Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That fake bodega tweet is well worth clicking through for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mine boils that fast on an induction burner

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

Aw c'mon I posted it like two pages ago and nobody acknowledged it :smith:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I don't know why i just thought of it, but remember when we used to Hellban people on these forums, and their posts just wouldnt show up for anyone else and it didn't tell them, and they were just left screaming into a void?

Anyway yeah that fake bodega tweet was a good find, Ultrafilter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommonShore posted:

Aw c'mon I posted it like two pages ago and nobody acknowledged it :smith:

Well, I read it back then, which is why I know now it's worth clicking through.

Sorry CommonShore, I know you're a good poster. But it just wasn't your time,.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What is this, a kettle for ants?

Checks Wolfram Alpha.

Weak American electrics could heat maybe six hundred millilitres in that time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/autogynefiles/status/1335118534645575683?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It just looks like a vase for like a bunch of like things.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

poo poo, what is it? I thought it was a pipe but now I'm confused.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soysaucebeast posted:

poo poo, what is it? I thought it was a pipe but now I'm confused.

That painting is called "The Treachery of Images." Magritte wanted you to contemplate the fact that if anyone asked you what it is, you'd say it's a pipe, but in fact it is only a picture of a pipe.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Yeah but that's not how it works per se (at least in the military - I assume cop regs are similar)

An individual who has a mishap and gets hurt or dies is presumed to be in the line of duty unless their misconduct is the proximate cause of the mishap.

There is an investigation done (military at least) for each death or injury if it's bad enough. That investigator determines whether the person was in the line of duty or not.

In other words let's take a dude who rode his motorcycle drunk and ran a red light, got hit by a car and died. The fact he was drunk meant that he was found 'not in line of duty.'. But a person who was for example driving home and got hit by a drunk driver and died, they would be found 'in the line of duty.'

The fact all these people were not technically ON duty isn't relevant it's just a term used to mean that you caused the problem by doing something illegal or rear end-stupid.

It's somewhat a distinction without a difference in some ways. If someone is found not in line of duty and isn't dead the government CAN refuse to pay medical costs etc. Or you could separately get punished for your actions later. But I've never seen the medical thing happen.

If you're dead it doesn't matter to you personally, but if you die and are found not in line of duty, your family can lose some benefits. Most are paid automatically (i.e. life insurance and death gratuity, remaining pay etc) but there are some ancillary benefits your family can get which matter if you have dependents (i.e. access to base facilities to shop etc)

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slippery posted:

Yeah but that's not how it works per se (at least in the military - I assume cop regs are similar)

An individual who has a mishap and gets hurt or dies is presumed to be in the line of duty unless their misconduct is the proximate cause of the mishap.

There is an investigation done (military at least) for each death or injury if it's bad enough. That investigator determines whether the person was in the line of duty or not.

In other words let's take a dude who rode his motorcycle drunk and ran a red light, got hit by a car and died. The fact he was drunk meant that he was found 'not in line of duty.'. But a person who was for example driving home and got hit by a drunk driver and died, they would be found 'in the line of duty.'

The fact all these people were not technically ON duty isn't relevant it's just a term used to mean that you caused the problem by doing something illegal or rear end-stupid.

It's somewhat a distinction without a difference in some ways. If someone is found not in line of duty and isn't dead the government CAN refuse to pay medical costs etc. Or you could separately get punished for your actions later. But I've never seen the medical thing happen.

If you're dead it doesn't matter to you personally, but if you die and are found not in line of duty, your family can lose some benefits. Most are paid automatically (i.e. life insurance and death gratuity, remaining pay etc) but there are some ancillary benefits your family can get which matter if you have dependents (i.e. access to base facilities to shop etc)

All of that's cool and all but these falsified statistics are used by cops to justify paying them millions to lie, steal, torture, and kill, and "that's just how it's done" is the excuse they use for all of that too. If you don't like families of the wrongfully dead being denied financial compensation I've got some news that may shock you.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Huego posted:

All of that's cool and all but these falsified statistics are used by cops to justify paying them millions to lie, steal, torture, and kill, and "that's just how it's done" is the excuse they use for all of that too. If you don't like families of the wrongfully dead being denied financial compensation I've got some news that may shock you.

They aren't false though I mean my only point here is that it looks weird to see "drowned at beach with kids; in line of duty" but that just means they didn't cause the mishap. We had some military dudes drown for a combination of circumstances but they too were in the line of duty.

If your point is that the term gets used to make people think all those hero cops died while in a shooting battle with bad hombres then I hear you, I'm just saying the term and it's meaning predates cop and military worship alike and just means they didn't do anything loving stupid (debatable in some cases ofc)

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Huego posted:

That painting is called "The Treachery of Images." Magritte wanted you to contemplate the fact that if anyone asked you what it is, you'd say it's a pipe, but in fact it is only a picture of a pipe.

My "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" painting has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the painting.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Assuming duty related illness is poo poo like syphillis. Surprising the cancer death rate is so low and that they are all related to 9-11. I hope we never forget.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Memento posted:

It totally is. It's like a good horror story or an SCP or one of those writers prompt deals

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Slippery posted:

They aren't false though I mean my only point here is that it looks weird to see "drowned at beach with kids; in line of duty" but that just means they didn't cause the mishap. We had some military dudes drown for a combination of circumstances but they too were in the line of duty.

If your point is that the term gets used to make people think all those hero cops died while in a shooting battle with bad hombres then I hear you, I'm just saying the term and it's meaning predates cop and military worship alike and just means they didn't do anything loving stupid (debatable in some cases ofc)

You do realize devil's advocate is just supposed to be a metaphor right?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Huego posted:

Man he should put a label on that then. The guy was french right? Maybe something like "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" or something. Really hammer that poo poo home.

I was making a joke earlier in case you thought I was serious. I got a (useless) art degree and everything so I've seen that piece a million times.

Blurred posted:

My "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" painting has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the painting.

Damnit I got beaten to my own stupid joke.

Soysaucebeast has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Dec 5, 2020

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" fits the cadence of Doing the Lambeth Walk and that knowledge has ruined my life. Good day.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soysaucebeast posted:

Man he should put a label on that then. The guy was french right? Maybe something like "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" or something. Really hammer that poo poo home.

I was making a joke earlier in case you thought I was serious. I got a (useless) art degree and everything so I've seen that piece a million times.

Damnit I got beaten to my own stupid joke.

I knew that was possible, but it's a cool painting and I want people to know about it! v:shobon:v

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Heisenherr/status/1335016292881928196?s=20

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Huego posted:

Is that seriously what that painting is about because holy gently caress that's dumb as poo poo. That's the exact same brand of smug "black cant be your favourite colour because it's actually the absence of colour :smuggo:" that got your head cracked on the toilet seat before getting a swirly. Jesus christ art sucks rear end

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"You thought this was a landscape?! FOOL IT IS MERELY PIGMENT UPON CANVAS IN THE SHAPE OF A LANDSCAPE I HAVE BESTED YOU WITH MY WIT" I say before bending over and shoving my head straight up my own rear end in a top hat so hard that my entire body disappears up my own rear end in a top hat and I cease to exist

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

That certainly is a normal response to the idea that art is supposed to be thought provoking.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Danaru posted:

Is that seriously what that painting is about because holy gently caress that's dumb as poo poo. That's the exact same brand of smug "black cant be your favourite colour because it's actually the absence of colour :smuggo:" that got your head cracked on the toilet seat before getting a swirly. Jesus christ art sucks rear end

It’s actually cool, the first time I heard it I was like “oh poo poo, he’s right.” I guess I’m pretty dumb though.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's actually a pretty interesting and thought-provoking. I know, I know. It's not a Transformers movie. But it still has value.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

The kid jokes are very hit and miss but this one is a home run

https://twitter.com/kidswritejokes/status/1335244198556168193

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

lol, it's not thought provoking

e: well, i guess it does provoke the thought 'no poo poo', so i guess you win

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Poops Mcgoots posted:

That certainly is a normal response to the idea that art is supposed to be thought provoking.

Ah, but it's not a response, its merely a post OF a response. It's your interpretation of the post and the thoughts that it provokes that give it personal meaning.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

It helps that it’s a dope-rear end painting of a pipe. Like 4’33” is supposed to be thought provoking too but it sucks poo poo because it’s a bad piece of music.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also art that may have been cutting edge or thought provoking nearly 100 years ago might not hit contemporary people the same way, that doesn't mean it's poo poo or didn't work.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Danaru posted:

Ah, but it's not a response, its merely a post OF a response. It's your interpretation of the post and the thoughts that it provokes that give it personal meaning.

The point was that no matter how perfect a representation of something is, it will never be the thing itself (which is a concept that a lot of people have actually thought about and discussed). Much like how your posting is perfectly representative of a pile of poo poo, it is still not literal poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ror posted:

It helps that it’s a dope-rear end painting of a pipe. Like 4’33” is supposed to be thought provoking too but it sucks poo poo because it’s a bad piece of music.

4’33” is the most pretentious, head up your own rear end thing in the art world. By a long shot.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Captain Monkey posted:

4’33” is the most pretentious, head up your own rear end thing in the art world. By a long shot.

Almost.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The point was that no matter how perfect a representation of something is, it will never be the thing itself (which is a concept that a lot of people have actually thought about and discussed). Much like how your posting is perfectly representative of a pile of poo poo, it is still not literal poo poo.

I was curious about something- that article has about 1800 words and 9 references.

The wikipedia article for Anime has 5000 words and 136 references, therefore Anime is real

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Well poo poo if I had known this earlier I wouldnt have eaten so many still life paintings of fruit, consider my thoughts provoked

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Also, the Treachery of Images is part of a series of works by Magritte that explore the nature of images and reality in more detail, it's just the most famous example of that series because it's the simplest.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

ugghhhhhhhh

That piece is etched into my brain. I was a hayseed high schooler with no art knowledge (still am, really) when I had a chance to visit NYC while this was displayed at the Guggenheim. My family got a whole pack of museum passes--didn't know anything about the exhibits but by god were we going to get our money's worth. Worst two hours of the culture tour, hands down.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

gently caress you for reminding me this exists. It’s so vapid. It’s what empty headed tagalongs think art is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Wrong

E: being high and watching these on IMAX as a 20 year old was awesome, fight me.

Leon Sumbitches has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Dec 6, 2020