Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

he's in disguise like 70+% of the film and his fictional daughter carries a lot of the actual pranking

Yeah, they make a point of it in the first 10 minutes of him going out in public as Borat again for the first time in a decade and just getting swarmed by randos going "BORAT!!!" to emphasis that the whole bit isn't gonna work anymore except under controlled circumstances and they need to get creative here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I will probably die before I don't-laugh at the scene in the first Borat where it's just him and Bogatov loving up the entire hotel room while fighting each other naked, then running through the place.

Also eww, when did a tag for noted giant piece of poo poo, who had a hand in the rush toward nearly extincting the buffalo so that the natives would starve to death or get on their reservations, sherman get made.

gently caress that guy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

I will probably die before I don't-laugh at the scene in the first Borat where it's just him and Bogatov loving up the entire hotel room while fighting each other naked, then running through the place.

Also eww, when did a tag for noted giant piece of poo poo, who had a hand in the rush toward nearly extincting the buffalo so that the natives would starve to death or get on their reservations, sherman get made.

gently caress that guy.

Everyone with any amount of wealth or influence was a piece of poo poo at the time. He was one of lesser pieces of poo poo :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Katt posted:

Everyone with any amount of wealth or influence was a piece of poo poo at the time. He was one of lesser pieces of poo poo :v:

Dude was utter loving trash and I genuinely won't ever stop reminding people when I see it, because I hope he's in hell for playing a major part in a native people's genocide and it thoroughly pisses me off when people play this "TEE HEE COOL SHERMAN BURN SOUTH" poo poo to prop up a monster who was super into his job to ethnically cleanse the plains.

“During an assault, the soldiers can not pause to distinguish between male and female, or even discriminate age. As long as resistance is made, death must be meted out, but the moment all resistance ceases, the firing will stop and all survivors turned over to the proper Indian agent.”

“It is an inevitable conflict of races, one that must occur when a stronger gradually displaces a weaker.”

"The more [Indians] we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed the next war, for the more I see of these Indians, the more convinced I am that they all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers"
"The Source - "The Useless Indians" An Assessment by General William T. Sherman."

"We are not going to let a few thieving, ragged Indians check and stop the progress of the railroads.... I regard the railroad as the most important element now in progress to facilitate the military interests of our frontier."

"We must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux," Sherman wrote to Ulysses S. Grant in 1866, "even to their extermination, men, women and children." The Sioux must "feel the superior power of the Government." Sherman vowed to remain in the West" till the Indians are all killed or taken to a country where they can be watched."

"He chillingly referred to this policy in an 1867 letter to Grant as "the final solution to the Indian problem"

"In 1872, Sherman wrote to Sheridan that the railroads "will help to bring the Indian problem to a final solution."

"In the words of the Sioux leader Sitting Bull, 'a cold wind blew across the prairie when the last buffalo fell—a death-wind for my people.'"

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 6, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I mean when Abraham Lincolns idea of emancipation was "collect all black people and deport them to an empty island to live in peace because white people and black people can't live together"

Sherman was confiscating Southern slave holders farms and giving them to the black people who worked the land. Something that pissed off the Northern government to no end because they wanted to buy the slaves from the slave holders and then abandon them with nothing basically.

So Sherman was easily more progressive than Lincoln. Everyone at the time was a massively racist piece of poo poo but we can't cherry pick our racist-pieces-of-poo poo either.

Oh yeah and Lincolns island thing. He tested it with several hundred black people and a ton of people died because of course they did. This was after he invited a bunch of black leadership figures and suggested the idea and they in horror told him that it was the worst idea ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There are no heroes in early America. Or post early America. Or old America. Or-

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

There are no heroes in early America. Or post early America. Or old America. Or-

JOhn Brown is the only american hero and even he was also an rear end in a top hat.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nearly all American heroes are assholes of some stripe. We are not a culture that remembers or lionizes gentleness. But really, that is every empire. Sherman was a piece of poo poo who was decent on a certain narrow range of issues, and even if that places him above the historical mean it still ain't good.

The lesson is don't make heroes of historical figures, you'll either end up disappointed or suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The main problem I guess that a lot of the time it feels like it's coming from people who would ideally know or try for better, while most of the lionizing of historically horrible people comes from the usual suspects. Like however ironically or whatever excuse, please attempt to find a whatsoever better person to cheer for having killed slavers, not the guy who (Stated first, but the lesser side of this duo obviously) nearly extincted a cool and important animal - as a part of his means of looking for The Final Solution for those useless natives who wouldn't accept his good white government's offer of designated ghettos to expire in out of the way and so if they won't let us build our railroad on their homes and tear down their culture we should just start blasting man woman and child indiscriminately, even to their extermination.

Like sherman was some proto-nazi slime when it comes to anything around the native peoples. And obviously there were other horrible people in his time, before his time, after his time and all that, but they don't get the creepy kissup that he sporadically does from left spaces.

Jamie Faith posted:

But seriously tho, I only knew of Sherman as the civil war general who killed a shitload of racists and is still hated by the "Der south will rise again! :shepface:" types to this day

I get that and don't really begrudge that side of it of course, I've just been hair trigger for a long while about a lot of the native suffering that gets swept under the carpet when it's convenient, with sherman being such a huge example of both the convenience bit and then other people unfortunately not knowing that side, thanks in part to that kind of convenient skipping over side. Didn't intend to like single you out or anything is what I'm saying.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 6, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Even my gangtag causes derails! :v:

But seriously tho, I only knew of Sherman as the civil war general who killed a shitload of racists and is still hated by the "Der south will rise again! :shepface:" types to this day so I thought the tag was funny/awesome. I wasn't aware of his policies towards Native Americans. :ohno:

I'll ask a mod to remove it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

There are a massive number of heroes in American history, they just aren't treated that way in the textbooks.

And there's a huge difference between having personal flaws and orchestrating and participating in the genocide that inspired the Holocaust.

There's a sort of self-flagellating attitude that if we aren't going to celebrate the heroes of white supremacy then we shouldn't celebrate our own heroes.

We should absolutely celebrate the accomplishments of people like Titus Cornelius, Harriet Tubman, John Brown, W.E.B. DuBois, Fred Hampton and thousands of others who dedicated their lives to fighting against genocide and slavery.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jamie Faith posted:

Even my gangtag causes derails! :v:

But seriously tho, I only knew of Sherman as the civil war general who killed a shitload of racists and is still hated by the "Der south will rise again! :shepface:" types to this day so I thought the tag was funny/awesome. I wasn't aware of his policies towards Native Americans. :ohno:

I'll ask a mod to remove it.

I found a post in QCS and put in a title change request for you.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

The main problem I guess that a lot of the time it feels like it's coming from people who would ideally know or try for better, while most of the lionizing of historically horrible people comes from the usual suspects. Like however ironically or whatever excuse, please attempt to find a whatsoever better person to cheer for having killed slavers, not the guy who (Stated first, but the lesser side of this duo obviously) nearly extincted a cool and important animal - as a part of his means of looking for The Final Solution for those useless natives who wouldn't accept his good white government's offer of designated ghettos to expire in out of the way and so if they won't let us build our railroad on their homes and tear down their culture we should just start blasting man woman and child indiscriminately, even to their extermination.

Like sherman was some proto-nazi slime when it comes to anything around the native peoples. And obviously there were other horrible people in his time, before his time, after his time and all that, but they don't get the creepy kissup that he sporadically does from left spaces.

I get that and don't really begrudge that side of it of course, I've just been hair trigger for a long while about a lot of the native suffering that gets swept under the carpet when it's convenient, with sherman being such a huge example of both the convenience bit and then other people unfortunately not knowing that side, thanks in part to that kind of convenient skipping over side. Didn't intend to like single you out or anything is what I'm saying.

Oh yeah I get it. Thanks for bringing it up :unsmith: Like I said, I just thought the tag was funny. I don't want it if it's hurtful to Native people or anything like that. :smith:

Roth posted:

I found a post in QCS and put in a title change request for you.

Thank you!

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 6, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

JOhn Brown is the only american hero and even he was also an rear end in a top hat.
I generally chaulk up any negative claims about Brown to propaganda, because of the literal 100+ years trying to claim he was mentally ill/evil by the descendants of the evil people he tried to kill.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

I generally chaulk up any negative claims about Brown to propaganda, because of the literal 100+ years trying to claim he was mentally ill/evil by the descendants of the evil people he tried to kill.

The impression I’ve gotten from more modern retelling of his story is that he’s not an rear end in a top hat, he’s just got the seriousness of a very devout Christian, but instead of one of the many devout Christians that spends all their time these days actively trying to take rights away from people, he was trying to get rights back for people. He was a man with absolute belief in his convictions and very little desire to gently caress with people who thought he was wrong.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
John Brown is the only good Calvinist basically

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Victor Hugo at the time put it best: "[L]et America know it, and ponder on it well — there is something more terrible than Cain slaying Abel: It is Washington slaying Spartacus!"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

The impression I’ve gotten from more modern retelling of his story is that he’s not an rear end in a top hat, he’s just got the seriousness of a very devout Christian, but instead of one of the many devout Christians that spends all their time these days actively trying to take rights away from people, he was trying to get rights back for people. He was a man with absolute belief in his convictions and very little desire to gently caress with people who thought he was wrong.

The behind the bastards episode about him (the bastards are the ones who killed him, but it was an excuse to talk about him) presents him as a pretty questionable father and partner. But yeah despite that he’s still one of the few folks in history who was unequivocally on the right side of it.

And Sherman sucks. Only good if you pretend indigenous people aren’t people.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

The behind the bastards episode about him (the bastards are the ones who killed him, but it was an excuse to talk about him) presents him as a pretty questionable father and partner. But yeah despite that he’s still one of the few folks in history who was unequivocally on the right side of it.
For a whole group of them you can go back a generation before John Brown. Polish volunteer troops defected en masse to fight for Haitian liberation when Napoleon ordered them to re-institute slavery.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
After all this Sherman talk, I have to plug my boy, Atun-Shei, since I haven't seen him mentioned here before. His main topics are early US history and the Civil War, mainly debunking the lost cause myth. As far as I know, he's not a horrible person™.

His own take on Sherman is that he's, at best, a polarizing character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYj9CSxlGSk

The man also has a clear passion for filmmaking with some pretty impressive production values for a channel that size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4gTgXg6fU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RareAcumen posted:

you can expand that past America too. there are very few folks are heroes by our own modern values(or values at all). as a history nerd. history is complex and depressing.

Weyd posted:

After all this Sherman talk, I have to plug my boy, Atun-Shei, since I haven't seen him mentioned here before. His main topics are early US history and the Civil War, mainly debunking the lost cause myth. As far as I know, he's not a horrible person™.

The man also has a clear passion for filmmaking with some pretty impressive production values for a channel that size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4gTgXg6fU

his stuff is amazing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, making this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGOMViJlQmE

as a follow up to his previous video is probably the best thing Dunkey has ever made to make a point. That low-effort 40 second video has more views as his Demon's Souls video and probably took a fraction of the time to make.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

as a follow up to his previous video is probably the best thing Dunkey has ever made to make a point. That low-effort 40 second video has more views as his Demon's Souls video and probably took a fraction of the time to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCN4sKv9esM

Dunkey is becoming too powerful

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIQfdAnpKY

This all reminds me of Cookie Clicker.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow! It's Made! was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9tFjPouO8

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

If you want a real hero for the era, Charles Sumner was one of the most moral men of the era and kicked rear end. He was an abolitionist, in favour of giving natives and blacks land to compensate for how lovely the USA was to them, in favour of giving women the vote, Lincoln's "moral compass" (in his own words) and once delivered a speech that called out-slave owners and humiliated them so much that a sentaor snuck up on him and started beating him with a cane in the senate. The "caning of charles sumner" was actually seen as an important moment pre-war as it exemplified that that rhetoric, dialogue and appealing to the alve-owners sense of morality was impossible.

One of myy favourite quotes from Sumner: "Say, sir, in your madness, that you own the sun, the stars, the moon; but do not say that you own a man, endowed with a soul that shall live immortal, when sun and moon and stars have passed away."

Katt posted:

He was absolutely vehemont that the native americans needed to be genocided, including babies, because they would grow up to become adult natives which was unacceptable. He once said "when you're dealingt with indians you just don't hae time to differentiate between men, women and children"

the reason he has a tag, I'm willing to bet, is he hosed up loads of confederates which is #based #yasqueen

e: apologies for beating a dead horse

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 7, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Weyd posted:

See, this guy gets it. If you must do skits, you should at least have some funny facial hair while you do them.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

I lost it at "Cancerbeetes"

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

These videos are great. DaThings is a part of the real old guard of the YTP scene and possibly the only one still regularly making content, and that decade’s worth of experience definitely shows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really want to buy a Checkmate, Lincolnites! shirt but I'm afraid some might not take it in the spirit it's intended.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Dunkey is funny, but him listing open white nationalist JonTron as a worthwhile content creator on youtube sucked poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dunkey's goofy joke from years ago video where he was like "Jontron told me he hates all my videos because he's racist" ended up aging pretty well huh

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Has JonTron done anything notable white supremacy in the past few years?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JustaDamnFool posted:

Dunkey is funny, but him listing open white nationalist JonTron as a worthwhile content creator on youtube sucked poo poo.

Didn't he do that pre-Jontron meltdown? I know his specific callout of ProJared as a good content creator was before he was outed as a loving creep.

Katt posted:

Has JonTron done anything notable white supremacy in the past few years?

Not really but he also hasn't apologized or backtracked anything he said, it seems a lot more like it finally clicked with him that he was damaging his brand by digging himself deeper and just decided to shut up. That said I just quickly checked his twitter feed to make sure I hadn't missed anything, and in June he made a protest tweet that just said "these last few weeks have made me incredibly sad, stay safe" with the "I just wanna grill" picture attached :lol::lol::lol:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
:lol: Destiny getting all red and nude about how the Metro Atlanta DSA chapter is not getting involved in Senate Runoff elections is pretty great to expose how he's not at all left.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1336003609629130753

This clip did a better job. Of course, that clip is just icing on the cake. He's been extremely anti-Left for a long time now. He got attention of some folks after he and Hasan dunked on alt-right trash but the communists in his audience made him really nervous and uncomfortable then started pushing back something fierce.

He's denying those feelings... of those communists being right about the world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think part of it is he's the one that got Hasan into streaming and then Hasan got more popular than him (because Hasan's hot) and so he lashed out at his leftie viewers.

ahah Jack and Leslie had him on their podcast and it was so bad they never released it or mentioned it until now:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1336010496168787970?s=20

(Jack is making reference to their original third co-host who left amid huge drama)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 7, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jimbot posted:

These videos continue to prove him right, because they're all hitting insane numbers super quickly lmao

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Sydin posted:

Didn't he do that pre-Jontron meltdown? I know his specific callout of ProJared as a good content creator was before he was outed as a loving creep.

He name-dropped him last week in a list of hard working youtubers in comparison to the success of more clickbaity work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JustaDamnFool posted:

He name-dropped him last week in a list of hard working youtubers in comparison to the success of more clickbaity work.

lmao n/m then he's just a dipshit.