Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The hell is "motion rate" except a deceptive way of making 60Hz TVs look like they're 120Hz?

My dad got a Samsung Q8DT (think it's a Costco Q80T). Reviews said it was 120Hz, but it turns out the 49" model is the one model in the series stuck at 60Hz. Official specs only mentioned the aforementioned motion rate of 120.

Also with a PS5 connected it looks washed out and oversaturated. The HDR doesn't look great, not sure if it's the tv or the config. How do you guys normally go about calibrating displays (if you don't have dedicated tools)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Rinkles posted:

The hell is "motion rate" except a deceptive way of making 60Hz TVs look like they're 120Hz?

My dad got a Samsung Q8DT (think it's a Costco Q80T). Reviews said it was 120Hz, but it turns out the 49" model is the one model in the series stuck at 60Hz. Official specs only mentioned the aforementioned motion rate of 120.

Also with a PS5 connected it looks washed out and oversaturated. The HDR doesn't look great, not sure if it's the tv or the config. How do you guys normally go about calibrating displays (if you don't have dedicated tools)?

Remember: marketing is full of poo poo and every maker has bullshit terms to make you think that they have a 120hz refresh rate.

You got taken by the free market, friend. You’re a real American now.

For real though, this is one of those things that should absolutely be required to be specified on spec sheets by law. Hate that poo poo and feel for you, buddy. Happened to me too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My wife wants one of the Phillips picture frame style tvs for our main living room area. Anyone have experience with these? Recommended?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

tehinternet posted:

Remember: marketing is full of poo poo and every maker has bullshit terms to make you think that they have a 120hz refresh rate.

You got taken by the free market, friend. You’re a real American now.

For real though, this is one of those things that should absolutely be required to be specified on spec sheets by law. Hate that poo poo and feel for you, buddy. Happened to me too.

Yeah, from what I've seen, Best Buy is the only one that will correctly post the native refresh rate of a television in their tech specs section. I wouldn't trust any page by a third party seller though.
And Samsung specifically has this habit of not maintaining the exact same spec for every size SKU. Exhibit A: The 2019 The Frame™. 50" and under don't get local dimming and are 60Hz, and the 32" is only 1080p.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 6, 2020

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Loving the Sony A8H so far, but the YouTube TV playback looks worse than I expected. Is there some trick to upscaling 1080p(i?) content properly, or is YTTV just Not Very Good in 4K? I've used it in both the native app and an Apple TV 4K.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HDR looked great on my PS5 with my TCL 6 series until yesterday. Then all of sudden it just got so dim I can barely see what's going on. No setting on the TV or PS5 has changed.

From the PS5 thread. Hard to tell from a photo, but the white in the TV menus is what I would normally consider a vibrant white. Look at it compared to the text in the amazon pause screen which should be pretty much the same shade. It's just awful. I've hosed around with every HDR setting on both the TV and the PS5's calibration and nothing changes. Really lovely.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

veni veni veni posted:

HDR looked great on my PS5 with my TCL 6 series until yesterday. Then all of sudden it just got so dim I can barely see what's going on. No setting on the TV or PS5 has changed.

From the PS5 thread. Hard to tell from a photo, but the white in the TV menus is what I would normally consider a vibrant white. Look at it compared to the text in the amazon pause screen which should be pretty much the same shade. It's just awful. I've hosed around with every HDR setting on both the TV and the PS5's calibration and nothing changes. Really lovely.

I had a similar issue on my 6 series and updating the firmware fixed it

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

How do you guys normally go about calibrating displays (if you don't have dedicated tools)?

I’m also curious about this. I keep hoping one of the better brands will let me plug my colorometer in and calibrate itself like I do on my computers, but nobody seems to be doing that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rinkles posted:

How do you guys normally go about calibrating displays (if you don't have dedicated tools)?

Some DVDs have calibration screens. Some of the old Star Wars DVDs did as one example.

There are instructional videos on YouTube as well. e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waUahh8DG4M

Not perfect but better than the TV defaults.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

morestuff posted:

I had a similar issue on my 6 series and updating the firmware fixed it

Companies release these firmwares for a reason. Keep em updated!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Should update themselves. My LG does.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I used to follow this thread all the time, but stopped a year or so ago. I need a replacement 32” TV. Yes I know they’re all the same under 55”. My mum does not have room for a larger TV. She went and decided to drop her TCL a week after the sales all happened. This was the set, bought back in March. I’m not crazy about getting another TCL, if it can’t take a mild 3-foot drop, and I wanted to double check if there were any better prices before I gouge out my savings.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Uh, I'm not sure any TV is designed to be dropped on the ground.

Just buy another TCL, they're gonna always be your best cheap, small TV option.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pwn posted:

a mild 3-foot drop

:hmmno:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

pwn posted:

if it can’t take a mild 3-foot drop,

:raise:

Pretty sure a modern any TV surviving that would be the exception, rather than the rule.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pwn posted:

Yes I know they’re all the same under 55”.
Vizio has 48" OLEDs now so no, not exactly.

But yeah, get a cheap TCL 4 or 5 series

pwn
May 27, 2004

Message received. I’m assuming there is no cheaper option available, then?

I realize how funny it is, but I’m very poor, and I’m amazed that I even have that much in savings. Thanks, stimulus check.

FilthyImp posted:

Vizio has 48" OLEDs now so no, not exactly.

:wth: nice

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pwn posted:

If you drop to 720p you can get to ~$120, dropping all smart TV features as well can get you sub $100.

But for 1080p sets with any smart features that TCL is pretty much as cheap as you can get.

pwn
May 27, 2004

FCKGW posted:

If you drop to 720p you can get to ~$120, dropping all smart TV features as well can get you sub $100.

But for 1080p sets with any smart features that TCL is pretty much as cheap as you can get.

Alright. Thank you all for your help!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FCKGW posted:

If you drop to 720p

I see what you did there

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pwn posted:

Like the poster above noted, it's really a consequence of how much you can do without. My sister just got a 30" no-name ROKU tv for my family's old kitchen clunker for ~ 95.00 and thanks to the Roku software it could do limited Live TV pause with a 16+gb USB attached.

If you're not chasing the HD resolution and vibrancy dragon there are some decent finds.

Though at 50+" the 'no apps, no internet" pickings start getting into weird all-weather/enterprise stuff that ends up being several hundred beyond reasonable.

I know the thread kind of loses sight of the more affordable options, but there's something for everyone out there and "I don't have cash to spend on a TV that will just end up streaming Friends 90% of the time" isn't terrible

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Got the hisense h6510g from bestbuy black friday delivered. There should be a way to set up picture settings on a per hdmi port basis, right? So port 1 can be set to game, port 2 to picture and so on? The input lag is a big enough deal that video games need to be played in game mode.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

A Bag of Milk posted:

Got the hisense h6510g from bestbuy black friday delivered. There should be a way to set up picture settings on a per hdmi port basis, right? So port 1 can be set to game, port 2 to picture and so on? The input lag is a big enough deal that video games need to be played in game mode.

I never found one, just the main ARC one and then the rest. I assumed it's just the price of paying < $300 for a 65 in TV.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got an LG CX with stock speakers. I have Dolby Atmos for headphones and do most of my HD watching via Xbox Bluray and Netflix with cans on.

No space in our tiny condo for a true surround setup or anything. Is a soundbar even worth it? Would the difference in quality be enough to make me give up the headphones? Fairly impressed with Dolby Atmos for headphones. I'd kind of like to ditch them for non-gaming use because I always forget to take them off when I get up and inevitably the controller comes crashing down to the floor.

I know this is a YMMV situation, but testing them out in electronics stores isn't helping me. Just looking for general IRL goon impressions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well do you want a cheap 2.1 replacement or one of the 5.1.4 systems or one of the massively expensive Sony bars?

The short of it is that any bar with a sub will help make the low frequencies pop in a very distinct way from even a good pair of headphones. Atmos probably won't be as effective as the headphones if that's what you're explicitly looking for.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Fly Ricky posted:

I've got an LG CX with stock speakers. I have Dolby Atmos for headphones and do most of my HD watching via Xbox Bluray and Netflix with cans on.

No space in our tiny condo for a true surround setup or anything. Is a soundbar even worth it? Would the difference in quality be enough to make me give up the headphones? Fairly impressed with Dolby Atmos for headphones. I'd kind of like to ditch them for non-gaming use because I always forget to take them off when I get up and inevitably the controller comes crashing down to the floor.

I know this is a YMMV situation, but testing them out in electronics stores isn't helping me. Just looking for general IRL goon impressions.

I honestly wish I could have a full 5.1 system but I settled for a Sonos Beam soundbar and while it isn’t as good as a full setup it seems to be a decent compromise. The bass isn’t as crazy as having a dedicated subwoofer but it’s good enough to give you immersion. I got the refurbished one from BestBuy on a saw and it was like $250 which while expensive I figured was decent as it plays music really well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yeah, that's been the standard for quite a while now. If it's using Android/Google TV, it should also have separate configs per app, as well.

Rtings lists input lag as ~44 outside of Game Mode, and ~27 with it on, or about a frame and-a-half. I wouldn't want to play fighting games on it, but that's generally fine for anything else.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FilthyImp posted:

Well do you want a cheap 2.1 replacement or one of the 5.1.4 systems or one of the massively expensive Sony bars?

The short of it is that any bar with a sub will help make the low frequencies pop in a very distinct way from even a good pair of headphones. Atmos probably won't be as effective as the headphones if that's what you're explicitly looking for.

I'm honestly not sure. Wouldn't need the top-tier Sony bar. Perhaps a mid-range bar would be suitable. Atmos-specific content is still relatively limited (though it is supposed to help with any 5.1 audio source) so I'll probably stick with headphones for dedicated Atmos content and use the bar for everything else.

god this blows posted:

I honestly wish I could have a full 5.1 system but I settled for a Sonos Beam soundbar and while it isn’t as good as a full setup it seems to be a decent compromise. The bass isn’t as crazy as having a dedicated subwoofer but it’s good enough to give you immersion. I got the refurbished one from BestBuy on a saw and it was like $250 which while expensive I figured was decent as it plays music really well.

This seems like a good compromise for regular use. Thanks both of you!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Buy a decent receiver and a couple bookshelf speakers to run off of it. Add a center channel if you can. Shouldn't take up that much space. Then you have room to grow in the future, your fronts can become your surrounds once you have room for proper towers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just picked up a couple atmos speakers that bounce sounds off your ceiling. We'll see how well they work.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Unfortunately my living room has really angled vaulted ceilings so atmos is kinda out for me

(and mounting to the ceiling is not an options)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

We just moved into a house, and to my happy surprise the previous owner already ran speaker cables under the living room floor for rear speakers, saves me some trouble :hellyeah:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm on my third receiver (but at least the same speakers). It's like, gently caress HDMI, and then gently caress 4K. I will say ARC has been the best advancement to audio equipment in the last 15 years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fly Ricky posted:

This seems like a good compromise for regular use. Thanks both of you!
For what it's worth, Sonos had a blowup last year around this time when people found out the "Legacy" mode on their products (used when upgrading to newer poo poo) completely bricked the units and created instant e-waste.

There was also a plan to just brick older, unsupported Sonos gear that got quickly walked back.

Also, there's currently some 2.1 bars on sale at Target for $100 (TCL and Vizio, iirc).

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My 11 year old Onkyo still going strong besides the HDMI card that broke a while back... Hard to justify an upgrade when it sounds just fine

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

codo27 posted:

Buy a decent receiver and a couple bookshelf speakers to run off of it. Add a center channel if you can.
After getting my C9 over the summer I think upgrading my sound system is next. I don't have the space for a 5.1/7.1 setup and won't for a long time but I like what you're saying - a left, right, center and sub would be absolutely perfect for my setup right now. Is L/R/C/sub even a thing?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

After getting my C9 over the summer I think upgrading my sound system is next. I don't have the space for a 5.1/7.1 setup and won't for a long time but I like what you're saying - a left, right, center and sub would be absolutely perfect for my setup right now. Is L/R/C/sub even a thing?

Uh yea, isn’t that what most people have?

That’s what I’m currently using.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m 3.0, as I’m not sure how controllable a sub in my room would be if I went 12” (my fronts already have 10” drivers so feel I should go bigger if I went for a LFE). It’s a setup I’ve had in the past and enjoyed, I do like a bit of control over my center channel being separate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can't find what I thought would be a simple toggle. Trying to turn off HDR on this Samsung cause I think it looks like rear end on most things, and would like to compare with SDR. It's a Q8DT (Q80T).

I mean I think it's still on (everything has that bright, oversaturated look), not even sure how to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FilthyImp posted:

For what it's worth, Sonos had a blowup last year around this time when people found out the "Legacy" mode on their products (used when upgrading to newer poo poo) completely bricked the units and created instant e-waste.

There was also a plan to just brick older, unsupported Sonos gear that got quickly walked back.

Also, there's currently some 2.1 bars on sale at Target for $100 (TCL and Vizio, iirc).

Yikes. Glad I didn’t buy one yet. That’s incredibly lovely.