Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My experience of office work:

"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"
"Have you got a minute?"

My experience of home working:

*blissful silence*

I know which one I prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

happyhippy posted:

This is ok if you have a good home space to work in.
This year has been a small first world version of hell for myself and a few others workwise...

That's really rough! Our office is opening up for a few others to do the same who want to so I hope you get the same. My company invested in everyone's workspaces that needed it. We got desks and pcs delivered to us and I just got a ps5 devkit too. Work provided noise cancelling headphones and keeps giving us just eat and amazon vouchers to make up for no team events.

Have you considered a good pair of headphones and asking your office to pay?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Spangly A posted:

the MP is a fascist who's being expelled and ignored for having sex with men, not breaking lockdown

he isn't, at least officially:

quote:

However, in a statement on Tuesday, the MEP said: "I regret that I broke the lockdown rules, that was irresponsible of me, and I will accept the sanctions that result."

I mean certainly it's an extra factor, but that's besides the point, comparing his suspension and resignation to literal disappearances of entire families is a bit much

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mebh posted:

That's really rough! Our office is opening up for a few others to do the same who want to so I hope you get the same. My company invested in everyone's workspaces that needed it. We got desks and pcs delivered to us and I just got a ps5 devkit too. Work provided noise cancelling headphones and keeps giving us just eat and amazon vouchers to make up for no team events.

From experience of noise issues (kids playing football next door IN THE (attached) HOUSE FFS, headphones, including noise-cancelling ones, only do so much for THUD THUD THUD noises.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Mebh posted:

Some people in the thread are saying their businesses are moving everything out of the UK. What does that entail? Physical offices? Assets? Manufacturing? Just where the business is registered? Most of our contracts are in USD so there's not much to move. I'm just hoping medical doesn't take a big a hit as we fear. I can always put my partner on a plane to the Netherlands or Germany if we run out of insulin but I don't think many have that option.

The company I work for is currently moving as much of its UK warehouse stock over to Europe as it can manage before the end of the year, because it would lose more business from shipping delays UK>ROW than it will the other way when the border gets hosed on Jan 1st. Not doxxing myself to say what industry I'm in but this is not a good sign for UK supply chains.

No idea what else they're planning, I'm not high enough up to hear about that :v:

Edit: Tldr UK manufacturing wasn't huge to begin with, and I would not be at all surprised if a lot of what we do make is leaving the country asap so it can be sold in countries with a currency that will still exist next year

vaguely fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 6, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Was the 'Last chance to request an extension is July' thing a self-inflicted deadline, or from the EU? If the former, wouldn't another option be we ask for another extension? (I mean, it's a terribly hopeful option, so it won't happen even if possible, but...)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angrymog posted:

Was the 'Last chance to request an extension is July' thing a self-inflicted deadline, or from the EU? If the former, wouldn't another option be we ask for another extension? (I mean, it's a terribly hopeful option, so it won't happen even if possible, but...)

It was part of the previous agreement so it would requre another signed agreement to change it. So yes we could just ask but there's really no time for anything right now and the EU seems institutionally sick of dealing with the UK.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mebh posted:

Thanks. Have a good set of headphones, only problem is that the main door for our apartment complex is right below, the vibrations come up and I feel them.
It's ok when I can hear the door sound as the brain matches it. But without it the brain thinks someones in the room. So if I go full hog with music, I end up looking at the door behind me every time at the slightest tremor. And with the one hopping up and down so hard sometimes this can be increased.

Now I love the place I am in, cheapest rent in the whole city for one, and I lived beside a creche for most of my life with all the noise from there. So noise in general isn't a thing.
Private live wise its good. But work wise its just not great for long term productivity.
And work does help with the small things, got a free proper office chair and webcam from them. But can't see them offering what would help stop these, like sound insulation or a gun.

WhatEvil posted:

From experience of noise issues (kids playing football next door IN THE (attached) HOUSE FFS, headphones, including noise-cancelling ones, only do so much for THUD THUD THUD noises.

Yeah, this.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 6, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

vaguely posted:

The company I work for is currently moving as much of its UK warehouse stock over to Europe as it can manage before the end of the year, because it would lose more business from shipping delays UK>ROW than it will the other way when the border gets hosed on Jan 1st. Not doxxing myself to say what industry I'm in but this is not a good sign for UK supply chains.

No idea what else they're planning, I'm not high enough up to hear about that :v:

I'm the lone outpost dude in the northern EU, while my boss and colleagues are all in London. I already started doing some repairs in my office (usually they go to London) while London people were on furlough, I might have a bunch more to do if shipping stuff to London becomes bogged down.

Even in the before-time, repairs from Norway would sometimes get stuck at Heathrow for no discernible reason other than "customs". And they're in the EEA and Schengen*, not the angry quitter section...

*but crucially not the customs union, as evidenced by the amusing 3-zone arrivals system at their airports: national, international, and "you can come in, but we're not sure about your stuff".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The counter argument to the "we don't care when you work as long as your tasks are done" idea is the same as the one for "unlimited annual leave". Personally I've ended up working more this year than before as everyone has moved to being always available. The delineation between work time and home time was reasonably clear before and I would only deal with genuinely urgent issues before.

Rather than working from home I've ended up living at work for quite a lot of 2020 and it sucks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

Thanks. Have a good set of headphones, only problem is that the main door for our apartment complex is right below, the vibrations come up and I feel them.
It's ok when I can hear the door sound as the brain matches it. But without it the brain thinks someones in the room. So if I go full hog with music, I end up looking at the door behind me every time at the slightest tremor. And with the one hopping up and down so hard sometimes this can be increased.

Now I love the place I am in, cheapest rent in the whole city for one, and I lived beside a creche for most of my life with all the noise from there. So noise in general isn't a thing.
Private live wise its good. But work wise its just not great for long term productivity.
And work does help with the small things, got a free proper office chair and webcam from them. But can't see them offering what would help stop these, like sound insulation or a gun.

Yeah, this.

Temporary solution: a small mirror behind your desk orientated so you can see the door to the room (or behind you so you can see noone's there without having to turn round). (This is how I watch tv when I'm working at my desk - small shelf behind my laptop with a mirror on it positioned so I can view the tv).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

knox_harrington posted:

The counter argument to the "we don't care when you work as long as your tasks are done" idea is the same as the one for "unlimited annual leave". Personally I've ended up working more this year than before as everyone has moved to being always available. The delineation between work time and home time was reasonably clear before and I would only deal with genuinely urgent issues before.

Rather than working from home I've ended up living at work for quite a lot of 2020 and it sucks.

A lot of my coworkers are like this, even working on their off days. I refuse to work one minute past my time if i'm not reimbursed with less time the day after and I will never call/email them on their off days even if they ask me to.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

thespaceinvader posted:

But the converse is that if remain had made those same choices... what could they have argued? How could they have lied to peple to make them change 40 years of embedded propaganda about how the EU is to blame for everything?

The 40 years of embedded propaganda against the EU isn't just the background noise though, it's part of the actual EU argument. Yes, the EU was blamed for national failures and national governments of both parties were happy to let the EU get blamed, that meant 40 years of embedded propaganda against the EU, but that only proceeded because the EU is fundamentally undemocratic, a consequence of which is that it never had to make it's case to the people and so was never forced to use any opportunity to make its case. Name one MEP besides Farage that has ever achieved anything of note, across all of Europe? gently caress it name one MEP besides Farage is a pretty tough question for most people.

If the EU was democratically accountable then it would inevitably have been making arguments to normal people, because it never was it never did and that's a massive part of why the largely irrational anti-EU prop was so successful.

OwlFancier posted:

There isn't a positive case for the EU though. The EU wasn't offering anything new, it was entirely about losing access to things that at the time the UK had access to.

I suppose the government, if it wanted to, could have said they would spend more money if remain won, but the question then becomes why not spend it anyway? Also lol @ cameron spending money.

This is also true, it's not just that the EU was vilified and never bothered to justify itself, it's also that the good things it does were just status quo and the poo poo things it does Cameron supported anyway, there was absolutely no positivist case for Remain besides vague unexamined principles and culture war.

In retrospect the only thing that would have kept the UK in the EU was gentle left populism

happyhippy posted:

This is ok if you have a good home space to work in.
This year has been a small first world version of hell for myself and a few others workwise. Started working from home in March, and it was great at first. Something different and exciting.
But cabin fever definitely sets in.

Yeah we were furloughed ~3 months this year but there was some long-term project stuff I could do from home and it drove me mental. Sitting in a pokey flat typing at a laptop, the time when you switch from a mug of coffee to a glass of wine next to you getting earlier every day, it was grim as hell.

Was at my sisters the other day though, her and her partner are just sitting round a fireplace getting their days work done in a couple of hours then doing Zoom yoga calls and mail-order wine tasting sessions and binging the leaked Cyberpunk I don't at all blame them for loving working from home.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

A lot of my coworkers are like this, even working on their off days. I refuse to work one minute past my time if i'm not reimbursed with less time the day after and I will never call/email them on their off days even if they ask me to.

This should be understood (but obviously isn't!)
It's the law in France.
I understand from my brother who works in France that the French are quite insistent on only working their paid hours, taking their full leave entitlement etc..

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's the law in France.
I understand from my brother who works in France that the French are quite insistent on only working their paid hours, taking their full leave entitlement etc..

I work for a non-profit that does good things, but i'm still an employee. I can see why other people feel the need to go above and beyond though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah we were furloughed ~3 months this year but there was some long-term project stuff I could do from home and it drove me mental. Sitting in a pokey flat typing at a laptop, the time when you switch from a mug of coffee to a glass of wine next to you getting earlier every day, it was grim as hell.
I'm working from home (and writing this post at 11pm) on a work PC that was moved here, in the room where all the poo poo that's waiting to be sorted, repaired, thrown away, or put in the shed goes (box room I guess?). They paid for all the stuff to get a VPN sorted out which was nice the bare minimum an employer should do, but then next door decided to do some home improvements, and there's a huge difference between working to schedule and working to schedule in a 12 foot room with nobody else in the house during the day surrounded by shite while someone uses a power tool on an adjoining wall.

Fortunately he's not an arsehole and we managed to get something sorted out, but that was a poo poo couple of days trying to get anything done.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'm working from home (and writing this post at 11pm) on a work PC that was moved here, in the room where all the poo poo that's waiting to be sorted, repaired, thrown away, or put in the shed goes (box room I guess?). They paid for all the stuff to get a VPN sorted out which was nice the bare minimum an employer should do, but then next door decided to do some home improvements, and there's a huge difference between working to schedule and working to schedule in a 12 foot room with nobody else in the house during the day surrounded by shite while someone uses a power tool on an adjoining wall.

Fortunately he's not an arsehole and we managed to get something sorted out, but that was a poo poo couple of days trying to get anything done.

So if you WFH guys who don't really have a suitable space had the option to go to a 'hub' space to work instead- if say going into the office is not an option, would you prefer that? (assuming the hub space was all done out covid-19 proof)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So if you WFH guys who don't really have a suitable space had the option to go to a 'hub' space to work instead- if say going into the office is not an option, would you prefer that? (assuming the hub space was all done out covid-19 proof)

I wouldn't trust it to be more COVID proof than my house with just me in it tbh

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The Guardian accidently ran a good op ed https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/06/our-attitudes-to-race-are-complex-our-response-to-racism-should-be-complex-too Didn't like the implication that "men who went to Eton" and "white cis men" makes any loving sense whatsoever as a comparison but whatevs we take what we gets.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1335734601612857345?s=19

Trueanon did an interview on spycops

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ronya posted:

I am a little skeptical - the usual suspects in the press have been angling for "blame Europe for the deal" for a while now but I don't know that this will actually stick
I'm curious about your scepticism. What makes you think its going to struggle to stick? I've met a lot of people who have happily embraced this narrative.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You lads complaining about noise clearly don't have good NC headphones. I got the Bose 700s from work, and I've managed to work from home while my whole house is being renovated (extension demolished, jackhammers breaking concrete outside my window, back wall of house removed). Sure, you can feel vibrations, but who cares?

Also, I do a couple of hours of actual work a day and just shitpost or gently caress about the rest of the time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
“just go get a 300 quid pair of headphones and you’re set”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

You lads complaining about noise clearly don't have good NC headphones. I got the Bose 700s from work, and I've managed to work from home while my whole house is being renovated (extension demolished, jackhammers breaking concrete outside my window, back wall of house removed). Sure, you can feel vibrations, but who cares?

Also, I do a couple of hours of actual work a day and just shitpost or gently caress about the rest of the time.

Sadly most people don't have work willing to splurge on actually good noise cancelling headphones

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

forkboy84 posted:

Sadly most people don't have work willing to splurge on actually good noise cancelling headphones

it's not quite the same but when i work from a coffeeshop i often put in earplugs then headphones on top of that, cranked. they can be turned to music (classical works well but isn't everyone's cup of tea; i just can't listen to lyrics when i'm writing), environmental sounds, whatever. works really well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Advent calendar chat:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's the law in France.

Tell that to ubisoft employees...

Our company went for a no crunch policy this year as well. Saying that crunch is a failure of production (it is... Sort of) the reaction of most staff was to say "so we just miss deadlines then?"

The problem being when you're a big games developer, every year from the big publishers you get a batch of things called RFPs. Request for proposal. Square or Microsoft or 2k or whomever will say "we have the rights to Monsters Inc. And Minecraft is big. Tell us how you'd make a mashup of those two."

They'll sent that to MANY developers. So it's a race to the bottom to say we'll develop it for less. They'll then ask for a prototype usually from several and only pick one.

This means you're always critically understaffed due to money. Which means to deliver something that please the publisher you have to either lie or crunch. I'm sure most folks here can point to numerous examples of both from games over the years.

Basically capitalism is the worst and we should go full star trek, invent replicators and remove money then explore space together.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

Tell that to ubisoft employees...

Our company went for a no crunch policy this year as well. Saying that crunch is a failure of production (it is... Sort of) the reaction of most staff was to say "so we just miss deadlines then?"

The problem being when you're a big games developer, every year from the big publishers you get a batch of things called RFPs. Request for proposal. Square or Microsoft or 2k or whomever will say "we have the rights to Monsters Inc. And Minecraft is big. Tell us how you'd make a mashup of those two."

They'll sent that to MANY developers. So it's a race to the bottom to say we'll develop it for less. They'll then ask for a prototype usually from several and only pick one.

This means you're always critically understaffed due to money. Which means to deliver something that please the publisher you have to either lie or crunch. I'm sure most folks here can point to numerous examples of both from games over the years.

Basically capitalism is the worst and we should go full star trek, invent replicators and remove money then explore space together.

Not just games developers. I have friends who were building software for all kinds of different applications in different companies and the company sales force were going out selling product that didn't exist or was just in beginning development so the developers were basically pressured into working every hour god sends to get a product finished and not-bookable against a client so it 'cost' them in terms of annual appraisals and such. (This stretches back to the early 1980s when graduating friends were first moving into software development, at least).

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

have you tried working in a different room?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

Update on my electrics situation. Three sockets had a loose neutral and one which was downstairs behind the heaviest cabinets and our entire covid/brexit food store had fused and burnt out as live /neutral had come loose and touched. Fun.

:eyepop:

How the gently caress didn't anything break before now with that poo poo? I was expecting one of the terminals to have corroded at worst, not 'yeah a bunch of cables aren't connected properly also these two now kiss'

Whoever last changed the sockets in that house needs an absolute smack.

Also please describe the face of said electrician as he uncovered each new wonder.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

No poo poo. Nowhere in that short post was I admonishing people for not having cash, or not being fortunate enough to have work supply equipment to them (though actually I bought them from the work store using bullshit fake-rear end points that employees can award each other for good worker-bee behaviour but that's besides the point)

Anyway, lol

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1335843018558074881?s=19

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

(though actually I bought them from the work store using bullshit fake-rear end points that employees can award each other for good worker-bee behaviour but that's besides the point)

Wait, what?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Niric posted:

Wait, what?

I had the same at Accenture - you get a certain amount of points per year and you can allocate them to other people as a ‘thank you’. I cashed mine in for Currys vouchers and bought a kenwood mixer.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mebh posted:

Update on my electrics situation. Three sockets had a loose neutral and one which was downstairs behind the heaviest cabinets and our entire covid/brexit food store had fused and burnt out as live /neutral had come loose and touched. Fun.

Lol I had something like that recently.

The switch for our power shower had wiring issues, the guy who lived her previously had put the wrong cable internally and it had been slowly overheating.

When the leccy took the casing off the switch the inside was totally melted and had been dripping molten plastic inside the wall. It was a loving miracle it didn't burn the house down.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

I had the same at Accenture - you get a certain amount of points per year and you can allocate them to other people as a ‘thank you’. I cashed mine in for Currys vouchers and bought a kenwood mixer.

The Human Race: *through sobs* you can't just say everything is Marketised .... Please....
The Glorious Free Market: *points at basic human decency* Marketised

Kenwood mixers are pretty good though

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Advent calendar chat:

That’s an Ivo Graham joke he’s nicked - who is the only comedian I can think of who actually went to Erin.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

:eyepop:

How the gently caress didn't anything break before now with that poo poo? I was expecting one of the terminals to have corroded at worst, not 'yeah a bunch of cables aren't connected properly also these two now kiss'

Whoever last changed the sockets in that house needs an absolute smack.

Also please describe the face of said electrician as he uncovered each new wonder.

After he determined it was definitely a fault and we were methodically checking the stickers one by one the very first one we checked was the oven and he went "aha that's come right off" as he checked it. He's pulled it out and neutral just fell out. He rechecked the board, abs there was still a fault but he was still cheerful, I said oh gently caress there's one behind all the cupboards, and he had this look of "of course it's going to be behind that one" but he said "not to worry, we'll check all the others first before we try to move that" so around we went.

Upstairs he was incredulous honestly, as the other two neutrals were just dangling and he had never seen the like. Some choice words were said about Barret homes. My wife then mentioned she'd been hearing a weird humming from one of the sockets but thought it was just the neighbours and he said "you didn't think to mention this til now?" (he'd been here 1.5 hours at this point and was missing the F1)

We checked again and no dice and we all slowly looked at the food store and went oh ffs. So my wife and I started frantically moving everything out throwing the contents of a sodding tardis onto the sofa so we could slide out the cabinets.

Here's what the sofa looked like after

(two massive cabinets behind the sofa, full of food, kitchen equipment and random poo poo all across their tops from various charity shops)

He pulled the socket off and went "Found the bastard!" Immediately. He was absolutely elated. Before going a fun shade of purple and handed me this:

I gave him a 4 pack of beer and he went home after we'd tested and rewired everything. He then only charged me 50 quid... Best electrician.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Seriously though, is this a common thing that's been happening for ages that I've never encountered before? Because in a year of a literal plague, this attempt to gameify the workplace with the lure of consumer goods in the most blunt, infantilising way possible seems a bit much

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This was good but grim

Special shout out to the cops employing child spies to disrupt the children's anti caning movement

And the woman spy cop who successfully took down the women's movement for equal pay while being paid less than male spies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Niric posted:

Seriously though, is this a common thing that's been happening for ages that I've never encountered before? Because in a year of a literal plague, this attempt to gameify the workplace with the lure of consumer goods in the most blunt, infantilising way possible seems a bit much

Most big companies have a "reward and recognition" budget where people can nominate others for vouchers or whatever.