Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ultiville posted:

Unfortunately it seems like those of us who didn't start off in the game are not going to be able to do anything with Venti, so it's still relevant that the Jade Curtain and other constructs have some pretty nice utility in breaking up the battlefield.
Everyone has Anemo Traveler and Sucrose is pretty good too.

One thing I hadn't thought about, though: Lowering a resistance under 0% halves the effectiveness of subsequent lowering, so VV is not always doing as much as you'd figure it would since most enemy types have just 10% elemental resistance. They'd thus end up at -15% resistance, which is an effective damage buff of just 25%. Petra is a damage bonus, so you get the full value of it. In theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Venti probably makes me a worse player since instead of learning how to manage groups of mobs and whatnot, I just throw his ult out and wait for everything to die. Occasionally his E gets used to recharge said ult.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

his burst basically saying gently caress you to most DPS's ability to deal further damage is the big trade-off, and it still makes me reluctant to use him. with Zhongli or Sucrose i don't have this issue at all but neither of them is much of a team battery sadly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
VV is still more damage than petra assuming you're hitting with a character that has an elemental goblet.

VV:
1 * 1.46 * (1/.85) = 1.72

Petra:
1 * 1.85 * .9 = 1.665

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Sucrose keeping things at melee height is a legitimate reason to actually use her over Venti (the EM boosting also helps). Unfortunately I have Diluc, who is tall enough to hit enemies in the Venti Party, so I guess she'll remain unbuilt for a while.

I heard someone mention in a video or stream somewhere that Sucrose's normal attacks are bugged and can proc Swirl twice per normal. Does anyone know what exactly that means, and the implications of it on her damage output? Double Swirling certainly sounds powerful.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Are there any plans to re-release any of the limited characters, or at least add them to the regular banner?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Saxophone posted:

Are there any plans to re-release any of the limited characters, or at least add them to the regular banner?

No word on that yet. If I know my gachas, the answer is almost certainly yes... eventually.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The extreme of it is Fate Grand Order which dont' rerun specific limited characters for nearly 3 years.

Honkai reran limiteds uh...far more frequently than that so, here's hoping.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Andrast posted:

I'd like geo MC if their rocks weren't so loving huge and annoying

I tried using geo MC as a support for Ningguang for a while but the rocks were so annoying I just stopped.
Resetting enemies in domains or the abyss is bad, but on top of that geo mc's rocks/ult also instantly destroy Ning's jade screen if it clips them at all when you cast it. Since jade screen has no AOE indicator and no ability to fine-aim where to place it this gets really frustrating, and the jade screen is so big that it's difficult to fit in if you have Geo MC's ult circle on the field with a boulder somewhere inside.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I tried using geo MC as a support for Ningguang for a while but the rocks were so annoying I just stopped.
Resetting enemies in domains or the abyss is bad, but on top of that geo mc's rocks/ult also instantly destroy Ning's jade screen if it clips them at all when you cast it. Since jade screen has no AOE indicator and no ability to fine-aim where to place it this gets really frustrating, and the jade screen is so big that it's difficult to fit in if you have Geo MC's ult circle on the field with a boulder somewhere inside.

Geo MC rocks also block her projectiles. ZL's pillar can too, but it's a lot narrower and easier to work around.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Geo MC rocks also block her projectiles. ZL's pillar can too, but it's a lot narrower and easier to work around.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part.
Ningguang's ult definitely has some rough edges on it.
Sometimes when you push an enemy into the corner of the arena on a domain all her homing ult projectiles will just slam into the wall and disappear uselessly instead of hitting them too. :argh:

malbogio posted:

Aside from being unable to use food in abyss your team is limited to one offensive buff, one defensive buff, and one utility buff (ex. cheaper sprinting).

If you eat two offense-boosting foods in a row the effects of the first one are immediately lost even if it provided a better buff.

In addition to the two food buffs, you can also have one potion buff for either +25% damage to one element or increased resistance.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tae posted:

The extreme of it is Fate Grand Order which dont' rerun specific limited characters for nearly 3 years.

Honkai reran limiteds uh...far more frequently than that so, here's hoping.

I'm trying to think of characters in FGO that never get reruns but all I can think of is Fujino and she's pretty much an exception to the rule, almost all limited characters get banners like a year later at most, sometimes more frequently.

As for Genshin I expect we will see pretty frequent rerun banners here since each new character must take a ton of work, a lot more than most gachas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm trying to think of characters in FGO that never get reruns but all I can think of is Fujino and she's pretty much an exception to the rule, almost all limited characters get banners like a year later at most, sometimes more frequently.

Musashi, Kintoki, Caster Nero, etc. have all had periods where they weren't on any banners outside of loot bags for like 2 1/2 years.

Summer Quetz welfare never had a rerun for 2 years.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Petra should be buffed so that its buffs aren't overwritten by picking up a different color crystal. It's already so cumbersome to use, while potentially being way weaker than VV, which btw can even lower multiple resistances at the same time.

Ugh, it's ridiculous how much Anemo has going for it over Geo.

On that note, I got bored and decided to do a little testing in Floor 12 to see whether Zhongli could actually function as a shield support.

https://i.imgur.com/NYaWZ32.mp4
I was able to clear Chamber 1 in 7 minutes with Klee as DPS. Obviously not a time that would lead to a successful clear, but I think this actually shows promise. My other two party members are Kaeya and Barbara. Kaeya is level 50 and does literally nothing except fill out the team with a Cryo unit that is hypothetically needed later on. Barbara is there to provide emergency healing should shields let in too much damage, and I also wanted someone who was actively bad for added challenge.

So essentially, it's just Klee doing all the DPS with Zhongli supporting with shields and bursts. He's level 60 and not even A4, his talents are level 1, weapon (Favonius Spear) is level 50, and artifacts are +0 save for a 4* maxed EM crown that buffs crystallize by 50%.

Klee is running Bolide instead of what I used in my actual clear. I have two good pieces of Bolide: a really good 5* maxed flower and a decent 4* maxed feather. The other two are +0 ATK hourglass and goblet. Her crown is a 4* maxed CRIT Rate from her regular set.

I dunno, I think these are pretty good results considering I have two deadweight team members, bad artifacts, and barely leveled up talents on Zhongli. The constant crystallize uptime made it pretty comfortable to just do my thing as Klee, who gets a buff to Normal/Charged Attacks that isn't usually available to catalyst users. I really want a suitable Bolide crown so I can actually test it with my Pyro DMG goblet.

And before you say I was getting carried by the crystallize DMG blessing, the slimes are immune and the whopperflowers have high resistance. Besides they're gonna add it to baseline Geo reactions anyway! :pray:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

c1 Zhong though. The second pillar helps the inconsistency.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Tae posted:

c1 Zhong though. The second pillar helps the inconsistency.

I tried not to capitalize too much on having it. I don't think it affected this run very much, and may have even gotten in my way on occasion. Between the pillar and burst, you should have more than enough crystals lying around at any time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The biggest problem with using shields as an alternative to healing is that you have no way to see how much hp is remaining on your current shield so it's hard to tell when you need to refresh it. If your shield has 100 hp left and some big fat Fatui jerk hits you for 7k damage you are going to lose most of your HP and be unable to get it back.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The biggest problem with using shields as an alternative to healing is that you have no way to see how much hp is remaining on your current shield so it's hard to tell when you need to refresh it. If your shield has 100 hp left and some big fat Fatui jerk hits you for 7k damage you are going to lose most of your HP and be unable to get it back.

Agreed, it's a ridiculous thing to leave out. I think just having an indicator would be a huge buff to Geo/shields simply because it would allow you to utilize them better.

Also being able to see how much damage a shield ate.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't think shields work as an alternative to healing but they work really well in conjunction. It's a reason Diona works really well, I user her as my sole healer in my Chongyun team and it works wonderfully unless I'm just trying to punch way above my weight class in terms of domains.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/k7d2ji/so_i_hear_youve_been_wanting_to_drag_godwin_back/

It's not how I expected their reunion to play out, but I'll take it! :shobon:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

I really want a suitable Bolide crown so I can actually test it with my Pyro DMG goblet.

Aww man, actually got one!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I feel like the most surprising part of this to me is that the NPC pathfinding is good enough that he can just walk back to his, uh, "post" on foot after the shenanigans are over.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Wait wait wait

You can get good artifacts in this game!?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

CubeTheory posted:

Wait wait wait

You can get good artifacts in this game!?

You just jinxed it and guaranteed rolling flat ATK and EM only.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It's also a goblet without damage%, so it's really only OK instead of good.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

berenzen posted:

It's also a goblet without damage%, so it's really only OK instead of good.

You can't take this away from me

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The gladiator set is bullshit. Give me a gladiator domain to farm dammit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Apparently something like 2/3ds of ascension bosses drop 5*s at AR50 (vs ~40% at AR45). I'm holding off on any level 90 farming until then for more gladiator/conductor pieces.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
All farming is better at higher ARs, but you gotta spend your 180 daily resin on something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bosses and weekly bosses are the only thing that scale between AR45 and AR50. All other domains are already open and for whatever reason wealth/revelation leylines give the same rewards.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

Apparently something like 2/3ds of ascension bosses drop 5*s at AR50 (vs ~40% at AR45). I'm holding off on any level 90 farming until then for more gladiator/conductor pieces.
I can verify that the rate for Gladiator/Wanderer 5* drops is much higher at AR50, but it's still a lovely deal and plus you almost never get any good pieces anyway. Also you keep getting resistance circlet drops even though they cap out at 4* and are thus basically never useful. Why those don't scale up to 5* is beyond me, they might actually be worth it considering they can essentially apply a third set bonus, though you'd need to get a goblet that exactly matches your set to fit it in.

EDIT: You're going to get plenty of cracks at them though considering how many Gemstones you need for final ascensions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nakar posted:

I can verify that the rate for Gladiator/Wanderer 5* drops is much higher at AR50, but it's still a lovely deal and plus you almost never get any good pieces anyway. Also you keep getting resistance circlet drops even though they cap out at 4* and are thus basically never useful. Why those don't scale up to 5* is beyond me, they might actually be worth it considering they can essentially apply a third set bonus, though you'd need to get a goblet that exactly matches your set to fit it in.

EDIT: You're going to get plenty of cracks at them though considering how many Gemstones you need for final ascensions.

I feel like it won't be that long until I have all the 5* Gladiator/Wanderer pieces I'll ever need. I'm pretty sure I have like 2-3 5* artifacts for every slot of both those sets, and I'm AR47.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You should get a poo poo ton of them just through doing bosses (and I think that the weekly bosses also drop them). And you have to do bosses a whole lot when ascending characters. I'm drowning in both gladiator and wanderer artifacts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Add a gladiator domain, but put the other 5*'s as a potential drop from world bosses.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So I tried something I like to call "Protect the Kleen"

https://i.imgur.com/IkmEhQa.mp4
Three shield team is surprisingly fun

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So, uh, is Zhongli's energy generation going to get fixed? Because it's clearly bugged to hell in multiple ways. Not only do the Steles not generate energy all the time (And sometimes just in huge amounts. Something is clearly not firing all the time there.) but his hold doesn't seem to generate at all most of the time.

I mean, if they can't even do that he's actively a rip off for anyone that rolled for him. Since he not only takes up a slot but can't even reliably generate energy to use one of his two good traits, which is his insane burst.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My Zhongli is still level 20 because I'm all over the loving place trying to upgrade people anyway but I have no idea how to use him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What constitutes a good "damage support" character's artifact stats? I'm guessing Enegy Regen and Elemental Mastery, but what about the other slots? Maybe attack or attack %? Crit seems like it wouldn't be as useful unless you're using a Favonius weapon* or something (where you'd want enough crit% to quickly get a crit for swapping out). It's always hard deciding what to level up. I'm trying to only focus on 5*s now, since I get them frequently enough that it seems a waste to level up 4*s.

And for DPS carry, I'm guessing at least 3 of attack + attack % + crit % + crit damage (with crit % vs crit damage kind of depending upon how much you already have).

Artifacts seem to be by far the most important thing; the impact they have is just super dramatic compared with gear in most MMO/RPG games. A single artifact being good or bad can mean something like a 50% difference in your damage.

* Speaking of this, I really need to level up my Bennet, because I have an R5 Favonius Sword (the game seems to love giving me Favonius weapons; I also have an R3 Favonius Bow) that would probably be extremely good on him. Favonius Sword also looks really cool IMO.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 6, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

gandlethorpe posted:

So I tried something I like to call "Protect the Kleen"

https://i.imgur.com/IkmEhQa.mp4
Three shield team is surprisingly fun

Sorry to inform you but shields in this game actually don't stack.
You can actually have 6 shields active at once from Crystallize + Zhongli hold-E + Diona + Xinyan + Noelle + The Bell, but it's no better than having 1 shield on. When you take damage it subtracts the full damage value from every shield at the same time so only the highest-hp one matters.

RareAcumen posted:

My Zhongli is still level 20 because I'm all over the loving place trying to upgrade people anyway but I have no idea how to use him.

If you wanna do support-y stuff, just stick the pillar near badguys and then hit them with whatever elements you were gonna hit them with anyways. It'll do some almost-relevant damage and also generate a crystallize reaction from every geo pulse, giving you free 0-effort shields (and a damage bonus if you have archaic petra set!). Reactions scale with level though so level 20 zhongli's crystallize shields are probably pretty wimpy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can actually have 6 shields active at once from Crystallize + Zhongli hold-E + Diona + Xinyan + Noelle + The Bell, but it's no better than having 1 shield on. When you take damage it subtracts the full damage value from every shield at the same time so only the highest-hp one matters.

How does this work with elemental shields that specifically protect against certain elements (or stuff like Zhongli's shield being more efficient against Geo damage)? Like if Zhongli has his shield up and you also have some other character's shield, and he takes 2000 Geo damage, does his shield take the lower amount while the other shield takes the full amount?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you wanna do support-y stuff, just stick the pillar near badguys and then hit them with whatever elements you were gonna hit them with anyways. It'll do some almost-relevant damage and also generate a crystallize reaction from every geo pulse, giving you free 0-effort shields (and a damage bonus if you have archaic petra set!). Reactions scale with level though so level 20 zhongli's crystallize shields are probably pretty wimpy.

Ah, this makes sense. I've been kind of confused about how to use the pillar, since at first I thought it had some relationship to his shield, but apparently it doesn't (and its damage is pretty trivial by itself; it only seems worthwhile if it's resonating with other stuff). The only other Geo character I'm actively using is Ningguang, so there isn't much for it to resonate with (and her walls aren't really ideal for that, since you're often shattering them to cast her burst and they can be a bit finicky to position - Zhongli really seems specifically tailored to Geo MC, since I think Geo MC's burst creates multiple separate objects for the purposes of resonation).

edit: Speaking of Geo MC, I was really confused at first during the part of the recent story chapter when [spoiler]the MC is fighting Childe and suddenly a bunch of rocks sprout up. I thought that the Rex Lapis corpse was doing it, lol. The MC surprising him with their second element makes a lot more sense.

And speaking of the MC in general, it's really weird that people aren't more fascinated/concerned with this mysterious person who can use multiple elements without Visions or being an Archon (and how the MC themselves is presumably privy to a bunch of knowledge about the broader setting, though I don't really mind that - I like the idea of the MC having aspects to their history that are only revealed later).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I know they don't stack. The point is that I always have a shield available.

Btw, this is how bad my stats are in that clip
https://i.imgur.com/qamQ0l8.mp4
(Yes, I forgot to even give Diona a proper artifact set)

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 6, 2020