Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

"Give me the most 90s you've got!"

"Oh god! Too 90s! Too 90s!"

It feels like a proto-90s style, while also being a a knock off of 90s style. Kind of like if someone working at DC in the 90s described to an artist a comic panel that was done by someone working at Marvel in the 90s who was doing a comic panel described to them by someone working at Malibu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Random Stranger posted:

not mine, but i do remember the ads for this book in wizard and thinking nawwww i'm good
jesus christ liefeld

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zer0spunk posted:

not mine, but i do remember the ads for this book in wizard and thinking nawwww i'm good
jesus christ liefeld

Who's in the bottom right? That's not supposed to be Bucky is it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zer0spunk posted:

jesus christ liefeld

At least his chest looks proportionate to his body. His face though is sending out major Charlie Kirk vibes

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Whoa, unkind words for (admittedly still pretty early in his career) Stuart Immonen!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like how Tony designed his suit to have facsimile roided out neck muscles

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I like how Tony designed his suit to have facsimile roided out neck muscles

That's just what transistors looked like back then.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Who's in the bottom right? That's not supposed to be Bucky is it?

Heroes Reborn had a female Bucky in the present day, she eventually ended up in the regular Marvel universe

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Heroes Reborn had a female Bucky in the present day, she eventually ended up in the regular Marvel universe

I don't have a problem with that concept, I very much have a problem with that drawing.

Maybe she can go to physical therapy Enchantress?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

this is how i introduce people at parties

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Squatting on the ground to make a dramatic first impression

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Squatting on the ground to make a dramatic first impression

I'm gonna try this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

russians have been doing it for years to great success

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

She had a very strange journey that culminated in being Julie Power’s muscle wife.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Rusty, no!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

One day left to submit gang tags for the great big gang tag drive! Be sure to whip something up quick if you're interested in making one!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The Joe Kubert School uploaded their old correspondence course videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDENBFJnDCSjhPOmh9TtJeQ

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:siren: The gang tags submissions are in, so now it's time to vote on which ones you want to actually make into full-fledged gang tags!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Anyone remember Bloodlines, the crossover among the DC comics annuals in the early 90's? The correct answer to that is "No" if you don't, and "No" while pulling a gun on the person who mentioned it if you do. The schtick for the annuals that year was that there were aliens who stuck their jaws into people to suck out their fluids and occasionally one of their victims survived and got powers. Each annual introduced a new character who would surely be the sensational character find of 1993.

(Oddly enough Marvel had the exact same gimmick for their annuals that year though they didn't bother with a wrapper story for it and instead gave you trading cards of all their new characters.)

Needless to say out of the 20+ characters introduced, exactly one stuck around. And Tommy Monaghan glossed over the alien bite part of his origin.

The Legion of Superheroes contribution to the pile was Jamm, an "extreme" skater dude who spoke like a sixty year old trying to write hip lingo. He gets accidentally pulled into the future in a really stupid plot device after his alien attack. Jamm gets the power of mind control and as soon as he realized he can do it he abducts new mother Night Girl telling her to abandon the infant, and then as they're cruising away Jamm has her strip naked. The scene cuts away at that point letting reader decide if Jamm went any further.

And then he does it again to Shadow Lass who laughs it off.

Eventually Jamm learns his lesson because orders he gave put his life in jeopardy, and that's good enough for everybody involved.

Tom and Mary Bierbaum are responsible for this story and it's a real, "What the gently caress were they thinking!?" one. It's definitely in the running for the most unpleasant Legion story, not taking the top spot because they've also been writing stories about how Legion villain Mordru has been raping and torturing Legion member White Witch for years (but you see, it was all his plan to make her hate him so he could absorb her power...).

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Random Stranger posted:

Anyone remember Bloodlines, the crossover among the DC comics annuals in the early 90's? The correct answer to that is "No" if you don't, and "No" while pulling a gun on the person who mentioned it if you do. The schtick for the annuals that year was that there were aliens who stuck their jaws into people to suck out their fluids and occasionally one of their victims survived and got powers. Each annual introduced a new character who would surely be the sensational character find of 1993.

(Oddly enough Marvel had the exact same gimmick for their annuals that year though they didn't bother with a wrapper story for it and instead gave you trading cards of all their new characters.)

Needless to say out of the 20+ characters introduced, exactly one stuck around. And Tommy Monaghan glossed over the alien bite part of his origin.

The Legion of Superheroes contribution to the pile was Jamm, an "extreme" skater dude who spoke like a sixty year old trying to write hip lingo. He gets accidentally pulled into the future in a really stupid plot device after his alien attack. Jamm gets the power of mind control and as soon as he realized he can do it he abducts new mother Night Girl telling her to abandon the infant, and then as they're cruising away Jamm has her strip naked. The scene cuts away at that point letting reader decide if Jamm went any further.

And then he does it again to Shadow Lass who laughs it off.

Eventually Jamm learns his lesson because orders he gave put his life in jeopardy, and that's good enough for everybody involved.

Tom and Mary Bierbaum are responsible for this story and it's a real, "What the gently caress were they thinking!?" one. It's definitely in the running for the most unpleasant Legion story, not taking the top spot because they've also been writing stories about how Legion villain Mordru has been raping and torturing Legion member White Witch for years (but you see, it was all his plan to make her hate him so he could absorb her power...).

That’s terrible. I had only ever seen Jamm in the Bloodbath issues and trading cards and found him annoying from that.

I received the entire set of bloodlines cards as a Christmas gift in 93 so I have a bit of a soft spot for some of these characters. I think Nightblade, Geist, Loose Cannon and a few others were fine.

But Jamm always seemed lame. Just as lame was calling a mixed race character who was powered by rage Mongrel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not GambitGunfire got his own series somehow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There were quite a few series launched out of the crossover because it was the early 90's and the name of the game was to pump out as many comics as you could regardless of quality.

As far as I can tell Jamm never appeared again after the Legion annual or the closing book of the Bloodlines crossover.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Rhyno posted:

So did Anima. Sparx was part of a team in the 90s too, either Titans or the Ravers. Lionheart stuck around the Justice League books for a bit but I don’t think he was used after Zero Hour. There was also a Blood Pack miniseries but I don’t think any of those characters appeared again until getting killed off in Infinite Crisis. There is a surprisingly fun issue of Justice League Task Force with Joe Public, Loose Cannon and a few others.

Please contact your local library for more info about Bloodlines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Loose Cannon got a 4 issue mini!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember being at the right age where I was reading any comic I could get my hands on (not many) and the aliens from Bloodlines scaring the poo poo out of me. I dared myself to read...the Justice League annual I think it was. Just something about those aliens.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rhyno posted:

I've never really read anything with him in it, but always thought he had a decent gimmick amd while he definitely had a 90's look and name to him it wasn't one that was embarrassingly so

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Which one showed up in Azbats era Batman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Argus?

No wait, that was Flash. Also got a mini. I also recall that a lot of the Bloodlines guys made appearances in the Showcase anthology throughout the run.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Here is a list of Bloodlines characters. It includes the annuals in which they made their first appearance, and by clicking on each name a hyperlink directs you to a profile page for the individual character. The linked webpage profiles will also reveal what appearances each character made after their initial appearance in a Bloodline Annual.

The characters of Ballistic, Cardinal Sin, Geist, Joe Public, and Razorsharp all debuted in Batbook Annuals, during a period in which Azrael was Batman. I leave it as an exercise for those bold and committed enough to do the research to determine if any of them appeared in other Batman comic books of the period.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Looks like it was Ballistic. He helps Azbats fight a gang full of members of a former punk band in the middle of Azbats search for Abattoir, which eventually leads to him going over the edge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ballistic had the gross armor skin right? He had no offensive powers so he used guns.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

WTF there was a biracial dude they named “Mongrel?” Holy moley!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splint Chesthair posted:

WTF there was a biracial dude they named “Mongrel?” Holy moley!

The 90s were a different time. I'd be shocked if he wasn't a Chuck Dixon creation. Which book was he in again?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The 90s were a different time. I'd be shocked if he wasn't a Chuck Dixon creation. Which book was he in again?

Hawkman, so blame John Ostrander and Tim Truman for that one.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno, make sure you're sitting down for this. Have a glass of water on hand if you need to.
John Ostrander

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it.

That is very frustrating.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Ballistic had the gross armor skin right? He had no offensive powers so he used guns.

Yeah. And the stupid chin tusks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Geist could turn invisible or something? And Nightblade could regrow severed limbs instantly and he made throwing knives out of a kitchen knife set.

I hate that I remember this.

Edit: and Layla the girl Lobo.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s the new game show that’s sweeping the nation, “DC Bloodlines Character or Mid-Series Mortal Kombat Character?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yeah. And the stupid chin tusks.

Ballistic was the one who looked like Ravage 2099 right?