Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The only thing about having a headset strap running over the middle of your head is that after a session you end up with a Simon Cowell hairdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KinkyJohn posted:

The only thing about having a headset strap running over the middle of your head is that after a session you end up with a Simon Cowell hairdo

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Drop Dead is the daily deal, and it looks cool, and co-op horde mode looks appealing.

Is it worth $12 for the Quest 2? I think the trailer uses Rift graphics though.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Leal posted:

If you ever play Skyrim VR, do not

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
man, still waiting for any news on my G2

seems to be taking foreverrrrrrrrr

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ROFLBOT posted:

man, still waiting for any news on my G2

seems to be taking foreverrrrrrrrr

It took like 14 weeks between order and arrival for my Index. Hang in there and be strong, soon the VR will arrive.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 7, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Medal of Honor VR and Cyberpunk launching on the same day isn't enough, so Myst VR is also launching on December 10th

Course that's Quest only, and PC VR will take a bit longer but is coming.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

8one6 posted:

It took like 14 weeks between order and arrival for my Index. Hang in there and be strong, soon the VR will arrive.

smh i just checked the order status with HP

Ordered in September

due to ship the friday before christmas... it will take about 5 days to get here, probably more because christmas. Delivery address is my work, which will be closed by then. FFS.

Currently pulling a Karen online to see if they can get stock to ship earlier...

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I installed sportscramble on my Q2, opened the tutorial for baseball, threw the ball for a strike and immediately suspected that my aim doesn't even matter. So to test I threw the ball way off by almost 90 degrees and it still went into the strike zone. So I uninstalled.

Are there any good sport games where actual hand eye coordination matters, or is it a technical limitation with controller tracking, so they all heavily assist with aiming?

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

KinkyJohn posted:

I installed sportscramble on my Q2, opened the tutorial for baseball, threw the ball for a strike and immediately suspected that my aim doesn't even matter. So to test I threw the ball way off by almost 90 degrees and it still went into the strike zone. So I uninstalled.

Are there any good sport games where actual hand eye coordination matters, or is it a technical limitation with controller tracking, so they all heavily assist with aiming?

I've only played the demo but I'm pretty sure that sports scramble has a few different options for how you throw the ball. There's definitely a realistic one where it goes where you throw but theres also an option where it just goes to wherever the cather is and you use the thumbstick to move the catcher around. Have you tried looking in the game options to see if you can change it? You might only be able to see the option from within the baseball game itself, I can't remember.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KinkyJohn posted:

The tracking is amazing that game just sucks. I've been playing the hell out of Eleven Table Tennis and it has remarkably accurate physics and really manages to feel like you're actually playing ping pong. I feel like my play in game is pretty similar to my real life play.

I also got Premium Bowling and it works well too. Those games are both a little pricy for being fairly simple experiences but they're well made and I bought them to play online with my mom, so they were worth it for me.
Oh and Lone Echo is the best sports game in VR, even if it is a made up sport. It's kind of like zero g soccer, and it's ridiculously fun and has a high skill ceiling (but good multiplayer matching).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KinkyJohn posted:

Eleven TT is purely physics driven.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skyrim VR owns.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some Oculus guys shares videos of MoH. Graphics are good, ragdolls are good, sounds are good, there is survival mode with modifiers, museum too, a gauntlet, but the weapon reload seems very arcade and simplified.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/k87too/medal_of_honor_developer_shares_a_reddit/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
G2 havers, is there something this guy is doing wrong or is performance really this bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZD3APtYxm8

I am looking at a G2 for sim stuff and am curious

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

G2 havers, is there something this guy is doing wrong or is performance really this bad?

I don't have it, but well, like he says: 'this has a lots of pixels to throw around'. Although I wonder if he is doing something wrong like you said, because I raised an eyebrow when he commented '20 fps in some modern games'.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't have it, but well, like he says: 'this has a lots of pixels to throw around'. Although I wonder if he is doing something wrong like you said, because I raised an eyebrow when he commented '20 fps in some modern games'.

People in the comments are saying you have to have the render at 50%, so hopefully his next video is more positive.
I like the guy, he's not a tech nerd but is pretty into VR and loves his sim racing

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

KinkyJohn posted:

I've been enjoying Echo VR

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

KTS posted:

Scored my RTX 3060Ti today, I think tonight I'll finally play Alyx, bought it a while ago and just never got around to playing it. The old 1660Ti is going into a dedicated VR pinball PC to run the pinsim controller I'm building currently, still need to grab a few more parts for the controller then start my woodworking.

Whoa! I'm keeping my eyes out for the 3060ti (as the thread recommended). How'd you score one? Did you set up alerts or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

Some Oculus guys shares videos of MoH. Graphics are good, ragdolls are good, sounds are good, there is survival mode with modifiers, museum too, a gauntlet, but the weapon reload seems very arcade and simplified.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/k87too/medal_of_honor_developer_shares_a_reddit/

I dunno, I still think the game looks very flat.

Although I guess they're going for a very realistic experience, but it still feels like its lacking a lot of post-processing.

Some scenes are better than others though, the office feels better than the train for whatever reason.

Are those automatic reload animations? Yuck!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 7, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
From https://www.roadtovr.com/medal-of-honor-above-and-beyond-preview-campaign-multiplayer/

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UntriedClosedBluetonguelizard-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DelectableRecentDrever-mobile.mp4

Lmfao

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, gently caress 2020 with its buggy games.

I'm going to play some 2019 games, or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That was insanely frustrating to watch

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, gently caress 2020 with its buggy games.

I'm going to play some 2019 games, or something.

If there were bugs I would be more willing to give it a pass but according to the guy this is just the way picking stuff up works, there's a weird telekinesis thing that's based on an unclear position of your hand that fucks up constantly if you try to pick things up in any way that makes sense, which I consider a far greater sin

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

If there were bugs I would be more willing to give it a pass but according to the guy this is just the way picking stuff up works, there's a weird telekinesis thing that's based on an unclear position of your hand that fucks up constantly if you try to pick things up in any way that makes sense, which I consider a far greater sin

With the first gif, it seems to me the collision block or whatever it detects the object to pick with telekinesis isn't selecting the nearest object as it should. It's my guess that's a bug, and not what the programmer really intended to do!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYIXcx6liw

Ouch.

Oculus strategy of funding external devs for games isn't working, because it seems the devs just take the money and run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

With the first gif, it seems to me the collision block or whatever it detects the object to pick with telekinesis isn't selecting the nearest object as it should. It's my guess that's a bug, and not what the programmer really intended to do!

It sure is pretty funny behavior. Its not that they're doing collision detection because he's not even touching it.

Its not selecting the nearest, its casting a ray and picking the one you're pointing towards. Except something about the hitboxes is hosed up and there's overlap so its having a real hard time picking the one in-between, it keeps hitting either the side ones. That's my guess, the rifle hitboxes are just too big. Or its just some inherent bug in the thing that's casting rays and picking objects. Maybe it doesn't "deselect" until you're X degrees away from the thing you were looking at, causing it to stick unless you look far enough away that you grab the other one, and back and forth. Something like that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

From the review:

quote:

After struggling to understand exactly how the object selection worked, I found an option which turns on a visual indicator that draws faint lines out of your hands to show where you’re actually ‘pointing’. While this made it easier to understand how the game was making its choice, it didn’t make things much more intuitive, and I continued to often grab the wrong thing at the wrong time. This was especially annoying when trying to grab a grenade from my chest but my hand would inexplicably grab the handle of my gun even though it was much further away.

Yeah you could say it's "buggy" in that the specific gun might have a weird collision box or whatever for determining if it's being "selected" but it seems more that the underlying issue is going to exist no matter what, which would require some more fundamental change to feel good. It's obviously straight up not using "nearest" as a factor, there's some weird method of pointing so if you go close to the thing you wanna grab you might overshoot it and select some random thing further away

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Ouch.

Oculus strategy of funding external devs for games isn't working, because it seems the devs just take the money and run.

Honestly my suspicion is that they work as hard at it as they do any other game, but since VR is so new there isn't that institutional knowledge built up of how to do things, so they flub basic poo poo. Which is to say that that's how they make their regular games too, and if it weren't for institutional experience keeping everything together then EVERYTHING would be just as lovely. And they are too hubristic to actually pay attention to what other people are doing and learning from that. Insomniac and RAD both did a great job with their first games (Unspoken and Lone Echo/Echo Arena) and they were funded externally, it feels like the main difference is that they were humble enough to try to figure out how to do things first without just plowing ahead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Ouch.

So you can do manual reloads at least.

This is a good review, he hits on the exact tonal conflict I was questioning ITT earlier. The theater videos talk about the seriousness of war and then the actual gameplay is cartoony as all can be. That doesn't really jive.

I'll pick this one up on sale in 6 months, seems like a miss but probably still somewhat fun.

Also LOL that they have the giant menu screens issue. Haven't seen that since War Thunder like 2 years ago.

Lemming posted:

Honestly my suspicion is that they work as hard at it as they do any other game, but since VR is so new there isn't that institutional knowledge built up of how to do things, so they flub basic poo poo. Which is to say that that's how they make their regular games too, and if it weren't for institutional experience keeping everything together then EVERYTHING would be just as lovely. And they are too hubristic to actually pay attention to what other people are doing and learning from that. Insomniac and RAD both did a great job with their first games (Unspoken and Lone Echo/Echo Arena) and they were funded externally, it feels like the main difference is that they were humble enough to try to figure out how to do things first without just plowing ahead.

I was about to suggest the exact same.

The thing is your AAA company can hop into an FPS knowing exactly what to do, with a game engine already in place, and just quickly work on making THE GAME, getting those assets and levels right.

With VR its easy to blow through your entire budget just testing and learning what works and what doesn't, and then you realize you have to make a game and rush.

This is why almost all the early VR games were really short. And most still are shorter than flatscreen games in general.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

Drop Dead is the daily deal, and it looks cool, and co-op horde mode looks appealing.

Is it worth $12 for the Quest 2? I think the trailer uses Rift graphics though.

I've got a lot of mileage out of it as an "intro to vr shooters" game to show to people, especially the horde mode.

I don't really play it much myself though.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
well the good news is cyberpunk is coming out so I can just play that and wait and see if moh gets its poo poo together

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Reek posted:

well the good news is cyberpunk is coming out so I can just play that and wait and see if moh gets its poo poo together

Well, about that... I have bad news for you. Reviews got out today, and... man I can't break your heart...

CP2077 also needs some time to gets its poo poo together

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Myst is also coming out this week! If it's also bad I will cry

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The syringes of magic healing potion on your wrist sure feels real anachronistic in a "serious ww2 game" where there's interviews with veterans

They also did a "bloody screen" in a VR game lmao, Respawn never changes

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

loving *oof*.

To be fair this is an area that is quite complicated to get right. Balancing the auto pickup box size with something that selects what you are picking up can lead to unintuitive selection boxes, devs usually make a few passes at this before getting it right. The only devs who got it right off the bat was Onward and Stand Out.
Onward did medium sized autograb hand/item boxes but with discrete selection options so you had to use trigger or grip for different things, which split up where you might have a conflict. This worked out pretty well.
Stand Out did it by seemingly having just the right sized boxes on both the hand and the object, along with some similar gating of grabbing items vs weapons to different buttons (which I pushed them to do based on Onwards experience), and by allowing you to sort inventory the way you wanted. For basic rear end weapons with no drop mag button I could do combat reloads of weapons *so fast* because it was all so accurate.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Ouch.

yuuup this p much confirms every single doubt i had with this game. looks like it's a miss/grab when 75% off for me

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lemming posted:

Myst is also coming out this week! If it's also bad I will cry

I'm hoping the flat-screen version isn't too far behind since it looks like the Oculus version is Quest only, which is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Ahahahahahahahaha what a garbage game.