Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i tried it. more like a weird pancupcake sorta thing. tastes like diabetes

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i tried it. more like a weird pancupcake sorta thing. tastes like diabetes

there was another version of these, I forget the brand, that if you put syrup in it perfectly mimicked the middle of the pancake once it's gone all soggy

they were delicious about once and then I couldn't bring myself to eat sugar for a few days

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kraft singles (and Lucerne or Kroger equivalents) are good and being solidly against them is weird.

I mean the old-school cheap poo poo that was oil-based imitation cheese was bad, but actual dairy American singles are incredibly handy to have on hand.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yeah there's two kinds of "American cheese" and they're probably getting lumped together here.

The ones that are actual milk-based cheese, often sold as "deluxe" or "deli deluxe", are perfectly good and serviceable for melting on a burger or including in a sandwich/grilled cheese. The "pasteurized processed cheese food product" American singles that inevitably come with each slice individually wrapped in plastic are inedible garbage.

Some place called The Daily Meal agrees with me. :colbert:

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

dog nougat posted:

Double post

This would make an awesome band name

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Greetings from Vintage Recipe Cards. I think I have barely scratched the surface

The thing is with some of these, some of them seem like they’re totally ok, just terrible images or...a bit of a naming problem

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This is just a Chicago style pizza :confused:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Is this the stuff Steve Jobs drank then?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is the point of this thing? Okay, it probably has close to zero calories but I can't imagine it tasting like anything but dishwater. Is it a salad? A main course? The entire meal?

Oh, it's an American classic, according to wikipedia.

quote:

Celery Victor is an historical American marinated celery salad dish invented in 1910 by Victor Hirtzler, head chef at San Francisco's St. Francis Hotel, who is also credited with inventing Crab Louie.

The dish, an "American classic", was popularized by author Clarence Edwords in his 1914 book, A Bohemian Guide to San Francisco Restaurants. To prepare, celery hearts are simmered in a veal, chicken, or beef stock, chilled (often in a citrus or vinegar marinade), tossed with mild peppers, and sometimes served over lettuce.

Without the 70s photography it looks like this:

I'll take "things you bring to the potluck when you don't want to be invited back" for 200, Alex

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is the point of this thing?

Celery was a prestige item for a time. It's to show off how fancy and trendy you are.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Porfiriato posted:

Yeah there's two kinds of "American cheese" and they're probably getting lumped together here.

The ones that are actual milk-based cheese, often sold as "deluxe" or "deli deluxe", are perfectly good and serviceable for melting on a burger or including in a sandwich/grilled cheese. The "pasteurized processed cheese food product" American singles that inevitably come with each slice individually wrapped in plastic are inedible garbage.

Some place called The Daily Meal agrees with me. :colbert:

Yeah. There's a reason I used the explicit phrasing "Dollar Tree Slices".

Nowhere on this package is the word "cheese" used. Not even in the 'cheese food product' sense.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is the point of this thing? Okay, it probably has close to zero calories but I can't imagine it tasting like anything but dishwater.

I'll take "things you bring to the potluck when you don't want to be invited back" for 200, Alex

Braised celery tastes amazing and you should try it before you bash it. It’s got some great aniseedy notes without being as full on as fennel.

My favourite way to prepare it is to wash and trim the whole celery heart. Slice once straight down the centre, lengthwise. Put some oil and butter in a large pan/frying pan with a lid, get the exposed flat side sizzling. Then pop the lid on and leave for 15ish minutes. It’s soft all the way through with lots of caramelisation on the bottom side and is a great side dish.

I’m actually making this today as a side for a roast leg of lamb. I’m also making cauliflower purée, roast brussel sprouts and Yorkshire puddings. Hell yeah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KataraniSword posted:

Nowhere on this package is the word "cheese" used. Not even in the 'cheese food product' sense.

But there's *16!!!*

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cheese talk reminded me I bought the cheapest pre sliced cheese today, I could find (1.20€ for 10 slices, local store), the contents say: milk, salt, leavening agent, animal and microbial rennet, fat-free condensed milk, cheddar cheese 15%, and various other stuff too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

KataraniSword posted:

It's the saddest pseudocheese:

Product characteristics

Brands: Sunny Acres

Brand owner: Smartprice Sales and Marketing, Inc

Categories: Dairies, Fermented foods, Fermented milk products, Cheeses

Countries where sold: United States
Ingredients

→Ingredients are listed in order of importance (quantity).
Ingredients list:
Water, food starch, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, modified food starch, milk protein concentrate, salt, natural flavor, sodium phosphate, stabilizer (xanthan, locust bean, guar gums), sorbic acid (as preservative), lactic acid, artificial color.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anyway uh I thought they were dropping this branding?

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
why does it exist
i understand substitutes in a time of scarcity, but its not like america is rendered incapable by law of god, nature or man to make actual cheese now
is it really so good to so many people that those businesses are able to survive

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lolling @ the american cheese defenders itt. "But we have some cheese that is slightly less garbage!"
Yeah, okay buddy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We have actual cheese that is good but "American cheese" sure isn't

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RBA Starblade posted:

We have actual cheese that is good but "American cheese" sure isn't

:discourse: ‘Murica makes cheeses that win international awards, but also non-cheese things like that. :patriot: is a land of contrasts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
American cheese the cheese isn’t particularly good but it’s an actual inoffensive cheese for a burger or something. A kraft single and knockoffs is not labelled as cheese because it’s a separate product to american cheese.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, "american cheese" as an actual cheese variety is just a bunch of other cheeses (mostly cheddar) melded together for optimal burg melt. There's nothing wrong with it but if you're some sort of cheese aficionado it's akin to pouring five different wines into one glass.

"American Cheese*" as a product is a minefield full of plastic and plastic accessories and should not be trusted. It is the truest deception of cheese capitalism, even more than Aerosol Product or the fact that most people in America think "babybel" is a variety of cheese instead of a brand.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
individually wrapped cheese product is the only true cheese for a Meat Bologna sandwich

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this one probably tastes great, it's applesauce, sugar, and cream, and green food coloring.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why, what does it look like sans coloration?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Brawnfire posted:

Applesauce plus cream has to look like baby diarrhea.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

Applesauce plus cream has to look like baby diarrhea.

I miss the days when I had no personal touchtones for statements like this

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, "american cheese" as an actual cheese variety is just a bunch of other cheeses (mostly cheddar) melded together for optimal burg melt. There's nothing wrong with it but if you're some sort of cheese aficionado it's akin to pouring five different wines into one glass.

"American Cheese*" as a product is a minefield full of plastic and plastic accessories and should not be trusted. It is the truest deception of cheese capitalism, even more than Aerosol Product or the fact that most people in America think "babybel" is a variety of cheese instead of a brand.

My only real gripe is that delis will label their American cheese in such a way as to trick you into buying it. I went to one of those Boar's Head deli counters in a grocery store shortly after moving to the East Coast and saw they had a big brick of what was touted as "Aged Extra Sharp New York White Cheddar", which sounded delightful, so I got like half a pound of it. Took it home and unwrapped it for a sandwich and it was fuckin American

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

It looks like it isn't mixed together

so I'd guess that green layer would be yellow

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://food52.com/recipes/76892-blackberry-and-apple-fool

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I bet it's loving great. Apple whipped cream, yes please.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

American cheese, as it was originally produced by its canadian inventor, was just a couple cheeses, primarily cheddar or colby, being mixed together under high heat to produce a more standardized product that keeps longer. I don't know what the weird non-cheese slices are made out of, probably some kind of coagulated oil and salt, but they probably change the recipe to whatever's cheapest at the time.

Not to be confused with Government Cheese, the former government program to protect the dairy industry by buying excess milk and then storing that milk by turning it into cheese and distributing that cheese as welfare, as part of America's tradition of welfare programs that are more designed with something else in mind and welfare is just a side effect.

Brawnfire posted:

Probably a lot like any other fruit fool. It's mostly eggs and cream flavored with fruit juice or puree. I only heard of the orange fool before.

People got so mad at that video.

SlothfulCobra has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Dec 6, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

American cheese, as it was originally produced by its canadian inventor, was just a couple cheeses, primarily cheddar or colby, being mixed together under high heat to produce a more standardized product that keeps longer. I don't know what the weird non-cheese slices are made out of, probably some kind of coagulated oil and salt, but they probably change the recipe to whatever's cheapest at the time.

Not to be confused with Government Cheese, the former government program to protect the dairy industry by buying excess milk and then storing that milk by turning it into cheese and distributing that cheese as welfare, as part of America's tradition of welfare programs that are more designed with something else in mind and welfare is just a side effect.

Probably a lot like any other fruit fool. It's mostly eggs and cream flavored with fruit juice or puree. I only heard of the orange fool before.

People got so mad at that video.

O Canada

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

My folks got this for a while when my dad was laid off around the time I was born. They said it was decently good cheese and helped them through some hard times.

So of course now they vote to destroy welfare of any sort

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Brawnfire posted:

My folks got this for a while when my dad was laid off around the time I was born. They said it was decently good cheese and helped them through some hard times.

So of course now they vote to destroy welfare of any sort
Government cheese made the best grilled-cheese sandwiches, hands-down. Grilled-cheese day at my elementary school cafeteria was exponentially more popular than rectangular-pizza day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A shame that you can not combine government cheese and doctor's sausage.

Is there a country somewhere that does welfare bread? So you could add that to make a state sponsored sandwich?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Used to be popular in the USSR I believe

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a country somewhere that does welfare bread?

I hear the circus is in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

A shame that you can not combine government cheese and doctor's sausage.

Is there a country somewhere that does welfare bread? So you could add that to make a state sponsored sandwich?

Isn't that what wonder bread is, realistically?