Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Proteus Jones posted:

The pro is also the only one with night mode portraits (they all have night mode) according to the documentation on their site.

I like portrait mode but it's hard enough taking one in "natural" conditions and I can't imagine taking one in night mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On an iPhone 12 (using the back camera), is there any technical reason you can’t enable portrait mode on photos you took with non-portrait mode selected? It’s just using ML to do the masking, right?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

smackfu posted:

On an iPhone 12 (using the back camera), is there any technical reason you can’t enable portrait mode on photos you took with non-portrait mode selected? It’s just using ML to do the masking, right?

remember those light-field cameras that would let you change the focus point post-shot?

its like that, except Apple gives you limited control over how the bokeh effect is applied.

if you get the Focos App, it lets you view the pixels in 3D space and then adjust the front/back focus independently, including 'painting' in what parts should be in focus and whats not.

to answer your question, you cant turn a regular photo into a portrait photo directly. you can probably simulate it with a third party app, but if you Edit a portrait photo you'll notice you get the F stop option and the lighting option in addition to the regular edit controls.

Focos May very well let you 'convert' a photo but considering the original has no depth data in it, it will never be as perfect as shooting a portrait shot in the first place to edit later.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Laserface posted:

remember those light-field cameras that would let you change the focus point post-shot?

its like that, except Apple gives you limited control over how the bokeh effect is applied.

if you get the Focos App, it lets you view the pixels in 3D space and then adjust the front/back focus independently, including 'painting' in what parts should be in focus and whats not.

I remember when those came out and I really wanted one but never picked it up. Even if Focos cheats it's way to get there, thanks for this recommendation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does anyone use Google voice with an iPhone? It works very well was an android phone being able to be directly integrated into the dialer. Does that work at all in iOS?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does anyone use Google voice with an iPhone? It works very well was an android phone being able to be directly integrated into the dialer. Does that work at all in iOS?

It works pretty well on iOS. I don’t use it for outbound calls though- just receiving.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

I use Google voice as my exclusive number for calls and texts with the exception of like, 2-3 specific people that have my iMessage number.

Overall: works great. Only downside to google voice is it does not handle video messages well at all, so sometimes I don’t get a video message, or I have to reply “please re send to my other number.” And of course, you don’t get any of the iMessage features.

Some banks won’t let you use google voice as 2FA, although I’ve actually seen that become less of an issue over time.

I am currently using google voice text messaging with hangouts, which is (stupidly) getting sunset. I remember the voice was fine for text messages , but I haven’t had time to switch it back yet.

Only other downside I guess is you can’t click a number in a website and have it auto route to google voice. But I don’t really care much about that.

Main upside to google voice and reason I keep using it: just super useful in terms of using on multiple devices , and works on non Apple devices too. I’ve found it syncs better messages wise than iMessage, although that might just be me.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I got my 12 Pro and it feels way bigger than the 11 Pro

Also how fast is 5g supposed to be? Like I know the European phones have something missing? But doing a speedtest in a 5g area got results of like 250mbps and browsing felt much more responsive than on 4g.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Homekit compatible smart thermostat recommendations? Also is there a homekit thread?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Homekit compatible smart thermostat recommendations? Also is there a homekit thread?

Ecobee is supposed to be pretty good. Nests are well regarded if you're willing to gently caress around with Homebridge. There's not a HomeKit-specific thread, but the home automation thread is probably where you want to be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ecobee is probably the best homekit support out of the box, it's what I use at home.

And yeah, check that thread ^^^

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

track day bro! posted:

I got my 12 Pro and it feels way bigger than the 11 Pro

Also how fast is 5g supposed to be? Like I know the European phones have something missing? But doing a speedtest in a 5g area got results of like 250mbps and browsing felt much more responsive than on 4g.
Non US phones are missing the crazy stupid fast 5G (...that's barely anywhere and basically needs line of sight to small hyper local antennas), the other 5Gs are I dunno, similar or faster than 4G, depending on the state of your 4G and 5G networks. Probably improved latency too?

In my area the speed is maybe modestly faster, main useful thing I'm seeing is what seems to be more coverage I guess. Course that could just be a side effect of going from an old rear end phone (2016 iPhone SE) to a new one with better antennas.

edit: vvvvv yeah 250mbps is fast regardless. I think the fastest I've gotten is around 100, usually more like 30-50 when I've thought to test it out.

I have ecobees, they're fine. Nests look and physically control nicer, but not HomeKit without a bridge so eh (...course I have Homebridge set up now cause my garage).

Slightly confusing thing is that they have their own temperature scheduling and stuff while HomeKit can also do its own. Eventually I just said gently caress it and deleted my ecobee presets and have all my settings in HomeKit. Probably not as efficient as whatever smart thermostat magic but it works.

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 8, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know about 4g vs 5g, but 250mbps is not bad for any internet connection. How was latency?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Latency would have been fine at those speeds. 30/40ms. Underutilized tower or close is my guess

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

If you are in Europe Netatmo is a decent pick as long as you don’t have to rely on their valves, I have both and the valves are the weak link of the whole ecosystem. Thermostat works a treat, the valves are a pain in the rear end. Netatmo made the valve battery compartment too deep so the battery move around due to vibration and you get a lot of false notifications of dead batteries or broken valves, reseat the batteries and it works again, during winter I need to reseat batteries every three days or so.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Airpod Max announced

FIVE HUNDRED AND FOURTY NINE DOLLARS :lol:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I’m surprised the beatsflex were only $50. I dig ‘em so far. Used the beatsx a lot. I know most those beats ear buds just weren’t popular at all.

Wear my studio 3s for about five hours a day tho

Also the way I understood it was less about 5g being crazy fast and more about it sharing the amount of users on one bandwidth or idk thus faster for everyone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is an absurd price because there's no way they sound like $550 headphones should, but I've been so impressed with my airpods pro I could see myself enjoying these when I don't want poo poo stuck in my ears.. if they were under $300.

Also if they folded up. Just lol at that "case" design with the head loop sticking out. Good luck putting those into any bag and not loving them up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You could buy both industry leading noise canceling headphones in their respective size categories for less than that one pair of Apple headphones.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm4

https://www.sony.com/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000xm3

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also the way I understood it was less about 5g being crazy fast and more about it sharing the amount of users on one bandwidth or idk thus faster for everyone?

Yes, a big part of 5G is being able to handle something like 10x’s the connected devices that LTE can.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

5G has a better ability to handle multiple devices connected to it thanks to beamforming. This is where it directs the transmission only to the device that is attempting to communicate with the tower. It essentially allows that same frequency to be used at multiple arcs across the tower’s vision.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

everyone clutches their pearls at the original airpod prices but y’all sure as poo poo went and bought them day one

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

SlowBloke posted:

If you are in Europe Netatmo is a decent pick as long as you don’t have to rely on their valves, I have both and the valves are the weak link of the whole ecosystem. Thermostat works a treat, the valves are a pain in the rear end. Netatmo made the valve battery compartment too deep so the battery move around due to vibration and you get a lot of false notifications of dead batteries or broken valves, reseat the batteries and it works again, during winter I need to reseat batteries every three days or so.

Can second this, netatmo works really well.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was really close to getting the 12 Mini to save some money, but ultimately I can't go back to a phone that small. Even if it's only slightly smaller than my 8, and the screen is bigger, it somehow feels like I'm holding a 5/5S again. So I'm still debating between the 12 and 12 Pro. I noticed the 12 Pro is sold out everywhere. I haven't been following, has this been a trend for a while? If I order it, how likely is it to arrive in a month like Apple says?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

everyone clutches their pearls at the original airpod prices but y’all sure as poo poo went and bought them day one
That was $160 which is the cost of a dinner or movie night out for a family.

$550 is nearly a rent payment for most.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

The gently caress kind of family spends $160 on one dinner but only $550 on rent?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?s=20

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who's the lucky bastard with a $600 rent? Or are we talking unused sheds behind someone's house?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was really close to getting the 12 Mini to save some money, but ultimately I can't go back to a phone that small. Even if it's only slightly smaller than my 8, and the screen is bigger, it somehow feels like I'm holding a 5/5S again. So I'm still debating between the 12 and 12 Pro. I noticed the 12 Pro is sold out everywhere. I haven't been following, has this been a trend for a while? If I order it, how likely is it to arrive in a month like Apple says?

12 Pro has been back ordered to hell yeah. My guess, is that it’s a combo of more early adopters buy the Pro, and given the 12 and 12 Pro likely use mostly the same parts, Apple probably prioritized manufacturing a poo poo ton of regular 12s since long term the 12 will no doubt outsell the other 3.

Regular 12 inventory is very good, the Mini inventory is extremely good because only certain people will buy it, and the Pro Max’s are getting pretty readily in stock. I think the 12 Pro will be hard to find in a retail store, but I would bet they may ship faster than the shipping dates being given.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

spend less on eating out and use the savings to upgrade from the charlie bucket house y'all are crammed into

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

$30 per person for a family of 4 = $120. Add 8% tax and 20% tip and you’re up to $156.

As for $550 rent, it’s true that’s not a realistic number for a family of 4 but it’s definitely doable for shared rent in a lot of suburbs. You don’t even have to go super rural.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
AirPods were also very unique when they first launched. Even today competitors can't seem to be quite as good.

These are competing against existing products that are half the price.

Edit: Reminds me of the Homepod. It might be better audio but most people just buy little Alexas.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 8, 2020

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

I don't know about 4g vs 5g, but 250mbps is not bad for any internet connection. How was latency?

I'd have to check next time I go out because apparently I live in some sort of mobile phone blackspot for my network.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Well i was expecting them but bought a set of airpods pro on black friday, so you guys can thank me later. The command set is a bit passè imho, the volume "digital crown" is tacky as gently caress and the folding system is a bit bad(rather than fold on themselves, they fold flat meaning they occupy a fuckload of space).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

That folding is going to put off a lot people that would consider getting them instead of Quiet Comforts for work flights. Then again, not many people are going on work flights at the moment so who knows. Gunna see some flexes on Zoom calls.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Airpods own because they sound (relatively) good, work seemlessly across devices without re-pairing, charge themselves in the case, and fit nicely in your pocket. It changed how most people used earpods.

Maybe I'm not the kind of guy who appreciates over the ear headphones, but this seems like a real stretch. Doesn't really change the use of them, but maybe I'm missing it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Airpods own because they sound (relatively) good, work seemlessly across devices without re-pairing, charge themselves in the case, and fit nicely in your pocket. It changed how most people used earpods.

Maybe I'm not the kind of guy who appreciates over the ear headphones, but this seems like a real stretch. Doesn't really change the use of them, but maybe I'm missing it.

Every decent set of Bluetooth headphones these days can pair with multiple devices and will connect to whichever one is on when you power it on.

I wouldn’t consider saving 15 seconds the first time you turn on the headphones for them to automatically pair with your device to be a terribly valuable feature.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Every decent set of Bluetooth headphones these days can pair with multiple devices and will connect to whichever one is on when you power it on.

I wouldn’t consider saving 15 seconds the first time you turn on the headphones for them to automatically pair with your device to be a terribly valuable feature.

Have you used Airpods? They work a bit better than that. I can have my iPad or Macbook out watching a video and grab my phone for a second to watch a quick video on something and it seamlessly switches back and forth literally as audio is playing on either device without thinking about it or pairing. It just instantly changes back and forth.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$

lmao, holy poo poo

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nitrousoxide posted:

True enough, but as Disappointing Pie says, they work REALLY well to transfer over without fuss. I can easily switch to a call on my phone from my iPad with one touch of a button instead of navigating menus or having awkward drops/hangups/etc.

That all works well in the price point of the Airpods and Airpods Pro, there's a premium there, but I sense the value.

The Pods Max... not seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm trying to restore an old iPhone 6s, but I keep getting an error (4013). I'm restoring it through iTunes and I've tried different USB ports, different cables, different computers and I keep getting the same error. Any suggestions?