Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

They really do don't they?

Philosphers Stone - Big scary troll invades girls toilet
Chamber of Secrets - Girls toilet is where they brew the potion to change their bodies (also that toilet is haunted by a girl that got killed by a snake in it years ago)
Prisoner of Azkaban - ????
Goblet of Fire - Fancy prefect bathroom is where Cedric and Harry figure out the egg puzzle/get perved on by the ghost girl
Order of the Phoenix - People get into the government by flushing themselves down the toilet
Half-Blood Prince - Harry nearly kills Draco in the girls toilet
Deathly Hallows - Voldemort invades Harrys brain, he goes to the toilet to cry and be sick

It's not enough to be a theme exactly but she does love a toilet.
Hardly a surprise when the toilets are one of the only places a student might be able to get some privacy in a boarding school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultlife
Jan 1, 2012

This is quite funny in a Brexit context as IIRC, North Macedonia is a common spot for outsourcing a bunch of jobs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's quite funny in a Brexit context as IIRC, there's some debate about where the Northern half of the country begins for political purposes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It is an interesting constitutional question about what happens if a part of an existing country wants to join the US and how that would work. I uh, I don't think Scotland would be super eager for that path though.

I mean I assume it's just as any other part wanting to become a state really, and it's actually more a political than constitutional question, but you know.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 6, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

It's quite funny in a Brexit context as IIRC, there's some debate about where the Northern half of the country begins for political purposes.

It’s Yorkshire upwards if it’s about concessions, it’s everything north of London if it’s about how awful northerners are.

Edit: just realised you’re on about Macedonia. Oh well.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 6, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Are we the baddies?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Lancers

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Yes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

So yeah, your mate, who if I've understood correctly is a member of the Chelsea Headhunters, a group whose logo is a literal copy of a nazi tank regiment's logo

Division :mil101: - a lot more people than a regiment. Til 1945 when the Soviets had shot most of them anyway.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm in two minds about if there will be a Brexit deal reached in time.

The journalists and politicians are phrasing it as a deal being inevitable and that it's all grandstanding at this point (but are doing so in a way that when it falls apart they can say that this was the obvious outcome. Classic cowards who want to sound knowledgeable without making a concrete prediction. )

But even putting aside the various problems that are preventing an agreement being reached, it's so late in the day. I think BoJo's plan to wait until 23.59 before pressing send really doesn't take into the reality of how the unexpected can go wrong particularly at the last second.

I had always thought that No Deal might be the best result as the ensuing chaos and pandemonium might be enough for it all to fall apart and start a humiliating climbdown for the UK early in 2021.

But if 50K+ Covid Deaths doesn't get the great British people out in the streets will a lack of Tescos meal deals do it?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Question IRL posted:

But if 50K+ Covid Deaths doesn't get the great British people out in the streets will a lack of Tescos meal deals do it?

All it really seems to get you is facebook screeds how "the government's done a good job in a bad situation, actually".

Though that might just be my facebook wall, anyway.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Its truely amazing that it's been 4 years since the Brexit vote and 2 Tory governments have had 2 elections, multiple extensions and have still left it until the last hour to not gently caress this up*

*When I say amazing, it's not that amazing. Its amazing that people keep voting for these chuckle fucks but that's what you get when 50% of the voting public has brainworms

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

The use of the Skull comes from around 1760 when the 17th Lancers were raised.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Also they could've had another extension if Boris wasn't thirsting for Brexit so much.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Also they could've had another extension if Boris wasn't thirsting for Brexit so much.

Didn't the EU say no more extensions?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Private Speech posted:

It was February, they were still riding high on the election and he thought he'd have a year to threaten any opposition into silence and get cheers from his large majority rather than all the open corruption being exposed during a pandemic and still pissing off the MPs and big business because of the lock downs.

I think a last minute capitulation by the Tories is possible but it's a close run thing.

Edit: lol wait the deadline for that was July. Yeah he's just thirsty for Brexit and it's no deal.

namesake fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 6, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hardly a surprise when the toilets are one of the only places a student might be able to get some privacy in a boarding school.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't almost always specifically boys going into girls' toilets.

LIke, Rowling has clearly had this concept on her mind in some form for decades.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1335516833412214784?s=19

Ugh.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Question IRL posted:

I'm in two minds about if there will be a Brexit deal reached in time.

Same, I'm in that weird space where I can easily see a no deal brexit, while at the same time I can easily see a full Boris capitulation and a soft brexit that leaves little changed from day to day.
I just have no idea which way its going to go - but after the 2019 elections, I'm assuming the worst.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

In theory could they still pull the plug on Brexit and walk it back?

Political discourse aside

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

I might be wrong but I'm fairly certain it was Boris who did.

And no there's nothing they can do, except maybe try to get an EEA-like deal quickly.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

They just don't learn do they?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Vigil for Virgil posted:

As far as I understand it, no.
Brexit was agreed and signed into law last year.
A transitional period was put in place for the year post Brexit (so 2020) to allow for what deals are supposed to be in place in the post Brexit hellscape.
As you can see that year was pissed away, largely by people who wanted a no deal Brexit or people who thought that if they played Hardball that all the EU would capitulate.

That has not happened.
In fact even if common sense broke out and the Government decided to call it off, nothing can be done. You are out of the EU, and would have to formally apply to rejoin.

But the UK has acted as if Brexit is still coming, and it will be great when it gets here lads.
It hasn't. This is Demon Souls territory. You've just been playing the prologue and are about to get a message saying "Now the real Brexit begins."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Brexit happened in January

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

All it really seems to get you is facebook screeds how "the government's done a good job in a bad situation, actually".

Though that might just be my facebook wall, anyway.

a better job than governments in spain, italy and belgium - but not as good as the US, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I mean quite clearly yes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bit short for a screed, but a good demonstration.

Also yes, the UK hasn't been literally the worst in the world this time around, good effort.

e: In particular "worse at handling Covid than the US" is not a shining accolade.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 6, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

boogle should be a search engine for dance moves.

booble should be... never mind.

edit. lol it is.

*updates homepage*

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MonkeyLibFront posted:

The use of the Skull comes from around 1760 when the 17th Lancers were raised.
:science::skeltal:?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/dsquareddigest/status/1335531351005683713?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vigil for Virgil posted:

No, they said the exact opposite - we could have freely extended the transition period until as late as the end of 2022 if required, and could have done so as late as July. That we didn't do this in the middle of the worst global health crisis in a century is entirely on the head of Boris Johnson.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The guardian unsurprisingly going all in on the transphobic today

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

What's that, Brexit deadline is coming up and the EU hasn't capitulated? Better stir up some culture wars poo poo to distract everyone

"Millwall fans who booed footballers taking a knee in opposition to racism should “always be respected”, the cabinet minister George Eustice has said"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Question IRL posted:

Yes, imo. There are a lot of idiots out there who think they won the war and suffering and death will harden people but who also break down into a roaring, tearful mess over the smallest inconvenience or slight to them personally

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yup. 50k+ deaths don't have a personal impact on the majority of people, or if they do, it's one they can write off (Nan was old and had dementia, she would probably have ied soon anyway, etc) but not being able to get orange juice or whatever? Enraging.

People, sadly, by and large, simply don't CARE about people outside their monkeysphere.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Niric posted:

What's that, Brexit deadline is coming up and the EU hasn't capitulated? Better stir up some culture wars poo poo to distract everyone

"Millwall fans who booed footballers taking a knee in opposition to racism should “always be respected”, the cabinet minister George Eustice has said"

Otoh, put them in jail. Then march them through the streets and allow people to throw tomatoes at them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Did you actually not know what a totenkopf is?
Oh come on. That is not a normal word to know.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

thread hivemind,
Every loving time someone shows their arse and gets dunked they fall back on this word, loving hell.

You can have dissenting opinions in here. Expect them to be challenged though.

Vitamin P posted:

Chamber of Secrets - Girls toilet is where they brew the potion to change their bodies
Saw a viral post ages ago about how Rowling at a basic level understands body dysmorphia.

In one of the books / films they all take polyjuice potion to look like Harry. They pull off the scheme they meant to, they meet up later but Hermione is freaking out* because something went wrong and she hasn't changed back yet.

Notably, she's not freaking out about looking like Harry, she is freaking out about actually being a girl, trapped in the appearance of a boy, and facing the prospect of having to live out the rest of her life being regarded as a boy.

And it's like... She loving had it. Right there, she understood and conceptualised the basic problem. She has the capacity to see this from a trans person's perspective. She just doesn't want to, and all the terf poo poo is an active attempt to pull her mind away from the perspective of the trans person in case she suddenly realises she is wrong.

* In the bathroom, I'm pretty sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh come on. That is not a normal word to know.

I mean, maybe but like if multiple people are using it and seem very animated about it I would probably type it into google?

Like even if you don't know the word you might maybe wonder why people keep saying it's a nazi thing and not just think "oh they think all skulls are nazis" especially in a thread full of people who know political poo poo?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Saw a viral post ages ago about how Rowling at a basic level understands body dysmorphia.

In one of the books / films they all take polyjuice potion to look like Harry. They pull off the scheme they meant to, they meet up later but Hermione is freaking out* because something went wrong and she hasn't changed back yet.

Notably, she's not freaking out about looking like Harry, she is freaking out about actually being a girl, trapped in the appearance of a boy, and facing the prospect of having to live out the rest of her life being regarded as a boy.

And it's like... She loving had it. Right there, she understood and conceptualised the basic problem. She has the capacity to see this from a trans person's perspective. She just doesn't want to, and all the terf poo poo is an active attempt to pull her mind away from the perspective of the trans person in case she suddenly realises she is wrong.

* In the bathroom, I'm pretty sure.

The other critical point is that she is always referred to as a she throughout, despite presumably being entirely "biologically" male.

She absolutely understands the concept, or has the ability to, but she just doesn't like it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 6, 2020

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's 50000 deaths of mostly people over 70, which is only a rough 10% increase on the amount of people over 70 who die every year anyways. If it was 50000 people in the prime of their life who might be known to media personalities, the reporting would be more distraught. But as long as the deaths aren't visible people are fine letting them happen - like all the deaths from car accidents that happen yearly.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

especially in a thread full of people who know political poo poo?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The tories killed 200,000 people in order to wreck the economy for no reason. Nobody is gonna care if a disease killed them under their watch.

They quite literally believe gov shouldn't interfere and the people who died did so because of a moral failing and there's too many people anyway