Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Coolness Averted posted:

tbf the mechanics are pretty impenetrable to a new player and if no one tells you to rush to the basic mods, or gifts them to you and explains that you wanna ditch the mk1s asap it can be very boring to play, especially if you do the logical thing and start on all those quests you get right at earth and mars or go into the open world stuff early.

I admit that it's not very newbie friendly (but do people not look up guides or tips when starting new games---I have to because I suck), but the story and art design is so cool and different. Also, if you don't tear up a little when your Space Mommy abandons you only to return as a villain, then you don't have a heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bungie did apparently love throwing up lots of high-concept ideas and plot threads for the Halo games and showed no interest in following up on or resolving any of them, does seem like a habit.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I wish bungie made the ghosts sexy anime ladies but they must have lost all their horny artists to 343 studios when the split from Microsoft happened.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Terms of the split:

No making single player sci-fi shooters

No sexy computers

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I wish bungie made the ghosts sexy anime ladies but they must have lost all their horny artists to 343 studios when the split from Microsoft happened.

This is why Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet is superior to Destiny 2. You can build your own waifu or husbando.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The "Infinite" in Halo Infinite refers to Cortana's new cup size

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I suspect that was the real reason for the delay. The devs realized that even the Series X quickly runs out of resources when trying to render Cortana's bust. The remaining dev time will be spent moving those physics to Azure clouds.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Destiny is like every sci fi trope ranging from hot space women to non-sapient Kardeshev 3+ entities that have harnessed time completely and build gardening exhibits out of star systems mashed into every fantasy trope and vaguely christian analogy ever put down in the post LOTR world

It owns and it's like a weird science fiction fever dream you had looking at a bunch of book covers in a barnes and noble in the late 70s

(The vanilla D2 campaign absolutely was a joyless poorly written slog though, absolutely no argument there)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Psycho Landlord posted:

Destiny is like every sci fi trope ranging from hot space women to non-sapient Kardeshev 3+ entities that have harnessed time completely and build gardening exhibits out of star systems mashed into every fantasy trope and vaguely christian analogy ever put down in the post LOTR world

It owns and it's like a weird science fiction fever dream you had looking at a bunch of book covers in a barnes and noble in the late 70s

(The vanilla D2 campaign absolutely was a joyless poorly written slog though, absolutely no argument there)

That rather makes it worse though because it's taking a ton of potentially fun ideas and doing the most boring possible thing with them, just such a massive waste of potential

Mass Effect at least tried to deliver, even if it tripped, shat itself and fell facefirst in the poo poo at the finish line

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Personally, I do not think fighting a nuclear abomination made of a giant quadcopter and an alien kleptomaniac powered by nanomachines and pure rage by throwing his own cooling rods back at him while a gay robot and his gay wizard lover wax rhapsodic about a city ringed with spears in the background "boring" but I also hate the game your av is from so it is obvious we will never be able to understand each other and posting combat is our only recourse

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Did u all know that all the best parts of Density's fluff were written by local goon General Battuta, who is the same guy who wrote the Traitor Baru Cormorant which is one of those books that if you haven't read it means you're not allowed to have opinions about books. His most recent writings for Bungie's Destiny had a bit where a transhuman robot man thought his face turned into a toenail because it turns out putting a human mind in a robot is hard

bet you didn't, sci fi wi fi destiny thread

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Hasn't GB himself admitted that Destiny isn't very good, though? At least, I think he mentioned wincing when a review of The Traitor mentioned his involvement with Destiny's writing.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I do not recall such a thing being said anywhere that I've seen and given his excitement about our reactions to his more current Destiny stuff I am going to hazard a guess that he does in fact still take pride in what he wrote for bungie's magnum opus, Destiny 2

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

I do not recall such a thing being said anywhere that I've seen and given his excitement about our reactions to his more current Destiny stuff I am going to hazard a guess that he does in fact still take pride in what he wrote for bungie's magnum opus, Destiny 2

I misremembered somewhat. He defended the parts of Destiny he contributed to, at least.

General Battuta posted:

Especially because everyone likes the parts of Destiny I wrote :( I'm proud of that dumb Grimoire and all those items!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Psycho Landlord posted:

Personally, I do not think fighting a nuclear abomination made of a giant quadcopter and an alien kleptomaniac powered by nanomachines and pure rage by throwing his own cooling rods back at him while a gay robot and his gay wizard lover wax rhapsodic about a city ringed with spears in the background "boring" but I also hate the game your av is from so it is obvious we will never be able to understand each other and posting combat is our only recourse

That's not in vanilla d2, friend. Do you have a very uh unique interpretation of the game,
Or are you talking about a world event or the raid? The raid seemed to have a far cooler story and background than anything I saw in the main story or the Osiris expansion which is where I stopped.
Edit: Oh poo poo I completely misread that and thought you meant D2 had that scene. Yeah D1 seemed like it had some crazy and fun stuff, that's how my friends sold me on playing D2.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 30, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lol I did mean D2 actually. Most recent expac.

I completely get why you would have a bad opinion of it if you just played vanilla and CoO. Like I guess I am the Destiny Defender here but I will be the first to admit that year one of D2’s existence was flatly bad.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
remember when they said the traveller got its name from that one basketball astronaut saying it was like traveling in basketball

yes

yes that's really how it happened

bij
Feb 24, 2007

These days I'd just prefer that cool-sounding plot threads and inscrutable space fluff remain unexplored because whenever a sci-fi/fantasy IP tries to tie up loose ends it is a loving disaster.

It's a good excuse to play dress-up with a blue space barbie and shoot something with a light up space ak called something like Abstruse Ambition with a description that earnestly insists that is is ~malice aforethought, sword in hand ~ bloody steel from a far off land~

Then you paint it pink.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll be honest, I've largely given up reading extraneous videogame *lore* for games I'm only semi-invested in, and haven't looked at a lick of D2's ingame stuff outside of some light wikiing. Sorry General Blue Planet guy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXs0R370LU

Destiny owns

quote:

My favorite part is fighting Space Satan's Son in ultra-spacehell (not to be confused with his other spacehell that some robots invaded to figure out how worship worked) and murdering him with a sword because the space satans' ultra-spacehells run on a thing metaphorically called "sword logic" that your idiot character took literally instead but it worked out because it really just meant murder your way to the top anyway

I just really like that the key component of the final boss fight in that raid is "your gigantic punchman is a loving idiot and missed the point so here you are I guess"

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 1, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The best part of that is that afterwards the dumb glowing ball that is the ascended soul of an evil space wizard who has acquired power beyond your comprehension is all yes you have slain the space satan, now you are the king, take your throne- and you just grab the neat gun you got out of the raid chest and leave and it completely loving shatters his worldview lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also that neat gun contains a little piece of space satan’s soul so he lives forever through you killing stuff with it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Also that neat gun contains a little piece of space satan’s soul so he lives forever through you killing stuff with it

Jokes on him I kept using vision of confluence instead

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Its definitely a bold decision to set your game after all the interesting stuff in the lore had already happened.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hey it worked for Breath of the Wild.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To answer your question OP, Destiny is more the most cartoonish collection of embarrassing fantasy tropes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

this kinda all underlines what i said, there's obviously rad poo poo in there but it's obscured by all the dogshit game design stuff. just make it a single player game and let me, a normal person, play the game about space satan abuse.

also lole at playing a game for a year that you think is bad

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

well why not posted:

this kinda all underlines what i said, there's obviously rad poo poo in there but it's obscured by all the dogshit game design stuff. just make it a single player game and let me, a normal person, play the game about space satan abuse.

also lole at playing a game for a year that you think is bad

A lot of people do that, like where it's flawed but they chill with friends in it. Also D2 had a hilarious post release dev cycle where they lied about what could and couldn't be fixed and basically kept saying they were gonna make the improvements everyone wanted, but it wouldn't be until the next expansion content. Then kept doing that. Eventually they did, or so I'm told.
But they didn't come out and say "Look, we hear you and we're gonna include all that but it's gonna be incremental and you won't see any of it until the 2nd season pass" until they'd sold enough of the 1st season pass.
Of course nerds were also really bad about trying to read tea leaves in the flavor and lore descriptions of s1 expansions as proof the game was going to get good content.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It was the most innovative shooter I'd played in years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

A lot of people do that, like where it's flawed but they chill with friends in it. Also D2 had a hilarious post release dev cycle where they lied about what could and couldn't be fixed and basically kept saying they were gonna make the improvements everyone wanted, but it wouldn't be until the next expansion content. Then kept doing that. Eventually they did, or so I'm told.
But they didn't come out and say "Look, we hear you and we're gonna include all that but it's gonna be incremental and you won't see any of it until the 2nd season pass" until they'd sold enough of the 1st season pass.
Of course nerds were also really bad about trying to read tea leaves in the flavor and lore descriptions of s1 expansions as proof the game was going to get good content.

MMO players are some broken people

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Nobody played d2 year 1 past the first couple months, that was why bungie completely remade the core mechanics of the game for y2 when it got good lol

The only reason people still play Destiny is because activision had advertising money to burn on Forsaken

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Still playin thru destiny 1 with my wife at night and we just finished the black garden. I asked her what she thought was going on and she had no clue. We watched al the cutscenes and read all the quest descriptions. Now let’s see if the first two expansions are any better

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I ran through a strike last night and it took me like 10 minutes to realize it was one of the strikes from Destiny 1 that was added back in with the Cosmodrome as part of Beyond Light. Instead of rolling my eyes at "They're reusing stuff from 5 years ago and acting like it's new!" I got super excited. "Oh hell yeah! Omnighul fight! I know how to do this one!" I'm part of the problem.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Still playin thru destiny 1 with my wife at night and we just finished the black garden. I asked her what she thought was going on and she had no clue. We watched al the cutscenes and read all the quest descriptions. Now let’s see if the first two expansions are any better

No and No. (Whatever expansion it was that focused on the Hive, that was the worst one. I can deal with fighting the Hive on occasion, but putting an entire expansion on their dimly-lit ship and fighting them and only them constantly got old real quick.)

Re: The Black Garden, I'm starting to think that Bungie should really lean into Vex bullshit as the canonical explanation for "That's why you fought the same battles, Guardian, again...and again"

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
This is unrelated to the story being trash, but did they gently caress with difficulty in the old strikes? Because we are still leveling I thought it would be fun to do the legacy strike playlist, which is listed at level 20 or 100 light, and we are level 25 and 29 with over 120 light each. There are waaaay more enemies and waves than I remember and we are getting enrage timer’d by bosses (did they add those??? Geez it’s been a while).

Also they pulled all the strikes out of the normal quest lines and they just appear on the map with no explanation later. These mmo style “living stories” where basic game stuff is constantly changing really upsets the old codger in me

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

I ran through a strike last night and it took me like 10 minutes to realize it was one of the strikes from Destiny 1 that was added back in with the Cosmodrome as part of Beyond Light. Instead of rolling my eyes at "They're reusing stuff from 5 years ago and acting like it's new!" I got super excited. "Oh hell yeah! Omnighul fight! I know how to do this one!" I'm part of the problem.

No and No. (Whatever expansion it was that focused on the Hive, that was the worst one. I can deal with fighting the Hive on occasion, but putting an entire expansion on their dimly-lit ship and fighting them and only them constantly got old real quick.)

Re: The Black Garden, I'm starting to think that Bungie should really lean into Vex bullshit as the canonical explanation for "That's why you fought the same battles, Guardian, again...and again"

Sometimes it's fun to have a game reuse an idea? I loving loved Death Star mode in 2015's Battlefront and wish it was added to Battlefront II, or even a Death Star II mode. (Actually, an Endor Death Star mode would loving OWN).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bogus Adventure posted:

Sometimes it's fun to have a game reuse an idea?

Yeah, I don't mind that strike because I haven't seen it in 3 years.

I do mind that they rewrote all the overwrought dialog, though. rip "SILENCE HER SCREAMS"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I don't mind that strike because I haven't seen it in 3 years.

I do mind that they rewrote all the overwrought dialog, though. rip "SILENCE HER SCREAMS"

OMNIGUUUUUL

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Friends I am here to tell you that the "plot" of Tetris Effect multiplayer is Destiny

Eyes up, Guardian

The Darkness has invaded our solar system and seeks to choke out all light

Did I mention the fact that there's a giant black Pyramid

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

JethroMcB posted:

Did I mention the fact that there's a giant black Pyramid

Shouldn’t it be a tetromino, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade