Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The hidden content is part of the charm for me. There’s enough stuff that I stumbled onto a ton during my play through to the bad ending, was left wanting more, and had the pleasant surprise of having half the game left to play after consulting a guide. I got a full and almost custom experience with all the joy of discovery, then could dig as deep as I wanted. I haven’t beat Godhome or even NKG and it’s still my favorite game of the last 20 years.

If the game forced me to start a new game to experience any of it, or locked me out of anything important (except for I think Zote?) I’d feel differently. Instead it’s a buffet and you can eat until you’re full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been posting my progress in the Silksong thread, because I didn't see this one first.

I'm currently pounding away at my first blind play of HK, and it's been awesome. The NPCs all have a ton of personality, and I've gotten quite attached to a few of them (mistake, I know).

I've gotten to the point where (spoiled for other newbies like me) I've taken out the 3 Sleepers, and I can battle the Hollow Knight inside the black egg. I've just found my way into the Colosseum, and I beat the first 2 battles. Zote found his way back to town, and has proceeded to steal my future waifu.

I'm still having a blast just poking around and trying to explore everything, and mess around with new charm combos to see what I like.

Is there a point of no return in the game? I'm wondering if the battle in The Black Egg is it, so I've been leaving it for now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
gently caress the Queen's Gardens and gently caress the Traitor Lord.

Now stands as t he boss I've beat my head against the most. Still haven't beaten him, and I've tried several strategies/charm combos.

2 loving masks per hit is absurd, even with the fast healing AND the "crouch and move a bit while healing" charms, I can't get a break. Those God-damned orange circle things always get me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is no point of no return, other than technically losing out on a ending that gets replaced with a different version of basically the same thing.

The actual thing to maybe watch out for is the Grimm Troupe DLC, where you can lock yourself out of one of the best boss fights in the game if you choose to not finish the ritual at the very end (and even then you can still fight the boss in Godhome).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been posting my progress in the Silksong thread, because I didn't see this one first.

I'm currently pounding away at my first blind play of HK, and it's been awesome. The NPCs all have a ton of personality, and I've gotten quite attached to a few of them (mistake, I know).

I've gotten to the point where (spoiled for other newbies like me) I've taken out the 3 Sleepers, and I can battle the Hollow Knight inside the black egg. I've just found my way into the Colosseum, and I beat the first 2 battles. Zote found his way back to town, and has proceeded to steal my future waifu.

I'm still having a blast just poking around and trying to explore everything, and mess around with new charm combos to see what I like.

Is there a point of no return in the game? I'm wondering if the battle in The Black Egg is it, so I've been leaving it for now.
When you finish the game, you just start from the last save bench when you load from that file again. The only difference is that you will now see the completion percent in the menu screen. You can lock yourself out of one of the "bad" endings by fulfilling the requirements for the "good" ending. So you are actually risking missing content by not finishing the Hollow Knight battle now.

Otherwise, there aren't any other points of no return besides some places where a choice needs to be made that can't be changed in the same game (save/kill Zote, etc.).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Yeah go ahead into the egg and get the bad ending and achievement, there’s no penalty for doing so now.

After that, keep exploring. You can look at your map and should be able to find obvious places you haven’t been yet.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now stands as t he boss I've beat my head against the most. Still haven't beaten him, and I've tried several strategies/charm combos.

2 loving masks per hit is absurd, even with the fast healing AND the "crouch and move a bit while healing" charms, I can't get a break. Those God-damned orange circle things always get me.

I take this all back, gently caress the Trial of the Conqueror.

I just want my god drat last piece of pale ore.

And I know there's more more evne harder trial after that one, but I am not going to bother. I'm not here to 100% it, but I would like to try and make the remainder a little easier with a fully upgraded nail.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was having trouble with him just recently till I had a lightbulb moment: he's gated behind the that black pillar that you need shade dash to get through, I wonder why? Turns out that just dashing through him (optimally, with sharp shadow for the dmg and +50% range) turns him into a joke, as he will either just miss you and stand there letting you get a lot of sucker punches in, or go flying offscreen giving you plenty time to heal.

He went from total bastard to ez-pz and I felt like a fool for not thinking about how he was gated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In general dashing through enemies and their attacks is a skill you will have to master for a lot of endgame bosses.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Serephina posted:

I was having trouble with him just recently till I had a lightbulb moment: he's gated behind the that black pillar that you need shade dash to get through, I wonder why? Turns out that just dashing through him (optimally, with sharp shadow for the dmg and +50% range) turns him into a joke, as he will either just miss you and stand there letting you get a lot of sucker punches in, or go flying offscreen giving you plenty time to heal.

He went from total bastard to ez-pz and I felt like a fool for not thinking about how he was gated.

I did eventually get him with essentially that strategy, problem kept being that since I have the "full" version with all add-ons, he also threw those drat orange circles, and they're pattern was like the previous mantis dude's circles from earlier combined with, like, the medusa heads from Castlevania. According to the wiki, the initial version he only did the dashing and jumping, no circles or "ground pound" with the white walls that can ONLY be shade-dashed through. Makes it harder to heal since if you get distance, he throws those out.

But persistence paid off, but so far not with that drat trial...furthest I can get is a couple waves past when you have to do several waves entirely wall jumping in a smaller space above spikes. Since you can't heal, I end up low on health, then can never get enough time to fully heal back.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Traitor Lord originally did one mask damage and was a pushover, yeah

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For the Fool trials, I find quick focus plus one of the nail range extenders (but not both) makes things substantially easier. I personally used gurbsong, quick-recovery and thorns of agony, with fungal focus and defenders crest. Basically my idea is I'm going to get hit a lot, so might as well get some free AoE dmg in.

Most of it is knowing the enemies; many of the rounds should be done flawlessly as they're so easy, so you have time to heal up before they're over and you can walk into the 'hard' rounds with full hp, whatever rounds those are for you. The third trial (fool) can be skipped, but yea go get that ore.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I put the maximum money into the bank and took the return on my investment and the sellable stuff to buy Unbreakable Strength today and managed to beat first Grimm and got to The Radiance and brother I am gonna tackle that tomorrow

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

But persistence paid off, but so far not with that drat trial...furthest I can get is a couple waves past when you have to do several waves entirely wall jumping in a smaller space above spikes. Since you can't heal, I end up low on health, then can never get enough time to fully heal back.

Watch some speed runs of the trials. It’s a great way to learn how to efficiently handle those sections.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Basically I'm just going to keep coming here to complain about the next roadblock I hit.

Got the second trial done, but now gently caress Zote.

I just cannot read his moves, the tells are so similar. I jump to avoid his slam but NOPE, it's the one where he moves to the side right before the slam and hits me mid air.

There is NO time to heal, at all. At best, maybe 1 heal when he shoots the little mini Zotes, but have they time they hit me right as I finish but before I can move.

And to add to the annoyance, EVERY time I re-do the fight I have to go ALL the way to the butterflies to get the extra 2 health, cause why not? And then keep dream-nailing that little bug forever to get my soul back.

I really, REALLY wish dream fights wouldn't drain your soul when you die in them, like how you always come back with the same amount of health, you should come bac with the same amount of soul. It's just a time cost to get it back.

I've even tried the strategy where I just use the charms that give me more health, but I can't heal, and I last a little longer but no where close to beating him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zote is my least favorite boss in the game lol. There are harder bosses for sure but his patterns are basically just Calvinball and you kind of just have to hope for the best on being able to put yourself in the best possible spot each time. I wound up having the most success with a DPS heavy build with Quickslash to try to just kill him so quickly he doesn't have time for his bullshit to put you on tilt.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zote's really weak to getting pogo'd. do that and maybe hit him with the Desolate Dive or whatever a few times and you're good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My trick with Zote is never stop moving, even if you're moving away from him. Pogoing works well too. I actually really like that fight, except for the 5% of the time that he randomly wipes the floor with me.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I disagree that pogoing is good on Zote. he jumps, a lot

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Of all the optional content in the game, Zote is like the most totally optional of them all. There are far better ways of getting essence, and unless you're gunning for 112% you can just ignore him.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

b_d posted:

I disagree that pogoing is good on Zote. he jumps, a lot

you pogo him when he's going back and forth, and then you get off his head by diving down

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nate RFB posted:

Zote is my least favorite boss in the game lol. There are harder bosses for sure but his patterns are basically just Calvinball and you kind of just have to hope for the best on being able to put yourself in the best possible spot each time. I wound up having the most success with a DPS heavy build with Quickslash to try to just kill him so quickly he doesn't have time for his bullshit to put you on tilt.

Or you can just react quickly and dodge his poo poo.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

let zote die imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I had more trouble with Radiant difficulty on Zote than on any other boss, including Pure Vessel and Absolute Radiance. He is very fast, very random, and some of his tells are very similar to one another. You need a combination of luck and fast reflexes. I wound up using a spell build, especially reducing spell cost because being able to frequently deal damage at range is really useful for that fight just to clear away zotelings if nothing else. Shade Cloak is an extremely useful upgrade for this fight

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Get all nail upgrades, use the (Grimm troupe) hardened strength charm with quick strike and Mark of pride and hit him fast and hard. This also works on the true final boss...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lets hang out posted:

let zote die imo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Serephina posted:

Of all the optional content in the game, Zote is like the most totally optional of them all. There are far better ways of getting essence, and unless you're gunning for 112% you can just ignore him.

I need ~250 more essence, so I guess my options are him or White Defender. I'll try Defender for a bit. I've done all the Warrior graves and, as far as I can tell, all the other bosses that have Dream fights.

I think I can get like 15-20 more from "killing" all the ghosts in the Resting Grounds, I guess, but that seems cruel...:ohdear:

(Or, hate myself option, equip the dream charm thingy and just try to get the remaining 250 from the like 1% chance of getting 1 essence from a regular enemy!)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Surely you've mis-counted, there's more dream enemies than that. Maybe like 3k worth in the game? So you can skip Zote and one other if you really really really need to see the last piece of dialogue from the moth seer. Or just not care, since again, that's 112% material and doesn't actually give you anything useful like a charm.

edit: Nah I'm wrong, there's only like 2.7k. So skip zote and go get White defender, he's a fun easy fight. Remember that 112% includes stuff like the delicate flower and trial of the Fool, so a lot of that stuff can be left until you can be stuffed to try it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 6, 2020

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Yeah, you must have missed a dream warrior or a whispering root, you should have been able to get that much essence in game even before the DLC.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah I missed a couple or so, maybe I was following an out of date guide?

At any rate, did the Lost Kin and got the essence and upgraded my Dream Nail.

I'm guessing that right now I can:

Go to the black egg temple right now and, I assume, fight the titular Hollow Knight for a "bad" ending.

Then I'd reload back at the last bench, and this time I could use the upgraded dream nail to enter the white palace to get the second half of that charm. Then I'd go back to the temple to get a good ending?

And I think there's something about going to the abyss with that completed charm and it changes to a different charm, and then I could get a third ending?

And of course I could also beat my head against the wall trying to do the final Trial or that flower quest. I also need to finish making the last fragile charm unbreakable, and I know there's like two soul fragments I've missed somewhere, and 3 mask fragments (though I know one is from the flower, and the other is that place to drop a bunch of Geo in.)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The flower quest was a very ‘fun’ challenge! Lots of ‘fun’ to be had there!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Just clear the path before you pick up the flower and it’s trivial.

No reason to beat yourself up if you don’t want to.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've definitely broken the flower just on the spikes right before the grave, nothing you can do about that

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Go to the black egg temple right now and, I assume, fight the titular Hollow Knight for a "bad" ending.

Then I'd reload back at the last bench, and this time I could use the upgraded dream nail to enter the white palace to get the second half of that charm. Then I'd go back to the temple to get a good ending?

And I think there's something about going to the abyss with that completed charm and it changes to a different charm, and then I could get a third ending?

And of course I could also beat my head against the wall trying to do the final Trial or that flower quest. I also need to finish making the last fragile charm unbreakable, and I know there's like two soul fragments I've missed somewhere, and 3 mask fragments (though I know one is from the flower, and the other is that place to drop a bunch of Geo in.)

Absolutely go get the bad ending. There’s no punishment for doing so, you get the achievement and you can start your save file right outside the boss door and go back to exploring more content.

The fight itself is challenging but you have the skill set by now to handle it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I've definitely broken the flower just on the spikes right before the grave, nothing you can do about that

Yea, I mean it’s not a guaranteed win, but it’s easy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DrBouvenstein posted:

Endings chat:

Going and killing the final boss will get you the first ending. Killing that boss after visiting the abyss will get you the second ending which is just a slight variation on the first. Doing a specific thing during the boss fight after visiting the abyss will get you the third ending which is much more different.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Note that once you do certain things, you permanently lock yourself out of seeing the other endings. But getting one doesn't mean you can't load your save file and then go get another. So its advised to do all of them in sequence unless you want to do multiple runs.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Or you can watch the other endings on youtube, it's like a 20 second cutscene.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah don't feel like you're obligated to see all of the endings in your play-through. That said the Hollow Knight boss is pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Bust Rodd posted:

Just did it, here are my tips (it sounds like you did it too but hey, whatever):

- Use Shaman Stone, Spell Twister, Mark of Pride. Grubberfly's Elegy is also helpful but is a liability in Fog Canyon, be wary.
- Take the tram over to Crossroads. Down to Gruz Mother, then left to Fog Canyon.
- Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul the Furious Vengeflies—one SS will kill them. One who is below you in the first goam room can be baited and become stuck so you can hit him through the floor, just jump out and back. Another who is up a ramp after alternating goams can be quickly abyssal shrieked and you can charge on before he explodes.
- Take your time descending Fog Canyon to Teacher's Archives. Try not to do anything offensive whatsoever as you might pop a kamikaze jellyfish. It's possible to make it down that screen without touching anything.
- You'll only need to shade soul one flying mantis in Queen's Gardens, shouldn't be a problem.
- Don't double jump in the last thorny room.

Here's the full attempt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMCL3k1F24