Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Saman posted:

I realized just now that I meant Hell's Kitchen rather than Kitchen Nightmares, tho even on the latter the US version is much crueler to the participants than the UK version. I'm mostly talking about the manufactured discord that became the bread and butter of modern 'reality' TV in the wake of like, Big Brother popularizing the antagonistic narrative between participants. Gordon Ramsay himself is a genuinely good (or presents himself as such) person with a very critical eye towards his passion so I allow him his dick tendencies because he works so hard to genuinely make a functioning outfit in the end and has genuine moments of care and connection with people outside of the angry yelling man show

yeah it's night and day how US shows are made compared to other countries. Fox et al specifically edits up the YELLING DRAMA MAN 100000% because poo poo sells $$$ to the mushy americana boomers. cruelty is the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Is the trillbillies good

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Saman posted:

Gordon Ramsay himself is a genuinely good (or presents himself as such) person with a very critical eye towards his passion so I allow him his dick tendencies because he works so hard to genuinely make a functioning outfit in the end and has genuine moments of care and connection with people outside of the angry yelling man show

ramsay's mentor marco pierre white is way more unhinged and terrifying. he made gordon ramsay cry on camera

and now he does ads for prepackaged seasonings and stock

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is the trillbillies good

yes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hooplah posted:

i dunno, gordon ramsay has always struck me as having a genuine drive for making the restaurants and people he does shows on put a real passion and drive into their cooking. like the dude just really loves good food and making it the right way. if you watch past the first critical third a lot of episodes are actually pretty uplifting stuff

at least i often come away from it with a better understanding of what a high functioning kitchen looks like and why a person would pursue that. it's not a bad show beside the typical reality tv trappings it gets caught up in

not really sure why he got into the hotel business with that one show, but you can definitely tell the difference between Gordon Ramsey being into someone's cooking being neglected and Gordon Ramsey just dragging his jaw around

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Xaris posted:

yeah it's night and day how US shows are made compared to other countries. Fox et al specifically edits up the YELLING DRAMA MAN 100000% because poo poo sells $$$ to the mushy americana boomers. cruelty is the point

check out The Pack.

it's American, essentially The Amazing Race, but with people and their dogs, and relentlessly positive.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is the trillbillies good

yes!!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dont watch tv

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is the trillbillies good

yeah with some caveats. i generally don't keep up with it and only listen to it when i exhaust whatever else was on my plate so im usually like months behind. one of the hosts narc'd on himself to cops and then flipped to voting biden lol

still it's decent to shake things up for an appalachian podcast instead of an incestuous brooklynite clique

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

there’s also a british sewing one which is also quite lovely

then you see what’s on us television and it’s like a Speedball of violence and obviously manufactured editing to make everyone look evil

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if americans are just inheriently more evil and cruel, ever thought of that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Decided to check the latest episode of Michael Moore's podcast since it was good before he became Biden-brained and Thomas Frank is on, and oh my god Moore is so pathetic. He has the gall to try and paint Kamala as being to the left somehow.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

coprades

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

THS posted:

dont watch tv

i just watch clips of kitchen nightmares on yt. no tv required

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

T-man posted:

what if americans are just inheriently more evil and cruel, ever thought of that

than the British?

maybe differently evil and cruel

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the lady that bad faith got on the episode with cornel west sucks so bad, goddamn, maybe the worst guest they've ever had. also, since brie is directing the interviews with the black panelists, it's highlighted a big difference with virgil's interview style of getting the interviewee's thoughts out as opposed to brie's style of trying to litigate/solve an issue. probably something to do with brie being a lawyer and virgil being more of a writer.

new dry boys chapo very good. t2 very good, one of 8 laserdiscs i have.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

it bogged my mind when I first turned on the Telly and there was jolly old gordonuvnor throwing himself a right swallopping temper tantrum

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Hooplah posted:

i dunno, gordon ramsay has always struck me as having a genuine drive for making the restaurants and people he does shows on put a real passion and drive into their cooking. like the dude just really loves good food and making it the right way. if you watch past the first critical third a lot of episodes are actually pretty uplifting stuff
i remember he sacked a shitload of people immediately when covid shutdowns started in the US instead of riding it out even a month or so. not a reason to not watch reruns or whatever but not great stuff

does anyone know the Episode 1 episode with Mike Hale playing a yokel named Skeeter or something and they inquire into his love life and he says something like well, I like what the new thing they got nowadays. have you seen these PAWGs?

corn haver has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Dec 5, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

I listened to this and it was good so I've been working my way through their backlog

their voices are very relaxed, a lot of other stuff like chapo can be a bit high energy if I'm trying to get to sleep or something

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

i am salivating for the next annual episode of Till Death Do Us Blart

by the way, this came out, and it was a commentary track. after having heard so much about it, i have now finally technically seen Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i think of demons posted:

i remember he sacked a shitload of people immediately when covid shutdowns started in the US instead of riding it out even a month or so. not a reason to not watch reruns or whatever but not great stuff
i just assume anyone in the public making money has a sac of pus and bile where a soul should be, so none of this is surprising

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

does anyone know the Episode 1 episode with Mike Hale playing a yokel named Skeeter or something and they inquire into his love life and he says something like well, I like what the new thing they got nowadays. have you seen these PAWGs?

this one?

https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/e1-red-camaro-poster-47

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
yeah that's it

fer my money, ain't nothin better than a big ole PAWG rear end... sometimes they git the camera all upside of there, like what are they doin' there... this one feature, i think there was two fellas, i think it was like a blooper or somethin'

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

THS posted:

dont watch tv

i watch TV on 1.5 speed

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I've heard Ramsay is also a prick in real life, but I might have him and Jamie Oliver mixed up.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

this one feature, i think there was two fellas, i think it was like a blooper or somethin'

ma'am, are these fellers botherin ya?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Serbia was right

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hooplah posted:

at least i often come away from it with a better understanding of what a high functioning kitchen looks like and why a person would pursue that. it's not a bad show beside the typical reality tv trappings it gets caught up in

I like 24 hours to hell and back because it's like entirely this unless the restaurant has a boss who's a gigantic dick or whatever, but he always genuinely seems to want to help these people get on their feet.

Master Chef Jr is fun because he's basically cool uncle Gordon to a bunch of small children. One time they were making fruit tarts and a girl forgot to add graham crackers to the mix for the crust and started to freak out and gordon just runs over and is like oh, oh no, what's wrong, it's ok we can fix this, see? And it was the sweetest thing.

Dumper Humper has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Dec 5, 2020

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Dumper Humper posted:

I like 24 hours to hell and back because it's like entirely this unless the restaurant has a boss who's a gigantic dick or whatever, but he always genuinely seems to want to help these people get on their feet.

Master Chef Jr is fun because he's basically cool uncle Gordon to a bunch of small children. One time they were making fruit tarts and a girl forgot to add graham crackers to the mix for the crust and started to freak out and gordon just runs over and is like oh, oh no, what's wrong, it's ok we can fix this, see? And it was the sweetest thing.

did any of this prepare you for the brutality of working a cushy work from home ios support job with apple, where you couldnt even complain in the work chat :smith:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

still find it really weird that qanonanonymous had a trafficking expert on who said there is no documented proof of child trafficking ever happening and then in the same segment they started talking about epstein. lol wut.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gh0stpinballa posted:

still find it really weird that qanonanonymous had a trafficking expert on who said there is no documented proof of child trafficking ever happening and then in the same segment they started talking about epstein. lol wut.

Yeah that was something.

Travis losing his mind the last 2 months has been good though. He cracked pinged at the same moment Julian turned back to his old lib self.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Trash Ops posted:

did any of this prepare you for the brutality of working a cushy work from home ios support job with apple, where you couldnt even complain in the work chat :smith:

Lmao thinking call centers are cushy. It's real great being chained to a desk in a room with the door shut all day with your every second micromanaged to maximize profit to the point you cant take a piss if it's not your break.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It was nice being able to work in gym shorts all day I guess, that one was the one upside to it. Call centers should be abolished.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Gordon Ramsey's best content is on TikTok now. He does blind reactions to people's crazy recipes and it's good. Sadly people are catching on that they can use him to go viral and are making intentionally bad food just to get Gordon to respond, so the good content might not last much longer.

Xaris posted:

I've gotten into 90DF lately cause I'm garbage, and I hate that it was still produced for traditional TV. They still do the commercial break teasers that are insanely misleading and sometimes replay content that was shown before the break. It would be so much better if it was edited with the intention of being watched in one unbroken streaming block.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

:shrug:

And then there was the scandal where an internet person tried to hire themselves as a sensitivty reader for the podcast, and threw a temper tantrum when no one on the show wanted to accept said offer to join the cast and have control over what happened on it, resulting in this very carefully worded legal statement:

A bit interesting that someone with supposedly extensive experience being bullied online would attempt to online bully their way into a job, but (probably) not a sex thing.

Parasocial relationships is one thing but parasocial employment absolute god tier poo poo

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I watched A Few Good Men for the first time since the 90s and with no sorkin experience except having listened to all the chapo episodes and holy poo poo. It's an entertaining enough movie but all of his little ticks as a writer stick out like a sore thumb now that they've been pointed out. The constant repetition of things to emphasize how smart of a point people are making, the incredibly outlandish troop worship for marines IN THE poo poo at guantanamo, Demi Moore being a highly qualified women named Joe who is also a Certified Dumb Bitch who gets dressed down by all of the leading men except Kevin Bacon. The worst time being from Kevin Pollak who let's her have it for a bad objection in court and despite being her subordinate and looking like Kevin Pollak she just takes it. 30 years and he hasn't changed the formula one bit.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the only thing i know about it is the guy tom cruise's character is based on is an ambulance chaser in southeast virginia who touts that in all his commercials and the marine who was on trial was murdered shortly after the movie came out

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is the trillbillies good

Do you want to listen to some goobers with mellow accents read out posts from the mental health thread yes/no

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

a few good men is pretty good tbh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are too many people who walk away from that movie thinking Jack Nicholson's monologue was badass

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

the incredibly outlandish troop worship for marines IN THE poo poo at guantanamo,

i remember completely misunderstanding the movie as a kid, thinking "oh, he has no war or enemy to fight so he has to overcompensate by abusing the people under his command to death, and no one can punish him because that's essentially the state of the entire armed forces writ small, that's interesting, and sad"

even at that age i had seen a lot of movies where murderers say "you don't understand, i had to do it." i had even seen Videodrome, with the immortal line where the traitorous coward gives his best freudian justification for joining the enemy: "america is getting soft, and the rest of the world is getting very hard."

in conclusion, "sorkin my dick"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

i remember completely misunderstanding the movie as a kid, thinking "oh, he has no war or enemy to fight so he has to overcompensate by abusing the people under his command to death, and no one can punish him because that's essentially the state of the entire armed forces writ small, that's interesting, and sad"

even at that age i had seen a lot of movies where murderers say "you don't understand, i had to do it." i had even seen Videodrome, with the immortal line where the traitorous coward gives his best freudian justification for joining the enemy: "america is getting soft, and the rest of the world is getting very hard."

in conclusion, "sorkin my dick"

North America's getting soft, patrón, and the rest of the world is getting tough. Very, very tough. We're entering savage new times, and we're going to have to be pure and direct and strong, if we're going to survive them. Now, you and this cesspool you call a television station and your people who wallow around in it, your viewers who watch you do it, they're rotting us away from the inside. We intend to stop that rot.