Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

fisting by many posted:

If I didn't already know people drive on the left in Australia, I wouldn't have learned it from DCOA videos. How do they find all these people? How do clips like 8:52 even happen?

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

fisting by many posted:

If I didn't already know people drive on the left in Australia, I wouldn't have learned it from DCOA videos. How do they find all these people? How do clips like 8:52 even happen?

That exact situation is how my mom and her brothers knew it was time to take the keys away from grandma.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There's not just one person driving wrong way on the highway, there's a whole load of them!

Two 13cabs incidents in the same video's a bit telling. "You're a professional driver" indeed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My favorite is the one at 8:15 or so where the person takes a door off a cop car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fisting by many posted:

White Corolla, usually an old aged pensioner

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My favorite is the one at 8:15 or so where the person takes a door off a cop car.

You can't even blame the driver. If the cop had waited another second, he would have door-dinged the car.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The gall to be mad about not being given enough space on the wrong side of the road

https://i.imgur.com/NS4QOXK.mp4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godzilla07 posted:

The gall to be mad about not being given enough space on the wrong side of the road

https://i.imgur.com/NS4QOXK.mp4

I still don’t understand why we groups bicycles with the automobiles, instead of with the pedestrians. You couldn’t pay me enough money to ride (the right way) in the bike lanes in my part of the world. It’s a loving death wish.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As both a cyclist and driver I feel much more comfortable with them on the road rather than the side walk (especially if they're using the middle of the lane like a proper vehicle). A sidewalk with any pedestrians at all is no place for a bike, and the sightlines are worse when they cross intersecting streets.

Properly separated bicycle right-of-ways are the ultimate correct solution though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I still don’t understand why we groups bicycles with the automobiles, instead of with the pedestrians. You couldn’t pay me enough money to ride (the right way) in the bike lanes in my part of the world. It’s a loving death wish.

I love dodging pedestrians inches away while doing 25mph over cracked sidewalks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

and the sightlines are worse when they cross intersecting streets.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with cyclists (or scooters or any other faster-than-a-jog user) on sidewalks. The sightlines around pedestrian crossings are only usually good enough to get a slow mover.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Heeey, the Chicken Chef at 1:58 is near my place! I can indeed confirm that there are many idiots at that turn, plus the turn before it (not shown) :D

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/6cExOrh.mp4

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
he looks and behaves 100% as I expected from the long leadup.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that's just pickup_truck.avi

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
So, uh, ever done some accidental fleeing & eluding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMhabEpqF7A&t=30s

I gotta assume he wanted to get me for coming in a little hot in a 65 zone... Honestly though, I had a last-second change of heart & decided to take the State route instead of the tollway.

Start at :00 for some bonus commentary from Mr. Reznor

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So dashcam got stolen when my car got broken into.

Affordable options? I'd prefer to stay under $100, but the Viofo A129 looks pretty nice (just... $$). I'm coming from a Roav C1 that had been replaced under warranty twice (and was dying again), so most stuff will be a decent upgrade. 1080 or 2k, 120+ degree lens (but not super wide like 170), and good night video are my must-haves, and I'd prefer NOT to have built-in GPS. Micro USB power would be very nice as that means I don't need to re-run any wiring.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 5, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm at almost 2 years with this one, zero complaints. Does its job silently, never have to touch it or think about it. I like that it is reasonably low profile and not some big screen hanging down, it disappears behind my rear view where I have it mounted.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm

opengl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 5, 2020

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

I almost want to give him the benefit of doubt on a trailered vehicle taking an extra wide turn just to be safe...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

opengl128 posted:

I'm at almost 2 years with this one, zero complaints. Does its job silently, never have to touch it or think about it. I like that it is reasonably low profile and not some big screen hanging down, it disappears behind my rear view where I have it mounted.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm

The 170 degree lens is a big turnoff for me - my last one was close to that, and the field of view was so wide that it was really hard to make out details at night. Even during the day, it was kinda hard to make out license plates (also part of why I want to go to 2k if possible).

I'll keep it in mind though. I know Aukey makes good stuff, and that's a nice price.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

License plates can definitely be hard to make out. If/when I'd ever actually need one I'd just read it out loud. Probably not the best solution though.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

STR posted:

So dashcam got stolen when my car got broken into.

Affordable options? I'd prefer to stay under $100, but the Viofo A129 looks pretty nice (just... $$). I'm coming from a Roav C1 that had been replaced under warranty twice (and was dying again), so most stuff will be a decent upgrade. 1080 or 2k, 120+ degree lens (but not super wide like 170), and good night video are my must-haves, and I'd prefer NOT to have built-in GPS. Micro USB power would be very nice as that means I don't need to re-run any wiring.

Have the Viofo A129, got it a few weeks ago. Hardwired it, seems pretty nice to me. I'm pleased despite the price point

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wickerman, what's the power connection on it? Is it just a typical micro USB? If so, that's pushing me harder toward it, since I already have a hardwired micro USB cable dropping out of the headliner. Also, what's the power requirement, if you know? At the moment, I have the cable plugged to the rear USB on my stereo, which can push 1A @ 5V. May switch back to my old stereo (not as fancy, but more reliable and has more features), which pushes 1.5A from the rear USB.

I don't care about parking mode or anything like that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 5, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

STR posted:

Wickerman, what's the power connection on it? Is it just a typical micro USB? If so, that's pushing me harder toward it, since I already have a hardwired micro USB cable dropping out of the headliner. Also, what's the power requirement, if you know? At the moment, I have the cable plugged to the rear USB on my stereo, which can push 1A @ 5V. May switch back to my old stereo (not as fancy, but more reliable and has more features), which pushes 1.5A from the rear USB.

I don't care about parking mode or anything like that.

Yeah, it's just micro USB. I have the A129 Pro Duo installed (or well I had it installed until I bought a new car and I haven't bought a new hardwire kit and taken it to a place to put in because like hell I'm running this cable myself especially past a forward facing camera for lanekeeping), and the Viofo stuff is great.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I too have the A129 pro duo and it seems to be working fine. I'll be honest though, nothing has happened since I got it over 6 months ago, so haven't had a reason to check. The only bad thing is that the front plate that you can connect and power it to doesn't seem to like the power input, so I ran the micro-USB straight to the front facing cam. Apparently a common problem, but doesn't really matter more than it's an extra step if you want to remove the front camera. Oh and I've had maybe 3-4 "corrupotions" of the SD card that it bleeps about when starting it. Can sometimes be solved by restarting and formatting in the cam, but once I had to remove the SD card.
I've got a plug-in hybrid, so I don't have to worry about the battery going flat as the car pulls from the big battery to the 12V battery if need be. The kit I bought from VIOFO in Europe had all the fuse cables etc needed. The USB cable to the rear cam was more than enough to feed cleanly to the rear hatch.
I drive a KIA Optima PHEV Sportswagon.

I don't know about the power req. I run mine of the steering wheel heater which is a 10A fuse, and I forget which constant I chose, but probably 10A as well. Turning the steering wheel heat on does not mess with the camera or blow any fuses.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

I too have the A129 pro duo and it seems to be working fine. I'll be honest though, nothing has happened since I got it over 6 months ago, so haven't had a reason to check. The only bad thing is that the front plate that you can connect and power it to doesn't seem to like the power input, so I ran the micro-USB straight to the front facing cam. Apparently a common problem, but doesn't really matter more than it's an extra step if you want to remove the front camera. Oh and I've had maybe 3-4 "corrupotions" of the SD card that it bleeps about when starting it. Can sometimes be solved by restarting and formatting in the cam, but once I had to remove the SD card.
I've got a plug-in hybrid, so I don't have to worry about the battery going flat as the car pulls from the big battery to the 12V battery if need be. The kit I bought from VIOFO in Europe had all the fuse cables etc needed. The USB cable to the rear cam was more than enough to feed cleanly to the rear hatch.
I drive a KIA Optima PHEV Sportswagon.

I don't know about the power req. I run mine of the steering wheel heater which is a 10A fuse, and I forget which constant I chose, but probably 10A as well. Turning the steering wheel heat on does not mess with the camera or blow any fuses.

Does your DC-DC converter engage when the car is off?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Charles posted:

Does your DC-DC converter engage when the car is off?

No idea. If it's the thing that the manual says enables the 12v battery to be topped up by the hybrid battery, I guess yes? Not familiar enough with what a DC-DC converter does etc to say much about it. :)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My go-to for hardwiring is this guy: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3DQRY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm and the appropriate sized fuse tap slotted into an ignition switched fuse. Works great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

No idea. If it's the thing that the manual says enables the 12v battery to be topped up by the hybrid battery, I guess yes? Not familiar enough with what a DC-DC converter does etc to say much about it. :)

On a full EV at least it will not charge the 12V battery with the car off. It usually disconnects the high-voltage battery entirely (loud click). But a dashcam isn't a huge drain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
EV1 was ahead of its time and could jump the accessory battery from the traction battery with a button under the dash.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Charles posted:

On a full EV at least it will not charge the 12V battery with the car off. It usually disconnects the high-voltage battery entirely (loud click). But a dashcam isn't a huge drain.

At least some hybrids are like this too, like the Volt.

I don't understand why...if the vehicle is plugged in, top everything off ffs.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Platystemon posted:

EV1 was ahead of its time and could jump the accessory battery from the traction battery with a button under the dash.

It reeeaaaaallly bugs me that this isn't commonplace. You're sitting on a poo poo ton of juice, but your 12v battery a little low? Sorry, gotta jump it. My mom drives her Prius like twice a month and went through two batteries in two years before I set her up with a tender.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Charles posted:

I checked the owners manual. The KIA Optima has a "AUX Battery Saver+" mode for the Plug-in hybrids that monitor the charge level of the "extra" 12V battery and will recharge it using the high voltage battery. If it happens too often though it will throw an error message with the motivation that something must be wrong if it needs charging too many times (more than 10 times in a row, and it charges for 20minutes at a time). I haven't had it whine at me. Only when I sit in the car shut off but with infotainment on for long periods of time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

I checked the owners manual. The KIA Optima has a "AUX Battery Saver+" mode for the Plug-in hybrids that monitor the charge level of the "extra" 12V battery and will recharge it using the high voltage battery. If it happens too often though it will throw an error message with the motivation that something must be wrong if it needs charging too many times (more than 10 times in a row, and it charges for 20minutes at a time). I haven't had it whine at me. Only when I sit in the car shut off but with infotainment on for long periods of time.

Nice!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Ak Gara posted:

I almost want to give him the benefit of doubt on a trailered vehicle taking an extra wide turn just to be safe...

I could understand it if he were already blocking the way but he waits until the OP arrives and then just decides to loving go for it at that moment.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DCOA hits don't stop coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPrnAZNA6jc&t=438s

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

opengl128 posted:

It reeeaaaaallly bugs me that this isn't commonplace. You're sitting on a poo poo ton of juice, but your 12v battery a little low? Sorry, gotta jump it. My mom drives her Prius like twice a month and went through two batteries in two years before I set her up with a tender.

The whole point is de-energizing the HV system. Any method of allowing the HV battery to connect itself would potentially risk the HV not de-energizing in a crash.

MrOnBicycle posted:

The only bad thing is that the front plate that you can connect and power it to doesn't seem to like the power input, so I ran the micro-USB straight to the front facing cam. Apparently a common problem, but doesn't really matter more than it's an extra step if you want to remove the front camera.
Yeah unfortunately this is a dumb design bug in early manufactured ones. They fixed it at some point to where the mount works properly.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 8, 2020

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

that "what the hell" had perfect comedic timing

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Smashey smashey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7kxBP8UmSE&t=438s

Just in rewatching the clip did I notice that the red truck appears to have started things off over in the right lane, then somehow swept across the entire road to the divider on the left, probably catching the other cars in his wake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

opengl128 posted:

I understand why it’s a desirable to have the high voltage system connected to loads at a single point, and absolutely disconnected while the car is “off”, but it would at least be nice if they’d made some attempt to have a minimal boot process before closing the relay to the DC–DC converter.

Instead they try to power everything at once. If the lead acid battery is marginal, it can’t meet this, and it takes a pretty decent portable battery to supply enough current for a jump.