ship fifty million liters of vaccine out of that facility, but it's a start

Because I can't stop myself working this sort of thing out...

Not sure where you get 50,000,000 litres of vaccine for 5 billion doses, that's 100ml a dose which would be a worryingly big syringe. I've no idea what the actual volume would be but I've never seen a vaccine bigger than about 5ml, although maybe they haven't cracked the miniaturisation on the mind control nanobots.

Anyway, assuming it is 100ml a dose, and it's shipped out in individual doses. Let's give a bit of room for packaging and to keep the numbers simple call it 4x4x10cms:

You can fit 750 doses in a single layer on a single 1000x1200mm pallet, assuming you only stack to one metre high that's 7,500 doses per pallet. You can fit 8 of these pallets in a TEU refrigerated container (obviously the internal size is rather smaller than a standard one to allow room for the refrigeration plant and insulation) So in a single container that can be pulled by just about any lorry you can fit 60.000 doses, or 83,334 lorries - basically 230 a day - to ship out 5 billion doses a year. That's a lot of movements, but big logistics hubs are shifting more than that fairly easily. In fact I'm fairly sure there are individual factories moving that amount.

Assuming that it's actually only 5ml a dose and those 4x4x10 boxes contain 20 doses, which sounds a bit more reasonable, then that's only 15 lorries a day, and I'm certain there are food packing plants moving more refrigerated product than that each day, and they'll almost certainly work out more efficient ways of packing and shipping them.

(Someone double-check those numbers for me please because zeroes are tricky buggers)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As far as I know, a treatment is two doses per person.

Now get 10 billion vials.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

JonathonSpectre posted:

My school district doesn't offer coffee at mandatory 7 AM trainings.

It's a great way to say "gently caress you" without saying a word.
To be fair, coffee is disgusting and few of the places that offer it for free for employees bother with alternative, actually appetizing caffeine options for employees.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Eh, all these food and beverage perks are just ways to get you to stay at work more. I'd rather have a more typical bland office (which I do) where I make coffee that I purchased for myself.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Now get 10 billion vials.
Now did you want specific types of vials made out of specific materials or ...... ah you know what, Jared said he knows a guy who's never manufactured medical supplies before but has some great ideas so we're just going to give him a billion dollar contract and see how it works out.

/vials turn out to be tiny plastic bottle pre-forms that don't fit into the freezer ewers and aren't sterile

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

WaryWarren posted:

Eh, all these food and beverage perks are just ways to get you to stay at work more. I'd rather have a more typical bland office (which I do) where I make coffee that I purchased for myself.

Yeah I'd love to hear of even one example of a company that provided free meals to employees, but also encouraged them to go home after a normal 8-hour work day.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cugel the Clever posted:

To be fair, coffee is disgusting and few of the places that offer it for free for employees bother with alternative, actually appetizing caffeine options for employees.

“...”

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't stand coffee. When you're born without the sense of smell, your sense of taste becomes so strong anything more bitter than chocolate becomes unbearable.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I can't stand coffee. When you're born without the sense of smell, your sense of taste becomes so strong anything more bitter than chocolate becomes unbearable.

Congrats I guess for not developing past the child stage where you can't stand bitter things to naturally keep from poisoning yourself.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Whooping Crabs posted:

It would suck in the snow, rain etc... but the walk is doing you some good at least. Not implying you're fat or whatever, but if everyone walked a couple miles a day they'd all be a lot healthier.

I'm interested to see the long term effects of this vaccine besides just "what if it makes you infertile, shrinks your dong, makes your eyeballs explode"? Etc....

Like maybe it gives the takers cancer or speeds up your brain's aging or some poo poo like that.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

I work in coffee R&D so I have way more coffee than I ever need for the rest of my life. Thankfully that does mean the coffee at work is pretty drat good (because I make it myself).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean there's coffee and tea, fair enough. After that AFAIK you are looking at diabetes inducing cans of carbonated sludge?

Perhaps they have a marketing issue, but my brain just goes GAMER FUEL ew ew ew

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

wesleywillis posted:

I'm interested to see the long term effects of this vaccine besides just "what if it makes you infertile, shrinks your dong, makes your eyeballs explode"? Etc....
Realistically we're not expecting anything exciting. It's doing pretty much what any vaccine does, and long-term effects from vaccines are just really rare. It being 2020 I understand wanting to approach everything pessimistically but it's nothing you should really waste time or energy worrying about at this point.

I am worried we might see a long tail from covid though. Maybe the heart and cns effects are mostly temporary, but I could see survivors having a nasty increase in long term heart disease risk or something like that.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 5, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean there's coffee and tea, fair enough. After that AFAIK you are looking at diabetes inducing cans of carbonated sludge?

Perhaps they have a marketing issue, but my brain just goes GAMER FUEL ew ew ew
or just buy caffeine + l-theanine + one of those water enhancer things and make your own energy shots

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

get a super taster test, you might have the gene, like me, and be unaware that there are bitter compounds you can taste strongly enough that they make you gag, while 75% of humanity cannot distinguish them from plain paper

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

get a super taster test, you might have the gene, like me, and be unaware that there are bitter compounds you can taste strongly enough that they make you gag, while 75% of humanity cannot distinguish them from plain paper

Here's a group of them I've bought for my lab mates before
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019MACBOG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_At9YFbDSQZ56W

I can't taste the bitter one at all but sodium benzoate is absolutely awful to me.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Here's a group of them I've bought for my lab mates before
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019MACBOG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_At9YFbDSQZ56W

I can't taste the bitter one at all but sodium benzoate is absolutely awful to me.

Yeah, i have the same, changed my life, those little paper strips.

In terms of :coronatoot: ... 4000 or so anime fans decided to :theroni: and have an anime convention in dallas with a 12hr open buffet.

https://animedallas.com/
https://www.facebook.com/animedallas
https://twitter.com/search?q=anime%20dallas&src=typed_query&f=image

here's the video of them excusing their murder party: https://www.facebook.com/1696151083785821/videos/326142098457253

It's sure to be fine guys, they do temperature checks, which catch like, 30% of infected people.https://twitter.com/s1ck1y/status/1335068567172239363https://twitter.com/AllKindsOfYES/status/1334982505200488449https://twitter.com/sugarcubegoblin/status/1334975734268518401

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 5, 2020

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
A buffet Jesus

I recently left the hotel industry and at the beginning of the pandemic one of the very first things they did was get rid of our breakfast buffet

Never overestimate an American's ability to fail at the most basic level

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Idiot Kicker posted:

A buffet Jesus

I recently left the hotel industry and at the beginning of the pandemic one of the very first things they did was get rid of our breakfast buffet

Never overestimate an American's ability to fail at the most basic level

A buffet isn't really a huge coronavirus risk, if you can manage the crowds around it. If the line is distanced and it's not associated with a crowded dining room it probably adds little to the enormous, idiotic risk already undertaken by having a convention right now.

E: of course, it's still a risk of cold, flu, norovirus, food poisonings, etc. just like any time you eat at a disgusting buffet

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 5, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

never underestimate how horny people are for underage femboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Same reason I refuse to give blood anymore: temp checks just don't cut it.