Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Communist Thoughts posted:

The tories killed 200,000 people in order to wreck the economy for no reason. Nobody is gonna care if a disease killed them under their watch.

They quite literally believe gov shouldn't interfere and the people who died did so because of a moral failing and there's too many people anyway

A lot of the dead are from age groups that overwhelmingly vote tory though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh come on. That is not a normal word to know.

Every loving time someone shows their arse and gets dunked they fall back on this word, loving hell.

You can have dissenting opinions in here. Expect them to be challenged though.

Saw a viral post ages ago about how Rowling at a basic level understands body dysmorphia.

In one of the books / films they all take polyjuice potion to look like Harry. They pull off the scheme they meant to, they meet up later but Hermione is freaking out* because something went wrong and she hasn't changed back yet.

Notably, she's not freaking out about looking like Harry, she is freaking out about actually being a girl, trapped in the appearance of a boy, and facing the prospect of having to live out the rest of her life being regarded as a boy.

And it's like... She loving had it. Right there, she understood and conceptualised the basic problem. She has the capacity to see this from a trans person's perspective. She just doesn't want to, and all the terf poo poo is an active attempt to pull her mind away from the perspective of the trans person in case she suddenly realises she is wrong.

* In the bathroom, I'm pretty sure.

Sorry to have to reveal my Harry Potter knowledge (I was young!) but the viral post lied to you. The mistake turned her into a cat person, so Hermoine was freaking out about spending the rest of her life as a furry.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ednamamame posted:

Sorry to have to reveal my Harry Potter knowledge (I was young!) but the viral post lied to you. The mistake turned her into a cat person, so Hermoine was freaking out about spending the rest of her life as a furry.

To be fair I think it's conflating two different examples - in Chamber of Secrets she's upset about being stuck in a cat body, and in Deathly Hallows they get her pronouns correct when she's biologically male after becoming Harry.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And it's like... She loving had it. Right there, she understood and conceptualised the basic problem. She has the capacity to see this from a trans person's perspective. She just doesn't want to, and all the terf poo poo is an active attempt to pull her mind away from the perspective of the trans person in case she suddenly realises she is wrong.

* In the bathroom, I'm pretty sure.

There's so much of the series that appealed to queer folks, but sadly that all seems like projection on their part because despite the appeal of a story involving somebody locked in a closet before finding out their real identity after a life-changing revelation, Rowling's writing is too literal and her attempts at allegory are awful.

Anyway. Did I miss the discourse in here about Bell vs. Tavistock? I saw a tweet earlier this week saying just how little the story is making waves outside of trans circles and yesterday had that confirmed when I found out one of my Guardian-reading friends didn't realise the Guardian is TERF loving central for the UK.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tasting notes: definitely rich and plummy, but quite weak after the initial first impression. a confusing mess of flavours with no cohesive theme. also a faint tinge of wet egg

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Well apologies anyway. The conflation between the two scenes is probably why my brain found it familiar.

Anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/06/we-wont-be-cash-cows-uk-students-plan-the-largest-rent-strike-in-40-years

‘We won’t be cash cows’: UK students plan the largest rent strike in 40 years

Fed up with paying for halls they cannot use, residents demand universities take action

quote:

Student activists are preparing for the biggest wave of university rent strikes in four decades amid growing frustration at heavy-handed hall lockdowns, the prospect of paying for empty rooms and little face-to-face teaching when they eventually return in the new year.

There are at least 20 rent strikes currently under way or being organised on campuses, with activists at both Oxford and Sussex universities this week signing up hundreds of students ahead of the new term. Other institutions also preparing action include Goldsmiths, University of London, and Edinburgh and Cambridge universities.

Matthew Lee from Rent Strike, a grassroots group that is coordinating many of the campaigns, said students were fed up with being treated as cash cows for universities, especially in the midst of a pandemic when in-person teaching and campus life was so limited. “This is the biggest wave of student renter militancy in over 40 years,” said Lee. “The last time there was resistance on this scale was in the mid-1970s.”

Activists across the country are hoping to emulate a successful mass rent strike at Manchester University, which last month led it to cut rent in its halls by 30% for this term. However, the first-year students, who organised the campaign, are determined to join other universities to force rent cuts for the rest of the academic year.

The number of students pledging to withhold rent has tripled, with almost 600 ready to strike in January.

“We are going to keep withholding our rent,” said Ben McGowan, one of the Manchester organisers, who hasn’t had any real face-to-face teaching yet. “And we are helping other universities set up their own strikes because every student in the country deserves a rent cut.”

The movement in the city has been growing since hundreds of hall residents tore down fences erected to prevent them moving freely around the campus last month, intended, according to the university, as means to stop the spread of the virus.

McGowan said students are expecting rent cuts to cover the government’s staggered return, which will see students on non-practical courses come back across a five-week period. “Students should not be paying for halls when they are not there,” he said.

Nearly 200 students have pledged to withhold their rent in Sussex. “In 24 hours, we got 198 names,” said Ellie Concannon from Sussex Renters Union. “Students are getting desperate because money is going to very tight over the Christmas period.”

Concannon added there wasn’t enough support for new students struggling to make friends on largely shut-down campuses or to help them find scarce part-time work. “There are loads of students in dire situations … but there’s no availability for mental health services for months,” she said.

In Cambridge, more than 400 students have promised to join a rent strike amid anger at redundancies in some colleges. “The colleges are so rich they absolutely have the means to make rent cuts and ensure staff are not laid off,” said Laura Hone from Rent Strike Cambridge. “Yet they continually put profit ahead of the welfare of students and staff. They are run like businesses – that has become particularly stark in the context of the pandemic.”

Hone stressed that the strikes sweeping the country were about more than disruption during the pandemic. “The education system should prioritise the welfare of students and staff, but universities are not going to come to this conclusion on their own. Students have to make them listen and rent is the most powerful leverage we have.”

The largest rent strike in the country is at Bristol University, where more than 1,400 students have been demanding rent cuts, more support and no-penalty contract releases. They plan to continue next term and have signed up 200 more students in recent weeks.

“The national rent strike movement is really picking up speed,” said Saranya Thambirajah, one of the first-year strikers in the university’s halls. “We are going to keep on fighting for a 30% cut for the whole academic year.”

The National Union of Students president, Larissa Kennedy, said students had been encouraged to move into halls because universities were heavily dependent on rents and tuition fees. “Students have been essentially lied to,” she said. “They were told campuses would be safe and there would be face-to-face teaching but, within days of arriving, many found teaching was completely online – or everything bar two hours of in-person teaching was online. Understandably, students feel like they been trapped on campuses so universities can collect rent and fees.”

Kennedy said the increasing discontent was a “very clear rejection” of the post-2012 funding model for higher education, which requires universities to generate more revenue from students to make up for reduced funding from central government. “Universities have turned into mega landlords, collecting millions of pounds in rent every year,” she said. “A massive chunk of the inadequate maintenance support most students get is funnelled straight into these institutional landlords.”

Research by the NUS found that the average rent for student accommodation accounted for 73% of the student loan in 2018, up from 58% in 2012. Universities generated £1.9bn from residential operations, including hall rents, in the last academic year.

Bristol University said it would be offering students a 30% rent rebate for seven weeks to reflect the staggered return in 2021, along with penalty-free contract releases for students whose health has been impacted.

A Manchester University spokesperson said: “The university will be unable to provide further reductions, but students can decide to break their accommodation contract without financial penalty.”

The University of Sussex said staff were working tirelessly to ensure that living on campus was possible during the pandemic. Cambridge University said the majority of its students appreciated the high-quality education it had provided.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It's funny how some things just stick. The first thing that comes to mind when I see or hear Keir is wet eggs. In fact it is the only thing that comes to mind

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
https://twitter.com/Rachel_Ish_/status/1335522053479403523?s=19
gently caress this country gently caress this country

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Maugham wrote a piece some time back on the wider implications for the Bell case on the ability for kids to consent to things like birth control and abortion: https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1335113639171420162

In short, the Bell decision is loving terrible, for trans kids, pregnant kids and all sorts of other kids too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1335290858128588800?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Rachel_Ish_/status/1335568953989603328?s=19
Puberty blockers: Simultaneously ineffective, and dangerous enough that under 16s can't consent to their use.

gently caress's sake.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 6, 2020

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Lungboy posted:

Maugham wrote a piece some time back on the wider implications for the Bell case on the ability for kids to consent to things like birth control and abortion: https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1335113639171420162

In short, the Bell decision is loving terrible, for trans kids, pregnant kids and all sorts of other kids too.

The GCs formed this alliance to tackle blockers (and it's now shifted to "don't even think about gender affirmation" in the space of a few days), but to the lawyer/Heritage Foundation that was never the goal. They already hate everybody that's not cishet, but if they can use trans issues as a wedge to overturn birth control/abortion/body autonomy/gay rights... well, they've already started their campaign in Ireland.

Also I hate how this whole thing is making me respect Jolyon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Not the Corbyn we need, but the fox murderer we deserve.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/Rachel_Ish_/status/1335568953989603328?s=19
Puberty blockers: Simultaneously ineffective, and dangerous enough that under 16s can't consent to their use.

gently caress's sake.

thus, by a continual

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jedit posted:

No, they said the exact opposite - we could have freely extended the transition period until as late as the end of 2022 if required, and could have done so as late as July. That we didn't do this in the middle of the worst global health crisis in a century is entirely on the head of Boris Johnson.

Isn't it politically advantageous for the tories to be able to muddle consequences of brexit with consequences of the pandemic?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Isn't it politically advantageous for the tories to be able to muddle consequences of brexit with consequences of the pandemic?

For whoever takes over from Johnson in March/April, sure

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gort posted:

A lot of the dead are from age groups that overwhelmingly vote tory though

the tories may well get voted out, but they're not gonna suffer any consequences for the deaths and like the austerity deaths we won't draw any conclusions about the british state and bringing it up, even under a keith government, will be portrayed as hysterical

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

To reaffirm what's been said, Brexit has de jure happened already, the EU now has 27 members and is proceeding on that basis. It will de facto happen in 26 days, after Johnson rejected the no-brainer extension.

Because rules are made up by humans, it is just barely conceivable that during the transition period, an extremely pro-EU UK gov with a large majority and a clear backing from the people could have persuaded the EU to pretend that this year never happened, and slide us back in with some legal sleight of hand. But given the actual government we have, they want this over asap.

Previously I've talked about the two options that are left being no deal, and a very thin deal that keeps the planes flying and the medicines flowing and not much else. I'm not totally clear how the latter will work, considering the old deadline for a deal was mid-October (?) to give the members time to ratify it. I imagine that will necessarily make it even thinner.

Interesting idea that they could just throw in the towel and go "fine, EEA-like" - obviously that goes against the entire point of Brexit for many, but it would be too late to do anything about it. But while the concept of EEA-like is ready made, I'm not sure there's time to turn it around in practice. So my prediction is still no deal, or a thin deal that gets trumpeted by the press as "See? It's all fine, project fear", but leaning more towards no deal because the remaining sticking points (esp level playing field) are still ones that Johnson and co claim to be dealbreakers.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 6, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
How would 'no deal' be trumpeted by the press as 'fine'?

It's going to be chaos.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

By writing 1500 word fanfics about how much worse it would be if Corbyn was PM.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's going to be chaos.

Tories control the press...

Or rather, the Tories have enough friends in high places in enough of the press to make it seem like it's good for them.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I love that the government are running TV ads compelling businesses to prepare for the transition at the end of the month, but with no deal signed we have no idea what we’re transitioning into, and it’s impossible to prepare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they've already said however many dead we've had and all the job losses are either fine or the fault of the woke warrior "don't want people to get sick and die" brigade.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's going to be chaos.

Added comma for clarity. The "wafer thin deal" would be trumpeted as fine, because it is a deal, therefore anyone who warned about no deal was a scaremongering remoaner. This, even though the thin deal would be the same as no deal for many sectors.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bobstar posted:

To reaffirm what's been said, Brexit has de jure happened already, the EU now has 27 members and is proceeding on that basis. It will de facto happen in 26 days, after Johnson rejected the no-brainer extension.

Because rules are made up by humans, it is just barely conceivable that during the transition period, an extremely pro-EU UK gov with a large majority and a clear backing from the people could have persuaded the EU to pretend that this year never happened, and slide us back in with some legal sleight of hand. But given the actual government we have, they want this over asap.

Previously I've talked about the two options that are left being no deal, and a very thin deal that keeps the planes flying and the medicines flowing and not much else. I'm not totally clear how the latter will work, considering the old deadline for a deal was mid-October (?) to give the members time to ratify it. I imagine that will necessarily make it even thinner.

Interesting idea that they could just throw in the towel and go "fine, EEA-like" - obviously that goes against the entire point of Brexit for many, but it would be too late to do anything about it. But while the concept of EEA-like is ready made, I'm not sure there's time to turn it around in practice. So my prediction is still no deal, or a thin deal that gets trumpeted by the press as "See? It's all fine, project fear", but leaning more towards no deal because the remaining sticking points (esp level playing field) are still ones that Johnson and co claim to be dealbreakers.

A full English breakfast might give you some indigestion later on, but that is the price you have to pay. Same with a full English brexit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

the uk is only going to get trade deals with countries who have similar flag patterns

Vitamin P posted:

They really do don't they?

Philosphers Stone - Big scary troll invades girls toilet
Chamber of Secrets - Girls toilet is where they brew the potion to change their bodies (also that toilet is haunted by a girl that got killed by a snake in it years ago)
Prisoner of Azkaban - ????
Goblet of Fire - Fancy prefect bathroom is where Cedric and Harry figure out the egg puzzle/get perved on by the ghost girl
Order of the Phoenix - People get into the government by flushing themselves down the toilet
Half-Blood Prince - Harry nearly kills Draco in the girls toilet
Deathly Hallows - Voldemort invades Harrys brain, he goes to the toilet to cry and be sick

It's not enough to be a theme exactly but she does love a toilet.

let's not forget that the lady ghost is a complete perv and consistently and inappropriately spies on people in the bath or using the bathroom to get her rocks off

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

mediaphage posted:

let's not forget that the lady ghost is a complete perv and consistently and inappropriately spies on people in the bath or using the bathroom to get her rocks off

You're a ghost stuck as a horny teenager for eternity - seems pretty plausible to me.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Perv ghost and the action constantly taking place in the bogs are both good + hilarious aspects of Harry Potter, sorry. JK Rowling can still get in the bin, as per.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Tories control the press...

Or rather, the Tories have enough friends in high places in enough of the press to make it seem like it's good for them.

though i think now they've got a business-friendly government bagholder as leader of the opposition the press might be more willing to drop the tories slightly

the issue i guess is that they don't trust the labour membership who are woke lefty luvvies, which is why kier is prosecuting the war against the membership that started under corbyn as a guerilla campaign and is now being run from the leadership itself

if he can successfully kill the labour membership and make enough backroom deals with rich pedophiles then the media and big money will feel more comfortable trying to push labour into power

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It still tracks because there is now and forever a permenant bathroom inspector in the womens bog.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
to be clear i chuckled at some of it, too. i just think it's worth pointing out in discussion of her overall politics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ms Adequate posted:

It is an interesting constitutional question about what happens if a part of an existing country wants to join the US and how that would work. I uh, I don't think Scotland would be super eager for that path though.

I mean I assume it's just as any other part wanting to become a state really, and it's actually more a political than constitutional question, but you know.

yes. the constitution forbids making anywhere a state that doesn't vote for it first. so scotland would have to vote to become a state and make the application to congress. then congress would vote and if it passed by a two-thirds majority, they'd be a state of the union and assigned two senators and ~ 8 representatives.

i mean this would never happen of course but i do like the idea of scottish legislators joining congress and just putting up with absolutely no poo poo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mediaphage posted:

Let's also not forget that in the movie the actress who played her spying on Harry in the bath was 35 years old at the time.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
An argument:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1333374935528583175

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That old Jermany Crobins man grows anti-semitic vegetables in his allotment, i heard :mad:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Depends how 'turning on brexit' it defined. I don't think people are going to be happy with how Brexit turns out. But I have no idea if anyone even remotely to blame is going to take the brunt of the ire. Brexit the idea isn't the same thing as Brexit, the thing that's about to happen.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Depends how 'turning on brexit' it defined. I don't think people are going to be happy with how Brexit turns out. But I have no idea if anyone even remotely to blame is going to take the brunt of the ire. Brexit the idea isn't the same thing as Brexit, the thing that's about to happen.

When you think about it like this, the folly becomes apparent of spending three years insisting that every other possible route to take (that wasn't a second referendum) belonged to the Brexiteers and the Brexiteers alone.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

outside of some obvious spectacles like the port queues brexit is just gonna be a continuation of us circling the drain

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

crispix posted:

That old Jermany Crobins man grows anti-semitic vegetables in his allotment, i heard :mad:

Totalitarian vegetables?

How much did it cost Neil?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Comrade Fakename posted:

I love that the government are running TV ads compelling businesses to prepare for the transition at the end of the month, but with no deal signed we have no idea what we’re transitioning into, and it’s impossible to prepare.

It's basically getting told that the local gangster is looking for you and is really angry about something. You don't exactly know what's happened but you're going to get some sort of a battering before all is said and done.

Leavers keep not changing their mind because everything that has happened has happened on tv. The various international connections that impact their lives will only become apparent once severed, even if it's lovely bourgie concerns like they can't get European labour for cheap any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I am a little skeptical - the usual suspects in the press have been angling for "blame Europe for the deal" for a while now but I don't know that this will actually stick