Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Original, non-arc. If the arc has a label somewhere let me know, maybe the regular one does and I’m missing it.

Power Arc Expert has nothing. "Designed in California" "155mm" "Body Geometry" and the S logo. Not even a model name, though it looks like the newer version does have the model printed on the side of the nose now.

Edit, new page killed:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Busted out a 180km today and HOLY gently caress but constant headwind everywhere murdered me. Especially on the coast it was just constant winds at according to my app 12m/s, but whatever the case it was by far the strongest headwind I’ve ridden in and it was crazy how much it slowed me down.

Props. Point to point is easier than a loop - nice to have transport back. The last 20 mile or whatever grind back to the starting point is always the worst of a long ride.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

Power Arc Expert has nothing. "Designed in California" "155mm" "Body Geometry" and the S logo. Not even a model name, though it looks like the newer version does have the model printed on the side of the nose now.

Edit, new page killed:

Props. Point to point is easier than a loop - nice to have transport back. The last 20 mile or whatever grind back to the starting point is always the worst of a long ride.

Well I’m debating my transport back being my bike the day after tomorrow lol

This is day 2 of going across Taiwan up the west coast, but day 1 I set out too late and was also even further behind schedule due to constant headwind, so hopped a train for the last bit after riding 117km.

Dunno if I’ve got the fitness for another two days of almost 200km rides, but I’m also kinda tempted to see what it’s like to have that ridiculous wind at my back the whole time...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a loathsome bird posted:

Apparently the Comp has decals on the rails now but mine doesn't, you might just have an older version.

It has Ti on the rails, and I have a comp that Cro-moly on the rails. loving mystery saddle!

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I knew it was going to be a fast ride today but I didn't expect it to be near race flat out fast, but I did get my first ever kom:

And I definitely hate flat courses, just can't beat a good climb.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

El Laucha posted:

I knew it was going to be a fast ride today but I didn't expect it to be near race flat out fast, but I did get my first ever kom:

Good ride!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LimburgLimbo posted:

Busted out a 180km today and HOLY gently caress but constant headwind everywhere murdered me. Especially on the coast it was just constant winds at according to my app 12m/s, but whatever the case it was by far the strongest headwind I’ve ridden in and it was crazy how much it slowed me down.

Which direction did you go in?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gohuskies posted:

I've been back biking a lot for about 9-10 months now so still figuring things out. I ride an old early 90s rigid mountain bike, mostly on gravel and dirt roads. In the last week I have gotten three really slow flats from punctured tubes. It's not an abrupt flat at all, there are hours of riding between them and losing pressure pretty slowly, but three tubes in a week seems like something is up. I have felt around the inside of the tire several times for anything sharp and I can't feel anything, but it's weird that it keeps happening. Should I try taking it to a shop, or don't bother with spending money on them if they'll tell me to buy a new tire anyways so just do that now and skip a step?

how old is the tube? are you patching the tube each time it goes flat or pumping it up and keep going? replacing it with new?

how old is the tire? might be time to get a new pair. are you on 26" or 27.5?

Chinatown posted:

Had a dude in a busted Camry go completely apeshit that I blew a stopsign that he was coming up to tonight. Chased me to the next intersection where he almost clipped my rear tire and I had to dip into an alley to disengage.

Urban cycling loving rules. I love it.

wa state legalized blowing thru stopsigns on bike which owns, did they do this in california?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

BraveUlysses posted:

how old is the tube? are you patching the tube each time it goes flat or pumping it up and keep going? replacing it with new?

how old is the tire? might be time to get a new pair. are you on 26" or 27.5?

One time I kept pumping it up for awhile just to get through the rest of my ride but otherwise I've put two new tubes in there and it's currently flat waiting for me to put in a third. It's an old rigid MTB with 26x1.95 knobby tires, which don't appear to be sold super often nowadays. I bought it used so I have no idea how old the tires are - it was from a trustworthy used bike shop but I don't know how it got to them and if they did anything to it before I got it besides a round of basic maintenance.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Which direction did you go in?

Went North; live in the South and wanted to make my way up. I guess the wind pretty consistently blows from the north but it’s abnormally strong this week.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

El Laucha posted:

Hell yeah. This is the good stuff.

I rode on the trainer because it was cold and flurries. Sad!

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Had a dude in a busted Camry go completely apeshit that I blew a stopsign that he was coming up to tonight. Chased me to the next intersection where he almost clipped my rear tire and I had to dip into an alley to disengage.

This is where a U lock tucked in your belt is your best friend. I've counted coup on many a road raging driver on the streets of SF.

Here you can blow a stop sign if you're on a marked bike path but that didn't stop a guy in a new pickup truck speeding ahead and brake checking me in the bike lane and into a construction site out of spite. I hope it was worth the rear view mirror replacement.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A video with some interesting tips on bicycle anti theft methods popped up in my suggested videos list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITY-fJJnPNQ

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

kimbo305 posted:

Both of yall should be solidly in medium range, with your spouse needing to running relatively tall seatpost for mediums.

I don't see a huge reason to push drop bars for this use, but included a couple.
All of these should fit racks and fenders. In TX, you'll prob want to run racks and panniers/baskets to carry things off your back, if you'll be commuting in the long term.
Austin seems to have a bit more selection for rigid hybrids. Listed roughly in order of value, not price.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-haro-amos-22-commuter-gravel-bike/7227194556.html 11 speeds is great. I would jump on if it rides well.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-medium-175-inch-specialized/7233194655.html 7-speed, which is ok but not especially fine grained.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-jamis-allegro-sport/7241188322.html
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-liberty-gravity-cxd-54cm-road/7236108263.html 8-speed, still kind of coarse gear steps. This is $500 new, but you'd have to wait to get your hands on it, and know how to assemble: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_cxd.htm
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/d/roanoke-kona-rove-54cm-like-new/7225503047.html
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bik/d/denton-priority-continuum-onyx-belt/7230185126.html Belt drive will have better resale value, but the geared hub has a different pedal feel that you might not like.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-nishiki-manitoba-hybrid-aluminun/7220322899.html

Boss, I got in touch with a few of those sellers and hopefully will be setting up some test rides next weekend. Thanks!! Still open to suggestions from the hive mind if anyone has thoughts and feelings about bikes around DFW.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Chinatown posted:

What part of the city?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gohuskies posted:

One time I kept pumping it up for awhile just to get through the rest of my ride but otherwise I've put two new tubes in there and it's currently flat waiting for me to put in a third. It's an old rigid MTB with 26x1.95 knobby tires, which don't appear to be sold super often nowadays. I bought it used so I have no idea how old the tires are - it was from a trustworthy used bike shop but I don't know how it got to them and if they did anything to it before I got it besides a round of basic maintenance.

Instead of something sharp puncturing the tube there could be a small split in the tire the tube is pushing out of

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Anyone know what's going on with Crust? Their website has an ominous "Thanks for six years if support / closed until further notice" message on it.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

rope kid posted:

Anyone know what's going on with Crust? Their website has an ominous "Thanks for six years if support / closed until further notice" message on it.

From the comments on The Radavist when asked if they were closed- "Nah, just out of stock on everything and I'm sure the emails are too much to manage. Re-opening once they have more stock in 2021. Working on other stuff in the interim."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's stupid that they couldn't manage a better message to leave up. But that seems on brand.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah it seems tonally way off if it's just a temporary stop on orders.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

rope kid posted:

Yeah it seems tonally way off if it's just a temporary stop on orders.

They’ve put up some pretty ‘short’ notices on pre-orders before, I remember the Clydesdale page saying “we don’t know when they’ll arrive so don’t even bother emailing us”. My hunch is they just were tired of dealing with ‘more evasions when’ emails. But, it’s also not a great look, there are plenty of other places to buy made in taiwan frames with similar specs these days.

Also, I know when they got a bunch of frames in recently they sold ALL of them in one or two days. People were pissed because they also didn’t notify anyone who had signed up for their ‘in stock’ alerts, so maybe that anger contributed to the closure?

They also moved from NJ to VA within the last year, so that could be a factor too?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think it's kinda crazy that any online business drives customers to call over emailing. Especially one that doesn't benefit from close timing coordination.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
If you're in the Madison/Dane Co area and are looking for a bike to get around on, check out our auction for Free Bikes 4 Kids, all proceeds go toward keeping our workshop going so we can continue to fix bikes and give them back to the community. We collected nearly 2000 bikes this year, so that's a lot of replacement parts to purchase, salary for staff mechanics, etc.

https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/38061/auctions/93376?page=3&fbclid=IwAR1Hv--hcQkOTjonY3V8KNKFq_Nh5S-ue9DD6NuXOp_KAbcIK8JU2MfMF-g

There are a lot of good bikes in there if you're looking for a get around town/commuter type of bike.

If you'd like to donate some volunteer time or money, check out our site: https://fb4kmadison.org

And lastly, Pacific Cycle was kind enough to donate an e-bike to us for a raffle: https://fb4kmadison.rallyup.com/2020ebike/PQLB2A

I was riding it around the shop the other night and it's a pretty sweet whip. $20/ticket, 6 for $100.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 7, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's kinda crazy that any online business drives customers to call over emailing. Especially one that doesn't benefit from close timing coordination.

People that will pick up a phone in todays age are usually angry enough that you want to deal with their enquiry as fast as you possibly can.

After working in E-Commerce for the best part of 10 years now don't e-mail if you can avoid it. Also we love to have nice people who just genuinely want to ask questions on the phone. It balances out all the rage.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Doing some work on my idiot bike. Instead of sending it to the shop to do the basic maintenance, I'm gonna put a new chain on, clean everything up, and put some bar wrap I like on.

Everything's a lot cleaner than I thought it'd be considering how I crashed this thing twice

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The metallic red and blue on some of Giant's bikes have no right being as pretty as they are.

Weather now is basically the worst for outdoor riding; just below freezing first thing in the morning moving to +3-5ish in the afternoon. Barely any snow, most of the ice is gone, and sand EVERYWHERE.

I'm back to riding the trainer. Because of my new schedule I can really only ride that thing in the morning as soon as I get up. Yawning away while in the middle of an interval trying to shake the cobwebs out of my brain.

There's a freezing rain warning for tomorrow and then it's gonna at least be consistently below 0 and no snow in the forecast for the next two weeks. Glad I have studded tires. Trails are gonna be so slick and fast once they freeze again.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 9, 2020

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Cloudy and 57 on friday here in columbus, sigh I guess I’m loving biking

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've had a lot more bikes, but man, the stories / bike average is sure a lot lower
https://www.outsideonline.com/2417395/semi-rad-life-bicycles

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I've had a lot more bikes, but man, the stories / bike average is sure a lot lower

This person could go toe to toe with nm destroying bikes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Friends:

I’m looking at getting an aero bike in 2021 which means I should probably order soon to get it sometime in the spring, maybe. I’m on a rim brake BMC Teammachine with Force 22 now that I’ll likely keep.

Requirements are disc brakes, electronic shifting and tubeless wheel compatibility out of the box. Preferences are SRAM Force 2x, a fully integrated cockpit, and a colorway that sparks joy in my life. I like to run 38cm bars so I’d need to swap the whole cockpit if its integrated.

The list that I started with:
Ridley Noah Fast
Giant Propel
Specialized Tarmac/Venge
Cervelo S5
Cannondale SystemSix
Orbea Orca Aero
BMC Timemachine Road
Canyon Aeroad
Scott Foil

Of these, I’ve narrowed it down to the SystemSix di2, Propel Advanced Pro 0, Aeroad SLX, and the Foil 10. Pros and cons.

SystemSix: Paint is decent, looks slick, has some deep wheels. Team price deal. Still quite expensive with discount, no SRAM option, stock integrated bars likely too wide.

Propel: Comes with PM, Giant’s crash policy, large dealer network. Paint isn’t thrilling, bars only go down to 40cm, and it’s pretty porky at 8.23kg.

Aeroad: Joint cheapest and the lightest, bars adjust down to 37cm and come off for transport, adjustable height stem and deep wheels. Only available online, the paint is boring, non-tubeless tires, older wheelset (ARC 1400), supposedly only +/-6 degree integrated stem/bar combo currently available.

Foil: By far the best paint of these 4, sold by a local shop that everyone loves, joint cheapest. Wheels aren’t as deep section as the others, stock integrated bars are likely too wide.

I’m leaning toward the Foil, then the Aeroad. Am I missing any other competing models or any major considerations? No Trek for me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Aeroad: Joint cheapest and the lightest, bars adjust down to 37cm and come off for transport, adjustable height stem and deep wheels. Only available online, the paint is boring, non-tubeless tires, older wheelset (ARC 1400), supposedly only +/-6 degree integrated stem/bar combo currently available.

Afaik, the Aeroad has close to the best aero among disc frames. The lack of the blue frame in the US is a huuuuge bummer though, and made me give up looking at it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Foil: By far the best paint

There's your answer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Afaik, the Aeroad has close to the best aero among disc frames. The lack of the blue frame in the US is a huuuuge bummer though, and made me give up looking at it.

I emailed them about the blue frame availability or even the white/black one that you can get on an Ultegra Di2 build and they told me basically no chance it’s happening anytime soon and just keep refreshing the site.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

There's your answer

It’s dreamy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kimbo305 posted:

I should do this but the Follis 672 story would make people cry.

(Not my actual bike, which I had for less than a year)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The cannondale integrated bars are two piece still- there's a stem and the bars bolt to it, so you can change just those if the stem is right.

LBS owner has a new one (the ultegra di2 himod) and we're the same size and I have his old supersix and have been meaning to try it out for awhile. It'd be a pretty good comparison as the wheels and tires and groups between his bike and mine are really similar. Anyway it seems nice but yeah, expensive. Cannondale thinks their wheels and cranks are worth a lot of money.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I help run the video game division of a rather diversified company. I've been in the game business since the dawn of history.

They are now doing stuff with eBikes and I help review them. First time I've ridden eBikes for anything more than a block.

I can see the appeal. They flatten the hills nicely.

But it's not for me. As a former fatty (understatement) I need all the calorie burn I can get.

Still fun to be able to bike as part of my job.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

The cannondale integrated bars are two piece still- there's a stem and the bars bolt to it, so you can change just those if the stem is right.

Anyway it seems nice but yeah, expensive. Cannondale thinks their wheels and cranks are worth a lot of money.

I imagine that's a concern -- having to pay retail to make the swap and then not being able to recoup that with the takeoff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

VideoGameVet posted:

I help run the video game division of a rather diversified company. I've been in the game business since the dawn of history.

They are now doing stuff with eBikes and I help review them. First time I've ridden eBikes for anything more than a block.

I can see the appeal. They flatten the hills nicely.

But it's not for me. As a former fatty (understatement) I need all the calorie burn I can get.

Still fun to be able to bike as part of my job.

Feel free to drop links to your reviews in the ebikes thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074&pagenumber=9#lastpost

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

holy moly would you look at that

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It does suck rear end that more places don't make areo width bars for aero bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

It does suck rear end that more places don't make areo width bars for aero bikes.

Hopefully Canyon’s bars catch on. I can’t see myself needing to change the position with any regularity but letting the end user find a position that works for them without having to buy a whole new bar is a nice touch. Plus the breakdown when you need to ship the bike.