Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

DirtyRobot posted:

Is there a switch that has the tactile feel of blues but... silent*? Browns aren't really doing it for me. Is there some niche switch that might do this, and would be compatible with the new hot-swappable keychron k2?

* or "closer to" silent.

There are basically no silent clucky switches, but there are silent tactile switches that are much more tactile than browns.

My recommendation would be to try Gazzew Boba U4s (I have 70 I could sell you at cost) and Zilents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

.Z. posted:

If anyone is in the market for a macropad with a rotary encoder, the CU7 GB went live. Not cheap though, $80 without any switches.

https://caps-unlocked.com/cu7/

what do people use rotary encoders for, serious question

in the last six months I have seen people start to buy them and I have no idea what the gently caress they're using them for other than the world's most expensive volume knob, and if that's what you want, I think it's literally cheaper to buy an entry level (pre)amp lol

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

in the last six months I have seen people start to buy them and I have no idea what the gently caress they're using them for other than the world's most expensive volume knob, and if that's what you want, I think it's literally cheaper to buy an entry level (pre)amp lol
The more common uses I've seen cited are timeline scrubbing in video editing software and zoom in/out

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

DirtyRobot posted:

Is there a switch that has the tactile feel of blues but... silent*? Browns aren't really doing it for me. Is there some niche switch that might do this, and would be compatible with the new hot-swappable keychron k2?

* or "closer to" silent.

There is actually... If you have a lot of time and patience, look up the Jailhouse Blues mod.

https://drop.com/talk/205/my-take-on-the-jailhouse-blues-switch-mod

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

Lol I love rotary encoders, but yeah for the ones on the keyboard I mostly just use it for a volume knob and as a scroll wheel. I've since moved on to using a dedicated MIDI controller though. For that I use it for individual app volume control and mute in Windows. Then a whole bunch of sliders for Lightroom and colour correction in Premiere.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

I do a ton of creative work where just about every application has about a hundred different things that use sliders or require tuning along a wide range of values. It works great for that sort of thing instead of clicking the same button like a hundred times or typing in different values for minutes at a time. For 3D CG especially, being able to adjust light values with a rotary encoder is real game-changer.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Thank you, friends.

interrodactyl posted:

There are basically no silent clucky switches, but there are silent tactile switches that are much more tactile than browns.

My recommendation would be to try Gazzew Boba U4s (I have 70 I could sell you at cost) and Zilents.

PM'd.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FWIW I have the Box Navy and really like them. I wouldn't futz with the Jades honestly. Some people had issues with the switch not returning, presumably because the lighter spring weight. Some people are perfectly happy with them and don't have the issue though so :shrug:

I am still seriously considering the CU7. The only reasons I haven't bought it yet are: 1) They had some issues with their last GB. It was kind of a poo poo show. and 2) the ROTR exists. GB goes live in a week.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107104.0

The ROTR looks neat. The CU7 is very overpriced.

That said, I'm not sure why so many keebs still keep using the ATmega32U4. You can use an ARM M-0 that's 6x faster and 4x flash size that's cheaper and doesn't need an xtal, and runs other firmware like ZMK. The ATmega stuff is just so needlessly expensive for what you get.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

DirtyRobot posted:

* or "closer to" silent.

I've been trying to find this same thing, since I love the feel of cherry blues but friends and coworkers have been bugging me a bit about keyboard noises on voice calls.

I ended up ordering a GMMK and their switch sample pack so I could try out a bunch of different options. I'm really liking the feel of the Kailh box brown switch. It's more tactile than a standard cherry brown, and has a sharper tactility that matches well with the feel of the clicky switch in a cherry blue. I'm probably going to order a set of box browns for my GMMK now.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Gearman posted:

I do a ton of creative work where just about every application has about a hundred different things that use sliders or require tuning along a wide range of values. It works great for that sort of thing instead of clicking the same button like a hundred times or typing in different values for minutes at a time. For 3D CG especially, being able to adjust light values with a rotary encoder is real game-changer.

You're better off with an X-Touch Mini imo. Encoders on keyboards are pretty neat, but just having one or 2 isn't enough for actually being productive with it. Though it'd be interesting if some lunatic designs one with a ton of knobs and see if the community has enough interest or not.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I've looked in to them, but they just take up too much space on my desk and there are still a ton of keybinds on the keyboard that I have to use so I still need the keyboard to be very accessible. I'm typically only modifying one thing at a time, whether it's light temperature, intensity, or various colors when I'm doing color work, so I don't have a strong need beyond one or two dials anyway.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just spent $150 bucks on two apple keyboards (the silver wired ones with usb from 2007-2017). They are the only keyboard (other than Logitiech mx keys) that does not bother my hands for long periods of time, and have the perfect amount of travel. Just kicking myself that I didn't buy ten when they were only $50 a pop.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LionArcher posted:

I just spent $150 bucks on two apple keyboards (the silver wired ones with usb from 2007-2017). They are the only keyboard (other than Logitiech mx keys) that does not bother my hands for long periods of time, and have the perfect amount of travel. Just kicking myself that I didn't buy ten when they were only $50 a pop.

I feel that way about the 122 key Model F. They were $100-130 or so when I got back into mechanical keyboards, but before the big resurgence in popularity. I thought, well, those are a little expensive, I'll hold off and pick one up some time. Now they all seem to be 300-400+.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ijyt posted:

When is someone going to make one with a numpad quantity of keys for not almost £200 (lmao)

There have been plenty (non metal ones) you just have to keep an ear to the ground for group buys.

Radpad and Soy20 are two recent ones that spring to mind although I'm sure there are many others.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Any Keychron wireless keyboard owners in here who can tell me how good the Bluetooth connection is? I was reading a few reviews that said it took a while to wake up from sleep - or would lose connection - which would be Bad.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
When it goes to sleep, it pops the macos "bluetooth disconnected" thing front and center and when it wakes up it pops the "bluetooth connected" thing front and center

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Any recommendations for a first time Topre? I'm leaning towards a Realforce R2 with 55g keys.

I'm not a textbook perfect typist but I average above 80wpm, so im not like, slow, if that matters lmao. I've only used Cherry Blues and Browns extensively. I liked Cherry blues the best, but everyone finds them annoying so I switched to browns. My current 8 year old brown keyboard isn't very pleasant, so I want an upgrade. I've tried both red and black cherry switches too, but they just aren't satisfying to type on.

As far as concern with the Realforce, I guess the only thing stopping me is that I play a lot of video games. Someone tell me they are perfectly fine for silver 2 level csgo matchmaking please

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's fine for gaming. I have a Topre TypeHeaven that I used for a long time in my office. If you're just looking for a board that is quieter, there are many many options other than Topre that are cheaper and (in the opinion of many people) better feeling switches.

The other bit is that Topre is gonna hugely limit your selection of other custom keycaps and whatnot.

Personally I'm not a fan of the silenced tactile style switches in the vein of Topre or any number of other variants like silenced Zealios. I prefer linear switches for silenced boards, I feel like it just feels better because you get a smooth linear switch with the slight bump on either end from the rubber bumpers, vs a tactile switch that has a bump in the middle of the key press as well as rubber bumps on the top and bottom of the stroke.

Regardless, silenced switches are gonna be on the more expensive end of the spectrum, but at the same time, they're *all* cheaper than a Topre board. So I'd suggest getting a basic modular board like the GMMK or a nicer one like one of the Drop CTRL/ALT/SHIFT variants, and then playing around with a selection of switches in it instead. https://zealpc.net/products/zilent or https://kbdfans.com/products/pre-orderaliaz-silent-switch-tactile are both options. I would certainly get a sampler pack first, because you might find you enjoy linears after giving them a chance. I do think that full on clicky style switches are *the* most satisfying to type on, but that definitely does come with the noise factor as a drawback.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Gwaihir posted:

It's fine for gaming. I have a Topre TypeHeaven that I used for a long time in my office. If you're just looking for a board that is quieter, there are many many options other than Topre that are cheaper and (in the opinion of many people) better feeling switches.

The other bit is that Topre is gonna hugely limit your selection of other custom keycaps and whatnot.

Personally I'm not a fan of the silenced tactile style switches in the vein of Topre or any number of other variants like silenced Zealios. I prefer linear switches for silenced boards, I feel like it just feels better because you get a smooth linear switch with the slight bump on either end from the rubber bumpers, vs a tactile switch that has a bump in the middle of the key press as well as rubber bumps on the top and bottom of the stroke.

Regardless, silenced switches are gonna be on the more expensive end of the spectrum, but at the same time, they're *all* cheaper than a Topre board. So I'd suggest getting a basic modular board like the GMMK or a nicer one like one of the Drop CTRL/ALT/SHIFT variants, and then playing around with a selection of switches in it instead. https://zealpc.net/products/zilent or https://kbdfans.com/products/pre-orderaliaz-silent-switch-tactile are both options. I would certainly get a sampler pack first, because you might find you enjoy linears after giving them a chance. I do think that full on clicky style switches are *the* most satisfying to type on, but that definitely does come with the noise factor as a drawback.

Thanks for the info! Although, I should of clarified, I have a private office now so I can clack away, but I'm ultimately seeking the best typing experience regardless of cash or noise, so that's why I've been looking at Topre. I'm not super into custom keycaps or anything, and gaming's the only thing making me hesitate but it sounds like I'll probably be fine.

I'm thinking I just return or sell it if I do hate it and pick up one of those sweet modular boards next though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah! If you like blues, then get something with Kailh box whites. Box whites are basically Cherry blues, except better and way more satisfying to type on in every way. The click and feel are both sharper and more distinct. Stock is really sketchy for a lot of boards right now though, because, well, covid and whatnot.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=523

This is definitely just personal preference talking, but I think that Topre itself has been surpassed pretty handily in the premium keyboard space. The price is still as high as ever, but the key feel just doesn't really match up unless you really really like their particular quasi-squishy tactile feel. If your favorite key till now is an MX blue I don't think you'd enjoy a Topre board.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I tried a Topre keyboard a few years ago. I had been using cherry blues and browns for several years at that point, but a friend of mine hyped up Topre switches so much that I was really excited to try them myself.

I ended up hating the Topre switches so much that I returned the keyboard to Amazon within a day.

While a lot of people do like Topre switches, they aren't the ultimate keyboard experience and there is no guarantee you'll enjoy them. I'd find a low investment way to try them first.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Shogunner posted:

Thanks for the info! Although, I should of clarified, I have a private office now so I can clack away, but I'm ultimately seeking the best typing experience regardless of cash or noise, so that's why I've been looking at Topre. I'm not super into custom keycaps or anything, and gaming's the only thing making me hesitate but it sounds like I'll probably be fine.

I'm thinking I just return or sell it if I do hate it and pick up one of those sweet modular boards next though.

I've been using a knockoff Topre clone board reviewed here that goes for about $130 on Amazon and I'm a big fan for general use and games.. I couldn't compare it to the real deal Topre, though the guy doing the review claims he favors the clones, and I'd say it's a definite upgrade from my own personal experiences with non-customized switches.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shogunner posted:

Thanks for the info! Although, I should of clarified, I have a private office now so I can clack away, but I'm ultimately seeking the best typing experience regardless of cash or noise, so that's why I've been looking at Topre.

It’s buckling springs.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Eric the Mauve posted:

It’s buckling springs.

Orange Alps :colbert:

or beamsprings, maybe, but I haven't tried those. tactile/clicky switches peaked in the 1980's, prove me wrong

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 8, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Gwaihir posted:

Regardless, silenced switches are gonna be on the more expensive end of the spectrum, but at the same time, they're *all* cheaper than a Topre board. So I'd suggest getting a basic modular board like the GMMK or a nicer one like one of the Drop CTRL/ALT/SHIFT variants, and then playing around with a
selection of switches in it instead. https://zealpc.net/products/zilent or https://kbdfans.com/products/pre-orderaliaz-silent-switch-tactile

FWIW I've found the Aliaz silent tactiles to be barely tactile at all (like only barely more tactile than browns), but some people might like that!

also Box Jades >>> Box Whites imo 'cause of that thicc clicc but I also do not like Blues for the same reasons I don't like Box Whites (too light for me and I prefer a deeper click).

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 8, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I got some of them on a switch tester and was not a fan. They just sorta felt mushy. I would not suggest them personally, but they were somewhat similar to Topre if that's what someone was going for.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

TheFluff posted:

Orange Alps :colbert:

My (wo/)man.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stroop There It Is posted:

FWIW I've found the Aliaz silent tactiles to be barely tactile at all (like only barely more tactile than browns), but some people might like that!

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, I got some of them on a switch tester and was not a fan. They just sorta felt mushy. I would not suggest them personally, but they were somewhat similar to Topre if that's what someone was going for.

I've never ordered any because I looked at photos of the stem and honestly don't know the difference between Aliaz and gateron silent brown - just lube and gold plated springs? The tactile bump looks identical

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mewse posted:

I've never ordered any because I looked at photos of the stem and honestly don't know the difference between Aliaz and gateron silent brown - just lube and gold plated springs? The tactile bump looks identical

I've tried both and couldn't tell the difference at all. For all intents and purposes, I'd consider them identical.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Any Keychron wireless keyboard owners in here who can tell me how good the Bluetooth connection is? I was reading a few reviews that said it took a while to wake up from sleep - or would lose connection - which would be Bad.

I have had zero problems with my K8 an I use it exclusively in bluetooth mode with my Microsoft Surface.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TheFluff posted:

or beamsprings

It's beamsprings + solenoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qw6ebySet0

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Chyrosran22 has the best keyboard videos, but man is his typing technique wacky

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
My Realforce R2 arrived. First keypress was like "wow this is a rubberdome for $260 lmao" but then I started typing more with it and going back to my old MX brown board, and I gotta say I'm really digging the cushioned bottom out, a lot. The entire thing just feels so high quality all over. My old space bar feels so cheap after 15 minutes of typing on this thing. It's like the G15 I grew up with glo'd up in every possible way. It's cushioned, has the same sort of noise, but really that's where the similarities* stop for me. The entire keypress feels nice. Given, I haven't tried a nice custom mechanical keyboard with non-MX switches, but not sure if I want to go down the rabbit hole further.

Also I went straight for the 55g. I don't think fatigue will be an issue but I'm a heavy typist.

Am I coping for the $$$? maybe

edit: i made a typo and had the pleasure of correcting it and now im writing this edit thock thock THOCK THOCK

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 9, 2020

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You now have to buy several more $260 keyboards so that you can be objective about it. Duh.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

teethgrinder posted:

You now have to buy several more $260 keyboards so that you can be objective about it. Duh.

in another timeline I would have already bought another one for my office

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Vaccines are arriving! Do your research before it's too late!!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Are switch films worth the effort? I am about to rip apart my drop alt for the first time to replace the mx browns and stabilizers. I have holy pandas and halo clears to try.

Since I am going to go through the effort of lubing any switches I use, should I buy those drat films that reduce wobble?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Are switch films worth the effort? I am about to rip apart my drop alt for the first time to replace the mx browns and stabilizers. I have holy pandas and halo clears to try.

Since I am going to go through the effort of lubing any switches I use, should I buy those drat films that reduce wobble?

I bought some films, realized putting them on was hella tedious, and then read that their real use case is for older switches or switches that aren't as tightly manufactured. If you're already opening your switches you may as well, I think, but I won't claim to be a font of knowledge.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Epsilon Plus posted:

I bought some films, realized putting them on was hella tedious, and then read that their real use case is for older switches or switches that aren't as tightly manufactured. If you're already opening your switches you may as well, I think, but I won't claim to be a font of knowledge.

Kinda how I ft as well. I'll give it a go and see if I can tell a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Films are always worth it except in cases where they're pointless or useless.
But there is no hard and fast rule that filming = good / better / worth it.
Sorry if that sounds like a vague answer but stick with me and I'll explain why.

There are some switches where stem wobble really won't be improved much by filming. for Example: NK Creams. BUT you can change the sound of the switches to make them a little deeper sounding by using films. Some people such as myself prefer the sound of some switches when they have been filmed (depending on the switch and film combo).
That being said there is also a myriad of films in different materials, thicknesses, and colors and different ones will do different things to the same switch. Deskeys films are .3mm and compress a LOT. Drewkeys silicone films are .3mm and don't really compress much at all, oddly enough. TX films come in different thicknesses and do not really compress at all. Deskeys films are great on almost everything, even NK Creams. Drewkeys films are PERFECT for JWK/Durock switches because those switches are so loose and the silicone really deepens the thock. TX thin films are great on Creams and help retain that really bright poppy top end without adding to much thock.

In the end it all really comes down to preference.
I can only recommend that you try filming a few and stick them in the middle of your board alongside some unfilmed ones and see if you REALLY love/hate them or not. But also, if you already have the films then why not film them all, right?
The Alt is hotswap iirc so at least there's not a huge commitment if you don't like them filmed. You can just pop out the switches and remove the films.