Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

I find you can get indebted that will make good gunners. (Hiring them in a regular campaign I mean; not playing manhunters).
Just an observation: Indebted seem to have the stat ranges of low to mid tier bros from that region. In the south they are like nomads(Melee nomads I think since I've gotten pretty low ranged scored on any from there, but still 2 stars), regular bandits are like ye olde farmer/brawler, and north you get the cream: Wildmen! They start above 100 Fat the lot of them, and high HP too. At least this is what it seems like. I do not know if the ones you buy are rolled from different pools or if it's just southern based. Haven't bought too many since I like to recruit them wild :whip:

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Just an observation: Indebted seem to have the stat ranges of low to mid tier bros from that region. In the south they are like nomads(Melee nomads I think since I've gotten pretty low ranged scored on any from there, but still 2 stars), regular bandits are like ye olde farmer/brawler, and north you get the cream: Wildmen! They start above 100 Fat the lot of them, and high HP too. At least this is what it seems like. I do not know if the ones you buy are rolled from different pools or if it's just southern based. Haven't bought too many since I like to recruit them wild :whip:

Pretty sure you can’t get the better ones when you buy them. The potential stat ranges for bought ones are:

Hp 40-50
Matk 47-57
Ratk 32-42
Mdef and rdef 0-5
Fat 90-100
Res 25-40
Unit 95-105

They can never spawn with stars in health or resolve and they can’t have the tough or strong perk. The combo of low health and fatigue and lowish resolve means it’s hard to make them into decent melee bros; but if you get one with at least 40 ratk and 2-3 stars they’re fine as gunners - you get room to take gifted and colossus in a typical gunner build and gunners don’t need stamina or defence. Not being able to spawn with stars in health and resolve means you’re more likely to get stars in attack.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Do people have worse starting stats on veteran vs beginner? I'm seeing 20's and 30's resolve on most recruits in veteran and I thought everything under about 38 was super rare. I started a veteran game yesterday (just combat difficulty veteran, everything else on beginner) and holy poo poo it was hard. I was low on money all the time, getting wounded non stop, got more guys because even 5 was low at the start, got up to 8 by day 35 and was just getting wrecked. I bought armour and helmets so had everyone on 115-95 armour by day 35 and about 100 helmets, for the front row, and had only one archer and 1-2 pikemen of those 8. It was just too hard. I suppose whatever I was doing on beginner won't work at all on veteran, but I'm really not sure what I was even doing wrong. And I managed to buy 4 woods at cost and sell them to a rebuilding city, so I feel like I should have been able to do better. I felt like I was never levelled enough to go wrecking camps/crypts. I just went from town to town doing missions. Any general advice for veteran combat difficulty, and 'first hires', and how to equip them?

edit: now I'm trying the idea of moving from town to town at the start and hiring good people up to 5, instead of just 'hire the best in the first couple of towns even if they're not great'. At few people you need less money and food to survive a few days.

edit 2: lol. This second veteran run went badly. At 5 guys (1 crossbow, 4 shield guys) I was normally suffering one fatality against 7 thugs around day 5, this scenario happened about 5 times. I reloaded and redid battles a lot but it wasn't really feasible. I think I'm a 'beginner' kind of guy. Playing on veteran (for me) means a lot of reloading and running away even from thugs if there's a guy with a woodcutter axe or some other powerful weapon. I respect people who can play on veteran but I think it requires playing in a way I just don't like. I already reload sometimes on beginner and don't like it. I think an ironman veteran run would be almost impossible. I suppose there's some optimal way to play but I'm very far away from understanding what it actually is. I was hoping veteran would at least allow me to get better armour as some people said, but if there's a raider I need to kill him immediately because otherwise he'll murder one of my men every turn. On the odd occasion that I can finally dagger someone, I normally have a dog loose who destroys the guy's armour. I don't know, I want to get really into this but it's beyond me I think.

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 30, 2020

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I don't think stats change depending on difficulty, but I highly recommend poachers as a good starting company and the enemy scaling only starts at 6 dudes so there's no reason to have fewer than 6 in your company. After you get to 6 you can start being picky about recruits but before then find a daytaler with above 50 matk and give him a spear and shield and hope he lives long enough for you to fire him around day 40 for a nice nomad you just met.

In addition to contracts you can take off-road routes between towns and fight the early small camps and groups of weidergangers and thugs (even wolves once you get gambesons) to supplement income, equipment and experience. Not all camps are super tough, especially the close spawns early game and your lack of archers is probably hurting you quite a bit.

edit to respond to edit: losing one dude vs. 7 thugs on day 5 is okay! a lot of your losses in a run will happen early and as long as it wasn't a late-game feasible brother that is a totally acceptable loss; your other men have gained experience and equipment and you should be net positive from that encounter and moving forward in your campaign with that result. Assuming of course you get a piece of armor or upgraded equipment and the recruit was 300 or less.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 30, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think you just lose a bunch of times before you get the hang of it, honestly.

Going up to veteran is mostly about knowing who to target and who to throw in their way. Nothing is 100% safe but the scary guys, you can usually block them off with some schmuck using a shield and shieldwalling while you kill his friends, if you can't kill him before he gets to your line.

You're pretty much dead on the "hire any few bro's". Although you want to get to six guys, not five. The game scales for no lower than six and the extra body is incredibly useful, even if he's just sitting there with a shield and a wooden stick, spamming stun.

Ixtlilton posted:

I don't think stats change depending on difficulty, but I highly recommend poachers as a good starting company and the enemy scaling only starts at 6 dudes so there's no reason to have fewer than 6 in your company. After you get to 6 you can start being picky about recruits but before then find a daytaler with above 50 matk and give him a spear and shield and hope he lives long enough for you to fire him around day 40 for a nice nomad you just met.

In addition to contracts you can take off-road routes between towns and fight the early small camps and groups of weidergangers and thugs (even wolves once you get gambesons) to supplement income, equipment and experience. Not all camps are super tough, especially the close spawns early game and your lack of archers is probably hurting you quite a bit.

On beginner you get an additional chance to hit and your enemies get slightly less, if i recall.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

dogstile posted:

On beginner you get an additional chance to hit and your enemies get slightly less, if i recall.

ah yeah, I meant starting stats. He was referring to resolve on brothers on veteran being lower and I don't think that's a thing.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ixtlilton posted:

ah yeah, I meant starting stats. He was referring to resolve on brothers on veteran being lower and I don't think that's a thing.

Only thing I can think of is perhaps this is the first game with the new dlc? I understand the dlc tweaked some res values of lower valued brothers, which would be in line with what they are seeing.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Pretty sure that balance changes are applied to the core game. I do not have the newest dlc but my farmhands still have awful res for instance

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
I read somewhere (this thread? Steam?) That bros have a hidden +3 res per adjacent bro and -2 res malus per adjacent enemy and after 1000+ with this game (god, my life choices) i didnt know that and had no way of knowing that. So uh, a battle's a team effort.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

germlin posted:

I read somewhere (this thread? Steam?) That bros have a hidden +3 res per adjacent bro and -2 res malus per adjacent enemy and after 1000+ with this game (god, my life choices) i didnt know that and had no way of knowing that. So uh, a battle's a team effort.

I don't know about the numbers, but I know that it's a thing, yes. But I only think it's for resolve checks against the the bro, and does not affect fearsome and the like. There is a mod somewhere that shows the resolve rolls, I may have a look for it. When fighting geists with weak bro's and no banner, I often bunch them up in a circle with max amount of bro's adjacent, and it seems to help. Purely anecdotal though.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I haven't played in awhile but holy poo poo finally got around to picking up a handgonne for one of my higher level crossbowbros. Makes defeating the bumrush to my line way easier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

germlin posted:

It's not overly hidden, that's what underdog is for :v:

Well, technically, underdog is for the to hit bonus that people get against you, but have you ever moved your 2h guy next to a breaking dude and he immediately starts to rout? That's the big sign.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 2, 2020

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

dogstile posted:

It's not overly hidden, that's what underdog is for :v:

Well, technically, underdog is for the to hit bonus that people get against you, but have you ever moved your 2h guy next to a breaking dude and he immediately starts to rout? That's the big sign.

That's just the resolve check for when an enemy unit moves to an adjacent tile. What Germlin is saying is that the resolve check of the unit is affected by who is already next to said unit.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Underdog has nothing to do with resolve at all.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yes bude, i've already put the edit in before you posted, thanks :P I wasn't being entirely serious, hence the :v:

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

That's just the resolve check for when an enemy unit moves to an adjacent tile. What Germlin is saying is that the resolve check of the unit is affected by who is already next to said unit.

This i didn't know. I thought that was the same check.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This is why I like to read the wiki. You learn all sorts of juicy tidbits.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

This is why I like to read the wiki. You learn all sorts of juicy tidbits.

I like to do this too. And then I forget what I read, notice something odd, and go look it up, to learn it all again. Neverending loop of joy it is.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yup, so many mechanics, easy enough to forget the specifics.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I get the feeling that the map generation could have used a tiny bit more love. I've been rolling a few maps to start a fresh run with the new dlc(:toot:) and the north often ends up weirdly squashed with very little snow in the areas you care about

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Speaking of maps- it has always low key bothered me that the edges of the map presumably lead to more lands but you can't keep going. If the edges were the BB equivalent of Mt Everest or an ocean it probably wouldn't bother me as much because those are reasonable natural barriers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Giant walls on the left and right. Every now and again you get attacked by "forces from beyond". That'd be cool.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like a logical way to expand a BB2 would be to have a big world map comprised of regions that are the size of BB1 maps- and you can travel between regions.

That way you could have maps that are say 80% desert/snow/green. Or areas that are filled with fjords/rivers where traveling by boat is a necessity. etc etc

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 4, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Make you get hired from one to another a little after you beat the crisis-----you get thrown directly into a bigger crisis in the new map which declines so you have two on one map.

Or..... If you get massacred and have one or two dudes left, you decide to change maps for greener pastures, like the Books of the South in The Black Company since the game borrows so much already.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got the feeling from how fast they initially moved on that Overhype probably would prefer to do something else- but if they end up doing a BB2 it actually seems like kind of a difficult task.

What can you add to a BB2 to expand the scope of the game (yes yes, add all of the QOL mods), but avoid cluttering it up with poo poo?

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Lootboxes and a real money action house would be nice. And a launcher, definitely a launcher. Oh! And faction DLC's. (Insert troll emoticon of choice here)

Expanding on walls and fortifications would be cool. Perhaps with the option to build your own when camping or the like. Of course, this would add all the problems of how to deal with the things. Ladders, siege engines and all that. It's technically doable in the current engine, but I doubt the AI would be up to it without a full rewrite.

I like the idea of being able to switch maps. Perhaps more challenges and rewarding loot on the next map, when you've exhausted the current map. A bit like a new chapter. If you get slaughtered you can limp back to the old one and rebuild. Some softer starts may be a thing for people starting out. Like the gladiators where you can hang around the city and fight matches for experience and money, separating wheat from chaff, and set out into the wilds once the city no longer lets you grow. Get some pacing into the emerging story. Start out as a thieves guild or a fighters guild (elder scrolls ftw), and start taking missions further afield as experience and equipment accrue.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I said this a long long time ago but I think the engine would be good enough for a story driven campaign in the style of the fire emblem games :allears:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think a sequel would be well set up for being able to set up and develop your own stronghold. It would give you something to do with all your lategame cash, and it would give you a way to swap bros in and out of your main company without fully retiring them or having them die. If you wanted to get really into it, you could even go full Mount and Blade and let the player set up their own faction building on that one stronghold.

Also horses. And ships that are more than just a way to fast travel.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Genuinely think they are missing a step not releasing some kind of cavalry expansion. Knights up north, mamelukes in the south. It'd be so cool. Camels too pls.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

There are many depressing situations in this game and while you gradually become used to most of them it never stops to sting when you check a smith in the early/mid game and see 3+ famed items in their shop :negative:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tin Tim posted:

There are many depressing situations in this game and while you gradually become used to most of them it never stops to sting when you check a smith in the early/mid game and see 3+ famed items in their shop :negative:
I get more annoyed when I see 2-3 famed weapons at a weaponsmith and they're all absolutely dogshit rolls.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I had a 288 armor -26 fatigue or thereabouts for 45k in a shop when I had 30k near the end of a campaign one time, that one hurt. It's always great getting pieces like that because suddenly a dude who can only hit 120 fatigue or something can be a late game frontliner.

Or my last run I didn't see a single swordlance until day 80 (but I got 3 warscytches on day 40 so I can't really complain, big upside of expert there)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I get more annoyed when I see 2-3 famed weapons at a weaponsmith and they're all absolutely dogshit rolls.

This. I am savvy enough to not blow a big chunk of cash on a unique whose only benefits over the standard weapon are, say, durability and shield damage. But I'm so tempted when it's a cool-looking one.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Nomad outlaws are pretty hard to hit, huh? Took a three skull contract that turned out to be 17 of them with a leader and I barely got it done without deaths. Had like 5 people on death's door at the end with most of them running around the map to not get sniped in the last couple of turns. Tbf I haven't transitioned into 2h dps yet so that probably made it worse than it needed to be but those guys surely are a step above raiders :gibs:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I lost a twenty-battle veteran barbarian the first time I ran into those assholes

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Swords are good against nomads, don't have much armour. And when that's gone, whips :whip: Quite a few with paper helmets, so flails are nice, especially since they tend to have shields.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

What are your picks for the retuine? I'm just rolling with the scout for now because I don't really see much reason to spend the money for the other effects I could get right now but I'm looking to the future so to speak.

Also is there a good strat for getting the sergeant? I haven't had a permanent injury so far and I'm closing in on day 100

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Tin Tim posted:

What are your picks for the retuine? I'm just rolling with the scout for now because I don't really see much reason to spend the money for the other effects I could get right now but I'm looking to the future so to speak.

Also is there a good strat for getting the sergeant? I haven't had a permanent injury so far and I'm closing in on day 100

generally I go scout or the kid who gives you tools and ammo first (he pays for himself pretty quickly) and for drill sergeant you just find a garbage hire who has survivor and put him in a tank spot until he gets dropped.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Tin Tim posted:

I use both the scout and the tracker(movement speed guy). Getting places faster and seeing further is most of the mid game I find. The cartographer is great when you're first setting out into the wilderness. Stand on some mountains, and he'll pretty much cover the expenses for the excursion. Scavenger is good for reclaiming tools and ammo, so you don't have to go into town that fast, and tools get pretty expensive in a heavy armour troupe. Quartermaster for longer excursions as well, along with the best cart you can buy.

The minstrel can be nice early on, as you get more renown and that = more pay, and earlier noble contracts.
The sergeant is also pretty nice early when you really need some leveled guys, but later you may find yourself a bit pressed for slots, as they are all quite good depending on your goals. Ixtlilton's idea is the easiest to get him early, if you're not running peasants and decide to kill off the chaff instead of firing.

Cook is one I might keep permanently, especially if you run an lot of nimble guys. Getting health back up fast and making the food last means you can raid locations pretty much non-stop.
For battle tanks the same is true for the smith, and if you're running iron man he may be more important since he can save armours from accidental deaths.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I find it’s best to get the sergeant first; (like others have said, you can just hire someone with survivor; but if you end up getting the Surgeon first you can just use any random beggar) but you tend to want to replace the sergeant once you’ve got a full 12/16 on the field - it’s not worth it just to be leveling up one guy at a time as you tend to do late game.

Other than that; I really like having the kid; the surgeon, the blacksmith and the bounty hunter. The last slot that you free up after you fire the drill sergeant can be whatever - get the cook for max healing or one of the ones that boosts your income in some way like the cartographer.

The recruiter can be useful if you’re playing an origin with special hiring needs like cultists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've fallen deep into this game, can't believe I tried it out when it was relatively newish and it didn't sink it's hooks into me. I might have turned myself off of it by diving into a normal game instead of easy, and ragequit from how difficult it was. It's addicting, and every time one of my bros die, I feel it. I'm trying to wean myself off of save scumming, but I don't think I'm strong enough not to immediately reload if I lose one of my original starting guys.

I've installed a mod that breaks archers, which is frustrating, but I can't figure out which one causes it. Whenever they stand near dead bodies, the game thinks they're in combat.