Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/tasty_gigabyte7/status/1335341017051004928

So how does a guy like this not get shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He’s an old white man who voted Republican, OP. :angel:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

He's doing the cops work for them

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midjack posted:

He’s an old white man who voted Republican, OP. :angel:

I meant by the armed antifascists who were there.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

I have to admit it’s kind of weird, not that I want this to happen, there hasn’t been a large scale shooting incident akin to a pitched battle somewhere. I guess most people don’t want to go to jail for the rest of their life potentially?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I feel like they know another ruby ridge or Waco would happen to them if they pushed too far.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I feel like they know another ruby ridge or Waco would happen to them if they pushed too far.

Let’s not forget Tarp Ghost from the Bundys.

Hell look at that biker shoot out a few years ago in Texas. When poo poo starts flying all over the place, the cops don’t really give a gently caress about who they’re shooting back at.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Any significant armed activity by leftists would immediately get crushed with extreme prejudice by the cops, both local and federal.

Remember that dude who got whacked by the Marshalls in his driveway?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MRC48B posted:

Any significant armed activity by leftists would immediately get crushed with extreme prejudice by the cops, both local and federal.

Remember that dude who got whacked by the Marshalls in his driveway?

Conversely Tarp Ghost. In the end pissing off heavily armed feds is never a good idea.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Feds play by slightly different rules.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That was under Obama, who was holding the chain to prevent another "Patriotic American protestors shot down by jackbooted federal thugs" narrative.

If a gun battle starts between proudboys and armed antifa the narrative will be "Patriotic Americans Help our Thin Blue Heroes eliminate commie mutant traitor insurrection"

Followed by a series of community leaders being "shot while resisting arrest (in their beds)".

the alt-right would have to do something seriously egregious to lose their narrative control.

they've already gotten away with assault, vehicular manslaughter, and shootings, so maybe killing a white 5 year old on camera by beating them to death with a brick of heroin.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

They'd just blame the 5 year old for having a brick of heroin.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I have to admit it’s kind of weird, not that I want this to happen, there hasn’t been a large scale shooting incident akin to a pitched battle somewhere. I guess most people don’t want to go to jail for the rest of their life potentially?

I don't want it to happen either, but...
The chuds have been showing up armed to protest or counter-protest for years with the purpose of intimidating the opposition. It's been an axiom to them that liberals are afraid of guns and will never offer any armed resistance to them.
So it's unfortunately necessary for antifa to start arming themselves to protect the rights of liberals and leftists to protest, since the cops sure as poo poo won't.

So picture yourself doing that job. You're carrying at an antifa event, chuds show up to try and bully the protesters away. Some dumbfuck draws and starts aiming at unarmed protesters. What do you do?

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

If return fire came out of the Antifa crowd in Olympia today it would have been a literal bloodbath as there were 10 as many long guns let alone handguns on the MAGA side when I was walking around. They had armed people picketed near where all the lifted Trump flag trucks were parked and just generally better prepared for poo poo to go sideways. And the cops were sorta on their side as far as response and presence.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I think for a lot of the liberals/lefties buying guns it's far more of a "I'm going to take you with me if you try" reaction to the attempts at intimidation and all the loud screaming of fantasies about dragging Biden voters out of their homes and shooting them and etc.

Like Hunter S. Thompson's reaction to getting threatened by some Hell's Angels:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is my completely lovely take, but I'm going to assume that the majority of the antifa crowd is not armed, and that starting gun warfare would probably end very badly for them.

But also this:

sharknado slashfic posted:

He's doing the cops work for them

The instant someone on the wrong side opens fire, the cops are going to go open season. They've already had plenty of chances to use :airquote: less lethal :airquote: methods, I'm sure the facist pigs are more than eager to upgrade to real weapons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

staticman posted:

"Dehumanize yourself" is as of now a survival mechanism.

Humanity is doomed by colonial dominionist little man syndrome

Please don't post good news

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Yeah don’t forget how the Marshals executed the guy who defended himself in Portland, and the way the security guard in Denver got thrown under the bus immediately by his employers for defending himself.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1335401627050795008?s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah don’t forget how the Marshals executed the guy who defended himself in Portland, and the way the security guard in Denver got thrown under the bus immediately by his employers for defending himself.

So is there any point to the left arming up?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre

If you think it can't or won't happen again you are out of your mind.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre

If you think it can't or won't happen again you are out of your mind.

Uh... they got massacred by the chuds and the events were suppressed to the point where most people have only learned about it in the last decade. That example is more supporting this take:

Zamujasa posted:

This is my completely lovely take, but I'm going to assume that the majority of the antifa crowd is not armed, and that starting gun warfare would probably end very badly for them.

But also this:

The instant someone on the wrong side opens fire, the cops are going to go open season. They've already had plenty of chances to use :airquote: less lethal :airquote: methods, I'm sure the facist pigs are more than eager to upgrade to real weapons.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well at a bare minimum it's better than entirely ceding the shooting sports to racists and fascists, giving them a empty arena to spread their bullshit and radicalize others, as has been done for decades due to leftists getting tricked by liberals into tilting at the gun control windmill.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
snip, yikes don't wanna unintentionally doxx a fellow goon :stonk:

staticman fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 6, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
His name even sounds like “Goonslayer”.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Since 2016, the largest growing demographic in gun sales were people who went left, along with minorities. The biggest concern for me, in all arenas is the sheer lack of knowledge and training on all sides.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Libs won't fight, while leftists are (generously) about 15% of the population and mostly unarmed. Conservatives are armed to the gills, have the cops on their side, and are all but begging for a chance to blow it all up. Arming up as a liberal or leftist for civil war 2 is at best useless imo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Best Friends posted:

Libs won't fight, while leftists are (generously) about 15% of the population and mostly unarmed. Conservatives are armed to the gills, have the cops on their side, and are all but begging for a chance to blow it all up. Arming up as a liberal or leftist for civil war 2 is at best useless imo.

Giving up seems like the best option, yeah.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It's the courage of your convictions.

For some people those convictions are pretty powerful tho, so they might be more inclined

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm a dipshit, not a psychologist, but i would posit that people on the left tend to have empathy and would have a lot of trouble pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger, outside of extreme circumstances

on the other hand, the fascists/pigs have spent a long fuckin time reinforcing the dehumanization of others such that, to them, they're not killing people. they're aliens. traitors. subhuman.

its scary to think about, honestly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zamujasa posted:

the dehumanization of others

did you notice that you did exactly this in your post?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Zamujasa posted:

i'm a dipshit, not a psychologist, but i would posit that people on the left tend to have empathy and would have a lot of trouble pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger, outside of extreme circumstances

on the other hand, the fascists/pigs have spent a long fuckin time reinforcing the dehumanization of others such that, to them, they're not killing people. they're aliens. traitors. subhuman.

its scary to think about, honestly.

So on the right you have fascist bully’s. They lack empathy yes, and without that they see murdering their enemies as acceptable. For the worst cases even like a fun sport, maybe hunting, maybe a COD match depending on the age group and maturity. However being bully’s who lack empathy they also lack the grounding that motivates people to actually fight. Offer them any resistance and they will eventually disengage because they want to punch down and refuse to risk themselves in a near peer engagement.

Meanwhile the antifascists whom have empathy will of course struggle with the morality of engagement, but once the decision is made they will pursue it or go out shiny and chrome. Lot of historical evidence in European history for that. Plus some modern analogs that can be found in all the groups fighting around the Middle East in the past decade. GiP is not the real world but it surely seems like there is a nonzero number of leftist veterans with the “gently caress around and find out” mentality.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

did you notice that you did exactly this in your post?

I think they meant that the chuds don't think they're killing humans. They think they're killing subhumans. The second "killing" was just missing.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think they meant that the chuds don't think they're killing humans. They think they're killing subhumans. The second "killing" was just missing.

Calling them fascists/pigs dehumanizes or otherwise abstracts their humanity was his point and creates the contradiction even though it may be correct/deserved... Unless you're being sarcastic? I can't tell anymore.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/daviss/status/1335377700979142656?s=19

Stolen from Gbs, a bit of light heartedness we all need

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You realize that calling them chud's is dehumanizing them right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/daviss/status/1335377700979142656?s=19

Stolen from Gbs, a bit of light heartedness we all need

Like I said in the end the cops are going to protect themselves. You’re all just bikers at the Boob named Bar in Texas in the end.

That is funny as hell though.

On in none collapse of Global Civilization. The Mandalorian continues to loving own.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

M_Gargantua posted:

So on the right you have fascist bully’s. They lack empathy yes, and without that they see murdering their enemies as acceptable. For the worst cases even like a fun sport, maybe hunting, maybe a COD match depending on the age group and maturity. However being bully’s who lack empathy they also lack the grounding that motivates people to actually fight. Offer them any resistance and they will eventually disengage because they want to punch down and refuse to risk themselves in a near peer engagement.

Meanwhile the antifascists whom have empathy will of course struggle with the morality of engagement, but once the decision is made they will pursue it or go out shiny and chrome. Lot of historical evidence in European history for that. Plus some modern analogs that can be found in all the groups fighting around the Middle East in the past decade. GiP is not the real world but it surely seems like there is a nonzero number of leftist veterans with the “gently caress around and find out” mentality.

I'm much more confident in the resolve of people who feel they have to fight but don't want to than I am in people who are eager for a fight but haven't thought it through.

One has decided to do something difficult and knows it will cost something, the other hasn't considered much other than glory of victory and the fantasy that violent conflict is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think it's the case that if those on the left do not take a stand, the hard right and Trumpists will continue to use the threat of force to be giant assholes everywhere. Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe if you're brown or black it's a real threat to your freedom of movement or way of life. Maybe they will scamper back under the rug when big strong daddy finally strokes out, or actually experiences some form of consequences for a lifetime of grifting and Big Macs, maybe not.

If the left attempt to respond with anything approaching equal force, the police and a frightening percentage of the CHUDs themselves are ready and willing to escalate, probably far beyond what most activists on the left would consider appropriate. When workers fight each other, capital wins etc. Some of them have been actively trying to kick poo poo off for a while now.

Meanwhile, the centrist Dems and media establishment, including the president elect, will do what they did throughout this entire year and criticise the left activists first, or at the very least both-sides the issue. You'll end up with a bunch of dead people with nothing to show for it. If anyone not on twitter 24/7 ever even hears about it.

Catch 22, but I hope we don't get to see the second scenario in the coming months all the same.