Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Regarde Aduck posted:

Look what they just did to Watchdogs. That was once a flagship series and they just crashed it into a wall leaving no survivors.
Watch Dogs is a series with three games in it and only the second one was even well received.

Earwicker posted:

i think the only difference it makes is who shows up to talk to you right before the battle where you rescue Sigurd, and maybe gives you some extra AI soldiers to help out or something
This was one of the highlights of the game so far for me, the few times the Friends You Made Along The Way actually show up outside their home chapter. I think it's worth doing Suthsexe as late as possible.

Wolfsheim posted:

I do wonder if the idea of 'binging' on media has kind of hosed up the way we enjoy these things? I'm guilty of it too, and I've definitely pushed myself to try and 'beat' a game with 30+ hours to go and just giving up (five maps with five different armies is too loving many, Shadow of War :argh: ). But like, back in the day I'm pretty sure I played GTA San Andreas off and on for a year.
I think the pacing of this game merits not trying to go too fast. I think they expect you to do one region per real-life day at the very most.

The problem being that if you *don't* binge it, the rare times someone from an arc you completed three weeks ago shows up they're likely to be a stranger to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I guess I'm still trying to figure out how much my dissatisfaction is due to the design decisions Ubisoft made with the game and how much is just me losing my taste for extremely long games like this. Would it have held my attention for longer if there were more varied gameplay, or at least more visually distinct environments to visit? Maybe if the game's cast of characters were scaled down to be just a handful that you really get to know over the course of the story?

Though, the core structure of the game (making alliances across a dozen different regions of England, and being able to do them in mostly any order) seems to stand at odds with such potential fixes. There's only so many ways you can try to keep things fresh for 60+ hours of gameplay.

I'm sure that binging through it doesn't help with increasing my enjoyment of the game, but it would also be nice if I could see the story of the game through on a reasonable time scale. I've gotten close to 50 hours out of the game, which should be a pretty good value prop for $60, but at the same time I feel like there's been no payoff for that time investment since I'm still knee-deep in making alliances.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

For the first 2 or 3 regions I diligently cleared every dot before moving on, but I've since decided to just do the main stories and raid all the monasteries in each region, both to finish up the story and to leave myself something to do in a postgame wandering situation.

I had also planned to knock out Asgard before continuing with the main story, but after I came back the second time they jacked up the recommended power level by like 200, so I guess I'm waiting a while on that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

404notfound posted:

I guess I'm still trying to figure out how much my dissatisfaction is due to the design decisions Ubisoft made with the game and how much is just me losing my taste for extremely long games like this. Would it have held my attention for longer if there were more varied gameplay, or at least more visually distinct environments to visit? Maybe if the game's cast of characters were scaled down to be just a handful that you really get to know over the course of the story?

Though, the core structure of the game (making alliances across a dozen different regions of England, and being able to do them in mostly any order) seems to stand at odds with such potential fixes. There's only so many ways you can try to keep things fresh for 60+ hours of gameplay.

I'm sure that binging through it doesn't help with increasing my enjoyment of the game, but it would also be nice if I could see the story of the game through on a reasonable time scale. I've gotten close to 50 hours out of the game, which should be a pretty good value prop for $60, but at the same time I feel like there's been no payoff for that time investment since I'm still knee-deep in making alliances.

Ubisoft just aren't very good story tellers. I don't know that binging it did it harm. Dragging it out over a month or two would just leave you going "Wait who is that? Why are they here?" If you played it for an hour a day how far into the game would you get before you lose interest and move on?

Personally I cheated so I didn't need to worry about level gating and just did the main quest. All up it probably only took about 30 hours and it still felt too long. There's only one point in the game (after the getting to England) where I was engaged and excited to find out what happens next - and they drag that bit out for two regions then end it in a wet fart. The lead up to and kidnapping of Sigurd.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I also cheated to max power level pretty quickly and don't regret it. Ultimately it was kind of pointless I guess since I'm clearing all the nodes anyway but I like being able to just go where I want and play the game on my terms, adding leveling to this series was not a good design choice. Bring back the Ezio days where you could beat the whole game without ever upgrading your gear if you wanted to.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Personally I cheated so I didn't need to worry about level gating and just did the main quest. All up it probably only took about 30 hours and it still felt too long.

On my first playthrough I binged the main quest (including all alliances and Asgard, but not Jotunheim). I thought it was substantially too short. A longer game could have done more with the alliances you make, shown more of Basim's process of discovery, and made Sigurd's emotional reversals less abrupt.

But I do expect to play my favourite games for years, since they're expensive and fairly rare. I'm doing a completionist run of Valhalla now, and enjoying it a lot.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Oh dear me posted:

A longer game could have done more with the alliances you make, shown more of Basim's process of discovery, and made Sigurd's emotional reversals less abrupt.

It didn't need to be longer to do those things just more focused. Almost everyone you meet in the game you meet for a handful of scenes during their region quest and then maybe they make a cameo in the final quest.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sivart13 posted:

I think the pacing of this game merits not trying to go too fast. I think they expect you to do one region per real-life day at the very most.

Every ubisoft game, especially AC, there's a whole bunch of people who burn through it really fast and then list off all the things that they disliked and I'm like... well, maaaaaaaaaybe there's a slight correlation there? I take them super slow, a couple hours here and there, and usually end up with a much more positive impression.

Like, unless you've got a review deadline... why are you rushing a game that's annoying you so much? :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game's been out for nearly a month, that's more than enough time for people to complete the main storyline playing a few hours every night.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

It didn't need to be longer to do those things just more focused.

I don't really agree, except for Vinland. While I groan at the mythical stuff it did underlie and explain some critical parts of the story, so my completionist game has been enriched by not rushing it. But in England the whole point us that you're conquering a very large area of a country, it should take a long time, it should involve a lot of travel and diplomacy and fighting and subplots and side issues.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

exquisite tea posted:

The game's been out for nearly a month, that's more than enough time for people to complete the main storyline playing a few hours every night.

Also a lot of people will have had more spare time spent at home than with Origins' or Oddysey's release. Plus, I think a fair number of people are playing on Ubi+ so would like to make sure they get it done in a single billing cycle. Both of those were absolutely contributors to my not setting it aside for too long.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

On my first playthrough I binged the main quest (including all alliances and Asgard, but not Jotunheim). I thought it was substantially too short. A longer game could have done more with the alliances you make, shown more of Basim's process of discovery, and made Sigurd's emotional reversals less abrupt.

im literally at 100 hours right now and still only 2/3rds of the way through (im estimating based on power level and number of regions left to deal with). how much longer would a longer game even need to be :confused:

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Like the game but jeezuz what a wet fart of a ending. That is a big letdown compared to odessy and origins which both had proper climaxes.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

im literally at 100 hours right now and still only 2/3rds of the way through (im estimating based on power level and number of regions left to deal with). how much longer would a longer game even need to be :confused:

It didn't take me anywhere near as long, but I played in easy mode and rigorously avoided side quests.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

exquisite tea posted:

I've been trying to play two hours a day since it came out and I'm at 70 hours with two or three regions and a handful of order members to go. That's with trying to make this game a priority alongside kids, work, other life responsibilities.

I wonder what Ubi's analytics will say about how many people finish the game and at what pace. This random reddit post figures that the completion rate for games like Odyssey is 50% or so, which is actually higher than I would've thought.

The main reason I'm trying to finish up at any pace at all is so I can weigh in on how dumb the ending probably is in this thread. Also because if I put it down for another game I'll probably not come back until the DLC, at which time I will have forgotten everything except that the harpoon wrecks fools.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fear not, the ending is really dumb.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Are there no cool great swords/zweihanders to find? So far 50 hours in and the few great swords I have found are meh.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm just working my way through Lunden at the minute and all i can think when reading the codex stuff from the Assassins is that the Ancient Rome game is the one we all wanted but instead we got Vikings because Vikings are popular at the moment and Ubisoft only make games tailored to popular culture.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

kloa posted:

Are there no cool great swords/zweihanders to find? So far 50 hours in and the few great swords I have found are meh.

The Two-hander, Carolingian Longsword, and Excalibur are all of the one's you can get in the game. The scimitar is pretty cool but you missed your chance to get it for opals.

Kin posted:

we got Vikings because Vikings are popular at the moment and Ubisoft only make games tailored to popular culture.

Are they though? The Last Kingdom and Vikings are really the only era related media I can think of. Vikings jumped the shark years ago and Last Kingdom wasn't that big was it?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 5, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The scimitar is pretty cool but you missed your chance to get it for opals.

Cheatengine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does that work for opals? That seems like a currency that ubi might actually care about people cheating to get considering you can use it to get cash shop items.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ainsley McTree posted:

Does that work for opals? That seems like a currency that ubi might actually care about people cheating to get considering you can use it to get cash shop items.

No the opals are kept server side but you don't need 'em because you can use cheat engine to just add all the shop items directly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also Ubi does not give a poo poo about you directly giving yourself the items, did that with no problems with Odyssey.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sivart13 posted:

I wonder what Ubi's analytics will say about how many people finish the game and at what pace. This random reddit post figures that the completion rate for games like Odyssey is 50% or so, which is actually higher than I would've thought.

Steam achievements only cover pc players on one digital store but it looks like barely 10% of people playing on steam got to the later part of the main story on Odyssey based on achievements.

50% sounds like it would be a massive overstatement but OTOH a lot of people who complain about the game still put in 50-100 hours and then do the DLC so it clearly sells.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Steam achievements only cover pc players on one digital store but it looks like barely 10% of people playing on steam got to the later part of the main story on Odyssey based on achievements.

50% sounds like it would be a massive overstatement but OTOH a lot of people who complain about the game still put in 50-100 hours and then do the DLC so it clearly sells.

There's a trophy for Final Fantasy 7 Remake that you get for beating the first fight which is literally seconds from the start of the game and there's like ~2.2% of people who never got that far. They started up the game but stopped before that fight.

What on earth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Right now on Steam about 35% of players have the Chapter 9 achievement, which is the end of the main quest in Odyssey. I don't think global achievement stats are all that helpful past a certain point though as games that have been out awhile get large discounts and tend to pick up a lot of low-investment players.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Speaking of cheat engine, would there be a way to use it to remove one level from myself? I somehow got 402/400 and the notification is hella annoying.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

exquisite tea posted:

... and tend to pick up a lot of low-investment players.

:ssh: The vast majority of players are low-investment at all times.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eimi posted:

Speaking of cheat engine, would there be a way to use it to remove one level from myself? I somehow got 402/400 and the notification is hella annoying.

I think there's a HUD setting in options somewhere to turn that notification off. I cheated myself to power level 400 a very long time ago and haven't seen any notifications at all, so I definitely did something to solve that problem, and I think that was it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think there's a HUD setting in options somewhere to turn that notification off. I cheated myself to power level 400 a very long time ago and haven't seen any notifications at all, so I definitely did something to solve that problem, and I think that was it.

Ah thanks. I did it legit, and I think what happened is I somehow managed to gain two levels at once time, putting myself from 199 to 201 somehow and the game was dumb enough to not kick in the mastery system.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lastly, so my brain worms can sleep content, what makes the progress % in the ubi launcher tick up? I've done every quest, all pledges, all the hunts, anything that I figure would be a unique reward and it's at 93%, is it something stupid like beat every Orlog/Drinking challenge to go to 100? I know map clearance isn't required for Odyssey...

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Eimi posted:

something stupid like beat every Orlog/Drinking challenge

Stupid??? That's the best part!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

Stupid??? That's the best part!

I mean I could handle Orlog but not drinking challenges. I hate rhythm games and I dunno the controls for pc just don't work for me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I do wonder if the idea of 'binging' on media has kind of hosed up the way we enjoy these things? I'm guilty of it too, and I've definitely pushed myself to try and 'beat' a game with 30+ hours to go and just giving up (five maps with five different armies is too loving many, Shadow of War :argh: ). But like, back in the day I'm pretty sure I played GTA San Andreas off and on for a year.

There's almost no way I'm gonna beat this game before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, and usually that would mean just never finishing it, but I feel like Valhalla has pretty good stopping points with the various region arcs playing out like miniature seasons of television where I could just pick it back up again down the road? I dunno, most open world games are just a never ending mishmash of open quests bleeding into one another so trying to figure out what you were doing in a Bethesda game after shelving it for six months is a mess, but I think this time they deliberately structured it to be playable in bursts. I guess we'll see!

I think this is definitely a deliberate choice, looking at that leaked Sony info on why they made the Activities feature on the PS5 (link to an article about it), companies definitely want to gear their big open world games to also appeal to people whose habits fit more bite-sized experiences. I can't say it's a bad idea because I'm one of those people.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of Orlog, what's the strategy against people who keep spamming Idun's restoration (the ones that do a big heal at the very end of the turn)?

My normal strategy is to gather as much favor as I can and use Thor's strike to do damage, but I feel like the healing outpaces the damage in this instance. I managed to squeak out a win by focusing on stealing favor instead of building it but I feel like I might have just got lucky and that wasn't actually smart.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of Orlog, what's the strategy against people who keep spamming Idun's restoration (the ones that do a big heal at the very end of the turn)?

My normal strategy is to gather as much favor as I can and use Thor's strike to do damage, but I feel like the healing outpaces the damage in this instance. I managed to squeak out a win by focusing on stealing favor instead of building it but I feel like I might have just got lucky and that wasn't actually smart.

Get the one where you can sacrifice health for tokens. Save up 10 tokens. Sacrifice 5 health. Health with Iduns. Spam Thor's strike.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

The powers that multiply arrows or axes also do far more damage than they can heal. You might also consider passing on helmet and shield favor dice in the hope of rolling hands or arrow/axe favors later.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I guess I'm weird because I would not play a game for a few hours every night for a month if it wasn't like, extremely good. I like Valhalla a LOT and I've played on average 1 hour a day since it came out.

So like if it had a lot of annoying things I definitely wouldn't play it that diligently

Then again I do work a lot as well.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i just had a weird bug where i got the galloglaich armor, upgraded it to mythical status, then like 40 hours later in a completely different area i found the galloglaich armor again. when i looked at both sets in my inventory, the first set reverted back to its un-upgraded state, then both switched to the fully upgraded version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i just had a weird bug where i got the galloglaich armor, upgraded it to mythical status, then like 40 hours later in a completely different area i found the galloglaich armor again. when i looked at both sets in my inventory, the first set reverted back to its un-upgraded state, then both switched to the fully upgraded version

I had the same thing happen with the huntsman armor.

This game definitely could've used another month or two in the oven. I get why they didn't with Cyberpunk coming out and it's not Unity hilariously busted or anything but it's definitely got some really weird smaller things going