Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Portugal does it for the people of goa born before 1961, and for people in east-timor born before independence in 2002, which I though was pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Portugal does it for the people of goa born before 1961, and for people in east-timor born before independence in 2002, which I though was pretty decent.

Yeah, Portugal at least did something right on the macau return and let anyone who didn't feel comfortable staying under chinese rule move to Portugal or anywhere in the EU with a Portuguese passport, unlike the british with their 20 different citizenships and a hong kong passport that didn't let them live in the UK.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Badger of Basra posted:

Given how they act about other immigrants my guess is Danish people would probably be far more upset about it.
Well, they wouldn't (automatically) be immigrants, but yes, someone would probably attempt to assassinate whichever PM did this. Would probably be a slightly easier sell if we got the islands back in the process, though the right isn't particularly happy about Greenland "spending our money" which would apply here too, but it'd please the romantic imperialists. Plus, tropical paradise where you could force everyone to speak Danish! Perfect location for retirement communities.

Speaking of Greenland and the Virgin Islands, reading up on the issue I found someone who figured the Danish state should have carved out a state for Virgin Islanders in the vein of Sierra Leone or Liberia, possibly on Greenland or Iceland back in 1917. That man was a senator. Obviously the proper solution would have been to set up an autonomous state in southern Schleswig post-WWI.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Aside from Golden Dawn, what are the most extreme right wing parties in EU?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Of the governing ones? Fidesz and Prawo i Sprawiedliwość, probably.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Not just the governing ones. I often hear about neo-nazis entering parliament in this or that EU country but I don't remember the names of those parties.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Doctor Malaver posted:

Aside from Golden Dawn, what are the most extreme right wing parties in EU?

I'd say PVV (party for freedom) and FvD(Forum for Democracy) are up there. (Parties in The Netherlands btw)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jobbik from Hungary, being to the right of Orban himself.

Though to be fair they only have 1 MEP.

e: More broadly there's these three groups of shitheads, but some are less radical than others.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 6, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

An insane mind posted:

I'd say PVV (party for freedom) and FvD(Forum for Democracy) are up there. (Parties in The Netherlands btw)

The Danish policies come to mind as well

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

afd

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Italy has fratelli d'italia, which has been gaining considerable ground in the polls, in the wake of the last exterme right gov's collapse

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Vox in Spain.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Isn't there a further right one in Germany that's basically literal nazis rather than nazis lite?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

suck my woke dick posted:

fishermen voting to blow up trade relations with the main buyers of their fish before realising they just voted to blow up trade relations with the main buyers of their fish is very brexit.txt

It gets better. England sold 60% of its quotas to foreign corporations.. In contrast to Scotland, Norway, France etc which... didn't.

The emotional bond to the industry mostly sold to the highest bidder among foreign corporations truly runs deep in England.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

Not just the governing ones. I often hear about neo-nazis entering parliament in this or that EU country but I don't remember the names of those parties.

I think Kotleba in Slovakia are the currently most successfully "actually the Nazis did nothing wrong and Hitler was a swell guy" party

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cicero posted:

Isn't there a further right one in Germany that's basically literal nazis rather than nazis lite?

That's a distinction without a difference. The AfD cannibalised all the voters of the NPD. The state tried to ban the NPD, which failed because the state's security apparatus had funnelled so much money and personnel into the NPD it was hard to tell which who was "organic" and who was an informant. A court then ruled that while the NPD wants to destroy democracy, they don't pose a credible threat (a condition for banning a party). Mostly because Nazis vote AfD nowadays…

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

That's a distinction without a difference. The AfD cannibalised all the voters of the NPD. The state tried to ban the NPD, which failed because the state's security apparatus had funnelled so much money and personnel into the NPD it was hard to tell which who was "organic" and who was an informant. A court then ruled that while the NPD wants to destroy democracy, they don't pose a credible threat (a condition for banning a party). Mostly because Nazis vote AfD nowadays…

Looks like the Nazis have to try again soon, several Länder have started contemplating an AfD-Verbot.

If that circle repeats, eventually another new Nazi-party will eat all their votes and the AfD-ban will fail because it has become a useless shell of its former self.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Libluini posted:

Looks like the Nazis have to try again soon, several Länder have started contemplating an AfD-Verbot.

If that circle repeats, eventually another new Nazi-party will eat all their votes and the AfD-ban will fail because it has become a useless shell of its former self.

Once they've run out of three-letter sequences the Nazis will finally be vanquished.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Once they've run out of three-letter sequences the Nazis will finally be vanquished.

Eh, they can just go to five letter sequences. Back to the roots and all…

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Vlaams Belang in is Flanders'/Belgium's most right wing party, but they recently kicked out someone who honoured the war grave of an SS volunteer. So they're not openly in favour of fascism/Nazis.

If she didn't post pictures on Instagram she'd have been fine though.

They also recently started their own web show with interviews and 'news' because the mainstream media is all liars and fake.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Cicero posted:

Nah. Originally the AFD united all nazi lite to literal nazi parties under one brand.

Nowadays they are shedding the nazi lite parts and only the literally nazi parts remain.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Chega in Portugal
Vox in Spain
Front National in France
Vlaams Belang in Belgium
Partij voor de Vrijheid & Forum voor Democratie in The Netherlands
Alternative für Deutschland in Germany
Dansk Folkeparti & Nye Borgerlige in Denmark
Sverigedemokraterna in Sweden
Perussuomalaiset in Finland
Prawo i Sprawiedliwość & Konfederacja Wolność i Niepodległość in Poland
Fidesz & Jobbik in Hungary
Lega Nord & Fratelli d'Italia in Italy

I don't know enough about the other countries to answer for them.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Chega in Portugal
Vox in Spain
Front National in France
Vlaams Belang in Belgium
Partij voor de Vrijheid & Forum voor Democratie in The Netherlands
Alternative für Deutschland in Germany
Dansk Folkeparti & Nye Borgerlige in Denmark
Perussuomalaiset in Finland
Prawo i Sprawiedliwość & Konfederacja Wolność i Niepodległość in Poland
Fidesz & Jobbik in Hungary
Lega Nord & Fratelli d'Italia in Italy

I don't know enough about the other countries to answer for them.

How could you of all people forget UKIP and Brexit Party.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

lemonadesweetheart posted:

How could you of all people forget UKIP and Brexit Party.
They won, they’re not part of the EU.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks, everyone. In the category "dress and march around like nazis" it looks like Jobbik and Kotleba get the prize.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks, everyone. In the category "dress and march around like nazis" it looks like Jobbik and Kotleba get the prize.

Wilders (PVV) does the Hitler has a signature look thing pretty well. He has this stupid shock of peroxide whitened hair.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

nimby posted:

Vlaams Belang in is Flanders'/Belgium's most right wing party, but they recently kicked out someone who honoured the war grave of an SS volunteer. So they're not openly in favour of fascism/Nazis.

If she didn't post pictures on Instagram she'd have been fine though.
They're mostly not in favour of that member saying: "gently caress off" when she was asked to let the party moderate her social media output.

If she would have let them control her nazi output, she'd still be a member.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/eu-leaders-unlock-historic-e1-8-trillion-budget-deal/

Unable to stop the outflanking maneuver, Poland and Hungary retreat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

What's the actual result of the "Don't be a jerk" clauses? Is it going to stop anti-LGBT zones in Poland or is it just lip service?

I know it's the EU, I'm going to guess it's the latter.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 11, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Well first the court has to rule that Poland and Hungary are actually doing things that are against the EU treaties they have signed.

Who knows how long that will take. And then that ruling needs to have some kind of consequence attached, which I'm told it has, but is still vague to me exactly what that is. And then that ruling and consequence will need to be enforced. By who and how exactly? Who knows.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Orban is going to be able to win another election on his platform before this makes it out of the courts, so it's a win for him.

Apparently there's no complete consensus in the Polish government about the whole thing, so we'll have to see how it plays out.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

nimby posted:

Orban is going to be able to win another election on his platform before this makes it out of the courts, so it's a win for him.

Apparently there's no complete consensus in the Polish government about the whole thing, so we'll have to see how it plays out.

Admittedly, PIS's popularity took a fairly deep dive in October but it is unclear if it is more COVID related.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Dems should learn with portuguese gov, they're set on #abolishingICE after a man died by immigration agents' hands, only they're rolling its functions over into the police

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Honest Thief posted:

Dems should learn with portuguese gov, they're set on #abolishingICE after a man died by immigration agents' hands, only they're rolling its functions over into the police

CBP/Customs and ICE are all 3 hosed in different ways but they would just straight be open firing on people at the border if they were run like US police.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Sweden also has AfS which is modeled after AfD but they got all of 0.3% of the vote in 2018 so all the neonazis just vote SD instead.

SD got 17.5% in 2018 and has been getting more popular since then, mostly because the ruling S/MP coalition cannot seem to stop shooting their own feet.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I present to you, the sick man of Europe:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1339506110265438210

Edit: Oops!

Kassad fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 17, 2020

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Very amusing how the EU looked at the common factor of every failed confederation ever: unanimity requirements that allow one annoying member to veto critical proposals and gently caress over the whole team, and said "hell yeah let's do that"

I've been giving some thoughts to how the EU 'ought' to be organized, if your goal is further federalization.

Perhaps the EU parliament should become a bicameral legislature. A new EU senate would consist of senators directly elected by the people, one per member state. This would replace the European Commission. The existing EU parliament should be trimmed down a bit (750 members is very unwieldy), and elected by pan-european elections, with the same ballot in every country. This would require political parties to appeal to the entire EU population, and would promote integration. I think it's important to avoid a district or country based system, as this always leads to a two-party situation, and disenfranchised voters.

The voting weights are up for debate. Currently the 'senate' requires unanimity, which allows single member states to blackmail the entire block. If you aim for full integration you could adopt legislation on 50% vote in both houses, or alternatively you could settle for a system where bills need 50% of the parliament and 2/3d or 3/4th of the senate.

Of course nothing like this will ever happen.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't like the idea of tiny member states holding as much power in a house as giant ones. Luxembourg gets a senator, and Germany gets a senator. That's the American senate system, and it's terrible.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Philonius posted:

The existing EU parliament should be trimmed down a bit (750 members is very unwieldy)
It's smaller than the legislature of some EU states. 750 members is also almost exactly the cube root of the total population, which is about where most countries end up, so I'm not sure why it really needs to be smaller.

Actually, what does unwieldy even mean here?

Gort posted:

I don't like the idea of tiny member states holding as much power in a house as giant ones. Luxembourg gets a senator, and Germany gets a senator. That's the American senate system, and it's terrible.
Just split up Germany then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, what does unwieldy even mean here?

More people to bribe, making corporate lobbying less efficient