Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Thank you for the input everyone. I'll be looking into these options. Probably I'll just become a math teacher or a drug dealer instead though.

Work for the IRS. Your degree combo would be appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
There's a story breaking right now about an investigation into a bribe-for-pardon scheme, via an evidentiary ruling regarding some (un)privileged materials. Some of the actual opinion logic gave me a chuckle.

Oops.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 2, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
gently caress, you can't just say it is attorney-client to get protection, you also need to slip them 5bux. loving amateurs.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
It's 100% Cohen right or Joe Exotic right?

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 2, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

nm posted:

gently caress, you can't just say it is attorney-client to get protection, you also need to slip them 5bux. loving amateurs.

I had a client with an executive who wasn't exactly stupid, but was one of those types who never wanted to listen to any nuance, or really take the time to ever think or consider anything. Instead, he was the sort who would get a half-rear end version of something in his head, and just plow ahead with it.

He kept sending me things and putting in the email that he was sending it to make it privileged.

No matter how many times I told him, "No, your board of directors cannot discuss doing illegal things and then magically make it secret and privileged by sending me the board minutes," he'd just never get it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Based on the punctuation, people are saying it's someone whose last name ends in s. Because it says [REDACTED]'s work on [REDACTED]' case.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

it's someone who needed to pay money for their pardon, so not anyone who could have rolled on donald trump and needs a pardon to keep him out of jail. so not cohen (who could have gotten one if he didn't roll on trump for free) or anyone in the russia investigation

joe exotic, maybe, but does he actually have any money? i would guess that it's just some random really rich criminal that nobody's really heard of.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
EW why do you do it, you can't change their minds

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Look, every partner has a vice.

His is shitposting in USPol.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
never stop, EW

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Eminent Domain posted:

Look, every partner has a vice.

His is shitposting in USPol.

Why can't he do something less mentally destructive like have multiple affairs with co-workers or meth?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Popero posted:

EW why do you do it, you can't change their minds

No one really posts in D&D to change minds.

Well, no one posts twice in D&D to change minds, anyway.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

How do you upload a blank fill in the blank form? https://mobile.twitter.com/questauthority/status/1334267408299806720

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:lol:

Seriously one of the funniest things I've seen today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

Why can't he do something less mentally destructive like have multiple affairs with co-workers or meth?

well for starters i haven’t seen a co-worker since march and i have no idea where i would buy meth

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

well for starters i haven’t seen a co-worker since march and i have no idea where i would buy meth

Try TCC

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sullat posted:

Based on the punctuation, people are saying it's someone whose last name ends in s. Because it says [REDACTED]'s work on [REDACTED]' case.

THIS ISNT CORRECT gently caress

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol:

Seriously one of the funniest things I've seen today.

I bet she filled it in thru the browser and saved it which then saves a blank pdf

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

I bet she filled it in thru the browser and saved it which then saves a blank pdf

Yeah it's this only this really only happens to people who have never ever filled out a pdf form before. Because you learn after the first time.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I wish I had the sort of insane confidence necessary to not check any document three times before filing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

I wish I had the sort of insane confidence necessary to not check any document three times before filing.

I wish I had the confidence to only do it 3 times.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

The key is to not give a Fuuuuuuuu

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I only check twice, take that, Universe and Consequences

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Vox Nihili posted:

No one really posts in D&D to change minds.

Well, no one posts twice in D&D to change minds, anyway.

It makes me a little bit happy to hear that I'm not the only one who had this wonderful experience. The last thing you want to do in D&D is attempt to engage in genuine debate or discussion.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Why would I check my pleadings yet again, when I can instead ask someone else to take a quick look at them and spread the potential blame?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Check the discord announcements for a link to lawgoon Secret Santa signup.

e: Or PM me and I'll send you the form link.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 3, 2020

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

eviltastic posted:

Why would I check my pleadings yet again, when I can instead ask someone else to take a quick look at them and spread the potential blame?

This is the correct approach, bring everyone down with you.

I still check my filings at least five times before hitting submit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eminent Domain posted:

This is the correct approach, bring everyone down with you.

I still check my filings at least five times before hitting submit.

Florida's e-filing portal actually lets you click and see what it's going to look like with the filing stamp and everything before you hit submit. I always obsessively read through everything again one last time. I've caught a few errors doing this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1334954773473275904?s=20

I propose this be the new thread title. Probably don't even need "Law Megathread"

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida's e-filing portal actually lets you click and see what it's going to look like with the filing stamp and everything before you hit submit. I always obsessively read through everything again one last time. I've caught a few errors doing this.

poo poo, I'd love that. Florida ahead of the curve.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Discendo Vox posted:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1334954773473275904?s=20

I propose this be the new thread title. Probably don't even need "Law Megathread"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Done

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Still laughing at that. Can you imagine responding to a question from a federal judge about procedure... like that?

Everything I know about the FRCP, I learned in 2L fed j&p

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eminent Domain posted:

poo poo, I'd love that. Florida ahead of the curve.

It warns you if you've filed a non-pdf/a document, as well. When courts actually use them, the proposed order submission is pretty nifty as well. A fuckton of judges still just have you email .docx files to their JA instead.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Bad news biglaw SDNY goons, work's about to slow down.

https://torrentfreak.com/court-suspends-copyright-troll-lawyer-from-practicing-law-201201/

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've never practiced in a federal court but I'm imagining my civpro professor reacting to that and lmao.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I can imagine Dorsaneo’s lecture about these idiots being completely incomprehensible, much like all of his lectures

Wonder if he is dead yet

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mr. Nice! posted:

It warns you if you've filed a non-pdf/a document, as well. When courts actually use them, the proposed order submission is pretty nifty as well. A fuckton of judges still just have you email .docx files to their JA instead.

I mean my boss's JA is a better lawyer than average, and she's not even a lawyer, so checks out.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

quote:

in the Usherson v. Bandshell case, a New York federal court ordered the lawyer to pay over $100,000 in sanctions for violating several court orders and repeatedly lying under oath.

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Can Trump pardon someone for bribing him to get a pardon for something else?