Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I saw one of these in person for the first time the other day. drat fine looking cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is that what a tesla would look like if musk didn't design it with crayons?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Is that what a tesla would look like if musk didn't design it with crayons?

Not aerodynamic enough for increased speed on the production line.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I'm looking at a used Macan (2017~) and was wondering if there's anything in particular I should be looking for?
Hoping to stay around a mid-30k budget and found a CPO that's right around there with 54k miles.
I saw that the bigger scheduled services are done every 40k so since it's already had that plus it being a CPO (along with 2 year warranty) makes it seem like a pretty good deal.

Cross-shopping with the Q5 and kind of bummed not having Android Auto but can live without it and the wife is much more into the Porsche (which I'm perfectly fine with).

vv I was actually leaning more towards the Q5 earlier since in my mind, it's more on the side of comfort/amenities/tech vs the drive/looks of the Porsche. I'm sure the Porsche is plenty comfy though and a test drive should seal the deal.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 4, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

hmmxkrazee posted:

I'm looking at a used Macan (2017~) and was wondering if there's anything in particular I should be looking for?
Hoping to stay around a mid-30k budget and found a CPO that's right around there with 54k miles.
I saw that the bigger scheduled services are done every 40k so since it's already had that plus it being a CPO (along with 2 year warranty) makes it seem like a pretty good deal.

Cross-shopping with the Q5 and kind of bummed not having Android Auto but can live without it and the wife is much more into the Porsche (which I'm perfectly fine with).

We've had a 2017 since new and are at 38k km right now. It has been an anvil. Comparing the Macan to the Q5 is unfair to the Audi since it makes it look so bad.
We specifically wanted the 2.0 litre though since that allows the economies of scale to help with maintenance costs and supplies. Plus there is a stupid amount of room in the engine bay which makes all that maintenance even easier.

Edit:

Longitudinal engine supremacy. Which also comes with a factory 90% rear biased AWD.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 4, 2020

Patro
Oct 17, 2003
Hi2u

hmmxkrazee posted:

vv I was actually leaning more towards the Q5 earlier since in my mind, it's more on the side of comfort/amenities/tech vs the drive/looks of the Porsche. I'm sure the Porsche is plenty comfy though and a test drive should seal the deal.

I think the main thing I’ve heard is transfer cases having some problems and Porsche extending the warranty. The S models can have some timing cover leak issue. Spark plugs come up to replace every 4 years (can’t remember mileage).

I took delivery on a 2020 S in May to replace a Corvette and give the kids something fun to ride in. It has been a blast. Considered a SQ5 but the fake exhaust on the bumper was a deal breaker. Cross shopped used Audi S6/S7s but I wanted a panoramic sunroof too bad and reading all the awful problems that could come up turned me off.

The Macans definitely crammed inside compared to my wife’s Cayenne and just about every other smaller SUV. Between the low roofline and the hump in the back for the drivetrain it feels pretty much like a sports car. Not complaining in the slightest just something to be aware of! So far it’s great since I can drop kids off at school and then go take corners way way faster than any SUV and most sedans I’ve driven. In a perfect world I’d get a 2017+ Panamera but god drat they don’t depreciate fast enough.

edit: This is probably bias but it seems like a Porsche has been more approachable and everybody just seems kinda happy around them. There isn’t that bitterness associated with a lot of other German brands.

Patro fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 5, 2020

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Looking at just base Macans. And just me and the wife so a smaller backseat won't be an issue for awhile. The CPO im looking at also has a very clean Carfax and basically went to the dealer for checkups every few months. Not sure if thats a red flag or an overly loving owner (I'm sure it's the latter). It had its 40k maintenance but will also confirm about those spark plugs.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Got a Macan with PDK as a loaner for a day.

What a stupid vehicle. In a good 'rocket powered brick shithouse' sort of way. Sucks they have to make SUVs for the market instead of dialing down a Panamera into something like a cheap wagon ala 911 vs Cayman.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Think of the Macan as a Forester STi.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

hmmxkrazee posted:

Looking at just base Macans. And just me and the wife so a smaller backseat won't be an issue for awhile. The CPO im looking at also has a very clean Carfax and basically went to the dealer for checkups every few months. Not sure if thats a red flag or an overly loving owner (I'm sure it's the latter). It had its 40k maintenance but will also confirm about those spark plugs.

The base Macans don't have any of the engine issues that the V6 models do.
I would not see the dealer visits as a red flag. On the turbo or GTS sub model, maybe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I found out the other day a co-worker factory ordered a Macan GTS this past summer and it just arrived to port.

How much of a disastrous purchase was it? It's their first high-end vehicle of any sort. Their nicest vehicle before this was an Accord coupe.. which to be fair isn't terrible.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

I found out the other day a co-worker factory ordered a Macan GTS this past summer and it just arrived to port.

How much of a disastrous purchase was it? It's their first high-end vehicle of any sort. Their nicest vehicle before this was an Accord coupe.. which to be fair isn't terrible.

Our 2017 macan is almost at 110k and has been pretty flawless, although it’s the 4 cylinder. Only thing that’s really gone wrong unexpectedly is the passenger seat airbag sensor. Otherwise it’s been a great commuter for my wife, and now my own daily driver. If I were buying it for myself originally I would have gotten the S, but if I’m being honest the base car is fine for DD duties. I bet the GTS rocks, although sounds like the V6 may have more issues?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2020

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Our 2017 macan is almost at 110k and has been pretty flawless, although it’s the 4 cylinder. Only thing that’s really gone wrong unexpectedly is the passenger seat airbag sensor. Otherwise it’s been a great commuter for my wife, and now my own daily driver. If I were buying it for myself originally I would have gotten the S, but if I’m being honest the base car is fine for DD duties. I bet the GTS rocks, although sounds like the V6 may have more issues?

Did they source leftovers from BMW? How is this still a problem?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

McTinkerson posted:

The base Macans don't have any of the engine issues that the V6 models do.
I would not see the dealer visits as a red flag. On the turbo or GTS sub model, maybe.

Yea I figured. Unfortunately someone already put a deposit on it. However, found another CPO that's a bit more expensive but way lower miles ($37K, 20K miles vs $33K, 55K miles) and just had its 20K service so hopefully I can get a test drive this week and then drive it home shortly thereafter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Got a buddy in the UK that's on year 2 with his - loves it to bits. (It's his daily because, even in the UK, his 12C isn't a practical DD)

Alarbus posted:

Did they source leftovers from BMW? How is this still a problem?

Unsurprisingly, basically yes. You may not be aware but all of those bits come from Bosch in almost every case for both manufacturers. And a lot of others.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hmmxkrazee posted:

Yea I figured. Unfortunately someone already put a deposit on it. However, found another CPO that's a bit more expensive but way lower miles ($37K, 20K miles vs $33K, 55K miles) and just had its 20K service so hopefully I can get a test drive this week and then drive it home shortly thereafter.

Make sure to run the VIN through vinanalytics to compare the options/MSRP on each car.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a mid 2000's Boxster. It would not be a daily driver, but I am interested in a hardtop for it. Is that something anyone here has done?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

Unsurprisingly, basically yes. You may not be aware but all of those bits come from Bosch in almost every case for both manufacturers. And a lot of others.

Oh sure, I know. But it was an issue in my 2006, supposedly the issue was fixed, then I had the same issue again in my 2009. That was over 10 years ago! I would have hoped Bosch would be better, which is why I asked if they bought leftovers...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

I would have hoped Bosch would be better,

We all have hoped this at one time or another. And they are better - than Lucas. That's about all.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A boatload of european cars had problems with ABS/ESP pumps going to poo poo between I want to say 2005-2015. Bosch.

VAG had a problem with coils dying left and right for about that same period. My buddies 2012 A4 melted the plastic engine cover when his second one died in as many weeks. Bosch.

Lucas doesn't exist anymore which puts Bosch firmly at the bottom of the pile imo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

VAG had a problem with coils dying left and right for about that same period.

The coils on my 04 Cayenne have had something like 9 revisions now. I'm sure that last one really fixed them for real now. Here's a partial list:

Reference Part Number: 948-602-104-22
Supersedes Part Number: 948-602-104-01, 948-602-104-03, 948-602-104-05, 948-602-104-07, 948-602-104-08

FYI, you can blame Beru for that as well as the other VAG ones.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

kensei posted:

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a mid 2000's Boxster. It would not be a daily driver, but I am interested in a hardtop for it. Is that something anyone here has done?

Yes, it's called buy a Cayman.

Snarkiness aside, is it for winter driving reasons?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 7, 2020

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Russian Bear posted:

Yes, it's called buy a Cayman.

Snarkiness aside, is it for winter driving reasons?

:lol:

Yeah, pretty much. I would not mind it being able to be driven in the winter, I live in the Portland area so rain is a real thing but it's not the end of the world. This would be our third car, and I would not have to drive it unless I wanted to really enjoy myself.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

As someone who has personally seen what our corner of the country does to soft tops, just get a Cayman.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just to throw in a differing opinion - I found the Macan S to be quite boring - it just feels like VAG took a rav4/crv and threw in an incredibly nice interior and gave it more (but still uninspiring feeling) power. I’m not sure what all the journalists were on about when they said it felt like a rally car - I didn’t get that at all.

I’m sure it’s a fine DD - but don’t expect it to feel anything like an actual sports car. Maybe the GTS and Turbo are a different story, but I walked away from the test drive sadly underwhelmed.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Voltage posted:

Just to throw in a differing opinion - I found the Macan S to be quite boring - it just feels like VAG took a rav4/crv and threw in an incredibly nice interior and gave it more (but still uninspiring feeling) power. I’m not sure what all the journalists were on about when they said it felt like a rally car - I didn’t get that at all.

I’m sure it’s a fine DD - but don’t expect it to feel anything like an actual sports car. Maybe the GTS and Turbo are a different story, but I walked away from the test drive sadly underwhelmed.

That's kind of how I felt about it when I drove it; that it was a very competent car with a solid and comfortable interior, but it was lacking that special feeling. I was thinking about it but ended up going with the Alfa Romeo Giulia instead for the driving character.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 7, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I guess I should have been more specific. The Macan is a great daily driver for us, because it excels at tasks such as:

1. Driving on the highway at 90mph by accident because you don't feel the speed
2. Taking the dog to the dog park
3. Quickly diving in to the small parking spot at the grocery store
4. Comfortably taking us on road trips with decent mileage/acceleration
5. Not being awful/maybe even being borderline fun to drive when you hit curves in the backroads

But yeah, I dunno if it'd be my first choice as a sole "fun" car.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ranzear posted:

As someone who has personally seen what our corner of the country does to soft tops, just get a Cayman.

Ugh I really want a convertible. I owned a couple 914 when I was younger and the Boxster scratches that itch.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Voltage posted:

Does the Macan have options that would make it behave better, like sport chrono or pasm, like in the 911/cayman? I’m sure any journalist driven macan would have all the bells and whistles even if it was just a base model and not necessarily the gts or turbo.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It sure does. Ours has both and it makes a massive difference. Factory launch control, pops and burbles on shifts, idle is higher to keep the turbo lag down. Steering is sharper. The full PASM shocks (which aren't that expensive to replace when they wear out, actually).

I can absolutely see how a base model without any options would feel far closer to a Q5 unless you started absolutely caning it and got it closer to the limit.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
So I'm going to go test drive the CPO Macan and was wondering if there's anything to keep an eye out for? Since it's a ~Porsche~ CPO, everything should be pretty good to go but will still definitely take a thorough look in and out of the vehicle. I was also planning on asking for a detailed report of the CPO inspection to see what, if anything, had to be done to get it up to standards. I assume that's something they can share with me?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

kensei posted:

Ugh I really want a convertible. I owned a couple 914 when I was younger and the Boxster scratches that itch.

Basically: Why?

I'm a bit biased. Having long hair is strike one, I don't even drive with windows down. I don't care about exhaust noise and instead want to hear my music instead of wind noise, strike two. I live in a state that actually gets rain and tends to have tall tress that drop leaves and needles that trap moisture against the top, not to mention being between 40 and 60 degrees for 90% of the year, strike three.

I've run up this firm stance because of a couple Z3s and an MG. Drop tops are for slow show-off cars.

Semi-related, a 914 is just an MG driving in reverse:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 8, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
On the topic of suspension, how long should the suspension last in a Base Macan? Ours has 110k miles (mostly highway) and was purchased in 2016. Are we due for a refresh soon? Thankfully the mileage isn't going up as quickly these days.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I've expanded my search a bit and I see a few nicely spec'd non-CPO base Macans with lower mileage (< 30,000) that have at least 1.5yrs of the original warranty still active.
Any downsides to going with one of these even if a PPI finds everything good to go?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

On the topic of suspension, how long should the suspension last in a Base Macan? Ours has 110k miles (mostly highway) and was purchased in 2016. Are we due for a refresh soon? Thankfully the mileage isn't going up as quickly these days.
Shocks are weird. It heavily depends on the roads they're used on. I have been told by my local indie shop that as long as there are no visible leaks and each one still dampens the spring oscillations at each corner when stationary, they're fine. The big one to longevity that I have been told by the dealer for the PASM shocks is leave them in comfort mode during the winter and off the track. That's specific to a region that goes through annual freeze thaw cycles.

hmmxkrazee posted:

I've expanded my search a bit and I see a few nicely spec'd non-CPO base Macans with lower mileage (< 30,000) that have at least 1.5yrs of the original warranty still active.
Any downsides to going with one of these even if a PPI finds everything good to go?
Find one with sport Chrono. Everyone needs launch control. That might be tough with a base model thought.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

Shocks are weird. It heavily depends on the roads they're used on. I have been told by my local indie shop that as long as there are no visible leaks and each one still dampens the spring oscillations at each corner when stationary, they're fine. The big one to longevity that I have been told by the dealer for the PASM shocks is leave them in comfort mode during the winter and off the track. That's specific to a region that goes through annual freeze thaw cycles.

Is there an objective way of knowing when shocks might be bad/due for a refresh? The dealer/indys I've taken it to have never mentioned them, but I've never specifically asked, and I'm sure they wouldn't say no to replacing them early.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Is there an objective way of knowing when shocks might be bad/due for a refresh? The dealer/indys I've taken it to have never mentioned them, but I've never specifically asked, and I'm sure they wouldn't say no to replacing them early.
I was told by various indies in SoCal, when I was regularly tracking my PASM-equipped Cayman, to wait for a "PASM Fault" error message before replacing. Got it up to 80K miles and 35 or so track days on the stock shocks before I sold it, and they were holding up just fine

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Pending the PPI tomorrow, I should be bringing home a 2018 Macan (base). I honestly thought I would prefer the Q5s I was cross shopping with due to the tech and comfort but while the virtual cockpit was nice, the interior was actually pretty underwhelming. Not as big of an improvement over my Mazda CX-5 as I thought it would be. The driving feel was also pretty lifeless compared to the Macan and even my CX-5 (so props to Mazda). I never really considered myself a car guy, and still don't, but wow that test drive made me do a 180 real quick.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife: "Hey, the Macan says there's an Engine Control Fault but that it's ok to drive."

Hopefully she just forgot to put the gas cap on.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^ Ugh. Hope so.

Co-worker took delivery of her Macan GTS and we went for a rip after she got it home. Nice ride. She's got winter tires on the stock 20" rims and her set of summers tires on a 911 style rim. I was quite surprised at how quiet it was and well it cornered with the winter boots on a freeway exit ramp and speed. Not a fan of the exhaust note on anything other than the quietest mode. I found it sort of buzzy and not barky.

Power was good from what I could feel... not amazing but good. I'm not sure how aggressive she was putting her foot in it so I told I'll have to drive it myself to render proper judgment.

She is quite vertically challenged and optioned for the high end adjustable sport seats which I love.... probably one of the most comfortable seats I've sat in. Overall finish in and out was excellent. She got some sort of a chalk color and gave it a matte wrap and I have to admit, it works well. She is a total extrovert and was happy with the whole Porsche buying experience.