Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought about this and I did think up an Ultimate talent, but I wouldn't want to have this talent, though I do think it'd make for a hilarious Danganronpa game. Basically, your character is the Ultimate Unlucky Student. It doesn't work like you think it would, not like Eugene from Hey Arnold running into accident after accident. Rather, this "unluck" causes any and every carefully laid plans to go awry; any blackened that tries to murder a person will accidentally murder someone else or even themselves.

Ah, the inverse Smitty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Amidiri posted:

Ultimate Murderer. It's risky, but I think it could pay off!

The only serial killer that has actually ever killed anybody during the game in all three games is Kiyo. I mean, maybe Peko if you consider her a hit(wo)man.

Toko and Maki just shrugged and stayed their hands, and both made it to the end.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BlazeEmblem posted:

Tsumugi has a literal Aura Of Cosplay. I'm willing to believe that Miu and Angie could create stuff without someone from the outside bringing in the finished product.

As for Gonta, it's far more likely that his vision just is that good.

I mean, the guy wears glasses, and he was wearing them in the prologue too so it's unlikely they're just for show.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Quackles posted:

I'm pretty sure Tsumugi was making 'cospox' up. If she can quick-change like this, she can quick-apply body paint too.

Possible. It was critical to establish she couldn't impersonate someone else or she'd always be a prime suspect. OTOH, cospox is what revealed that Junko is a fictional character, and it seems like an especially strange thing to make up.

If cospox is a lie and she can cosplay another student, then nothing is settled by her doing that. But if it's the truth and she can't cosplay another student without getting it, that refutes the claim that they are fictional.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

"Haha, you guys are real life fictional characters" was obvious bullshit the moment she first said it. But it's also believable for a bunch of kids suffering from the mother of all gaslighting to buy it.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/PorygonNews/status/1335386949188771845

maybe we're in the simulation

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/1335387212448350209

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Sailor Dave posted:

Thinking about it, the outside world seems kind of hosed. It's supposedly peaceful with no wars or anything, and yet everyone's happy to watch other people give up on their lives and put themselves into a killing game, completely wiping out their identity and basically letting their bodies be used as puppets for another unknowing, living personality to kill or be actually for real killed, or so it seems.

Even besides that, they clearly have the technology to implant people with memories and skills directly (though I'm never sure how literally to take the almost magical level of technology in Danganronpa), yet poor little boring Makoto is still attending a regular school learning the old fashioned way, living a meaningless life. It's weird. I know the outside world is supposed to be kind of a fourth wall break, but there's clearly an actual outside world in the game on some level.

Solitair posted:

Chapter 6, Part 1: Burning Down the House

Thanks for giving me something to get totally obsessed with! Thanks for the strength to keep going! I'll keep on rooting for you, so please keep trying your best! And—! One day, I'll also—!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Skeleton Mom posted:

the reveal that apparently no ultimate detective had ever done a murder is so wildly unrealistic, I'd be willing to dismiss this whole premise based on that alone. ACAB, after all.

I would hazard a guess that none of the teenage Ultimate Detectives are actually trained police, far more likely they’re private detectives with a penchant for murder mysteries, same as the original and obviously best Ultimate Derective.

They did try an Ultimate Police Officer in Dangan Ronpa 16: Emergency Service. But that was in part because 14-18 had a conscientious effort to have “real” jobs as the talents, as people were complaining about how esoteric some of the talents got post Dangan Ronpa 10. I think he ended up doing the double murder that game from memory.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I stopped watching this series around Season 15. I thought that the Ultimate Theologian and the Ultimate Apostate killing each other in the Ultimate Barista's Lab was too on the nose.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Remember that one time where two victims were the perpetrators of each other's deaths? Boy, that trial went on for hours.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I especially hated the trial where the Ultimate Prosecutor updated the autopsy report. Like, come on.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Look, it took a while to convince me the series hadn't jumped the shark when they introduced the 'Ultimate High School Student' and made jokes about 'em being 'super duper'. But they, fortunately, hadn't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wologar posted:

I stopped watching this series around Season 15. I thought that the Ultimate Theologian and the Ultimate Apostate killing each other in the Ultimate Barista's Lab was too on the nose.

Not as cliche as the Ultimate Priest and Ultimate Rabbi in the Ultimate Bartender's lab.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Honestly, I stopped watching for a while after the Ultimate Web Developer made an ARG that everyone needed to solve in order to figure out who the blackened was in Danganronpa 41.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
I just think it's tragic that Danganronpa has gotten 53 installments when we're still waiting on Zero Escape 11.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I think it was 37 that had my favorite murder plot, by the Ultimate LPer. And if he’d had the whole three and a half years necessary to complete it, I think he’d have won.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
How long has this show been running in "real life"? How long does it take to produce one season? The actual killing game takes place over a couple weeks or so. And there's lots of prework to be done, building the sets, writing the plot, all that stuff. Not to mention finding new participants.

Let's assume the stuff this world shares with ours (everything up to and including the DR3 anime) came out in the same timeline, everything after that is similar to this game, and that the remaining 49 seasons are on a very fast 4-seasons-a-year production pipeline. In that case, the series is 6 + 12.25 = 18.25 years old. And that's the lower end. It's probably much more than that.

No wonder the villains keep going on about how it will never end.

EDIT: So the real mastermind? :capitalism:

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 6, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

NeverHelm posted:

How long has this show been running in "real life"? How long does it take to produce one season? The actual killing game takes place over a couple weeks or so. And there's lots of prework to be done, building the sets, writing the plot, all that stuff. Not to mention finding new participants.

Let's assume the stuff this world shares with ours (everything up to and including the DR3 anime) came out in the same timeline, everything after that is similar to this game, and that the remaining 49 seasons are on a very fast 4-seasons-a-year production pipeline. In that case, the series is 6 + 12.25 = 18.25 years old. And that's the lower end. It's probably much more than that.

No wonder the villains keep going on about how it will never end.

I think it's worth noting that early on they probably continued to be games. I imagine it wasn't until at least 11 that the idea of a real life show happened. I imagine it's a bit like the turnaround on Survivor, at most 1 or 2 a year.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Exactly. It's clearly been going on for decades.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think it's worth noting that early on they probably continued to be games. I imagine it wasn't until at least 11 that the idea of a real life show happened. I imagine it's a bit like the turnaround on Survivor, at most 1 or 2 a year.

Yeah, they've got to "write the seasons", recruit kids (which probably entails signing lengthy hosed up contracts with them and/or their parents about literally signing their lives away), and build their enormous "sets". Even with their seemingly amazing level of technology, I'd say a year between seasons is a bare minimum.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

what kinda nerd-rear end kids out there are obsessive fans of a fifty-year-old show?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

what kinda nerd-rear end kids out there are obsessive fans of a fifty-year-old show?

Gundam's like, 40 years old, so it's getting there.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Doc Hawkins posted:

If a mystery-based show like Scooby Doo can last to this day, I'm sure Danganronpa can.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As an answer to the question: why would the outside world do this? How hosed up is that?

Just remember that one of the favorite forms of entertainment for ancient Romans was watching gladiators beat each other to death.
Our world has a long history of actual murder games.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i bet celebrity death pools have been real exciting this year...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

Ones who watched the most recent season last year, and the season before that the year before, whose only excitement is this show. Tsumigi seems like the only confirmed super hardcore fan of the earliest stuff, which honestly could just be because her parents gave her their copies of the games etc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Look you don't need to have watched all the old seasons to enjoy the new ones. People jump in at any time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Carbon dioxide posted:

Look you don't need to have watched all the old seasons to enjoy the new ones. People jump in at any time.

Oh god if you watch that way then you don't even pick up on the overriding themes and metaphors. Are you even a real fan? :rolleyes:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean is Danganronpa more Survivor, or The Amazing Race?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
drat, y'all's some nerds :stare:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

You may want to look up a little show named Doctor Who.

Then again, maybe not.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I especially hated the trial where the Ultimate Prosecutor updated the autopsy report. Like, come on.

Look, it was better than when they cross examined a parrot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The worst season was the one with the Ultimate Coroner, they broke the entire game

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

FoolyCharged posted:

Look, it was better than when they cross examined a parrot

Well, how else were they going to find the Ultimate Pirate's dying message, huh?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Since everyone's making PW jokes, I was thinking the other day about how utterly most DR cases would fall apart if Shuichi/other characters could check for fingerprints on things.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
It was shown in one of the early seasons that their fingerprints are erased as part of the selection process.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Star Trek fans LOL.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Carbon dioxide posted:

As an answer to the question: why would the outside world do this? How hosed up is that?

Just remember that one of the favorite forms of entertainment for ancient Romans was watching gladiators beat each other to death.
Our world has a long history of actual murder games.

I've actually heard that a lot of gladiatorial combat was safe and fairly scripted, basically like modern wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
If you have trouble imagining society bringing back blood sports after 2020 you clearly haven't been paying attention.

And cheers for this thread, I binged it all while in bed, I've been sick and recently lost my home but seeing this thread react to anime teen murder hijinx has helped keep spirits high.