Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Lake of Methane posted:

Is this a newly-revised flag that doesn't have the red diagonals from Saint Patrick's cross?

It’s a picture of utter heartbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
We all know that rally and motorcycle road racing is the real racing. Anyway, I think we can all agree that facists and all that aid and abet them are bad.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Around the Nuremburg trials the argument was made that some such people -- through their willful acceptance of an active role in such an inhumane, monstrous process(*) -- have in fact renounced their humanity.

(*) not to mention a refusal to acknowledge anything that would possibly stop them from being cruel

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
In any kind of civil war 2 situation the left gets chaos dunked on. The right has numbers, guns, and have been feeding on helicopter memes for long enough to not think of anyone to the left of manchin as people.

Libs won’t fight until it’s too late and lack the means if they wanted to. The left is so fractured and small that they would be swept away very quickly.

After having grown up hearing stories about my great grandpa fighting in the Czechoslovakian resistance during WW2, and what it was like in Prague for my grandma and great grandma during WW2, our CW2 situation sounds bleak. There won’t be any allies coming in 5 years, just the left being ground into dust. My family doesn’t have virtually any documentation from before their US naturalization because when my great grandpa was dying of cancer in the 80s he burned everything linking him to us because he thought the gestapo was still hunting him. They killed your family too if they caught you. They hung the bodies from the light poles and shot you if you took them down. Also judging from the way my great grandma hated every man she came in contact with they will do terrible things, unprovoked.

What I’m getting at with this is, that we better hope we find a way to sort this schism out peacefully or it ends badly, and that fighting will have terrible costs even if by some miracle the left holds its own.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PeterCat posted:

You realize that calling them chud's is dehumanizing them right?

But why is that bad, given the context of the characterization? Is dehumanization inherently bad, or only in the context of bigotry?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1335660569383358465?s=20

To the surprise of nobody

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

My "saying the quiet part loud" Bingo card is full.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But why is that bad, given the context of the characterization? Is dehumanization inherently bad, or only in the context of bigotry?

Proximately:
Because the original context was "They unlike us do a thing." I think an argument could have been made that the degree is different--that chuds are dehumanizing us more than we dehumanize them.

Remotely:
Decisions about people's lives, made without empathy cannot be compromises and cannot work without coercion and force or incredible luck. When dehumanizing others you are likely to replace old horrors with new horrors, or, if you lack sufficient capability to coerce, fail in your aims.

Its an information gap issue, hence the luck portion which acknowledges that correct decisions can be made without acceptable levels of knowledge. At the scale of governance, I'm not even sure if that's possible, I'm just willing to accept that its possible because I don't think it affects my point.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Richard Bong posted:

After having grown up hearing stories about my great grandpa fighting in the Czechoslovakian resistance during WW2, and what it was like in Prague for my grandma and great grandma during WW2, our CW2 situation sounds bleak.

This roughly parallels a realization I had a little while back. The resistance movements of WW2 were able to accomplish a lot through blending in and/or being able to hide out in relatively remote places with the help of a generally supportive population.

Can you imagine having do that today? You'd have FLIR-equipped Predators hunting for you 24/7, everything about you and who you talk to is in a database that is protected only by a thin veneer of rights that a fascist government could easily strip away, and good luck leaving no electronic traces without withdrawing from society entirely.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That's why organization/logistics needs to take priority in that situation. Cell Structure and INFOSEC/OPSEC can be hard to defeat, so long as you maintain discipline.

And that would lead to an increase in singleton operations.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Richard Bong posted:

What I’m getting at with this is, that we better hope we find a way to sort this schism out peacefully or it ends badly, and that fighting will have terrible costs even if by some miracle the left holds its own.

First, lol what universe will that happen. Second, mind explaining how this C-Spam doomerist :matters: bullshit helps anyone at all, and isn't in fact directly making things worse?

Don't make me tap the charts

staticman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 6, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Godholio posted:

They don't care. Introspection is not strong in this group. I've had this argument more times than I can count.

It's the least intellectually curious group I've ever interacted with. I assume this is also why they're happy to have the tv and radio tell them what to think.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
this is either

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1335679426516881409

1) about fuckin time

2) an excuse to pull him off the road

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the china virus

it just cant get more 2020 trump posting

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

this is either

1) about fuckin time

I honestly thought he already had it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

this is either

1) about fuckin time

"We love Rudy, don't we folks. He would've proved those nasty ugly non-American Democrat mayors stole the election from America but he got the China virus and now can't go to court." Trump probably

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow just catching up on the last couple pages and a lot of heated takes and loving rightfully so

loving perez won and mercedes put the wrong tyres on russell? what in the gently caress? i've never been more upset for a top 10 list of drivers i like

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh no. This is awful. I'm so upset. He might die before getting prosecuted.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

gently caress f1

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

maffew buildings posted:

wow just catching up on the last couple pages and a lot of heated takes and loving rightfully so

loving perez won and mercedes put the wrong tyres on russell? what in the gently caress? i've never been more upset for a top 10 list of drivers i like

This is the other worst thread so you didn't miss by much.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i guess this is the cosmic low backlash we get after the high with romain being ok after that crash

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Oh no, I thought car chat was over, but we hadn’t yet seen its final form.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Can we charge him with perpetrating biological/chemical warfare because of that COVID fart he let loose in Michigan?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Discussion Quorum posted:

This roughly parallels a realization I had a little while back. The resistance movements of WW2 were able to accomplish a lot through blending in and/or being able to hide out in relatively remote places with the help of a generally supportive population.

Can you imagine having do that today? You'd have FLIR-equipped Predators hunting for you 24/7, everything about you and who you talk to is in a database that is protected only by a thin veneer of rights that a fascist government could easily strip away, and good luck leaving no electronic traces without withdrawing from society entirely.

As demonstrated by the fact that the Taliban is winning in Afghanistan, while it is difficult to operate against the US, it is by no means impossible.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Can't wait to see what unhinged poo poo he can come up with now.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Popular support goes a long loving way toward defeating the US

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

facialimpediment posted:

this is either

1) about fuckin time

Point: this disease is a really lovely way to die and we really shouldnt wish that on anyone

Counterpoint: he's on TV 24/7 in the homes of the dumbest loving people and him dying might register the seriousness of this, increasing PPE usage and saving hundreds of lives.

Counter counter point: lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:bisonyes:

Though so many people have probably been collaterally exposed by that doofus.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

He has basically been taking the inverse of precautions for a very long time. If the announcement wasn't just plain bullshit, it very much could be his second go-round for what we know.

Sacrist65 posted:

Point: this disease is a really lovely way to die and we really shouldnt wish that on anyone

Counterpoint: he's on TV 24/7 in the homes of the dumbest loving people and him dying might register the seriousness of this, increasing PPE usage and saving hundreds of lives.

Counter counter point: lol

It's a poo poo way to die and I wish it was worse for people literally perpetuating the pandemic. It's a personal character flaw and I'm not going to be a "bigger person" about it, gently caress them all.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

:bisonyes:

Though so many people have probably been collaterally exposed by that doofus.

Pretty sure multiple state congressional chambers are going to be shut down due to his fuckery. It probably shuts off the whole "legislature appoints different electors" nonsense because those chambers probably can't even meet anymore :laugh:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1335688639737720843

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
He probably infected crazy drunk lady who stalked her ex-boyfriend by sending a sex tape of her and her ex-boyfriend to his current girlfriend.

And that would be a shame. Shine on, crazy drunk lady.

GB3Pwood
Sep 13, 2004
Insult Swordfighter
I am interested to see how many tweets DJT will put out before mentioning Pearl Harbor. Bonus if he compares it to the current attack on freedom and fair elections on American soil.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Pretty sure multiple state congressional chambers are going to be shut down due to his fuckery. It probably shuts off the whole "legislature appoints different electors" nonsense because those chambers probably can't even meet anymore :laugh:

True, I just meant like a person working at hotel or near him on a flight...you know that category. People not into the craziness or not being dumbasses.

Honestly if he hadn’t gotten it by now I was going to start suggesting we start draining his blood to see what the hell it has in it. Like apparently having your blood be 90% alcohol, might have an effect. Guess not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sacrist65 posted:

Do rich and well connected people even die of this any more?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Do rich and well connected people even die of this any more?

No. I will admit that, and I hate to say it, I can understand how it's hard for people who see their elderly and or obese heroes get covid and not die from it to take it seriously (because they're probably not putting two and two together that they're also all rich). It's possible that all of them getting sick and surviving has done more damage then it would if they hadn't gotten sick at all.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Internet Wizard posted:

As demonstrated by the fact that the Taliban is winning in Afghanistan, while it is difficult to operate against the US, it is by no means impossible.

I don't think Afghanistan is really directly comparable to an armed uprising of sorts in a Western country though. I think the closest we'll get to it is more Waco or Ruby Ridge type situations at most. The makeup of individual states and their interests are too different to have a organized uprising against the US without something like Confederate states having slavery as their economic system to unite them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E: nm

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Discussion Quorum posted:

If it got to this point I'd be long gone.
I'm more concerned about modern day Klan rides with coal rolling flag pickups.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Coal rolling at least is a self-correcting problem

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Coal rolling at least is a self-correcting problem

yup. its gonna correct the climate into killing us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sacrist65 posted:

I wish it on Rudy. I hope it's as bad as it gets.